Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a mutie?
Yes
No
View Results

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world

STAC Goat posted:

I think they actually managed to make Danger Room even more annoying.

I reluctantly agree. I'm sure some of this is my fault, I can't figure out Danger Room for poo poo and just end up mashing buttons. But the Special Skills seem to either win outright or do absolutely nothing, and I'd rather blame that than my incompetence. At least they're tinkering with it? That's good? I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
There hasnt been a post for a month, sheesh

The game really stagnated huh

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm still playing and enjoying. Just what you gonna post about unless you're super hype for T3 Ghost Rider?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm still getting my daily crystals but have realized I don't enjoy playing the game at all anymore. I also kind of feel bad about just throwing away all the time invested in my setup, so I don't know.

I still have my plans to pick up Mystique on Black Friday but that might change.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I go through ebbs and flows. It is what it is. A time killer game. Right now I don't have as much time where I'm bored and not engaging with someone else so the game feels like a chore sometimes and I skip a few things if I don't feel like them. But I'm sure sooner or later there will be a new Epic Quest or game mode or lull in my interests and I'll get a big more into it again.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'm still plugging along working up T3s but haven't bothered with Shadowlands in weeks and Danger Room in months. I did notice yesterday they show Prof X and Abom dropping from the daily chests so i might give it a try again. I thought they were only available from a weekly reward chest from placing high in the rankings. Even when I played DR several times a day for quests when it was new I apparently never played enough to even rank so I wrote it off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually got Abomination bios from a Danger Room chest a couple of weeks ago, so it really does happen and makes it kind of worth plugging along at it. Even though I hate New Danger Room in a way I didn't hate Old Danger Room.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

danger room is lousy but tolerable. the wait to get into danger room matches is intolerable

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

What are the active goon alliances at the moment?

Barkhawk
Dec 23, 2006

Doctor Goons is active! Our alliance bonuses and store are at max level. Just post in the thread after you apply with your account name and one of us will approve you.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

absolute j-unit posted:

Doctor Goons is active! Our alliance bonuses and store are at max level. Just post in the thread after you apply with your account name and one of us will approve you.

Rock. Just applied under my real name starting with J, ending with Z.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I basically play to collect characters at this point.

I completely forgot about the mega t2 I had so i used it on Anti-Man.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have 2 mega t2s. Just grabbed Yelena and am thinking of using one on her but figured I'd wait until after the update and the new round of characters.

As much as some seem over the game I think they've done a good job stretching out the updates now so we basically get something new every week or so. So like T3 Venom and Shriek and Knull coming and nothing else announced yet but 3 weeks from now we could probably get a T3 Carnage or some other Symbiote characters or something.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Isn't Dracula also being added?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't seen anything. That would be cool but maybe you're just confusing him with Knull who kind of has a Dracula vibe? So far the confirmed seem to be T3 Venom, Scream, Knull, and Spider-Woman.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The symbiote related characters, costumes, and boss in the next update looks amazing. Everyone's blowing up over the CTP and premium card reforging though, where you can improve them by feeding them CTPs and premium cards respectively. You can only use energy CTPs to reforge energy CTPs etc, and can't reforge rage yet. For the cards it looks to be any premium card. Both are RNG heavy with the extra stats you get and a very low chance to go radiant for the CTPs. Pretty insane. Over 3 years I've probably spent $100 worth of crystals on card chests trying to get premium cards and I think I've gotten 3. All during premium card chance up events because the gambler in me wants to finish off the original comic card sets.

So I guess this is something I'll continue to ignore and just means I'll get more pasted in timeline as I bounce between platinum and vibranium every week (may not even hit vibranium anymore). But the people who do want to be competitive are complaining harder than I've seen since the ultimates (which I did admittedly whale on). Hopefully the devs come to their senses. If not they are going all in on the whales.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My alliance is all freaking out about it and I just can't bring myself to care. Like, whatever. The whale stuff is the whale stuff. I tried with Timeline for like a month once I had my roster strong. I managed to go a perfect 80-0 a few weeks and still couldn't break the top 100 so I just gave up caring. Unless i need 10 wins for a Heroic Quest its all academic. And eventually I'll get used to the fact that its impossible to win in Danger Room now unless you team up with a whale.

