Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

i had to stand in line behind a gaggle of mormons trying to split a tub of protein powder across 4 debit cards for these ingredients

can't let our own esteemed lindsey o. graham be the only person reppin the south, so here's...some stuff:

southwestern turkey skillet

ingredients:

1 lb. ground turkey
1 can black beans (rinsed)
1 ear / can of sweet yellow corn
1 cup brown rice, cooked
1 roasted poblano pepper (throw it under a broiler til it gets some nice char, then peel off the skin and chop it up)
1 fresh tomato, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, diced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
ranch dressing (used as a turkey marinade, also stirred some in towards the end, probably a couple tablespoons worth?)
other spices to taste (i used a bit of powdered chipotle, a decent amount of cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper)
cilantro to garnish

super easy to make, just marinate the turkey in the ranch for at least half an hour (don't use too much or it will get wet and it won't brown properly), cook the turkey until browned, toss in the onion, garlic, tomato paste until onions are softened and translucent, add the beans, corn, rice, poblano, and all other seasonings and stir it all together until everything is well combined and heated through. in retrospect i should have broiled the corn a bit when i was roasting the pepper, would have added a bit more flavor. overall not bad, the ranch melded with the other seasonings pretty well.

cool ranch queso

ingredients:

1/4 lb white american cheese
1/8 cup whole milk (any kind of milk should be fine)
1/2 tablespoon of butter
1 roasted poblano pepper, diced
1 fresh tomato, diced
handful of cool ranch doritos smashed into dust with your bare hands, you animal
pinch of powdered chipotle or cayenne pepper
cilantro for garnish

also very simple to make, just toss the cheese, milk, and butter in a saucepan over low heat and keep stirring until it's melted, then toss everything else in and stir until it's all combined. use the other doritos to as tortilla chips, of course.

watermelon with ranch-seasoned chevre, fresh mint, and honey

ingredients:

watermelon
ranch seasoning packet
chevre / some other fresh soft cheese
fresh mint (basil would also be good)
honey

cut the watermelon into cubes / circles / whatever shapes your heart desires, use a measuring spoon to scoop out a little bowl in the middle, pour a little honey in there. knead your ranch seasoning into the cheese (don't go overboard here, these flavors just barely work together), stick the cheese inside the watermelon bowls, add a leaf of mint and a little more honey. surprisingly not terrible, it's a pretty refreshing taste and the ranch seasoning is just strong enough to be intriguing without overpowering anything and tasting gross as hell. i mean it would almost assuredly be better if you just left out the ranch but that's not how this works so.

i also made an alcoholic beverage that was just rye whiskey with pickle juice steeped in leftover ranch seasoning. it was...not terrible, i guess, if the idea of whiskey and pickle juice isn't immediately revolting to you. didn't take a picture because it just looked exactly like a shot of whiskey and i know you all know what that looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
holy moly those are beautiful and also tasty looking

some real artists in this thread

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I regret avoiding this thread

you people are beautiful maniacs

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

i had to stand in line behind a gaggle of mormons trying to split a tub of protein powder across 4 debit cards for these ingredients

can't let our own esteemed lindsey o. graham be the only person reppin the south, so here's...some stuff:

southwestern turkey skillet

ingredients:

1 lb. ground turkey
1 can black beans (rinsed)
1 ear / can of sweet yellow corn
1 cup brown rice, cooked
1 roasted poblano pepper (throw it under a broiler til it gets some nice char, then peel off the skin and chop it up)
1 fresh tomato, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, diced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
ranch dressing (used as a turkey marinade, also stirred some in towards the end, probably a couple tablespoons worth?)
other spices to taste (i used a bit of powdered chipotle, a decent amount of cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper)
cilantro to garnish

super easy to make, just marinate the turkey in the ranch for at least half an hour (don't use too much or it will get wet and it won't brown properly), cook the turkey until browned, toss in the onion, garlic, tomato paste until onions are softened and translucent, add the beans, corn, rice, poblano, and all other seasonings and stir it all together until everything is well combined and heated through. in retrospect i should have broiled the corn a bit when i was roasting the pepper, would have added a bit more flavor. overall not bad, the ranch melded with the other seasonings pretty well.

cool ranch queso

ingredients:

