Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Welp. I never really loved the show itself, but flaws aside, I am definitely going to miss seeing some of the actors. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh don't worry they'll show up in the next sci-fi show. It's Canada's greatest export.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

This is some bullshit. Dark Matter is like my favourite show. (Other than got or the expanse.)

I'm proper unhappy.

Also killjoys is dumb and stupid because every loving character is trying to say some stupid loving quip every god drat line.

gently caress killjoys.

BoneMonkey fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 2, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe netflix will pick it up for one last season.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Dark Matters was a good show.

Never watched Killjoys.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm actually not that surprised to see Dark Matter go. After the first season it never found a proper flow that the first one had (Can I trust these five other people beyond the next crisis? Who are we? Slowly having all that peeled back), and it just turned into a stuttering mess in the third season. There are good episodes, but a coherent arc they did not make.

Boy, that Corporate War actually turned things right on their head for everyone this season, didn't it? Whole lot of things changed, like several worlds trying to join the League of Non-Aligned Planets (dropped storyline), getting two new crewmembers trying to find Tabor (they left mid-way, unresolved), and the only resolved storyline was back-ended into the season (the alien invasion). Nevermind the show's borderline-sexual obsession with backstabbing among the crew and any visitor who steps foot on the Raza.

Accretionist posted:

Dark Matters was a good show.

Never watched Killjoys.

Killjoys is a great show. The first season is pretty hit-or-miss, but come the second it's obvious the writers sat down and worked out what they want the show to be; fun.

And in comparison, Killjoys post-season 1 has had excellent arcs flowing towards their finale. Season 2 is mostly standalone jobs, but they each nicely drop a piece of a larger puzzle that you can work out before the other shoe drops at the end (not in a clumsily obvious way, just enough for you to guess close enough). Season 3 builds on that arc and properly escalates the stakes too, with Season 4 obviously going to rise even higher.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 2, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Syfy probably saw the Killjoys people had their poo poo figured out, and Dark Matter had their thumbs up their asses. That's what I worry about for shows like Better Call Saul. Sure, it's AMC's best drama, but it's losing viewers because it is so slow burning. They need to poo poo or get off the pot before the show is canceled and the people still watching get nothing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Killjoys is literally one of the worst series I've ever seen. It's mind numbingly boring. Every scene and every sentence of dialog feels like I've seen and heard it a thousand times already, and the acting was like people reading from cue cards. Well at least the first season, never watched after that. I really did hate it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wormil posted:

Killjoys is literally one of the worst series I've ever seen. It's mind numbingly boring. Every scene and every sentence of dialog feels like I've seen and heard it a thousand times already, and the acting was like people reading from cue cards. Well at least the first season, never watched after that. I really did hate it.

Seriously watch season 2. It's a massive improvement across the board.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'll try, maybe.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just started watching Killjoys starting at whatever season is airing now. I can understand why Dark Matter was cancelled instead. Killjoy's characters are characters. I don't really know where KJ's plot is going but Dark Matter has been spinning it's wheels since season 2.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Invalid Validation posted:

Oh don't worry they'll show up in the next sci-fi show. It's Canada's greatest export.

I need my Roger Cross fix.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bring back old gbs posted:

I just started watching Killjoys starting at whatever season is airing now. I can understand why Dark Matter was cancelled instead. Killjoy's characters are characters. I don't really know where KJ's plot is going but Dark Matter has been spinning it's wheels since season 2.

I think the fundamental reason why Dark Matter died and Killjoys got locked in for a free ride to its finale is a simple one;

You have two shows where the current plot is about parasitic aliens with human hosts and an oncoming armada: One is well-written, has great main and recurring characters, with a focused setting the audience can understand through recurring locations (Here is Westerly, it is a shithole mining moon. Here is Leith, it's the nice moon with forests and farmland for the common folk. Qreche? You aren't rich or notable enough to even visit Qreche, commoner scum :wotwot:) , and has gotten to where it is with consistent plot threads that grounded what was going on into a decent ongoing narrative.

The other has characters with minimal personality, poo poo the bed on multiple plotlines to no conclusion, and has no real grounding in its setting outside of the Raza (Anyone they meet is either "oh, hey, we knew you before ~THE MEMORY WIPE~" or just plain someone they won't ever meet again. Or trying to backstab them, because the show can't let go of doing that every two/three episodes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

spookygonk posted:

I need my Roger Cross fix.

Roger Cross needs an Expanse gig.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
The bad news is this is cancelled but the good news is I already forgot it existed between episodes while it was airing so the pain will be brief.

