Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mekilljoydammit posted:

Ah, the AAN manifold looks more suited in some ways.

What I mean is... like, a hypothetical box that could contain an intake manifold without hitting anything important - hood, radiator, brake booster, stuff like that. Someone on grabcad actually did a model of the flange side, but it's not too useful to make a manifold that doesn't fit in the car, you know?

This is at least partially a... stretching my reach to improve my ability to design and make stuff, if you get what I mean, I appreciate your indulgence.

So, what I know has been done on some cars is rotating the Radiator to provide more clearance for the Intake Manifold:

This will let you clear a AAN intake manifold, of course you have other manifolds that are more forgiving of space:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Hmmm. Well, I'll try something, if it doesn't fit it'll at least look cool.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

In other news: I've discovered the parts 200 was heavily modded:
RS2 Turbo
Chipped ECU (2 Bar, RS2 timing table)
034/Samco Hoses

Gotta love surprises like those!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
In other news, I put a chipped ECU in the 4kq 20vT, its running awesome but I've maxxed out the stock K24, so I'll put the RS2 turbo on it, but I'm getting binding in either the rear or center diff, likes its locked but the lockers are disengaged.

One of them may be damaged, and I suspect it might be the rear.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
3BAAN current status:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Ratty as gently caress, I love it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'd drive this every day.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So what sort of power output are we talking about with the RS2 turbo + 2bar map?

I assume the drive line is sufficiently over-engineered to handle that?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

So what sort of power output are we talking about with the RS2 turbo + 2bar map?

I assume the drive line is sufficiently over-engineered to handle that?

Yes, Audi 016s and the rear diff/driveshaft will handle well over stock power.

With the RS2 components we can easily do ~300 HP

Peak HP for the RS2 setup is roughly 380.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Have a very Quattro Christmas, AI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42vPdIxwfys

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
That was badass.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
https://www.facebook.com/STAVTECH/photos/a.634275246749001.1073741828.630429603800232/893511780825345/?type=3&theater Saw this and thought of you. Er, I think that link works...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That is a really neat setup. Looks like they moved the radiator to the trunk for that intercooler

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Prepped the 90q for engine removal today

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We hardly knew ye, 7A

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Took the Audi to the shop to check suspension, need to do the strut mounts on the front, smoked the car and found my boost leak source: a 1 inch tear in the boot from the intercooler piping to the intake. Now it boosts like a demon again, spiking on the crappy Bosch boost/vacuum gauge all the way to 25 PSI.

Its good to be back.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Battery tray welded in, now just need to pull the differential and tranmission.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
First Caffeine and Octane of the year: 22 degrees Fahrenheit at 5:30 in the AM.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
It was 2 here.

Theoretical Cat
Jan 8, 2016
Anyone else having issues with their late model Audi's Haldex system?

2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI Quattro (Haldex)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reIzxQv2wTU

The Haldex system has been used on the A3, S3, RS3 and the TT models.

I'm thinking mine isn't working.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Theoretical Cat posted:

Anyone else having issues with their late model Audi's Haldex system?

2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI Quattro (Haldex)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reIzxQv2wTU

The Haldex system has been used on the A3, S3, RS3 and the TT models.

I'm thinking mine isn't working.

Not that I know: Haldex is way past my prime, the furthest I go is Torsen or Locking Center Diff. I know the Haldex limits total power transfer to 50% to the rear and no more.

What sort of issues are you having? The shop I work at would be able to answer your question, they service Haldex regularly.

I swapped a V8 200 Hood onto my Wagon. I like it better, I need the matching lights for it, but it looks fine for now:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Looks good!

If anyone else is SE local, or even if you're not, Commie and I are planning on leaving ATL for SoWo in May.

http://www.sowoeuropeanexperience.com/

We haven't been since it was in Helen in the early years, so this will be quite a difference.

It'd be nice to get more VAG goons together for a meet. :gooncamp:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crunchy Black posted:

Looks good!

If anyone else is SE local, or even if you're not, Commie and I are planning on leaving ATL for SoWo in May.

http://www.sowoeuropeanexperience.com/

We haven't been since it was in Helen in the early years, so this will be quite a difference.

It'd be nice to get more VAG goons together for a meet. :gooncamp:

We'll see if it'll be any better than last time. That was a bit of a train wreck, but I had fun with the Goons I met.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CommieGIR posted:

What sort of issues are you having? The shop I work at would be able to answer your question, they service Haldex regularly.

I think his video describes it. Front wheels spinning and rears not doing poo poo.

I have always heard that Haldex systems are garbage, but that's just like my opinion, man.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

I think his video describes it. Front wheels spinning and rears not doing poo poo.

I have always heard that Haldex systems are garbage, but that's just like my opinion, man.

Are you doing this on jack stands? Because I don't think it'll lock up the controller on the rear diff if its setup like that.

Nevermind, they should spin. Find someone who has VAGCOM and see if you can check the Haldex controller's status.

quote:

How to Check if your 4Motion/Quattro is working:

This applies to the following cars: VW MKIV Golf R32, VW MKIV Golf V6 4Motion, Audi TT 225 Quattro, Audi A3 1.8t Quattro, Audi S3 1.8t Quattro, Skoda Octavia 4wd. This will also apply to other cars that use the Haldex 4 Wheel Drive system.

