Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

The Story So Far



Itís yet another day in the world of Edenís Seed, where the sky is blue, the Wetern Reaches are just beyond the overhead sun, and the city of Landale bustles with purpose as the peoples of the nations of The Kingdom of Camineet, the Dwarven hub of Bortevo, the Elven reaches of Eppi, and the merchant enclave of Parolit set about trying to keep the peace between their respective lands. Reconstruction from the most recent war for Eden continue in earnest, though ever-present hordes of nature and the unnatural alike hamper the efforts. Still, any time of turmoil is also a time of great opportunity, and anything lost is just waiting to be uncovered once again.



A group of adventurers from all across Eden's Seed have gathered in the Hospitaller's Point tavern in Landale, brought together through mutual contacts, informants, and wanderlust. 6 years out from the end of the century, what will change and shape this inverted world? We're just getting started - pull up a seat and follow along!

Rhyos fucked around with this message at Jun 10, 2017 around 08:15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

EY4794 - The City-State of Landale - Hospitaller Point


The City-State of Landale is a perpetually-bustling center of commerce, government, and intrigue. With ever-changing politics, loyalties, and landscape, it attracts the lost and wandering with hopes of a new start and purpose. Those in the know, however, go to Hospitaller Point.

As usual, the tavern of Hospitaller Point is bustling with nobility, dignitaries, commoners, laborers, and just enough folks from all over to keep a rather eclectic group of 11 from seeming entirely out of place. The smell of wood, fire, mead, and life circulates fresh with every entry and exit, and the din of conversation is just loud enough to ensure privacy. Would-be mercenaries and adventurers check the Hunter's Board for posted requests while backroom deals are made in plain sight. Through connections, contacts, and happenstance, word has reached these wanderers, roamers, and lost of a noble, deposed of his lands, usurped of his title, and in search of a band of walking vengeance. Still other rumors churn of missing mining crews in the Dwarven mines of Bortevo, of border skirmishes between the two Elven nations of Eppi, and of a well-to-do merchant in Parolit seeking a...missing dog? Surely there are more happenings that can be found - one only needs to search!

The world is now yours to do with as you will! What will happen in Eden's Seed? It's up to you!

Rhyos fucked around with this message at Jun 10, 2017 around 08:30

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I've earned my fee. Ta-ta!

Iggy

The elf furrowed her brow as she studied the Hunter's Board. Whatever Caitlyn was inclined to do, they would need funds for it. Iggy herself hadn't had two coins to rub together in months. The tale she had heard, of a well to-do merchant and his errant pet had caught her interest. A simple enough task that was only inconvenient due to having to travel to Parolit. Silk swaddled upper-crust sorts were notoriously doting. Finding the dog could mean an entirely disproportionate payday. She'd have to discuss the matter with her niece.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010


Viktor Wlazdek

"A dog?" Viktor curls his lip. "What a waste of the sheer talent in this room to expend your time finding a dog. I have another, nobler crusade for all of you. As you may know, my father was the Baron of Lezko. After he died, under suspicious circumstances, my evil uncle stole my barony from me, and I have been in exile and penury ever since. Help me get my barony back, for the sake of justice! Of course, if you are motivated by baser motives, well, I would gladly reward any who helped me succeed."

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Dr. Hyrgan Thornthwaite

The halfling shakes his head. "Mister Wlazdek, baronies, duchies and other noble houses fall all the time. Why, I myself was involved with one in Parolit afore it fell, thus thrusting me into this life of the grand unknown. Such is the nature of the game, as you would call it. We are adventurers, not an army. Such a task might be better suited to you once you have acquired some capital, and are thus able to raise forces against your 'evil' uncle of your own. But I, for one, have no intention of falling back into the backstabbing, conniving mess that is politics." Hyrgan shakes his finger, then tries to get the attention of a waitress - but his small stature means he's easily lost in the crowd. "Can somebody get us a drink?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010


Viktor Wlazdek

Viktor orders drinks for the rest of the party, and then looks at the halfling, smiling. "In truth, I am in more need of adventurers than an army, for my uncle did not take my position through force of arms, but through treachery. I could gather funds, hire mercenaries, and perhaps defeat him in battle, but then I would be seen as no true Baron, but an usurper, falsely taking a seat that is not mine. What I need is not military victory, but proof of his treachery. If I can uncover his plot and prove that I was forced out unfairly, then soldiers will flock to my banner, and the Barony's neighbors will recognize me as rightful Baron. A small group might serve better than a large army for that. It is stealth and cleverness we need, not mere strength of arms."

