Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
http://www.mmorpg.com/news/updated-magic-the-gathering-mmo-announced-by-cryptic-and-pwe-1000044474

https://crypticstudios.com/magic

It's going to be an action MMO and made by Cryptic, so I think we all know what to expect.

This is only a marginally better idea than a kickstarter scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
There's no way this could ever turn out well. Any Mana mechanic will be clunky.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

An experienced western studio making a new mmorpg is actually very interesting, I wonder if it's on behest of their Chinese overlords.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

Where are the 200 dollar founder's packs?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Shy posted:

experienced

Like Radium has experience writing custom code for internet forums.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Are MTG fans really invested in MTG lore, as opposed to regular reasons people get into MTG like deckbuilding, sweet art and the competitive scene?

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Pierson posted:

Are MTG fans really invested in MTG lore, as opposed to regular reasons people get into MTG like deckbuilding, sweet art and the competitive scene?

I enjoyed reading Test of Metal. That said, even if the setting is cool in places, (Mirrodin) there's no way this ends well.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Running far away from any PWE game.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

Like Radium has experience writing custom code for internet forums.

I mean compared to croundfunded poo poo that's half of this subforum yeah, better than nothing.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

If they don't call lockboxes "boosters" then I will personally fight Cryptic's marketing department 1v1.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Shy posted:

I mean compared to croundfunded poo poo that's half of this subforum yeah, better than nothing.

To be fair, that's like 99% AD and not actually representative of the community.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

But ADL is like a martyr, taking it upon himself to remind us that nothing good is being developed anymore.

Shy fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 11, 2017

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
So will I have to own vast tracks of land to use my abilities, like some kind of magical real estate tycoon?

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016
Can they fix the UX in magic online before they go and make an MMO?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

beep_boop posted:

Can they fix the UX in magic online before they go and make an MMO?

different devs, cryptic/pw just license their stuff

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I just want to slap whoever it is at WotC that are making the business decisions for the Magic franchise. This is an IP that has been begging for a proper online card game for over a decade. They have been getting smoked by Hearthstone, Hex, Elder Scrolls, and a dozen others when, what I think what a lot of people really want to do, is just play Magic! And here we are, with an... action MMORPG set in a (multi)verse that no one even cares about. It boggles the mind.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Bramble posted:

I just want to slap whoever it is at WotC that are making the business decisions for the Magic franchise. This is an IP that has been begging for a proper online card game for over a decade. They have been getting smoked by Hearthstone, Hex, Elder Scrolls, and a dozen others when, what I think what a lot of people really want to do, is just play Magic! And here we are, with an... action MMORPG set in a (multi)verse that no one even cares about. It boggles the mind.

You're over thinking it. The entire game is going to be a gamble box delivery system and nothing more.

It will make money because IP + collectors + addictive personalities + real money virtual booster packs. Lots of money.

This entire MTG: The MMO is going to make serious bank. Will it be a good game? Almost certainly not but I don't think that was the objective. It only needs to be "okay".

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Pretty sure this will be a generic 'action' MMORPG with an MtG coat of paint. Also Perfect World seems to be involved, which of course means that the game will have seventeen different currencies, but only one or two will matter, and those will require mommy's credit card to obtain.

Also does anyone else think it's hysterical that a big "Join our team!!" box is right on the same page as the announcement? Has Cryptic not yet hired the one coder and four Full Sail grads who will helm this shitvoyage?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Cryptic lost tons of people last year, some were fired, others just quit, haven't really bothered to keep up with any of that though. Also calling it now it'll be like Neverwinter only with Magic names instead of 4e ones.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Morglon posted:

Cryptic lost tons of people last year, some were fired, others just quit, haven't really bothered to keep up with any of that though. Also calling it now it'll be like Neverwinter only with Magic names instead of 4e ones.

That would surpass my expectations

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Sign up for the promo Black Lotus edition now and receive and in game skin plus a mount and a bunch of loving cash shop gems for just $199, gently caress you pieces of poo poo. - cryptic.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

if i am not playing as a planeswalker this game can go gently caress itself

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

oh wow, another fantasy MMORPG, just what we needed...

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape
I played an indie mmorpg once that ripped off the MtG color pie and let you pick two colors, the magic system was the coolest thing about that game. The color pie is really well suited to an rpg and it's shocking (no it's not, WotC idiots) that it took this long for a real MtG rpg to show up. This game will suck, all games suck.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Morglon posted:

They're also hiring for a lot of positions so who knows tho

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cryptic Studio MMO's are boring as poo poo.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Dyson Sphere era STO was fun.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I said come in! posted:

City of Heroes was THE BEST MMORPG EVER. Yeah, it was a bit rough around the edges at launch, and had some spaghetti code under the hood. It was still THE BEST EVER.

Champions sucked. The art sucked, it was much, much too fiddly and confusing, and still it was so easy that there was no need to team, so no one did. Worst of all, they made the fatal mistake of balancing PvE using PvP as a guideline. Micro-drones would be dominating PvP one week, so next week droners would log in to find themselves nerfed to poo poo (haha no respec, gently caress you). The community sucked.

I didn't play Star Trek, but from everything I heard, it sucked.At launch, when you got to 30 the content vanished. It was confusing, and as for the community... just imagine the worst Pocket D yiffers, take the very worst of those, multiply by a thousand, and that was everyone.

Neverwinter was very good at low levels; easy to play, great graphics, smooth advancement. But at max level, you got dumped onto the loot treadmill, which consisted of "run lovely raids to get purple gear which let you run higher level lovely raids". The raids all had a precise formula to follow, and your autistic leader would yell at you if you varied by a millimeter. The best gear came from crafting, which was massively timegated unless you punched in mommy's credit card. PvP was entirely gear based. And oh yeah, the community was horrible. The Pocket D clone was "The Moonstone Mask" (which had been a whorehouse in the original game) where yiffers yiffed nonstop. The Mask had a "VIP room" which was open only to the lardbags who shelled out $200 for the "founders pack", and from what I heard that room was a 24/7 cybersex orgy. There was a "Foundry", which let you make missions like Mission Architect, but 95% percent were "BEST FARM BEST TIME", and 5% were fetish fulfillment.

