Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mags

I am a congenital optimist.

Manifisto posted:

here's what I got

omg amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags

that new sig smell...mmmmm

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
looking good, mister magpie!

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Sensual Simian

summer jorts

They Might Be posted:

i gotcha!

enjoy, and... :justpost:

or if you prefer 700kb

holy poo poo....summer is here to stay

Sensual Simian

summer jorts
holy moses They Might Be, I feel like a real human ready for some hot summer action... one of these days, before I die, I would like to try my hand at some of these digital artistic enterprises

seriously, this is a dang good sig :discourse:

I've spent most of my 13 years on the SomethingAwful.com forums just enjoying the atmosphere. Today is the first day that I've actually felt welcome to spend my time here.

Sensual Simian fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 17, 2017

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Sensual Simian posted:

holy moses They Might Be, I feel like a real human ready for some hot summer action... one of these days, before I die, I would like to try my hand at some of these digital artistic enterprises

I've spent most of my 13 years on the SomethingAwful.com forums just enjoying the atmosphere. Today is the first day that I've actually felt welcome to spend my time here.

that's what we're here to do.* I think I lurked here on and off for about 4 years, bought an account, and then lurked on and off for another 6 years, then I decided to :justpost:

*am I allowed to say that? am I doing this right?

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

They Might Be

i'm just glad a monkey on a boat giving its bum a good scratch gave someone else as much joy as it gave me

Manifisto

They Might Be posted:

it would be super cool if anyone could sig me a small summer mantis totem for my sig. 150px height w/ transparent background and i'll add it in!

uh by "totem" what do you mean exactly? like are you referring to indigenous art designs, maybe a bit abstract, or do you just want a small pic of a mantis?

They Might Be

Manifisto posted:

uh by "totem" what do you mean exactly? like are you referring to indigenous art designs, maybe a bit abstract, or do you just want a small pic of a mantis?

sorry i was using totem like the thing people hold up on sticks at music fest. a little icon i can add to the line like the play-doh mantis head from sext. animated, not animated, physical, digital, inspired by any post (beer, mantis, anagrams, old arcade ads) don't care as long as under 150px height with a background i can key out or is already transparent!

edit: badge probably would have been the most clear word to use.

They Might Be fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 17, 2017

Robot Made of Meat

Sensual Simian posted:

Another BYOB Success Story!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Starman Super DX

having a lot of fun with this and I thought of one more sig idea that made me lol but I think I need some help. I love abusing the hell out of frinkiac and I thought of a great simpsons gif that I wanted to make but it comes out strange when I download the gif and try to open it in Photoshop. Any suggestions. For reference, it's this one.

e: by strange I mean missing lots of pieces? It's difficult to explain really.

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 18, 2017

Tell me more!

vanisher

Starman Super DX posted:

having a lot of fun with this and I thought of one more sig idea that made me lol but I think I need some help. I love abusing the hell out of frinkiac and I thought of a great simpsons gif that I wanted to make but it comes out strange when I download the gif and try to open it in Photoshop. Any suggestions. For reference, it's this one.

make sure you 'unoptimize,' this way each frame can be edited a little easier without trailers. If you're going to add stuff, also move it from 'indexed' color scheme to 'rgb'

any ideas on how you want to edit this bad boy i'll give it a shot

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

vanisher

Ah I see what you mean - it's got some color issues in the wallpaper, etc.

vanisher fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 18, 2017

Starman Super DX

vanisher posted:

make sure you 'unoptimize,' this way each frame can be edited a little easier without trailers. If you're going to add stuff, also move it from 'indexed' color scheme to 'rgb'

any ideas on how you want to edit this bad boy i'll give it a shot

Hmm I'm not sure if that's what it is. This is how it appears in Photoshop after getting it from Frinkiac

So I feel like I'm missing a step somewhere.

Tell me more!

vanisher

Starman Super DX posted:

Hmm I'm not sure if that's what it is. This is how it appears in Photoshop after getting it from Frinkiac

So I feel like I'm missing a step somewhere.

When you export as a gif in GIMP you can set frames (layers) to either 'replace' or 'combine,' it looks like it's set to replace the first layer or something, maybe force them to combine all? Sorry I don't know PS very well I think Manifisto would be able to help but he's in jail

Manifisto

hmmm looks like there were some slightly weird things about the way the frame disposal was specified, also the color indexing

I'm curious, is this one easier to work with in photoshop? I actually use gimp for my gif editing, I don't have full photoshop only ps elements.

I have an unoptimized file too, but it's like 53 MB, kind of unwieldy to transfer/share (too big for imgur I think)

lol

Starman Super DX

Manifisto posted:

hmmm looks like there were some slightly weird things about the way the frame disposal was specified, also the color indexing

I'm curious, is this one easier to work with in photoshop? I actually use gimp for my gif editing, I don't have full photoshop only ps elements.

I have an unoptimized file too, but it's like 53 MB, kind of unwieldy to transfer/share (too big for imgur I think)

lol

Yes, that did it! Thank you! :D I downloaded GIMP too since I'd been playing with both so I could decide which one was easier to use. What was it you did in GIMP to fix it or get it to display properly? I'm guessing PS's default settings were causing it to render incorrectly or something.
Anyway, this was my original vision, made with the file you fixed for me.

e: Appended to include your credit.

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 18, 2017

Tell me more!

Manifisto

They Might Be posted:

sorry i was using totem like the thing people hold up on sticks at music fest. a little icon i can add to the line like the play-doh mantis head from sext. animated, not animated, physical, digital, inspired by any post (beer, mantis, anagrams, old arcade ads) don't care as long as under 150px height with a background i can key out or is already transparent!

edit: badge probably would have been the most clear word to use.

this isn't what you asked for . . . at all . . . but I thought it was kinda cool so I'm posting it anyway

just sorta messin around with mantis pix

ty nesamdoom!

