Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Got to episode 7. It's had a marked uptick in quality the last few episodes, mostly Tastyee. And Nicki's scene where she realizes Lorna is still crazy as hell. But once the guard stumbles out with the only gun, why not storm the place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PostNouveau posted:

Got to episode 7. It's had a marked uptick in quality the last few episodes, mostly Tastyee. And Nicki's scene where she realizes Lorna is still crazy as hell. But once the guard stumbles out with the only gun, why not storm the place?

There are still hostages. Storming the place could end with them being injured or killed.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

5x13/whole season stuff:
Meth heads: Was really hoping they were going to get caught with the body and held responsible or something. Like the thread I'm pretty sick of them.

Piscatella: I don't get what they were going for with this arc. When they started the flashbacks I was thinking "oh they're going to show us how he became an rear end in a top hat" which quickly turned into "are they trying to make him sympathetic?" ...but they never kind of payed off on it very well. He had this big thing about how you can never give inmates any ground or they'll take advantage of you - I was expecting him to be betrayed by his prison lover or something. Or something involving a prisoner taking advantage of his kindness or leeway.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Oxyclean posted:

5x13/whole season stuff:
Meth heads: Was really hoping they were going to get caught with the body and held responsible or something. Like the thread I'm pretty sick of them.

Piscatella: I don't get what they were going for with this arc. When they started the flashbacks I was thinking "oh they're going to show us how he became an rear end in a top hat" which quickly turned into "are they trying to make him sympathetic?" ...but they never kind of payed off on it very well. He had this big thing about how you can never give inmates any ground or they'll take advantage of you - I was expecting him to be betrayed by his prison lover or something. Or something involving a prisoner taking advantage of his kindness or leeway.

Yeah, the only thing I got from his storyline was that he was an rear end in a top hat, but also a gay rear end in a top hat. There wasn't anything that made you understand his motivation.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I hope piscatella isnt dead but just out cold, next season we learn that by giving no ground he means he should have just killed the inmate he was torturing. maybe as revenge for the shower torture they kill his boyfriend.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

underage at the vape shop posted:

I hope piscatella isnt dead but just out cold, next season we learn that by giving no ground he means he should have just killed the inmate he was torturing. maybe as revenge for the shower torture they kill his boyfriend.

The guy did die though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

underage at the vape shop posted:

5x13 it's confirmed then and there that he's dead. One of the SWAT guys tries to find his pulse and can't. Man's brown bread.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If they wanted to do more, they could always bring back his prison ex(?)

I dunno. I still think there was more story there to tell, they just didn't manage to do it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

5x13 it's confirmed then and there that he's dead. One of the SWAT guys tries to find his pulse and can't. Man's brown bread.

poo poo i mustve looked away

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
S5x6 I'm stunned that Piscatella telling Ruiz that she was getting years tacked on to her sentence with no hearing or nothing was enough to push her over the deep end and in to hardcore gangster mode. How dumb are these people. Please storm the prison and kill everyone.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
This season was fantastic, I felt more engaged than in any season since the first. Doing the entire season over a ~3 day period really worked for me, everything felt intimate and tightly paced. Really good stuff!

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm happy with this season so far. I almost didn't bother since I thought last season was pretty bland. I'm willing to put aside certain things for the sake of the plot but I don't get why, as of episode 8, the meth heads have somehow become influential people within the prison. They start as clearly just comic relief but now they are dictating what should be done with Pennsyltucky and people are listening. I get that people are mad at them for letting Donuts go but this development seemed out of nowhere

I also really enjoyed from ep. 8 Lichfield coffee co. open mic

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Reality Winner posted:

S5x6 I'm stunned that Piscatella telling Ruiz that she was getting years tacked on to her sentence with no hearing or nothing was enough to push her over the deep end and in to hardcore gangster mode. How dumb are these people. Please storm the prison and kill everyone.

Inmates would get shots for the most petty of reasons, randomly searched and several women got straight up raped by guards. I wouldn't be shocked if Ruiz took what Piscatella said at face value because she had so much at stake and so much working against her.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This show is so loving frustrating, you can't just willy-nilly shift between poo poo like prison torture and murder and then be all like LOL THESE WACKY METH HEADS and suddenly it's a cartoon, you don't get to do that poo poo and get away with it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Hakkesshu posted:

This show is so loving frustrating, you can't just willy-nilly shift between poo poo like prison torture and murder and then be all like LOL THESE WACKY METH HEADS and suddenly it's a cartoon, you don't get to do that poo poo and get away with it.
Next thing you know there will be fart jokes in serious grizzled HBO westerns.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

Next thing you know there will be fart jokes in serious grizzled HBO westerns.

don't you dare compare this fecal cake of a show to deadwood

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
show makes me wish Oz still existed

its a mediocre replacement but it will work

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why does everyone hate the best Netflix original series so drat much?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Why does everyone hate the best Netflix original series so drat much?

The best turd is still a turd.

