Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

** waits 30 seconds for webpage to start loading **

Well my web server just just woke up.
How do you like them app pools?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
iis sucks poo poo op, use nginx

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i like swimming

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I poo poo in the application pool

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
convert it all to aws lambda functions, op

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the only IIS I like is AC97

pram
Jun 10, 2001
microsoft bad

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

microsoft bad

holy poo poo ya they are

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

RISCy Business posted:

iis sucks poo poo op, use nginx

suits my needs, bitch!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody posted:

i like swimming

SWIM really needs help finding a job that doesn't involve loving with IIS...

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
lol if you aren't recycling app pools every day of your goddamned life

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i am glad that i never have to use a single microsoft product in my job

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

suits my needs, bitch!

your needs are wrong and bad

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
install the app init module, op

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
application pools are pretty good, op. they provide an easy mechanism to segregate processes running on the application server. in less advanced operating systems they are called "containers" and are not as good.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

microsoft bad

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

I like them, op. they never did anything wrong to me

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

URL grey tea posted:

install the app init module, op

i'm just going to convince the higher ups to ditch microsoft. sounds easier.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

just lmao if you don't have a fully loadbalanced websphere cell with clustering, op

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yeah it owns how if the site doesnt get hit for a while it goes to sleep and then takes like 30 seconds to wake up, this is an absolutely critical feature on hardware in the year 2017 where CPU and memory are at a premium and not plentiful and scaling as needed thanks to the creation of hypervisors 10 years ago

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
No, op

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

BiohazrD posted:

yeah it owns how if the site doesnt get hit for a while it goes to sleep and then takes like 30 seconds to wake up, this is an absolutely critical feature on hardware in the year 2017 where CPU and memory are at a premium and not plentiful and scaling as needed thanks to the creation of hypervisors 10 years ago

just set a job to ping it

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

oh dear, my site that didnt get any hits for 6 hours took 5 seconds to load

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

foxy boxing babe posted:

I like them, op. they never did anything wrong to me

i really like your av

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

OldAlias posted:

i need a service to keep my service running

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

akadajet posted:

i need a service to keep my service running

that's the gist of monitoring, yeah

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

that's the gist of monitoring, yeah

actually... monitoring just reports on the service and doesn't help it run better. its kinda worthless. yeah I know the service is down, or else it would be running right now.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

power botton posted:

actually... monitoring just reports on the service and doesn't help it run better. its kinda worthless. yeah I know the service is down, or else it would be running right now.

modern monitoring in an enterprise environment often automates the recovery of a lot of services and functions in the event they go down. collects and forwards logs, etc.

not where I work since automation of server backend poo poo is "scary" but I digress

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

i like swimming

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

modern monitoring in an enterprise environment often automates the recovery of a lot of services and functions in the event they go down. collects and forwards logs, etc.

not where I work since automation of server backend poo poo is "scary" but I digress

yeah I know what devops is

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

OldAlias posted:

or just turn off the feature

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

or just turn off the feature

i turned off the iis service and am much happier now, thanks!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's a bad idea

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger
we don’t have the time/resources to move away from them so there are worse things to worry about first. thanks for asking

pram
Jun 10, 2001
goondolences on your bad job

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

The setting to recycle daily is annoying and designed for poorly written sites but probably makes sense as a default for that reason.

I admit I can't think of any good reason for the default idle timeout.

PS. IIS is good anyway.

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger

pram posted:

goondolences on your bad job

it’s almost amazing the horrible things we get away with. just waiting for that sweet acquisition

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cool av posted:

The setting to recycle daily is annoying and designed for poorly written sites but probably makes sense as a default for that reason.

I admit I can't think of any good reason for the default idle timeout.

PS. IIS is good anyway.

I think the idea was that if your bad code full of leaks needs to be recycled its best to wait for inactivity to do the recycling. altho its also likely that the pool has roots in com pooling which has legitimate reasons for idling i.e. a client machine where resources are shared vs a web server w/ dedicated resources.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
iis is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

more like ISIS application pools

• Locked thread