POOL IS CLOSED

that mantis looks like a wood carving :aaa:

Manifisto

Starman Super DX posted:

Yes, that did it! Thank you! :D I downloaded GIMP too since I'd been playing with both so I could decide which one was easier to use. What was it you did in GIMP to fix it or get it to display properly? I'm guessing PS's default settings were causing it to render incorrectly or something.

since you haven't used gimp, you have to understand that animations in gimp require a bit of hackery . . . there's some basic support in there by default, and there are free extensions you can download that allow you to do kinda neat stuff, but none of it is particularly elegant interface-wise

so when you open a gif in gimp, it will open as a multilayer image. the names of the layers are what stores the information about how long each layer is displayed (e.g. "(100ms)") and the frame display mode (which will be either "(replace)" or "(combine)"). text that doesn't fit those formats is basically ignored when it comes to displaying the gif animation.

but! since this is kind of a hacky way to do it, if the layers are named in a way that the parser can't quite understand you get unexpected behavior. one that happens to me sometimes is that both "(combine)" and "(replace)" will end up in the layer name, you want to avoid that

when I opened up the simpsons gif in gimp, I noticed that a number of the layers were named slightly strangely (there was an exclamation point in parentheses, this apparently caused some weird behavior). I manually fixed them to avoid problems.

also, the simpsons gif you provided was, somehow, not in indexed color mode--at least not when gimp opened it up (it opened as rgb mode). this is strange to me as I thought gifs had to be indexed colors. I changed the image mode to indexed, 255-color palette, and allowed gimp to approximate colors by dithering. this removed some of the wallpaper color weirdness, although some of that weirdness (the "posterized" look) was in the original file and would probably have to be manually removed to smooth out

uh, as vanisher referred to I also unoptimized the image then re-optimized it, maybe unnecessary but it let me see what I was working with better

finally--I like what you did with the image!

vanisher

Starman Super DX posted:

e: Appended to include your credit.

you can add or edit frames without screwing up an entire gif by 'unoptimizing' the image once you open it, then optimizing it after you're done to save file size

File > Export As > (enter filename.gif) > Options menu opens up for forced frame delay or forced 'replace/combine'

Starman Super DX

All of this was really helpful! And yeah, I can see the use in making a "unoptimized" file in order to get the extra frames. I'll definitely refer to all of this info again the next time I download a new Simpsons gif.
As for the hackery, I'm 99% sure that most of this is done and can be done in PS, I'm just still trying to figure it out or I need to learn some of those terms so I know what to google for PS tutorials and get help on specific subjects
What the PS gif work space looks like

Tell me more!

Manifisto

ok here's this bur on reflection you probably want a whole mantis, not something cut off . . . or do you?

DirtyBear

i like this one

Starman Super DX

DirtyBear posted:

i like this one

You would like that one, you filthy ursine. :v:

Tell me more!

mags

gif school is in full session

lesson 1 it is pronounced with a hard guh like in "graphics"

lesson 2 in order to continue this pronunciation convention jpeg is pronounced "jay-feg"

Mariana Horchata

i think im gonna sig this up

Just wipe the text and insert the usual in some appropriate and closly matching font same colour white... What do ya think? 😝

And sideways too, obviously...

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 19, 2017

Impkins Patootie

just making note here before i smoke myself into a semi-paralytical state

gonna go w/ this

text switched and matched and its gonna be BAD rear end :radcat:

kinda want to not remove the part that says Angel Dust tho :hai:

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Mariana Horchata posted:

i think im gonna sig this up

Just wipe the text and insert the usual in some appropriate and closly matching font same colour white... What do ya think? 😝

And sideways too, obviously...

why on earth would you not want  t h e b e s t o f f o r u m l e t t e r s in your sig

Twenty Four

mister magpie posted:

gif school is in full session

lesson 1 it is pronounced with a hard guh like in "graphics"

Yeah!

mister magpie posted:

lesson 2 in order to continue this pronunciation convention jpeg is pronounced "jay-feg"

Nooooo Peg!

Mariana Horchata

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

why on earth would you not want  t h e b e s t o f f o r u m l e t t e r s in your sig

rap sheets got it covered m8

mags

Twenty Four posted:

Yeah!

Nooooo Peg!

if gif is pronounced this way becasue of the hard g in "graphics"

jpeg is pronounced with the ph because of "photo"

Starman Super DX

the j is for the j that you do while viewing it :420:

Tell me more!

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
could someone please make me a sig featuring the cat in my av

and if you want a sig for yourself, post what kind of stuff you like

repost if you have already requested one, but no one has yet made it

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 19, 2017

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

They Might Be

Manifisto posted:

ok here's this bur on reflection you probably want a whole mantis, not something cut off . . . or do you?

yeah!!

that's the stuff

if you still have the source can you hit me with a version with a transparent background so I can put deeper it in the sig like so?

They Might Be fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 20, 2017

Manifisto

They Might Be posted:

yeah!!

that's the stuff

if you still have the source can you hit me with a version with a transparent background so I can put deeper it in the sig like so?

of course! I shoulda just included the transparent version the first time around.

They Might Be

Manifisto posted:

of course! I shoulda just included the transparent version the first time around.

hell yes, i love the pose too.

they're like hard cats with creepier mouths, they spend so much of their day grooming.

for those not in the know, its this lovely behavior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTsf30Dr2mY

They Might Be fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 20, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

i missed out on spring sigs :shobon: might i have a beeyoutiful summer byob sig?

may I have a flower sig please :sun:

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

may I have a flower sig please :sun:

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED

this is dope af

• Locked thread