Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Going to be disassembling the 200 this weekend. Pictures to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, to improve the performance of the MC1 in the Doom Wagon, I'm going to swap out the anemic K26 for a K24 and add a MC2 WUR which references the intake manifold for regulating fuel pressure. Should give it a little more oomph.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Got her cleaned up for C&O car show.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ran into an issue where the engine would stumble at idle on the way home. Got home and thought I had a bad injector, so I disassembled and flow tested all the injectors:

After putting it back together, issue remained...until I unplugged the O2 sensor line and it would smooth out, but would backfire occasionally at partial throttle. Confirmed my other suspicion

Cracked exhaust manifold pulling extra oxygen in causing the O2 sensor to realize there's extra O2 in the exhaust.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

Ran into an issue where the engine would stumble at idle on the way home. Got home and thought I had a bad injector, so I disassembled and flow tested all the injectors:

After putting it back together, issue remained...until I unplugged the O2 sensor line and it would smooth out, but would backfire occasionally at partial throttle. Confirmed my other suspicion

Cracked exhaust manifold pulling extra oxygen in causing the O2 sensor to realize there's extra O2 in the exhaust.

You didn't happen to fill up at the QT on Sugarloaf and 316 just before did you? Both a coworker and myself have experienced killed injectors after getting 93 from there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crunchy Black posted:

You didn't happen to fill up at the QT on Sugarloaf and 316 just before did you? Both a coworker and myself have experienced killed injectors after getting 93 from there.

Nah, the injector was me being misled, CIS injectors are hard to kill too since they are just spring loaded. It was losing cylinder backpressure due to the crack in the exhaust manifold.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 7, 2017

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Saw this parked out behind the place I work and thought you may enjoy it. The owner has a couple Audis so I suspect he has plans to fix this one up when he gets the chance.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
That's a beautiful classic Ur Quattro. Probably very early model based on the Diff Lock display, quad headlamps, and the Euro bumpers.

Wish I could afford a Ur Quattro :smith:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 8, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Anti-Archive bump:

Welp, checked over the engine block for the 200:

Well gently caress. The block will need help, but there's supposedly a 5000 Turbo in a junkyard in South Atlanta that I can salvage the block from and swap the internals with. I may try to braze and weld the block to save it considering how hard its going to be to find this stuff in the near future.

With the 3D modelling skills of my younger brother, I've 3D printed a replacement Shifter Boot bracket:

I've also been 3D printing Shifter bushings, and have them installed on two of my cars with great success so far.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2642240
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2558263

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Enjoy a video of the possibilities that await you in 5 cylinder Valhalla https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouGEIA7ElbY

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Finally got around to welding up the crack in the cast steel manifold. I headed the manifold prior to doing this:

While I was in there, I also replaced the hardware on the wastegate pipe

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
TDI bug has bit me again, working on acquiring the parts to build a 2.5l TDI for the wagon.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

TDI bug has bit me again, working on acquiring the parts to build a 2.5l TDI for the wagon.
Deviant. Is that the V6 2.5, or the inline 5?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Deviant. Is that the V6 2.5, or the inline 5?

Inline 5, basically the same one that came in the VW transporter.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Repaired the MAF wiring and replaced the alternator on the TDI today. Boy, is it way happier with the MAF plugged in.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Do you always leave the timing belt cover off? I'd be way too paranoid something could get in there and break it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

shy boy from chess club posted:

Do you always leave the timing belt cover off? I'd be way too paranoid something could get in there and break it.

It never had one, as this engine was pulled from a front end collision and the timing belt cover and accessory bracket was totally destroyed.

I'd love to put a timing belt cover back on it, but its done 50,000 miles since it was overhauled with no issues.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh right on. Never found one in the junkyard? But yea you would have to have really bad luck for something to get up there and then get directly stuck between the belt and a pulley.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oh right on. Never found one in the junkyard? But yea you would have to have really bad luck for something to get up there and then get directly stuck between the belt and a pulley.

There's one or two engines in the yard right now, good point. Its almost due for an oil change and timing belt/water pump change anyways.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'd be way too paranoid something could get in there and break it.

:same:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, took the 4000q Race Car to a car show today, then to a friend's shop and smoke tested the intake side to hopefully trace a boost leak.

Found a vacuum leak: the wastegate housing has a broken stud and was leaking vacuum and causing the engine to buck under load.

Accelerates much better.

Also: picked up a chipped ECU for the race car, should be up to 285 crank horses

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Picked up an AAN for the 90q

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Here's the AAN! Stripped it down to inspect, its very clean and smooth. Good journals, pistons are gonna be cleaned and reinstalled

So, the problem is the PO didn't return the timing belt tensioner bracket, so I'm going to work around that by using a 3B oil pump housing and water pump instead, as the 3B uses the water pump to set timing belt tension instead.

So it'll have AAN COP, Wiring Harness, and ECU, but 3B timing belt setup.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

CommieGIR posted:

Here's the AAN! Stripped it down to inspect, its very clean and smooth. Good journals, pistons are gonna be cleaned and reinstalled

So, the problem is the PO didn't return the timing belt tensioner bracket, so I'm going to work around that by using a 3B oil pump housing and water pump instead, as the 3B uses the water pump to set timing belt tension instead.

