Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Generic American posted:

Killing off Nyx was a little weird last season, but I don't think anything can top how they handled the addict doctor who joined at the same time. Still have no clue what the point was there.

Also I swear, they're dressing Five in those hideous couch-pattern shirts just to bug me at this point. :argh:

I thought Nyx would go away and be an occasional friendly rival, which I would have hated. Glad they killed her.

Is it me, or is the Android more -- killer roboty this season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I can't see where they are going with One. It's like the writers are itching to kill him off but he has an ironclad contract forever.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GreenNight posted:

Here is the Dark Matter after show, After Dark:

I was so prepared to trash this and the coming up countdowns were mildly off putting but I actually enjoyed it. Anthony Lemke weirded me out because in real life he's dweeby and nothing like 3. (I know I shouldn't be surprised that actors aren't like their characters, but come on.) The set design was awesome. As a teenager I wanted to work in make up and set design but had no idea how to do that and went down an entirely different path. I made the wrong choice.

Back to the show, I just don't know where they are going. The character development and plot are complicated beyond what one would expect from the writing in general. One is .. what? Dead, alive? Is he part of the show? I don't know. Six is the moral center then is pushing to do small crimes then becomes rebel leader? In a way it makes sense because he's lost and is looking for purpose but ...? Two is a ruthless psychopath then touchy feely good girl. Android is just all over the place. Four and Five are both on a steady arc that makes sense. I am of two minds about it. I don't know if it's brilliant (probably not) or lost and searching.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Polaron posted:

I mean, he hasn't been in the show since Jayce Corso got killed so presumably not? I'm not sure how anyone is confused on this point given he died over a season ago.

He had a cameo this season which implied he was alive.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I sometimes get the feeling someone at the network doesn't like the show and fucks with it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2017/07/06/july-6-2017-rallying-the-dark-matter-fans/

It's not my favorite show in television but I enjoy it and hope they get their 5 season.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This show is not complicated. If you can't follow this, everyday life must be an incomprehensible puzzle.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I think their set designs are smart. Sci-fi tv is risky, keeping costs down no doubt goes a long way with networks.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Invalid Validation posted:

I wish the guy who plays Ryo wouldn't speak. The girl samurai has a more threatening presence than he does.

The guy who plays Ryo is fine. The character Ryo was tougher in previous seasons, but the writers are setting him up to fall with hints his old girlfriend is the traitor. The girl is okay, I barely notice her. I'm just sick of 90lb action girls. I get they want strong female characters but cast women who look the role.

Edit: I don't know what all these numbers mean but it looks like Dark Matter is mid to mid-upper depending on how it sorted. So probably safe.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/syfy-tv-show-ratings-updated-33879/

wormil fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 10, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Lexx really needs to be divided into S1 Lexx and S2+ Lexx and nothing will ever top S1 Lexx. I used Lexx alot of times just now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Explains the killer robot vibe from earlier in the season.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This episode made me laugh aloud several times like when the boy looks at the girl and says, "ooo yuck, that's my cousin!" Also 5 looks better Goth than future frumpy clothes and blue hair look. And is it my imagination or has she been losing weight?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I liked SG1 but didn't realize there was still an active following. And really I don't see Dark Matter as another SG1, that is being floated by marketing to co-opt those fans. I will say they are doing a good job at using social media to build the Dark Matter fanbase as of late.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tokubetsu posted:

...theres supposed to be a galactic corporate war going on?

The galactic war is not the plot, it's background.

Don't tell though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Invalid Validation posted:

Too bad they couldn't be this good a season ago, it'd probably be a lot more popular.

Last I checked it was pretty popular among Syfy shows.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
No wonder he looks so happy all the time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't know, I don't find the story difficult at all. The finale was good enough, lots of cliffhangers but I feel confident there will be another season so no worries. The space battle was pretty good, wish it had lasted longer but that was probably a good chunk of their budget. If we are going to see all that Android future stuff, they need to pick up the pace.

As for the blink drive, I hope they never try to explain it. That's the worst thing you can do is try to explain fantasy tech.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I didn't see that coming. Apparently it slipped in the ratings this season although it still has more viewers than half the top syfy shows so I'm not really clear on how that works. More people watch it so we're going to cancel it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah killjoys has been in the bottom of the ratings for two seasons.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Killjoys is literally one of the worst series I've ever seen. It's mind numbingly boring. Every scene and every sentence of dialog feels like I've seen and heard it a thousand times already, and the acting was like people reading from cue cards. Well at least the first season, never watched after that. I really did hate it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'll try, maybe.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given that response, I can't help but wonder if the reason Killjoys got locked in for its final two seasons is because Dark Matter hosed up badly enough that SyFy took away their already-allotted season 4 budget and spent it on Killjoys instead.

There was no budget to take away, SyFy doesn't produce Dark Matter. Mallozi owns it and if he can find another network before the rent comes due on the sets, it could continue, but honestly I think it's a long shot. I enjoyed the show but a year from now I'm not going to miss it. What they should do is kill off the characters in Killjoys and hire the cast from Dark Matter, then at least that show would have one good thing going for it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Huh, I thought SyFy was paying for it in some respect. It is very curious they'd drop it then.

Only licensing fees. I thought so too until reading up on it after cancellation.

Apparently they did some Twitter thing that was successful. At this point I would be surprised if they didn't finish it somehow, with a comic or in animation, if they don't find a network. You gotta give Mallozi credit for being able to mobilize fans, but he should have started sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
According to Reddit they started tearing down sets today, the lease ran out. Apparently he still has one set left and they are trying to save as much as possible but I think it's dead. I give him credit for going down fighting.

• Locked thread