Farewell loose plot threads.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

I figure he's more likely to turn up on Van Helsing. Lots of Continuum cast members pop up on that show.

Plus it goes through its cast like they're chicken nuggets, so it won't be a long-term commitment.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

It's also fun while Dark Matter got obsessed with boring plots like corporate space war we are showing offscreen and noble space japan.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Killjoys is a better show, but the acting and dialog is just so loving bad. If they just stopped trying to make every character witty, (and killed the main lady off she is a terrible actor in both her roles.) Then I would totally love that show.

As people have said, The plot and pacing is great, the setting is great, even the characters and their arcs are great. Its just the dialog is so goddamn bad.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tough crowd... you guys forget how bad scifi usually is.

Got a taste of that premium cable crack.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

How old is Three's actor? I feel like he's 40ish but Google is failing me.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Rocksicles posted:

Tough crowd... you guys forget how bad scifi usually is.
Didn't they rebrand and dump all science fiction shows for wrestling?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chinook posted:

How old is Three's actor? I feel like he's 40ish but Google is failing me.

Started the biz in 97, probably in his 20's, safe bet. I fold.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

A confused Roger Cross wanders onto the Expanse set.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

etalian posted:

A confused Roger Cross wanders onto the Expanse set.

That blink drive gotta take him somewhere.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

spookygonk posted:

Didn't they rebrand and dump all science fiction shows for wrestling?

For awhile they kinda became this weird alternate reality tv show network that would play trashy sci-fi and horror movies in between loads of bullshit like wrestling and fear factor.

They reshifted hard back into scifi and original content 2 or 3 years ago.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BoneMonkey posted:

Killjoys is a better show, but the acting and dialog is just so loving bad. If they just stopped trying to make every character witty, (and killed the main lady off she is a terrible actor in both her roles.) Then I would totally love that show.

As people have said, The plot and pacing is great, the setting is great, even the characters and their arcs are great. Its just the dialog is so goddamn bad.

holy poo poo 100% this

There are some good lines once in a while, but you don't need every single loving character spouting quips all the goddamn time. It definitely wasn't this bad in s1.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

holy poo poo 100% this

There are some good lines once in a while, but you don't need every single loving character spouting quips all the goddamn time. It definitely wasn't this bad in s1.

maybe each episode should have trigger warning for you?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
drat, that sucks. I really enjoyed this show: it felt like if Firefly never got cancelled but did get a little silly.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
When Robert Cross's character got wiped out, the matter was closed. The End.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

R-Type posted:

But did he? Just where did he end up? :iiam:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

R-Type posted:

Roger, fucko.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Joseph Mallozi is trying to save the show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What he has going for him is that Syfy, MGM, etc don't own the show. He can bring it to any network that is willing to pick it up.

He asked Syfy if he could do a 6 episode mini series to close out the show, and they told him to get lost.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GreenNight posted:

What he has going for him is that Syfy, MGM, etc don't own the show. He can bring it to any network that is willing to pick it up.

He asked Syfy if he could do a 6 episode mini series to close out the show, and they told him to get lost.

Maybe he should show them his napkin where he planned out the 5 season storyline :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Hahaha, ouch. That's definitely the actions of a network that are no longer interested in being the in Dark Matter business.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

That's probably the most solid direction the show has been in since its inception.

Edit: Ok that was a bit harsh. I still think the followers of the show deserve a proper mini-series of six-eight episodes to wrap it up.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 6, 2017

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think they should since the show probably doesn't cost them much to make.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muscles like this! posted:

Hahaha, ouch. That's definitely the actions of a network that are no longer interested in being the in Dark Matter business.

Given that response, I can't help but wonder if the reason Killjoys got locked in for its final two seasons is because Dark Matter hosed up badly enough that SyFy took away their already-allotted season 4 budget and spent it on Killjoys instead.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can't see how. The ratings didn't going into the toilet big time or anything. Syfy does own Killjoys outright though so they'd get any profit from streaming, dvds, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given that response, I can't help but wonder if the reason Killjoys got locked in for its final two seasons is because Dark Matter hosed up badly enough that SyFy took away their already-allotted season 4 budget and spent it on Killjoys instead.

There was no budget to take away, SyFy doesn't produce Dark Matter. Mallozi owns it and if he can find another network before the rent comes due on the sets, it could continue, but honestly I think it's a long shot. I enjoyed the show but a year from now I'm not going to miss it. What they should do is kill off the characters in Killjoys and hire the cast from Dark Matter, then at least that show would have one good thing going for it.

• Locked thread