1/4 lb white american cheese
1/8 cup whole milk (any kind of milk should be fine)
1/2 tablespoon of butter
1 roasted poblano pepper, diced
1 fresh tomato, diced
handful of cool ranch doritos smashed into dust with your bare hands, you animal
pinch of powdered chipotle or cayenne pepper
cilantro for garnish

also very simple to make, just toss the cheese, milk, and butter in a saucepan over low heat and keep stirring until it's melted, then toss everything else in and stir until it's all combined. use the other doritos to as tortilla chips, of course.

watermelon with ranch-seasoned chevre, fresh mint, and honey

ingredients:

watermelon
ranch seasoning packet
chevre / some other fresh soft cheese
fresh mint (basil would also be good)
honey

cut the watermelon into cubes / circles / whatever shapes your heart desires, use a measuring spoon to scoop out a little bowl in the middle, pour a little honey in there. knead your ranch seasoning into the cheese (don't go overboard here, these flavors just barely work together), stick the cheese inside the watermelon bowls, add a leaf of mint and a little more honey. surprisingly not terrible, it's a pretty refreshing taste and the ranch seasoning is just strong enough to be intriguing without overpowering anything and tasting gross as hell. i mean it would almost assuredly be better if you just left out the ranch but that's not how this works so.

i also made an alcoholic beverage that was just rye whiskey with pickle juice steeped in leftover ranch seasoning. it was...not terrible, i guess, if the idea of whiskey and pickle juice isn't immediately revolting to you. didn't take a picture because it just looked exactly like a shot of whiskey and i know you all know what that looks like

so yummy looking

this one's for you, esteemed fellow southerner, and you are quite the iron chef!

:kiss:
:cheers:
:tipshat:

e: i especially love the dessert; it's ingenious!

Lindsey O. Graham fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 14, 2017

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
if you want to put more ranch on the turkey, maillard rxn will work at boiling temp in a pressure cooker (viz., the water doesn't stop maillard rxn, the boiling does, because it keeps the stuff at 100 deg C)
ranch contains buttermilk, which makes rxn more difficult, you could velvet the turkey Chinese-style or just add small amount of baking powder

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

curufinor posted:

if you want to put more ranch on the turkey, maillard rxn will work at boiling temp in a pressure cooker (viz., the water doesn't stop maillard rxn, the boiling does, because it keeps the stuff at 100 deg C)
ranch contains buttermilk, which makes rxn more difficult, you could velvet the turkey Chinese-style or just add small amount of baking powder

hah, that's a cool trick, definitely going to play around with that a bit.

food science owns

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

curufinor posted:

is this really true, because i've never seen anything come out of a pressure cooker even the slightest bit browned

what sort of pressures are we talking about? household cookers only get to around 120 degrees C

e: i'm drunk again and missed :thejoke: nevermind

Duscat fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 16, 2017

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Duscat posted:

is this really true, because i've never seen anything come out of a pressure cooker even the slightest bit browned

what sort of pressures are we talking about? household cookers only get to around 120 degrees C

e: i'm drunk again and missed :thejoke: nevermind

alkalinity actually more important
you can get maillard at normal boiling, if you add lye to water
that's a bagel

the flavor components of maillard exist at 120
the coloring components are an order of magnitude less at 120
so it'll look p. drat similar but taste different
here's a chart

cite on that sucker: "A Review of Maillard Reaction in Food and Implications to Kinetic Modelling", S Martins et al, fig 3

curufinor fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 16, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

gonna pressure cook me some crispy lye-and-ranch bagels, brb

edit: i've actually never made bagels with lye before, i tried it once with baking soda but that's way less alkali and it didn't get that good crust. i know it's totally safe and all but the lizardy part of my brain does not like the idea of it

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 16, 2017

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

curufinor posted:

alkalinity actually more important
you can get maillard at normal boiling, if you add lye to water
that's a bagel

the flavor components of maillard exist at 120
the coloring components are an order of magnitude less at 120
so it'll look p. drat similar but taste different
here's a chart

cite on that sucker: "A Review of Maillard Reaction in Food and Implications to Kinetic Modelling", S Martins et al, fig 3

lol okay

go cook a thing in a pressure cooker with a maillard reaction

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Duscat posted:

use more soy sauce

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
welp my water heater blew so things might get interesting