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Hunter's Board - A Missing Dog!

An astute eye would tell that this request is scrawled on some of the finest parchment. A sensitive nose would smell the acrid scent of magical reagents. A linguist... would have trouble deciphering what is written in colored wax.

"HELO HUNTARS I AM MISSENG A DOG HE IS A FUNNY DOG AND A GOOD DOG
HIS NAME IS WOFLINGTON VI IIV THE FORF AND HE WENT TO MARKAT
AND DID NOT COME HOME PLEZ HELP

ARN GRIZSTOFFL
AGE 306

PS HEER IS A DRAUIN OF WOOOFLINTN"


Were it not for the parchment and magical glint, this would seem like a complete and total joke.

Rhyos fucked around with this message at Jun 10, 2017 around 21:58

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Joyce Johnston

Joyce takes a look at the various requests, along with listening to not-so-Baron Viktor's story. She enters a thoughtful expression, and, after about a solid minute of just pondering silently, chimes in with her thoughts on the matter. "Well, I reckon takin' a side in a war or bein' someone's revenge squad ain't the right thing ta be doin', so I'm goin' fer either findin' this missin' puppy or checkin' out th' mines. Sorry Mister Viktor, but 'til I hear the other side's story, I'm bound b'my honor ta stay impartial on those kinda disputes." She shrugs and eyes her drink, swirling it around, and contemplating whether or not to drink it. With a sigh, she slides it back and requests it be replaced with some cold water. "That bein' said, the mines ain't goin' nowhere, but the puppy ain't gonna stop movin', so that's pushin' this 'ere job further up th'chain."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Nero

Nero also stares at the job board, carefully reading each and weighing the likelihood of danger on each, and how vital each may potentially be. He only vaguely pays attention to Viktor's claims. Eventually he does speak up. "The puppy mission is suspicious. Highly suspicious. Could be a child, with a touch of magic, or a powerful spellcaster addled into near childlike mental conditions. And who knows what this puppy really will be. It could be a dangerous monster. In which case it should be dealt with."

He glances toward Joyce. "As for the mines. It is true that they are not going anywhere. However it is possible they have been overrun by monsters. And the miners could still be alive, but perhaps not for much longer. There is a potential for this to be the mission with the shortest time limit. Just something to think about."

He glances toward Viktor. "I can understand your desire to regain your birthright. Yet there is not proof that revealing your uncles so called treachery would change anything. His people may choose to still side with him, his neighbors may choose to side with him, a known quantity, rather than the unknown child claiming to have been wronged. Furthermore why do you think your uncle is stupid enough to retain any proof of his wrongdoing? Is your uncle an idiot? Yet he was able to get one over on you?"

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013


Drumlin

"Furthermore," Drumlin pipes up, "dramatic tradition mandates that you spend some time adventuring to earn riches and fame before you return to reclaim your birthright. I mean, you're a storyteller, surely you appreciate this. When the time is right, fate will guide us to vindication. For now, I think we should find this dog, if for no other reason than my piqued curiosity." And I'd rather stay away from Bertovo, he adds inwardly.

Drumlin sniffs the paper. "Doctor," he says to Thornthwaithe, "you're the expert on chemicals. Do these scents tell you anything? And does the name ring any bells for anyone?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I've earned my fee. Ta-ta!

