Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Captain
Apr 22, 2008

I did it wit my lil hatchet
This show has the same obsession that The Sopranos and Mad Men had with people being mostly incapable of change, but doesn't have the writing talent to make it fun to watch characters relapse. Instead, it just feels like the show itself relapsing. I still enjoyed the season, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Captain
Apr 22, 2008

I did it wit my lil hatchet

Steve2911 posted:

I can't really agree with that. Even if characters don't become perfect people overnight they've mostly had pretty significant development and changed some lovely behaviours for the better. Or at least started on the road to doing so.

Piper, Healy, Caputo, Doggett and Nichols being the biggest examples that come to mind.

Fair enough. I definitely got the show's message wrong -- It's actually pretty optimistic and believes in our ability to change. It's still tiresome as poo poo to watch people's failures to change in this show, though. And while it's realistic that Suzanne and Lorna can't escape mental illness, I'm pretty sick of them, too. The fact that they "don't become perfect people overnight" is kind of the focus here, because while I understand that it would be bad writing and I would complain more about that happening, there's something off about how it currently works. It makes me wonder if I'm annoyed with the show for being written poorly, or with humans for acting the way the show accurately portrays them. The latter fits pretty well with my perception of the things I find fascinating about the show.

• Locked thread