I'm just here for the cool rear end characters and costumes.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 24, 2020

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Yeah, I don't give a poo poo about "not being competitive" with whales. I just don't care about rankings or versus stuff.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I got my premium tier 2 selector and while I know Yelena kicks rear end I’m VERY tempted to get someone like Slapstick because, as mentioned, I’m also here for costumes and characters

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

slapstick is really good too, just probably not as useful in as many gameplay modes

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world

STAC Goat posted:

And eventually I'll get used to the fact that its impossible to win in Danger Room now unless you team up with a whale.

I'm just here for the cool rear end characters and costumes.
Thank you for this validation. I keep waddling in with what I think is my A-squad and they're either getting carried or murdered.

Having a whale on the other side is actually a mercy, since it keeps the game nice and short.

But yeah, I'm enjoying putting bells and whistles on Beta Ray Bill and Kamala and the like, even if at times it's Marvel Presents Progress Quest.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its kind of a relief when I get murdered in Danger Room because at least I know I'll get out of there and a box fast. Its exhausting spending forever banging away on it and barely doing anything even with my biggest gun. I really hate the change to Danger Room. I'm accepting its a whale thing and I guess if you have your beasts you can go and win and chase the rankings. I'm bummed I can't just methodically work my way up the ranks to get the best box by the end of the month but like... whatever. As long as I get my daily box maybe eventually I'll get enough bios to unlock Abomination or Prof X.

Fneeb
Feb 13, 2012
Did Daisy get her T3 and become rightful queen of the Blasts yet? I'd also accept Lincoln as a comedy option.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Fneeb posted:

Did Daisy get her T3 and become rightful queen of the Blasts yet? I'd also accept Lincoln as a comedy option.

They've both been forgotten. Black Bolt got T3 and Medusa got awakened skill so they went back to ignoring the inhumans. I'm curious if we'll get Eternals soon or if they found out about the movie delay in time to put it off unlike the Black Widow tie in.

I've got enough for a new midrange T3. I have ready:

Odin, Silver Surfer
Dr Strange, Wolverine, Quicksilver
Hulk, Ghost Rider, Magneto

Winter Soldier is 70 but needs gear. Black Bolt, Dormammu and Ant Man are still 60. Venom is stuck at 60 until the patch. I think that's everyone.

The only chars I actively use out of that bunch are the three mid rangers and of the 3 only Wolverine has any trouble with his fights. I just noticed I haven't touched his iso set since year one though so updating that should help. I'm tempted to just bump Ghost Rider or Hulk then start saving again to see how Venom is and who is announced next.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Hulk is an enjoyable T3. I've tricked him out with his Immortal uni as much as possible and he smashes pretty good.

I've just awakened Red Guardian because I could. I haven't gotten his uni though. Next time I have enough Mandelay things I can transcend the potential with him. Not sure I'll have anyone else awakened when that happens sometime next decade.

I've got Surfer at Level 66 without that uni. He's going to be my next focus, and it will take a long drat while to get him to T3. Thankfully, don't care much for symbiotes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Xavier at t3 is pretty solid.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

bagrada posted:

They've both been forgotten. Black Bolt got T3 and Medusa got awakened skill so they went back to ignoring the inhumans. I'm curious if we'll get Eternals soon or if they found out about the movie delay in time to put it off unlike the Black Widow tie in.

I've got enough for a new midrange T3. I have ready:

Odin, Silver Surfer
Dr Strange, Wolverine, Quicksilver
Hulk, Ghost Rider, Magneto

Winter Soldier is 70 but needs gear. Black Bolt, Dormammu and Ant Man are still 60. Venom is stuck at 60 until the patch. I think that's everyone.

The only chars I actively use out of that bunch are the three mid rangers and of the 3 only Wolverine has any trouble with his fights. I just noticed I haven't touched his iso set since year one though so updating that should help. I'm tempted to just bump Ghost Rider or Hulk then start saving again to see how Venom is and who is announced next.

You have those ready to t3??

