Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I find it offensive that you would even put Stargate and Falling Skies in the same post. Shame on you sir. Shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Stargate was the bees knees (and/or also the cat's pajamas) and Falling Skies was a crusty dog turd cooking on a slab of concrete.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sammus posted:

This show is pretty plot-less, but as long as the android is around I'll keep watching.

If that's your bar I suggest Lost Girl, see a lot more Android there

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Azhais posted:

If that's your bar I suggest Lost Girl, see a lot more Android there

Do not watch Lost Girl.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
star gate>farescape> kill joys> Dark Matter> Lexx>Colony>Falling skys

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ups_rail posted:

star gate>farescape> kill joys> Dark Matter> Lexx>Colony>Falling skys

Lexx > Farscape > Dark Matter > Stargate > Killjoys > I don't know what those other two are.

Lexx is the best because it's what Farscape would be with absolutely no filter. Dark Matter is a much weaker version of Farscape. Killjoys and Stargate are more sort of adventure stories with good guys and bad guys and less fun characters, but Stargate has more good stuff just because it ran for so much longer and its major stories were more coherent and focused (even if individual episodes were often pure monster-of-the-week stuff).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Do not watch Lost Girl.

Yeah? I was thinking of checking it out, because I heard it shared behind the scenes people with Wynonna Earp and Killjoys. How bad is it, and how's it bad?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Lexx > Farscape > Dark Matter > Stargate > Killjoys > I don't know what those other two are.

Lexx is the best because it's what Farscape would be with absolutely no filter. Dark Matter is a much weaker version of Farscape. Killjoys and Stargate are more sort of adventure stories with good guys and bad guys and less fun characters, but Stargate has more good stuff just because it ran for so much longer and its major stories were more coherent and focused (even if individual episodes were often pure monster-of-the-week stuff).

with stargate cast had real chemistry with eachother and it showed.

Dark Matter tries to have a over arching plot...but they keep introducing threads and droping them like the will wheaton evil guy, who built android, alternative universe copies, war etc.

They need to have an introduction and a loving pay off.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I find it offensive that you would even put Stargate and Falling Skies in the same post. Shame on you sir. Shame.

One of the actors who was in both of those shows is currently chewing ALL the scenery in Blood Drive.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah? I was thinking of checking it out, because I heard it shared behind the scenes people with Wynonna Earp and Killjoys. How bad is it, and how's it bad?
The first season is sort of on the same level as Dark Matter or Stargate, but with gratuitous PG rated sex scenes (the protagonist is a succubus :rolleyes:) and way more relationship melodrama - but that is the show at its absolute peak. So best case scenario, you start watching it and think "OK, this is trashy but fun." and then you get into the later seasons where absolutely nothing makes sense, characters change personality or just disappear from the plot for no reason and major plot threads just get dropped out of nowhere or resolve in such incredible anticlimax that you'll have watched three more episodes before you realise that that actually was the real end of that story and not a weird fake-out.

It's a badly written YA paranormal romance. The protagonist just keeps getting more and more powers and her backstory gets more and more complicated and the stakes keep getting higher and higher - but only in that way where they tell you the new bad guy is more dangerous and you never actually see it. And the plot seems to be written on the fly, with no plan for even the next episode let alone the rest of the season.

The only reason to watch it is to see Zoie Palmer trying to act human and failing. If you saw her in Dark Matter and thought "she's really good at playing an android" - that's not acting, she's just like that, apparently.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tiggum posted:

The only reason to watch it is to see Zoie Palmer trying to act human and failing*.

*failing while having lots of pg lesbian sex, if that's your thing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think Dark Matter's saving grace [as far as it getting canceled or not] is that it is probably the absolute cheapest sci fi show on tv, they use like 3 sets for everything and all their outdoor shoots are in generic woods. The thing that surprises me is I don't mind that terribly. It's not like if you were actually in space you'd be able to see much outside anyway...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I think their set designs are smart. Sci-fi tv is risky, keeping costs down no doubt goes a long way with networks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah Joe has mentioned that his budget is a fraction of what SG1 had and SG1 was quite a few years ago.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I wish the guy who plays Ryo wouldn't speak. The girl samurai has a more threatening presence than he does.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Invalid Validation posted:

I wish the guy who plays Ryo wouldn't speak. The girl samurai has a more threatening presence than he does.

Yeah, she's good in Netflix's GLOW series too

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Knives just misses Scott Pilgrim.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Invalid Validation posted:

The guy who plays Ryo is fine. The character Ryo was tougher in previous seasons, but the writers are setting him up to fall with hints his old girlfriend is the traitor. The girl is okay, I barely notice her. I'm just sick of 90lb action girls. I get they want strong female characters but cast women who look the role.

