Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wormil posted:

There was no budget to take away, SyFy doesn't produce Dark Matter. Mallozi owns it and if he can find another network before the rent comes due on the sets, it could continue, but honestly I think it's a long shot. I enjoyed the show but a year from now I'm not going to miss it. What they should do is kill off the characters in Killjoys and hire the cast from Dark Matter, then at least that show would have one good thing going for it.

Huh, I thought SyFy was paying for it in some respect. It is very curious they'd drop it then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Roger Cross just bought a new gaff with a Infinity pool. He needs some stable work.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Huh, I thought SyFy was paying for it in some respect. It is very curious they'd drop it then.

Only licensing fees. I thought so too until reading up on it after cancellation.

Apparently they did some Twitter thing that was successful. At this point I would be surprised if they didn't finish it somehow, with a comic or in animation, if they don't find a network. You gotta give Mallozi credit for being able to mobilize fans, but he should have started sooner.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Given it's in its third season, plus the general dearth of sci-fi shows set in space, he probably thought it was bulletproof.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hell I thought it was bulletproof. Syfy doesn't really have that much going on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I will never underestimate the stupidity of people running networks. "Yes, this might be the most popular cable drama on television, but it's not pulling in CSI numbers, so we're cancelling it."

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So this is cancelled? that blows, I really enjoyed this show and it's music.

iirc lemme do a round up of threads with no ends

Will 5 ever find her sister?
whats up with Sara, did she get her body? does she know what 3 did, etc?
will 3 remember what 4 said?
is Roger Cross dead, and if not where did he go?
whats up with the black ships?
something about Zairon
what will happen with the Android?

I'm sure there are plenty more but these are the ones I remember at the moment. drat shame.

For the record Killjoys is awesome and all the interactions between the Jacoby bros and anyone with Pree are gold.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I forgot this show existed again until just now.

I hope they get picked up by another network or whatever so I can be proven right about Zairon.

Misaki was going to be the new ruler that would show up at some point in Season 4 dramatically. A single line would explain away the poison dagger wound since by TV rules we never saw a corpse and they left her for dead so she was obviously going to survive.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So this is cancelled? that blows, I really enjoyed this show and it's music.

iirc lemme do a round up of threads with no ends

Will 5 ever find her sister?
whats up with Sara, did she get her body? does she know what 3 did, etc?
will 3 remember what 4 said?
is Roger Cross dead, and if not where did he go?
whats up with the black ships?
something about Zairon
what will happen with the Android?

I'm sure there are plenty more but these are the ones I remember at the moment. drat shame.

For the record Killjoys is awesome and all the interactions between the Jacoby bros and anyone with Pree are gold.

It sucks because they had a 5 year arc planned that would answer all of those questions. Mallozi has been blowing up twitter trying to get it picked up and the cast seems pretty game for more, it's just a question of is it worth the subscribers to some network? I think netflix/hulu are a long shot, but maybe a smaller network who needs more :airquote: original :airquote: content may pick it up for 26 more episodes. Then again, netflix has a $7B production budget next year, so WHO KNOWS???

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
According to Reddit they started tearing down sets today, the lease ran out. Apparently he still has one set left and they are trying to save as much as possible but I think it's dead. I give him credit for going down fighting.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

This is the most :smith: thing. This show was so fun, it's a shame to see it go. Why do all the fun band of space pirate shows die this way.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
There was a couple of weeks of Mallozi talking to interested parties that slowly, one by one, said no.

...then Netflix announced they're dropping $500 million on Canadian shows or something. He quoted it on twitter with nothing but :thunk:

He tried a whole lot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

After Atlantis, Universe and now DM, it'll be a wonder if he ever wants to work with Syfy again.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I would generally side with the creators but this show took 3 seasons to get its feet. That's a little much to ask.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When you have a history of your niche shows getting canceled, you should get the hint and realize you have limited time and get your rear end in gear.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
As soon as he started posting on his blog about his grand plans poo poo was doomed.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I get a little tinge of regret/sad when I remember The Android was a part of this show, and that means no more Android. She was a really great character in a show of not very good characters.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

From Joe's blog:

quote:

So often, you’ll hear stories long after the fact. Like how Apple almost brought Stargate: SG-1 back for an iTunes exclusive 11th and final season. Or how Canada’s Space Channel attempted to save Stargate: Universe. But in this case, the events are fairly recent – a last ditch effort to save Dark Matter spearheaded by some old friends. An effort that, had it been successful, would have seen characters from the world of Stargate crossover into the Dark Matter universe. Or, technically and creatively, vice-versa. I kid you not.