The following items can cause your Haldex All Wheel Drive to be not working. Double check all these. Some require the car to be lifted off the ground.

1: Fuse 31, 5amp
2: Earth on Differential
3: 0.7 amps of Power to the Controller
4: Brake Light Switch
5: Handbrake Switch
6: Haldex Oil and Filter
7: Differential Oil
8: ABS Sensors
9: ABS Master Control
10: Haldex Controller
11: Haldex PreCharge Pump
12: Differential

As you can see, theres a lot of factors involved with the 4motion working or not.

With Car on Ground:

Check the fuse first its the top middle fuse (large blade fuses) should be 5amps, if its higher then replace with 5amp blade fuse.

Connect up VAG-COM and using the measuring blocks you can see if certain things are working for the controller. Temps should be room temperature to start off with. The Power should be 0.7 watts or apps or volts, not sure but that figure which ever it is. Its been a while

Also, with vag-com, you can check the pump with output tests. This is better doing with the car off the ground.

Do a hard launch, if you get front wheel spin, then no power is being delivered to the rear

If you get a grinding noise, then the differential is at fault, where the pinion has moved and locked both the rear wheels.

With Car off Ground (All 4 wheels):

With vag-com, you can check the pump with output tests. This is better doing with the car off the ground.

Can you hear the pump/controller activate once you start the car? if not, then its the controller/precharge pump.

Check that the propellor shaft is moving. This way you can eliminate the front differential.

Start car, put it in 1st, then second like you normally do while driving and let the wheels spin, If all 4 wheels spin, then something is wrong with the differential/precharge pump. Not enough pressure/lock is being applied. This can also be the controller. With this, change the filter/oil for the haldex and the differential. This may solve the problem.

If just the fronts spin or 3 wheels spin, double check that the drive shafts are moving or not. If the prop shaft is moving and the driveshafts are moving but not the wheels, then your drive shaft is buggered.
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/4wd-system-not-working.86401/

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 12, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Based on the video in the snow, Haldex shouldn't be doing that. I don't know how much slip they have in the system at whatever the nominally full lockup front to rear is, but I'm going to say "not that much".

I agree it probably won't do anything if you have all four wheels in the air (so no speed/torque discrepancy), but lighting up the fronts like that should almost certainly make it engage the drive to the rear.

Edit: Just seen your post, CommieGIR - careful, that looks like genIV info, and his car will be genV without the precharging, unless I'm mistaken. I don't know if that affects how you can diagnose it jacked up.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 12, 2018

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Does it not hurt Quattros to spin everything up with no load on them?

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

CommieGIR posted:

We hardly knew ye, 7A

What are you doing with this engine? If you're junking it you can make a pretty penny of the cams, the head and the valve cover. Some people also like the 7A fuel pressure regulator.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

afen posted:

What are you doing with this engine? If you're junking it you can make a pretty penny of the cams, the head and the valve cover. Some people also like the 7A fuel pressure regulator.

I will be using the 7A regulator on the 3BAAN, as well as the valve cover. The Exhaust cam is promised, and the head I will keep as a spare should any of my 20vs ever fail.

Crunchy Black posted:

Does it not hurt Quattros to spin everything up with no load on them?

It won't on old Quattros like the Gen 1 or Gen 2 (Torsen), Haldex I'm not so sure about.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 14, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Snowy Day:

Not my car:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Quattro in the snow is fuuuuun. Only good thing about my giant shitter of a B5 which I still hate to this day.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So I'm getting pretty adventurous and started doing ROM dumps on some 3B Motronics I had hanging around.

I've successfully dumped both the Stock and Modified LDR and MOT roms from them, now I just need to find a program that reads the maps from them.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 21, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

One of these turbos is less Alt-Right than the others.

Working on a possible turbo upgrade for the 3B 4kq, want to possibly go with a Volvo K24-7400, which will let me keep my precious low end boost.

Replaced a brake light lens on the TDI that had a hole in it, and hauled the engine hoist over to the 200 parts car to prepare to remove the transmission.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 21, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Made another thing:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2776068

Its a simple block off plate for people converting to Coil on Plug/VEMs

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

CommieGIR posted:

So I'm getting pretty adventurous and started doing ROM dumps on some 3B Motronics I had hanging around.

I've successfully dumped both the Stock and Modified LDR and MOT roms from them, now I just need to find a program that reads the maps from them.

This is awesome, definitely interested in where you would find a program for that. I wish I could find something like ecuflash and romraider that I have for Subarus for VAG stuff.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You could probably look through it in a hex editor and figure out at least where some of the tables would be. I assume they'd be contiguous in ROM and look like your average load/rpm 3D table.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You could probably look through it in a hex editor and figure out at least where some of the tables would be. I assume they'd be contiguous in ROM and look like your average load/rpm 3D table.

Very much so. Most of the tables are fairly obvious even in hex.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Very much so. Most of the tables are fairly obvious even in hex.

How many tables are there? I assume it's a Z80 or something because Germans love those, so you should be able to also chuck it through a disassembler and see what parts of it seem like an actual program and not line noise. Unfortunately a Z80 is not a fixed-length instruction set :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

The program you want is TunerPro http://tunerpro.net/

Doesn't look like they have any bin files for it, though, but you may be able to find some on the gargler. I used this the other day to get the stock ignition advance tables for an m20 to plug into my megasquirt as a baseline.