Edit: I don't know what all these numbers mean but it looks like Dark Matter is mid to mid-upper depending on how it sorted. So probably safe.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/syfy-tv-show-ratings-updated-33879/

wormil fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 10, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Lexx is the best because it has amazing penis showers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wormil posted:

Edit: I don't know what all these numbers mean but it looks like Dark Matter is mid to mid-upper depending on how it sorted. So probably safe.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/syfy-tv-show-ratings-updated-33879/

I'm a bit of a numbers geek -- Dark Matter's are good. Things there look worse for Killjoys and Wynonna Earp, but they're both co-productions with with Canada's Space channel. Killjoys is the channel's highest rated original content, so it'll probably be back for a fourth season. Earp's more of a tossup, but it's apparently bringing in a significant female audience share to Syfy, which only The Magicians matches, so it could be back.

Syfy's brand building these days, so it's unlikely to cancel long running shows without some sort of a conclusion.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

12 Monkeys and The Expanse are the best two Syfy shows right now.

I will dropkick the solarplexus of anyone who says otherwise.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I don't disagree and I'm psyched that 12 Monkeys will get a proper sendoff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gonz posted:

12 Monkeys and The Expanse are the best two Syfy shows right now.

I will dropkick the solarplexus of anyone who says otherwise.

Come at me brah.

The Magicians and Channel Zero. Wappow. Shazam. I win.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Lexx really needs to be divided into S1 Lexx and S2+ Lexx and nothing will ever top S1 Lexx. I used Lexx alot of times just now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Come at me brah.

The Magicians and Channel Zero. Wappow. Shazam. I win.

The Magicians is also very, very good. I'd say that's easily Top 3. I'd put Killjoys at 4 and Dark Matter at 5.

Channel Zero was spooky, but it was only, what, 6 episodes? And it's a yearly miniseries, not really a seasonal show.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm a bit of a numbers geek -- Dark Matter's are good. Things there look worse for Killjoys and Wynonna Earp, but they're both co-productions with with Canada's Space channel. Killjoys is the channel's highest rated original content, so it'll probably be back for a fourth season. Earp's more of a tossup, but it's apparently bringing in a significant female audience share to Syfy, which only The Magicians matches, so it could be back.

Syfy's brand building these days, so it's unlikely to cancel long running shows without some sort of a conclusion.

Hell I had assumed after watching the first season that Earp was canceled, and only heard about the second season about a month before it premiered, so at this point any more of it is just gravy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ryo is really annoying. He's a total idiot. He has no idea what he's doing and he's just lashing out thinking it makes him look tough. I really wish he would lose his memories again and go back to how he was earlier in the show. Despite how predictable this doubles episode was, I still kind of liked it. They did some obvious fakeouts and then some decent ones as well. The dumb corporate war took a backseat to them finding out their doubles are there, and it worked out better.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

wormil posted:

Lexx really needs to be divided into S1 Lexx and S2+ Lexx and nothing will ever top S1 Lexx. I used Lexx alot of times just now.

Each season of Lexx is quite different to the others. The first two are much more hard sci-fi, but the first season is basically four movies and the second is more of a normal TV show. The third adds in a lot of mystical stuff but is still relatively serious, and the fourth just goes completely off the rails. The fourth is my favourite overall, but I like all of them, and Eating Pattern is probably my favourite single episode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tiggum posted:

Eating Pattern is probably my favourite single episode.

You misspelled Brigadoom.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Tiggum posted:

Each season of Lexx is quite different to the others. The first two are much more hard sci-fi, but the first season is basically four movies and the second is more of a normal TV show. The third adds in a lot of mystical stuff but is still relatively serious, and the fourth just goes completely off the rails. The fourth is my favourite overall, but I like all of them, and Eating Pattern is probably my favourite single episode.

Yeah, there are few shows as all over the place as Lexx, and it goes from really bottom tier schlock to surprisingly decent Scifi depending on wherever random episode you watch. If I had to choose, I would say Season 3 for being the most consistent in its themes (Dante in space) and general quality.

The world building of the first Season also works, there are few empires as simultaneously creepy and careless as the League of 20,000 Planets.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

New Episode

Wish I Could Believe You

A familiar face returns as one of the Raza crew learns a game changing bombshell about their past.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This seems like a total set up, where none of this is real and its a trick to try and get the info they want.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Was that person really just wearing a PSVR? Really?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

muscles like this! posted:

Was that person really just wearing a PSVR? Really?

As someone who did a double take at the PSVR sitting under the TV I watched this episode on I can confirm this

$400 probably doubled this episode's budget though :v:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That PSVR will be in a dozen episodes with different tape and coloring.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Silly corporation, Roger Cross has done enough sci-fi shows to know about your VR tricks. FTL into a celestial object was pretty :black101:

Jeez I wonder what Three did that makes his avatar girlfriend(and the android?) hate him.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Guessing Three killed his girlfriend and the android has some rogue AI or virus or something controlling her when she is recharging.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

GreenNight posted:

Guessing Three killed his girlfriend and the android has some rogue AI or virus or something controlling her when she is recharging.

I got the impression it was Sarah in control of the android, and she was considering killing Three so that he would only exist in her digital world with her.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cmon Six, give David Cross the recipe for Concentrated Dark Matter

Two: *snaps fingers* Yes!
Android: My man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
so whats happened this season?