Iggy

Iggy stepped back, removing herself from the immediate group. Her ears twitched back and forth, listening to the conversation and watching in fascination, a pleasant smile on her face. It had been ages since she had been around so many people at once and it was curiously fun to watch how they acted and reacted in their own ways. Everyone had valid enough arguments for what to do so far. It would be interesting to see which one would fully assert themselves and take charge. The nobleman seemed a likely choice, but many folk were of a mind to gleefully gainsay the highborn whenever possible just on principle. Nero, perhaps? The shadow did lack somewhat for physical presence, but he seemed to have a calculating mind and a clever tongue. The lady knight was also certainly in the running. From what little Iggy could gather (her dialect was certainly a dead giveaway), she had her feet firmly planted on the earth, in many ways. And while grand dreams are wonderful things, it never hurts to have a leader with some gravity and grounding.

She flicked her eyes towards Caitlyn, curious to see if her grand-niece had any input. She harbored no ill will to anyone here, and she was on friendly terms with Lau and Nero. But in the end it was blood that she would follow.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Dr. Hyrgan Thornthwaite

The alchemist pulls out a small vial from one of his many pockets, dripping a small amount of clear liquid on the note, watching and smelling as the reaction takes place. "Hmmm...Interesting, interesting..." he mutters to himself as he investigates the note to determine the source of the residue.

Craft (Alchemy) to identify the reagents at 1d20+11=22

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Hunter's Board - A Missing Dog!

With an effervescent blue glimmer, the good Doctor's testing solution wafts a light, acrid scent, enough for the trained nose of the alchemist to detect mandragora root. It's hard to tell from scent alone, but the depth of the blue coloration indicates that it's of a rather exceptional quality, even from the trace amounts present.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat


Caitlyn Merriweather Charming

Caitlyn watches Hyrgan work, her eyes narrow as the solution changes color, then she sighs and stretches to her full height, looking at her companions.

"Interesting, but I believe I must agree with Nero. The miners are the more urgent concern. The dwarves are a hardy people, they would not have advertised outside their shieldhalls if it was a minor matter. They must be desperate. We should assist them. No matter how puzzling the mystery of the dog seems, the miners need our help. Does anyone know any dwarven? I'll admit I can recognize it but I'm not much when it comes to speaking it. The lack of a beard, my linguistics professor said, makes me sound like a small child sounding out her letters"

She grimaces.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Hunter's Board - Missing Miners

If the other notice was scrawled from a child's hand, this one has been drafted with the precision of an architect. Immaculate block lettering on a sheared length of drafting paper details the request.

"To whom it may concern,
The Bortevo Mining Coalition is enlisting external assistance in the search for 3 teams of missing miners.
These teams have been missing for over 1 week, and search parties have found no trace.
There are a total of 15 missing dwarves, and the Coalition is offering the following rewards:
150gp/head for each living miner
100gp/head for each body retrieved
75% salvage rights on any goods and materials discovered.
Seek Zevlin of the Hollow Mount for further information."

Right to the point, but it does beg a few questions.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Thal

Two weeks out from his... awakening, Thal had deemed it necessary to leave the two youths - Michael and Sam, he had learned, after they'd escaped the cavern and gotten a safe distance from the fierce wolf - mostly because the pair's parents, though generous folk, had grown tired of playing host to the strange android. So, with many thanks and a promise to return one day and tell the pair a great tale of adventure, Thal - and he thought of himself as that name, now, given that he didn't even know what THAL-1N1M meant - had headed into the city, searching for a purpose (or at least, someone who might recognize him). Luckily, it had turned out that the few metal coins he'd found at the bottom of his satchel (a satchel that seemed to defy the limits of it's size, no less) had been worth enough of the local ceramic coins that he had managed to stay in this inn for a few days, watching the local adventurers.

--

Peering at the board, the awkward wiry man, Thal, studied the new tasks upon the board - calls for aid and adventure! - and listened as the group of adventurers nearby argued as to what task they would undertake. Dwarves! The lady with the pointed ears had mentioned dwarves, and Michael had been sure that where there were dwarves, there were gnomes, and if anyone could help Thal, it would be gnomes.