So, yeah, I'm thinking the MtG game is gonna suck.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
You're pretty wrong there. Neverwinter was never good, getting rooted in place for attacks was a dumb idea for a game that requires this much movement among other really really dumb decisions. The foundry is also at least 80% fan wankery and fiction because Cryptic was really on the ball about fixing things that made it feasible to level without the grind or get good stuff so the amount of those after a certain point was pretty low with the odd mission that was actually worth playing mixed in. The adventures of Captain Adventure series was pretty good, no idea if that still exists though. Not that I care, Cryptic games haven't been worth playing in a long time.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Morglon posted:

You're pretty wrong there. Neverwinter was never good,

I'm agreeing with you there. Neverwinter was 99% suckage, the 1% being that the low level experience didn't suck too hard.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Morglon posted:

You're pretty wrong there. Neverwinter was never good, getting rooted in place for attacks was a dumb idea for a game that requires this much movement among other really really dumb decisions. The foundry is also at least 80% fan wankery and fiction because Cryptic was really on the ball about fixing things that made it feasible to level without the grind or get good stuff so the amount of those after a certain point was pretty low with the odd mission that was actually worth playing mixed in. The adventures of Captain Adventure series was pretty good, no idea if that still exists though. Not that I care, Cryptic games haven't been worth playing in a long time.

Yeah this.

But fix the massive game & economy breaking exploits reported during alpha/beta before open beta/launch? Hahaha. No. Remember if you make leveling pleasant nobody is going to want to spend money on XP potions after all.

That's why you got Caturday amongst other things. Believe me all that poo poo was well known ahead of time and nobody in charge cared.

The great weapon fighter class wasn't even able to be tested before launch because armor wasn't working. AT ALL. Believe me I tried very hard and had to down all my health potions on the first pack of trash mobs not to die.

Oh yeah even the class itself wasn't implemented in engine until about a week or two before open beta. Everything about Neverwinter Online was a rush job shambles and the only stuff that worked properly was the cash shop.
Once upon a time you could even move while using abilities. Crazy right?

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 16, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

why has every mmo made this decade been utter garbage every single one is some shady company with a cash shop.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

1. Cash shops make money, a lot of money.
2. The fad has died and most everyone's given up on trying to make the WoW killer, so that leaves the people banking on cash shop whaling.

E: And FFXIV, though they've started doing the pay to skip thing WoW did.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

At the very least there are some interesting settings, this could maybe work if they put a LOT of effort into it but I know it won't happen

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Dyson Sphere era STO was fun.
Yeah, for a period of a year or two there STO was legitimately fun. The content was entertaining, the systems were... okay clunky but stuff was easy enough it didn't matter if you had some weird gimmick build, and while there was some gamble box bullshit it was still pretty easy to get the loot from those from the in-game auction house with regular casual play. I'd unironically argue it was probably the best MMO on the market at the time.

... Except not long after that they did a new expansion that raised the level cap, added a system to ~upgrade items~ (which was a colossal cash sink), obsoleted all the existing ships (but you could buy new, more expensive versions!), they reduced XP and made leveling more grindy, added super special ultra rare gamble prizes that dropped from boxes that had nothing else of worth (and were instantly too expensive for a casual player to ever buy in-game), and generally just doubled down on the asian-style MMO bullshit. And Neverwinter basically launched with all that sort of cash shop bullshit and somehow actually manages to wind up a lot worse than many asian MMOs. It's kind of amazing.

I really hate to say it but there isn't a chance in hell of this game being good, whatever form it takes. The comment about it basically being a gamble box delivery system will absolutely be spot on, and it's a goddamn shame. Even if you hated Cryptic they were one of the few companies who actually experimented with MMOs and did genres and experimental systems and heavy customization that nobody else really attempted, and it's just depressing to see them sunk this far by their chinese overlords. :smith:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Asimo posted:

I really hate to say it but there isn't a chance in hell of this game being good, whatever form it takes. The comment about it basically being a gamble box delivery system will absolutely be spot on, and it's a goddamn shame. Even if you hated Cryptic they were one of the few companies who actually experimented with MMOs and did genres and experimental systems and heavy customization that nobody else really attempted, and it's just depressing to see them sunk this far by their chinese overlords. :smith:

The game will no doubt be bad, but I'm sure it will be profitable. Remember that MtG is already a gamble box; you buy a booster and cross your fingers hoping for this set's $50 Mythic. The audience is already there.

As for Cryptic, they earned a lot of respect for creating City of Heroes, but their subsequent string of lovely games has pissed it away. 'Sides, I'm sure that none of the original crew are there today.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
WotC clearly thinks Cryptic is doing good work with Neverwinter

Then again they think MTGO is fine and that game has reached the age of consent in Spain

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

You say that, but they're making another attempt at a digital Magic client (MtG Arena). At this point they're throwing darts at the wall and hoping one of them sticks.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Is his the sequel to Shandalar? Please say yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
There is no way this won't end in disaster. I hope it at least makes for an amusing wreckage.

Kind of a shame too, you could do some interesting stuff if you went off the deep end and tried to make an MMO that blended in the concepts of the card game but played fast and loose with them.

Eg. things like how you build up mana, the various "types" of spell like instant Vs sorcery. Stuff like that. Some sort of weird deck concept backing your abilities. Like that one Kingdom Hearts side game but not trash maybe.

• Locked thread