Not long after word broke of the syfy cancellation, we had several interested parties reach out to us. One of the most intriguing of them was was MGM, my former home for 12 glorious years while I was working on the Stargate franchise. They loved the show. They were aware of the fanbase. And they recognized a great opportunity.

Over the course of a week, with the window of opportunity to save the show growing narrower, I had several long and involved conversations with Simon Graty (EVP & GM Domestic Networks at MGM Studios), Kieran Dickson (Editorial Director at MGM), and Jenny Stiven (Consultant, Digital/Social Strategy & Content, Influencer Marketing). The plan, if successful, would have seen Dark Matter’s fourth season premiere on MGM’s streaming platform, Stargate Command, alongside the upcoming Stargate: Origins series. Perhaps equally intriguing was the prospect of doing some sort of Dark Matter/Stargate crossover that would rev up the fanbase in advance of further original Stargate programming down the road.

The two things working against us were time and existing contracts, the latter which proved our undoing. BUT we came so close –

To a fourth season of Dark Matter.

To a sci-fi crossover for the ages.

Ultimately, we weren’t successful, but I want to thank MGM, and especially Simon, Jenny, and Kieran, for reaching out and trying to make it happen.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
There is no way that would have gone well.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Let thing die, it sucked because the producer had no balls.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A Stargate crossover? I guess it's good it was canceled then.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bring back old gbs posted:

I get a little tinge of regret/sad when I remember The Android was a part of this show, and that means no more Android. She was a really great character in a show of not very good characters.
I was mostly just watching for the Android, because the rest of it was pretty generic and Space Japan was the worst. Still, it was better than Killjoys.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm sure fat Macgyver would have saved Dark Matter.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Man, screw you bittervet tv junkies, I totally would've bought their dumb stargate streaming service for some more :sicknasty: android action. :colbert:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Tons of future stuff if the show wasnt canceled and SG1.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2017/12/07/december-7-2017-last-nights-darkgate-highlights/

Would have been amazing.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 7, 2017

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

That sounds like it would have been terrible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Dream wrecker :(

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

*every character from every canceled syfy show comes onto the Raza with everything for a HUGE party*

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I mean it's a Canadian sci-fi show so they already had most of the actors from the other dead shows already.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

As someone who didn't watch those other Stargate shows I probably would have just been annoyed by all these new characters that they're treating like they're important.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

qirex posted:

*every character from every canceled syfy show comes onto the Raza with everything for a HUGE party*

This would have been a very serious problem for Roger Cross

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

This would have been a very serious problem for Roger Cross

He could pull an Orphan Black.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

muscles like this! posted:

As someone who didn't watch those other Stargate shows I probably would have just been annoyed by all these new characters that they're treating like they're important.

As someone who has seen most of those, I would also have been annoyed by them.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I agree with the green night it would've been great. Dark Matter felt like classic TV scifi all the way, and while surely neither the alien attack nor the android rebellion would've been executed as well as something like Babylon 5's war, as Mallozzi ain't as clever as he believes himself to be, the man does know how to make a fun show.

At least I still have Travelers. Are there any other good Canadian scifi shows at the moment that haven't gotten axed?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Killjoys.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
But I asked for good Canadian scifi... :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Oh you mean like Lost Girl? Be serious.

12 Monkey's is great if you haven't seen that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Go home Mallozi you're drunk.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
we just need (a) Reboot. :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
When all those ideas are laid out like that, you have to wonder why they didn't start any of that, ooooooh 2 seasons ago maybe.

• Locked thread