Speaking up, Thal asked, "Are there gnomes in Bortevo? Michael said to find the gnomes."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Joyce Johnston

"Hm...Well, considerin' all the points y'all are makin', the case really does seem ta be in favor o'the mines. O'course, th'mines are a whole lot further'n the market. If y'all are sayin' th'folks there are in as much danger as ya say they are, then I ain't gonna accept a walkin' pace. I can tell just by lookin' at ya that you ain't gonna be able ta keep up with me on foot while I'm on horseback, so iffin' we're goin' to the mines, y'all had better find yerselves a mount or a stagecoach." She stands firm on this stance, crossing her lightly-armored arms and looking expectantly at the others, testing to see if they really have their heart in it.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Nero

Nero continues staring at the notices as he responds to Joyce. "This is true. The distance is an issue. Transportation can be acquired. You are quite right." He turns to face her. "The dwarves are a hearty people but even they could be in danger after a week lost, adding another week could very well be disastrous."

He begins to head away from the notice board, continuing. "Come along now. Mere transport will not be enough if we need to transport dwarves, or any salvaged goods. We will need a cart or wagon."

And with that he heads to the market in search of a wainwright, cartwright, or other provider of horses and wagons.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at Jun 12, 2017 around 17:59

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Dr. Hyrgan Thornthwaite

Hyrgan hands the note - now slightly stained - back to Iggy, should she choose to find the dog anyway. "Gnomes, you say? I knew a few gnomes, in my time as a house alchemist. Are you looking for any gnome in particular, friend?" Nero begins to walk off in search of a cart. "Oh! I say, sir, slow down! I might be fit of heart, but these legs are small! Come along, folks. Let's find us a wagon." The halfling hurries a little to catch up.

Wahad fucked around with this message at Jun 12, 2017 around 21:44

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013


Drumlin

"Oh dear," Drumlin sighs, both at the prospect of going to Bortevo, and at having to hurry his pace to keep up with the vertically privileged.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016


Lau D'Arc

"Gnomes?" The Half-breed mutters to himself, as he turns away from the board to follow Nero and Hyrgan. "A cart and horses or oxen it is, then. If the miners have already been missing a week I'm unsure how many will be amongst the living, still, but it's at least worth giving the worried some peace of mind." The Plate wearing man shrugs, clipping his helm to his belt for the time being, preferring a wide-brimmed hat for traveling. "The scavenger's fee seems of interest, too. Seventy-five percent seems quite steep, to me."

He then heads out, after Nero and Hyrgan, though he pauses to look at the others, noting one or two more familiar faces. "I assume you all shall be traveling with us?" He pauses, chuckling. "If so, we're going to need a rather large cart." He then heads off to find a cart and wagon, as well.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

EY4794 - The City-State of Landale - Market Square


With Nero's suggestion and Joyce's insistence as close to a sound decision as had been made yet, the party gathers before venturing forth. As the group leaves Hospitaller Point, a short jaunt through some side streets leads to the always-crowded Market Square of Landale. Vendors from the nations of Eden's Seed have come from far and wide not only to ply their wares, but to make lasting trade deals between companies, suppliers, refiners, and governments. As many in Parolit might mention, one good deal can yield a lifetime of returns. Scents of foods both known and undiscovered waft over woodsmoke, animals, people, and myriad others. Voices of all pitches, speaking in all dialects provide a background din of conversation, pierced by the clanging of hammers, and the occasional bleat. With a market of this size, it won't take long to find something you might be looking for - Finding it in decent shape, however, is another matter.

Unless you guys have something more specialized, let's get some Gather Information checks. I'll also accept some Spot/Perception checks for some specialty/hidden things. You can also use your craft/profession/knowledge skills to shop around, if you'd like.

Rhyos fucked around with this message at Jun 12, 2017 around 19:51

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Check yourself. You're on fire

Orvald von Faelyn

Leaving the inn behind the group, Orvald followed them to the market.

"I'd offer you my cart, but unfortunately I had to leave it behind back in Camineet after some" the tall man flitted his eyes sideways towards Joyce,"... unfortunate circumstances that made me leave quite a bit behind. Still, the market should give us something that we need."

As the ever-growing fellowship strode into the marketplace, Orvald kept an eye out- particularly for that dog. The elf was right, it was an easy job and they were in the area anyway, might as well look for it. Additionally, he kept his ears out for interesting details, after all- information was always worth coin, and interesting information more.