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

mormonpartyboat posted:

welp my water heater blew so things might get interesting

condolences, my hot water heater blew up on november 9 (really lol) and they had to destroy my kitchen counters to fix it

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
luckily its out in the garage so i can kind of ignore it but lol

maybe i can get a fathers day deal on one

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

mormonpartyboat posted:

luckily its out in the garage so i can kind of ignore it but lol

maybe i can get a fathers day deal on one

oh poo poo today is fathers day

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
getting absolutely sloshed on g&ts and making some ranch chowder

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
slow cooked for extra pleasure

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

im going to die of extremely good flavors

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

mormonpartyboat posted:

getting absolutely sloshed on g&ts and making some ranch chowder

you know how to live!!!

very delicious looking!

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mormonpartyboat posted:

slow cooked for extra pleasure

lol :cheers:

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mormonpartyboat posted:

im going to die of extremely good flavors

is that bacon and corn i spy in that bowl?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

is that bacon and corn i spy in that bowl?

a 10 oz bag of frozen corn, some bacon strips, a whole sage jimmy dean sausage log, three big garlic smoked sausages diced, two onions, four potatoes, a cup of heavy cream, a can of creamed corn, a can of condensed milk, a quart of chicken broth, and a pile of spices (including some tarragon, just 4 u)

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mormonpartyboat posted:

a 10 oz bag of frozen corn, some bacon strips, a whole sage jimmy dean sausage log, three big garlic smoked sausages diced, two onions, four potatoes, a cup of heavy cream, a can of creamed corn, a can of condensed milk, a quart of chicken broth, and a pile of spices (including some tarragon, just 4 u)

that sounds extraordinarily yummy and satisfying!

also, it warms my cockles to hear you are enjoying tarragon too :3:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the milk/cream all separated and the liquids mixed with the bacon and sausage grease and reduced chicken stock to make a super tasty stock that was just soaked up by the meats and milk solids

i dont know what it is, since its certainly not chowder, but im in heaven

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
There is a cheat code for milk emulsification

It's called sodium citrate
Tastes salty and tangy, just takes a tiny tiny pinch to emulsify a whole pot of chowder or whatever

People should use more emulsifiers, lecithin is not bad for you

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

curufinor posted:

There is a cheat code for milk emulsification

It's called sodium citrate
Tastes salty and tangy, just takes a tiny tiny pinch to emulsify a whole pot of chowder or whatever

People should use more emulsifiers, lecithin is not bad for you

quotin this guy who knows cheating isn't cheating if it makes good food better

mustard in every mayo, baby

calcium chloride in every cheese

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
wandering way the hell off topic, but i just made a chocolate cake with ground up cacao nibs instead of cocoa powder and holy gently caress did that batter smell awesome all the way into the oven

end result is, i should have given them nibs a couple more minutes in the grinder to get properly pulverized, because the product clearly speaks of its heritage, also the sugar is basically lost and just tasting sweet at any taste buds that happen to come around

however, the apricot/triple sec/orange bitters filling is just about as european as could be expected and i'm defs rerunning it the next time the country calls me to bake one for the team

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
No Ranch, No Interest

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
did we died

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
work got super stupid and my water heater broke

so i have a three liter of the dew staring forlornly at me

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

mormonpartyboat posted:

work got super stupid and my water heater broke

so i have a three liter of the dew staring forlornly at me

Three... Liter? Three liter?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Three liter, bro! Three liters of Dew!

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
yeah im gonna boil it down to a pudding consistency, throw in some sweet rice flour, and then deep fry it

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mormonpartyboat posted:

yeah im gonna boil it down to a pudding consistency, throw in some sweet rice flour, and then deep fry it

show us how to love, and live life, oh honored, and cherished goon!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

mormonpartyboat posted:

:stonklol:

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief
spam challenge bump for mormon party boat

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
my dad made amazing omelettes with spam

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

spam challenge bump for mormon party boat

ive been swamped/burned out hard the last few weeks from work but i might get something up by this weekend~~~

gotta come up with some good secret ingredients

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mormonpartyboat posted:

ive been swamped/burned out hard the last few weeks from work but i might get something up by this weekend~~~

gotta come up with some good secret ingredients

that makes sense, and this can wait on you; we all get busy sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mister magpie posted:

my dad made amazing omelettes with spam

:yum: :yum:

• Locked thread