Silver surfer is arguably the best char in the game, he is so broken for pvp and can do pretty high WB even with a pvp build.
ghost rider is fun as heck, does a shitload of dmg, but his survivability isnt amazing. but he's half the cost of silver surfer or odin.
odin's damage is great but i think he needs a rage to really shine.
same with dr. strange, needs his latest uni and rage to be op good. also his playstyle can be annoyng (you literally push buttons as fast as possible, its dumb)
magneto does cover blast villain which is needed for diff game modes, and he's good with his newest uniform, but he's not in same league as silver surfer.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I'm very slow on CCF but big on the other stuff so I've got a lot of people with maxed gear. I'll probably bump Silver Surfer by this weekend but I'll hold off until then to see if I wanna go fight the new boss who requires T3s and awakened chars. I might want to go wide with Hulk and Ghost Rider to get two more T3s.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
Man, people are pissed about this update. I really don't get why though. You don't have to participate in the new card/ctp system if you don't want to.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, on some level I get a basic frustration at a system geared towards the rich getting richer and making some game modes basically impossible to the rest of us.

But i just don't care. I can write off the PvP stuff as things I do out of necessity to get exclusive stuff or fill challenges and just move on. Some people just care more about those parts or have harder time letting go, i guess.

But like way back when I first joined the game people were screaming the same stuff about the Ultimates coming in and being guys only the whales could get. And I just shrugged, slowly farmed them in the lab, eventually got them, and now they're basically useless. It feels like a cycle.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I think the players who invested a lot in staying competitive now have to pay a lot more to reach the new competitive level and/or stay #1 with their favorite character(s). A youtuber I watched mentioned they will have to go from spending hundreds a month to spending thousands a month. I don't know how hyperbolic that is. The super whales to whom microtransactions are peanuts will happily do it and the others will have to keep up. And those of us who budgeted out will continue to ignore the new options.

The gacha in this game is kind of weird. I was happy to spend to get the ultimates when they were released because I really enjoyed the characters and the power level on the premium ones helped me a lot at the time. I felt I got my moneys worth. I understood why others were pissed, but I'd seen worse in other games. I've never been happy with a card or custom gear chest purchase though and swore off them pretty fast when I saw there was no guarantee I'd get the ones I wanted without spending way more than I was comfortable with. I haven't even felt the need to get most of the guaranteed ones from the legendary battles.

All that said my minor irritation today is I'm at 998/1000 titan component packs towards Silver Surfer T3. I did a low level Quicksilver even though I usually reroll him, because you need to do 5 of everyone to unlock symbiote Dracula. So tomorrow's the big day.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well now I'm mad because it means I'll have to break my Thanos WBR boycott.

Not because its unfair or anything. Just because Thanos is a dick to fight.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I just had over 30 Enhance Potentials fail in a row. :psyboom:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Well now I'm mad because it means I'll have to break my Thanos WBR boycott.

Not because its unfair or anything. Just because Thanos is a dick to fight.

You can pay crystals to skip that part. I didn't look at the cost but its 50% off right now, so if you do all the easy ones then you can pay just to clear Thanos. Whether it is worth it to fight this new boss who is probably tuned around the new upgrades, who knows.

That said I beat Thanos regularly as long as I'm paying attention. Sometimes Lady Deadpool and Luna Snow (Misty lead, fox lady assist) will paste him from full to dead in one glorious shot. Otherwise he has a bunch of phases and I mostly have them figured out. Assuming you trigger them all, first he has random portal lines that you can dodge. I usually get tagged by one or two but the chars I'm using shrug it off (Jean, Cap Marvel, Luna, Lady Deadpool, Mr Fantastic). Then he calls in proxima and corvus. I swap to a character I don't mind losing, start on the right, dodge the first purple lines then just sweep left while trying to dodge the fire and lead the purple circles. Sometimes I can flow in between the fireballs like its the matrix, sometimes Namor or Silver Surfer gets chain stunned and blasted down by the purple circles. After that he summons a bunch of gold homing orbs and you can wait until they appear then swap back to your main and they will poof. Or if you are trigger happy or lost your sacrificial goat, most of the main chars can shrug off getting hit those orbs especially if you are in the middle of attacking him when they hit. Usually your ult is up by now but if you hit it he will just trigger the phase 2 cutscene wasting it. He goes untargetable immediately after and starts meteoring the ground. I switch again here if I'm nervous because they start tracking you and if you get hit the damage over time might kill you. Then you get some time to beat on him. Eventually he'll go untargetable again and summon ebony maw and black dwarf. They are easier. Initial purple lines to dodge then really fat purple circles followed by a huge red circle and some bowling meteors you can dodge. None of that seems to be as bad as the proxima/corvus round. His next untargetable cheese is he will start doing purple attacks where you can stand near the center between the lines to dodge them, its more annoying than dangerous because of the delay in finishing him off. Finally, and this is what got me most of the time, is if you are taking too long he'll do all kinds of purple line bullshit. I don't even generally notice when he does it, either because I'm not paying attention and Jean or Mr. F just falls over dead, or I beat him too fast for him to trigger it (everyone else). I can usually finish him off with one of my other characters when I screw that up though.