Looking around the marketplace: 1d20+9 29

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

EY4794 - The City-State of Landale - Market Square - Safe Seth's Saddlery



As the remainder of the party totters their way through the confusing cacophony of the Market Square, Orvald has a stroke of incredible luck. Be it his roguish charm or exceptional hearing, he not only winds up receiving a suggestion for the place the locals use - the oddly-named Safe Seth's Saddlery - but also happens to hear another would-be adventurer on their exploits, attempting to gain some information on the missing dog.

"Arn Grizstoffl? Yeah, he got thrown out of Landale ages ago - heard he shacked up in Parolit. Damnedest thing I ever saw. An amazing wizard, but the only one I've seen who's ever gotten 2 spells mixed up and managed to get it cast. Let me tell you, it wasn't pretty. Why, it reminds me of the time I-"

As the poor sap settles in for what surely would be a long story, the party slowly coalesces on Orvald's location, down on their luck. Joyce is last to arrive, a little flustered as she manages to just lose an angered shopkeep. Thunderstruck looks just a little guilty.

A quick perusal of the signage and tack in the area indicates that this particular shopkeep can handle most of the party's travel needs, and at a decent price, too.



"Afternoon! Gearing up for the long haul, are 'ya? Well, I won't be beat by anyone here! Custom fixin's for custom hitchin's!" Clearing his throat, he introduces himself. "I'm Seth, the proprietor of this fine establishment! How can I help?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010


Viktor Wlazdek

Viktor smiles at the salesman. "Yes, my good man! We are in need of a wagon and beasts to pull it. Something in good shape, but not too dear. What have you got in the wagons and beasts of burden categories?"

Diplomacy Roll: 1d20+9 19

Epicurius fucked around with this message at Jun 13, 2017 around 03:22

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

EY4794 - The City-State of Landale - Market Square - Safe Seth's Saddlery



"Well, I've got big wagons, little wagons, carts, crates, oxen, horses, saddles, bindles, tack, tongue, and pretty much any other necessity for hauling cargo across these long, lonely roads!" Crossing his arms for a moment, he sizes up the group. "You look like you're goin' places - I mean, you wouldn't be here if you weren't going places, but I mean in the bigger sense! Tell you what, I'll cut you a deal so long as you keep me in mind when you hit a bit 'o greatness, eh?"

Flipping through a notebook, he scritches through a few spots, scratches a few others, and drafts up a proposal.
"Gonna be kinda tough to fit all of you in a single wagon. If'n you don't mind taking turns riding, I've got a few options."

Pointing his pencil at the mounted lady and wiggling it toward the halfling, he begins. "Looks like the two of you could fit on one horse if you're strapped for saddles." Squinting toward Nero, he tilts his head. "Can't quite get a good look at you - might just be hayfever - but you don't appear to weigh all that much..." Glancing at the elvey-types, he continues. "Neither do either one of you. It might be a tight fit, but I can get you a heavy wagon that could haul about 2 tons, or about 8 of you if you squeezed in nice and tight, and a team of haulers for about 300, free and clear. That's at my cost, friends! Won't be the fastest, but they'll be the most determined 'lil bastards you'll find around here. If'n you wanted something a little faster, I could get some sturdy heavy-hosses for 500. With the barding and everything, I'm taking a loss!"

Glancing from side to side, he leans in. "Though if you want something really special, I've got some travelling horses going for 175 a head. You won't find these just anywhere, you know - my folks have been special-breeding this gait for generations. Comfortable, sustainable ride, less exhaustion for everyone involved, and so easy to ride, even your dwarven fellow there can handle it! They're faster than an ox team, slower than a full gallop, but they can go for hours without rest - I'd say here to the eastern edge of Camineet in 4 days or so!"

Lots of options, but is there enough money to go around?

Rhyos fucked around with this message at Jun 13, 2017 around 04:07

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Nero

Nero begins looking over the man's wares. Inspecting horses and wagons, cart and oxen. All while listening to the man. Eventually he speaks. "How many of these travelling horses does it take to move the heavy wagon? It was 300 for the heavy wagon and a team of haulers, what is the heavy wagon without the haulers? If we were to take the travelling horses."