Admittedly season 1 of House of Cards is one of the best things I've ever watched but wow, it went downhill fast.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Master of None is way better than OitNB. I'd probably rate Love above it as well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Master of None is very good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh yeah Master of None is great.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
After five seasons, I feel like you should have figured out this show is a sitcom. And yet people keep getting upset by it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mossyfisk posted:

After five seasons, I feel like you should have figured out this show is a sitcom. And yet people keep getting upset by it.

But it's in a prison! You can't have a sitcom in a prison! Hogan's Heroes was a super serious drama about Nazi oppression!

(No, but seriously, this seems to be the big disjunct in a lot of people's minds. Anything remotely serious about prisons has to be wall to wall rape. Anything less is just frivolous rubbish. Hence Wentworth -- which is a completely ridiculous show -- getting a free pass because it at least _looks_ grim. It's aesthetic over content.)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

But it's in a prison! You can't have a sitcom in a prison! Hogan's Heroes was a super serious drama about Nazi oppression!

(No, but seriously, this seems to be the big disjunct in a lot of people's minds. Anything remotely serious about prisons has to be wall to wall rape. Anything less is just frivolous rubbish. Hence Wentworth -- which is a completely ridiculous show -- getting a free pass because it at least _looks_ grim. It's aesthetic over content.)

I have not seen that show but the whole point is that it clashes in a ridiculous way in OITNB. They're trying to have it both ways and both the comedy and the drama end up much worse for it because there is no tonal consistency, or any consistency in general with this show.

It also doesn't help that the writing is garbage as others have pointed out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

They're trying to have it both ways and both the comedy and the drama end up much worse for it because there is no tonal consistency, or any consistency in general with this show.

I don't get it. Surely, if they're doing this all the time (which they are) then there is a tonal consistency...?

Look, I'm sure that kind of scene-to-scene transition is something that bothers a lot of people. But for what it's worth, I generally think tone arguments are overrated. Perhaps because I'm an overly forgiving viewer, or maybe I'm super magically flexible or whatever, but... I feel it's the kind of argument used as the stick to beat a show when it either failed to live up to its advertising or to a preconceived narrative image. That''s just my limited experience speaking though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm sort of super forgiving of this show (and Jenji Kohan in general) because even when it inevitably starts to get a bit ridiculous, at its heart it continues to be about deeply flawed, hosed up people, and that's my poo poo.

Weeds, for instance, had a lot of weird tonal issues in the later seasons, and increasingly ridiculous situations. But Nancy remained consistent for me, and so hosed up that I could completely believe her getting into such stupid situations.

Basically Piper (and a few others in the show) is my Nancy, and I'm cool staying on this ride until the characters I enjoy are gone.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Noctone posted:

Master of None is way better than OitNB. I'd probably rate Love above it as well.

I would too. Love is still favorite Netflix Original, OitNB & House of Cards were there first but they're dragging on. Love is still fresh and Master of None hasn't clicked at all for me but I get people disagreeing.

fake edit: Bojack Horseman is up there too.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 20, 2017

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I don't mind the tonal shifts, but the writers are not nearly as clever as they think they are.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

mossyfisk posted:

It's definitely changed over time.

Remember those wacky sitcom elements from season one, like Crazy Eyes making Piper her prison wife and sneaking in to her bunk to piss on her floor, or when Piper was being fed tampon sandwiches for criticizing Red's food, or when Doggett tried to kill Piper in the shower? loving HI-larious, I could not stop laughing.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

GobiasIndustries posted:

I would too. Love is still favorite Netflix Original, OitNB & House of Cards were there first but they're dragging on. Love is still fresh and Master of None hasn't clicked at all for me but I get people disagreeing.

fake edit: Bojack Horseman is up there too.

Yeah, Love might be my favorite thing on Netflix. Master of None was good but I would probably rather watch a season of this show than Master Of None if I had to make a snap decision.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
5x7 So Red went from being anti-drug to the point of expelling Natasha Lyonne from the family for using, and steadfastly refused to move drugs in during season 2, is now snorting random white powder (probably caffeine powder but whatever) from Diabla. What is going on.
Bayley should have killed even more.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I have no loving clue what's going on with Red in this season, I feel like they didn't set that up at all.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
5x11 The gently caress is this montage? I watched a woman get scalped and a man scalded to death and now it's an episode of Scooby Doo.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I honestly didn't understand if the writers wanted my reaction to be :ohdear: or :haw: when Piscatella went around and did his Voorhees thing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The plot structure of this season is so stupid it ruined a lot of the good parts for me.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I liked this season a lot because Piper had maybe 20 minutes of dialogue in the whole thing.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Asiina posted:

I liked this season a lot because Piper had maybe 20 minutes of dialogue in the whole thing.

I couldn't put my finger on it, but that's exactly why this season works for me.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Less Piper is my biggest problem with this season, tbh.

It's me. I'm still that girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

esperterra posted:

Less Piper is my biggest problem with this season, tbh.

It's me. I'm still that girl.

Piper is a perfectly fine and interesting character when used correctly (which IMO she has been since they dropped Larry/her family subplots). I feel like people just love bashing her as a character using the same recycled criticisms from Season 1.

• Locked thread