I like it when he's the daily boss because I've got all the above down to easily beat him on level 1 and still get better rewards than beating anyone else on 11 or 21. He's not guaranteed CCF but he seems to give more of it more often. I could probably beat him easier if I update my characters used. Beta Ray Bill for instance is probably currently my best, his 6 will one shot everything at the low difficulties I play on, but I haven't tried him on Thanos yet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, I can beat Thanos but his phases is too much of a pain in the rear end to make it worth it even at Level 1 for me and I can't get past Level 20 with him because I can't beat him fast enough. So awhile back I just got tired of it and started rerolling every time I get him. Even some of the other tough ones i can do the 1 shot thing at Level 1 but I haven't managed that with Thanos even with Beta, Lady Deadpool, or Wanda. I haven't tried with Mystique who seems to now me by #1 hitter ahead of those three. So I guess it will be those 4 and probably Sharon/Luna giving it a go at least once in the next week or so.

I won't waste the crystals on it. He's a pain in the rear end but its just one day's chores. My alliance freaking out about the crystal cost of getting Knull is the weirdest complaint to me. Like... just play the WBR. Its a game. Its a challenge. Its doable. We're mad that the "spend money to skip ahead" option is too expensive? I might be on the game's side on that one. If they're willing to spend instead of play might as well milk it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 28, 2020

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

I just had over 30 Enhance Potentials fail in a row. :psyboom:

What percentage were you trying at? I've lost a ton in the high 60s which used to be my go to, so I've been going to 75-80 lately just to be safe.

And STAC I remembered as I was typing it up that you were one of the ones to help me through Thanos the first time (I think by mentioning the sacrificial goat tactic for his bullshit phases) but I decided to finish typing it out anyway. I gave up on pushing higher since the rewards never seemed worth the effort, and I missed the boat when strikers were briefly OP. Now I just do maw and corvus at 21, proxima and black dwarf at 11, and thanos at 1 and its enough reward for me with very low effort. I might start pushing again soon since I've got a few CTPs, odin's blessings and fancy new characters hanging around collecting dust.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

When they introduced the new system with extra level I basically just went to the top Level of each person I had adequate for both and started working my way up. Since you get unlock prizes every time you clear certain levels it seemed worth it. So I just am back to the old thing of doing as many of the top as I can and then dropping down to Level 1 when I get frustrated. I just don't push it past the red level line so for some of them I'm at my unlocked max and some I'm purposely playing lower than I know I can beat but I'm pacing myself.

Its been fine for the most part and some like Corvus and Ebony I can 5/5 on at the highest level and some like Apocalypse are pains in the rear end I do like 1 or 2 max and the rest at Level 1. But Thanos I banged my head against the 90 second challenge at Level 20 for a few weeks and then just got fed up entirely with him and started skipping him. He just didn't seem worth it if I couldn't progress and I hadn't managed to power past his animations/phases even at Level 1. You saying you can do it might lead me to try again.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 28, 2020

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

bagrada posted:

What percentage were you trying at? I've lost a ton in the high 60s which used to be my go to, so I've been going to 75-80 lately just to be safe.

10%. It’s the statistically optimal option, overall. I just hit a ~1 in 25 streak of bad luck.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
This game has been going for a long time. If targeting whales with certain content ensures it lasts longer, who am I to complain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Going to have to spend some money to get Spider-Woman. I expected Scream to be the sub character, because people just love Symboits.