He tries to judge the man's intent, but he was never the best judge of men's hearts.


Sense Motive 14

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

EY4794 - The City-State of Landale - Market Square - Safe Seth's Saddlery



Seth tilts his head in as much of an approximation of a no as someone who hates saying no can say no. "The travelling horses are really meant more for an individual rider, not for haulin' a load. Different muscle groups and all that. For individual travelers, they're great! Wagon would be 100, 4 oxen would be 200. Travellin' horses would be 175 a head. If you've gotta go fast, I'd suggest the package deal with the heavier horses - 500 on that one."

He seems to genuinely want to help, and if Joyce's knowledge of animal handling is any indication, he's legitimately taking a loss in his attempts to do so.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Nero

Nero looks at the man for a bit. "I see. On the one hand speed would be rather nice, but I believe we will need a wagon for transport all the same. It would probably be the best for to go for the wagon and heavy horses. Oh and we will need feed for the horses."

He then begins pulling bags of gp out of shadows about his person.

Okay unless anyone else wants to contribute I am spending 500gp on the wagon and heavy horses and I guess ?? amount on some feed for them.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013


Drumlin

"I'll pitch in for the cost," Drumlin says and produces a loop of fine leather string holding a gold locket, flanked by two multi-coloured beads, and presents it with a flourish to the shopkeeper. "My own work, you can see my trademark right there. That's real Bertovo gold and a pair of the finest agate. One of my finer pieces, I'll dare to allow myself to say. A gift for your lady or your purse, just don't let anyone offer you less than 90 guild pieces for the set."

Pitching in a gold necklace worth 50gp and two agates worth 20 each. Diplomacy 25 in case he needs convincing to accept jewelry in place of hard cash.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

EY4794 - The City-State of Landale - Market Square - Safe Seth's Saddlery



With a low whistle, Seth looks over the proffered cash and trade. "You sure you're willing to part with this? It'll certainly save me a trip to the jeweler's later, and at a drat sight better cost..." Adding everything up, he smiles. "Tell you what, I'll throw in a week's feed for the pack, on the house." Waving the party to his sales patch, he brags a bit as he sets about arranging everything. "Four of my finest!" Coming up to a group of heavy horses, he gives each of them a pat on the flank as he proceeds. "Hans, Chip, High-Step, and Gregory'll serve you fine folk quite well!"

It takes close to an hour or so to get everything arranged, but true to his word, he's assembled a horse-drawn cart fit for tons with all of the barding, tack, and feed needed for a week's journey. Scrawling out a receipt for the transaction, he hands it over to Nero, the one who ponied up the most cash. "If anything breaks due to craftsmanship problems, just let me know - I take care of my customers! Safe travels out there!"



There is now a partywagon. Don't die of dysentery out there!

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat


Caitlyn Merriweather Charming

Caitlyn jumps up on the wagon seat happily, her eyes on the road. Once she finds a spot to her liking, she brands her mark on it (with arcane mark), taps the awning behind her to deposit a small bit of light and sits down.

"This brings back memories. I feel young again. Now let's see about this trip. If I remember right, we're going to be on the road for a few days, might as well get started. Sooner begun, quicker done."


code:
Knowledge(arcana, dung, local, nature, planes, religion): +5 
Perception(darkvision 60, LLV 120): +3
Prof(Merchant): +2
Initiative: +3
HP: 26/26
AC: 18, T: 13, FF: 15 (+5 armor, +3 dex)
Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +3; +1 vs illusion.  +2 vs necromancy and curse

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Thal

Thal stares into the one of the horses' eyes, studying the creature, before nodding and saying quietly to the horse, "I know, Gregory. Don't worry, I'll protect you if anything comes out of the entrance."

((Beep, boop, recognition roll: d20 = 16))

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at Jun 13, 2017 around 21:25

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I've earned my fee. Ta-ta!

Iggy

Iggy had hidden behind the group as they negotiated with Seth. Haggling was never her strong point, and he was an unfamiliar gentleman. He certainly seemed nice enough but when was shyness ever rational? Yet as they loaded the wagon up and prepared to set out, she hesitated. Iggy approached the man and gave him a deep bow from the waist.