So it'll have AAN COP, Wiring Harness, and ECU, but 3B timing belt setup.

I can't remember if it has something to do with the harmonic balancer or the oil pump, but 3B/7A and AAN/ABY/ADU have different bolt lengths for the main crank bolt. Just FYI.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

afen posted:

I can't remember if it has something to do with the harmonic balancer or the oil pump, but 3B/7A and AAN/ABY/ADU have different bolt lengths for the main crank bolt. Just FYI.

That's fine, I'm reusing the crank bolt, but I'll verify the depth on the balancer before I install it. Thanks for the warning!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Progress on the 3BAAN

Tested the timing belt setup, it all lines up, and testing the V Belt harmonic balancer and it'll fit just fine, just had to remove the washer from the AAN Serpentine belt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
It snowed today in Atlanta:

Good thing I came prepared with the right car

I'm part time employed as an engine builder now!

To be fair, the first engine is mine, but they have a need. Good supplementary income to my day job. And I enjoy it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 9, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Please keep posting. Old Audis are rad.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Wrar posted:

Please keep posting. Old Audis are rad.

:agreed:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Merry Christmas from the VAG Farm:

The 90 is going this week to the shop to start the motor swap.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Stripped some parts off the 3B for the 3BAAN build

Previous owner really did care for the car, tons of aftermarket parts including 034 Coolant Hoses, Intake spacer, and Samco air hoses as well. Unfortunately, the intake spacer is known for leaking, so that won't go on the new car.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 10, 2017

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

Previous owner really did care for the car, tons of aftermarket parts including 034 Coolant Hoses, Intake spacer, and Samco air hoses as well. Unfortunately, the intake spacer is known for leaking, so that won't go on the new car.

I know it's old and all but I didn't know ECU's came in 2RU,

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

I know it's old and all but I didn't know ECU's came in 2RU,

Only makes sense, right? Might as well standardize ECU sizes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, my friend brought in a UrS4 that he had sold to one of his employees, but said employee tried doing burnouts, now compression levels looks like this:

1 - 70 PSI
2 - 120 PSI
3 - 60 PSI
4 - 30 PSI
5 - 0 PSI

Not good. 0 means either hole in piston or valve. Engine still ran, amazingly, but rough.

I'll have more photos tomorrow, but we did pull the head, and sure enough a valve is cracked and its chewed through one corner of the valve seat as well. However, pistons look good and clean, and block looks fine. The head gasket was compromised too, there was burn marks between #4 and #5 which no doubt exasperate the issue. We can save it.

Didn't get photos because it was closing time, and I only get 3 hours or so at the shop a day since I'm exclusively doing engine builds and 5 cylinder stuff, and since I still have my full time Systems/Network Admin job as well.

Lessons from this?
1. Audi 5 cylinders were build and deliver their best power below 5500 RPMs.
2. Running a K24, or in this case an RS2 K24, means you get your best power around 3500-4500 RPMs, after that its just not delivering anymore boost
3. Don't do burn outs with a Quattro. That's stupid. There is a reason most guys burning rubber with a Quattro are doing donuts: Quattro can do donuts all day, burnouts just isn't its thing, its made to deliver the best grip from launch, its not conducive to burnouts.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 13, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Valve failure

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 14, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Good god.

Any chance of saving the head?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Good god.

Any chance of saving the head?

Yes, but not for this build. Machine shop will have to remove valves and valve seats, TIG backfill the hole, then re-cut the valve seat

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

CommieGIR posted:

Stripped some parts off the 3B for the 3BAAN build

... funny question. Is there a different water manifold that can go there, and would it be possible to make like, a no-go box (like, "this is a hard limit don't put manifold here")? I've had the urge for years to do a GTO-style twin plenum manifold for the 20V I5, and I'm kind of looking for things to try casting that would be actual parts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mekilljoydammit posted:

... funny question. Is there a different water manifold that can go there, and would it be possible to make like, a no-go box (like, "this is a hard limit don't put manifold here")? I've had the urge for years to do a GTO-style twin plenum manifold for the 20V I5, and I'm kind of looking for things to try casting that would be actual parts.

There are two distinct OEM water manifolds: The 3B and AAN styles:

AAN:

3B:

Frankly, you are fine as long as you are not routing the manifolds near the exhaust side.

Recognize as well: The 7A head basically has the same setup, but no water manifold, just a single flange that goes to the center of the head. You can machine and open up the head to use a 3B or AAN manifold, and some people are even more nuts and have machined flanges for their 10vTs:

Now, by No-Go box, you mean an area to avoid putting the coolant flange?

In other news: I've discovered the parts 200 was heavily modded:
RS2 Turbo
Chipped ECU (2 Bar, RS2 timing table)
034/Samco Hoses

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

CommieGIR posted:

Now, by No-Go box, you mean an area to avoid putting the coolant flange?

Ah, the AAN manifold looks more suited in some ways.

What I mean is... like, a hypothetical box that could contain an intake manifold without hitting anything important - hood, radiator, brake booster, stuff like that. Someone on grabcad actually did a model of the flange side, but it's not too useful to make a manifold that doesn't fit in the car, you know?

This is at least partially a... stretching my reach to improve my ability to design and make stuff, if you get what I mean, I appreciate your indulgence.