"Thank-you-very-much-sir." Before he could reply, Iggy darted off back to the group, putting the wagon between her and the gentleman. Social niceties were still tricky to remember, but she was glad she managed that much. But no sense overdoing it.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Dr. Hyrgan Thornthwaite

Hyrgan rejoins the group when they have purchased a means of travel. "Ah! Already? Excellent, my dear fellows, excellent. Let us be under way!" He'd wandered off during negotiations to look for other things of interest, but had found little. "Allow me to contribute to our party's means of travel. Here you go, friend." The halfling hands a small amount of money to Nero, whom he spots holding the receipt.

Pitching in 100gp for the wagon.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

EY4794 - On the Open Road - Landale to Bortevo



With a group of this size, it takes some time to get everyone situated, stowed, and ready for the 2-day haul to Bortevo. Fortunately, the trip doesn't seem to be outright perilous - the road to Bortevo is a paved thoroughfare, as many goods and materials are moved back and forth between the two locales. As Joyce takes point, the team sets in motion as thoughts begin to stir. What will they find when they reach the Hollow Mount? Is everyone ok? Trapped? Dead? Worse? For such a large portion of salvage rights, there had to be some danger involved. The Bortevan dwarves weren't pushovers, by any means. Most of the trouble that would come from there are often dealt with by the citizenry themselves - mining is a dangerous occupation already, and with stories of monsters and other creatures in the mines, the people were no strangers to combat. Still, until boots were on the ground, everything would be mere speculation. Minds do tend to wander on the road, and with 2 days of travel, there would certainly be wandering. The air is clear, the sky is blue, and the destination is just a few degrees above the horizon.

??? = 18

The first day's travel goes by without a negative effect. Feel free to toss some road chatter and checks for random activities - there are interesting things to be discovered with the right checks!

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!


Joyce Johnston

This was the life for Joyce: fresh air, a well-paved road, an eye in the sky, her best friend practically glued to her bottom, and a charge to protect. There was a smile on her face as she chimed in. "How're y'all holdin' up? I know y'all city folk ain't used ta ridin' around, but this here road's flatter'n a fritter, so the trip should be plenty smooth. An' don't worry 'bout us runnin' inta anything. I told ol' Whisper up there," she says as she points to the sky, where her hawk is flying about, "ta keep an eye out fer anythin' what looks like a monster."

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013


Drumlin

"I'm no stranger to travel," Drumlin replies, reclining as best he can in the bouncing wagon. Harold the thrush peeks out from under his beard briefly before hiding again. "I once spent three days stowed away in the bottom of a smuggler's wagon during the rainy season. Weeks later, I was still finding mud in places I didn't even know I had."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I've earned my fee. Ta-ta!

Iggy

Back on the road. A far more familiar and essentially comfortable place for Iggy. The noise and bustle of civilization still unnerved her, and the quiet animal noises and soft breeze let her breathe easily once more. As they traveled, Iggy occasionally took her leave to scout their flanks - just to be safe. Bandits or wild beasts were always a possibility and she would ensure her companions got ample warning before anything fell upon them. In any case, it would afford her a chance to do some hunting and help supplement their rations. It seemed money was tight all around, and all the more so after purchasing the horses and wagons. Better to avoid using up the preserved food when possible, lest they have a great need in the future.

A combination of Endurance, Run, Fleet-Footed, and the Running Hunter's Stance should ensure Iggy does not fall behind the group: she's about as fast as a horse, and won't tire nearly as easily.

Survival: 1d20+6 = 21
Iggy can hunt enough to feed herself plus five other people.

Perception: 1d20+6 = 26
Eyes open for ambushes, or just anything out of the ordinary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

On the lonesome, dusty trail

Nat 20 on the perception roll? You know what that means~

As Iggy makes her way back to the wagon, handfuls of mushrooms, roots, and berries in tow, she spots a dull glint out of the corner of her eye.



A small brass box is lying on the ground, hidden from the road by tall grass. If she's able to detect magic, she'd notice a slight magical aura to it. If not, then it's a nice-looking metal box that could fetch a curious price. The box is closed.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«3 »