Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The reason that people stay is that the entire internet is a loving cesspit, and SA is a beacon of 'Eh, not bad'.
This is my 3rd account, I first regged in 07 after several years of lurking.
I'm closer to 40 than 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

shirunei posted:

22. I'm way too young to be anywhere near this dead, gay comedy forum.

You're never too young, just too smart

35mahfuckers

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I'm 21. I registered when I was in high school at some point, I don't remember how I found this place.

I feel like the 18 to 21 crowd is the last demographic that will ever really use forums. Like, I can't imagine being 13 or 14 and signing up to talk on an old-school message board, that has been taken by Reddit and Twitter.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blitz7x posted:

(SA is a haven for mid-late 20-early thirties with some outliers)

i'd say the mean age of a goon is in the low mid thirties with more outliers on the higher range than the lower range. SA got started by pulling in a lot of folks from the first person shooter community which tended younger but people quickly found their way here for other reasons. i found SA through portal of evil. probably the biggest influx of younger users was when BTB and the other file forums were active around 2003 or so

Peachfart posted:

The reason that people stay is that the entire internet is a loving cesspit, and SA is a beacon of 'Eh, not bad'.

there's been a ton of attrition over the years from people breaking out into offsite communities or simply not posting anymore. d&d especially has had a number of them. big political shifts in d&d are always the result of either an american election or a posting clique leaving for the offworld colonies

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 13, 2017

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I'm 23. Occasionally lurked when I was a kid, got an account so I could read unarchived LPs, eventually realized there was an occasionally tolerable lefty politics forum. I would have assumed an average age of mid to late twenties.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

its weird because in 2008 I felt really young and not internet cool enough to post. But it turns out many of you were early 20s/late teens even in 2008!? Maybe I'm getting old but I feel like every year on the internet was longer back then. The difference between 2008 and 2009 in terms of reddit etc was huge. now? I can't tell!

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

boner confessor posted:

there's been a ton of attrition over the years from people breaking out into offsite communities or simply not posting anymore. d&d especially has had a number of them. big political shifts in d&d are always the result of either an american election or a posting clique leaving for the offworld colonies
I only ever tangentially paid attention to the offsite drama because I have a hard enough time keeping up with the onsite drama, but I do want to know more about election splits because I never realised it until just now.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Peachfart posted:

This is my 3rd account, I first regged in 07 after several years of lurking.
I'm closer to 40 than 30.

same, except :regd08:

birds
Jun 28, 2008

24. Which would have made me 15 when I joined? Sorry everyone. Joined because I thought the thread where the goon lit the hive of bees on fire was cool.

Jesus I just realized I'm almost at 10 years.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
Came because a friend recommended. Stayed because I like killing time by shouting at strangers on the internet.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

TeriZCa8!a posted:

Nope. First, I'm thrilled Prester Jane responded because I read aloud her analysis of Trump early on to my mom because I thought it was so spot on, and I am learning that instead of 20 something's it's 30 something's (So far, admit it is in no way scientific ) but the fact that it seems to be that age group explains alot of the cartoons/memes that I just don't get. Anyway, cool to hear when people came AND WHAT MADE THEM STAY.

I am 28. I like the format of forums and reading discussions with so many people and topics is really enjoyable to me. I dont get a lot of the references either though.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 13, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hambilderberglar posted:

I only ever tangentially paid attention to the offsite drama because I have a hard enough time keeping up with the onsite drama, but I do want to know more about election splits because I never realised it until just now.

basically people post a bunch in during election season and it can get real heated then when the results come in people take a break or quit the forums and things get realigned. d&d didn't really exist in 2000, 2004 was a big one that shook d&d more left (there used to be an actual core group of republicans that posted here back when the iraq war was kicking off), 2008 meant that a bunch of obamailures chased off a neighborhood watch list's worth of libertarians, and 2012 was pretty calm. 2016 was nuts because of the mass toxx bans and a bunch of d&d regulars preferring the more relaxed style of cspam

John T Scrungus
Oct 23, 2010

:confused:
I'm only 23. I think I joined for some GBS thread that was funny when I was 16.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

TeriZCa8!a posted:

Nope. First, I'm thrilled Prester Jane responded because I read aloud her analysis of Trump early on to my mom because I thought it was so spot on, and I am learning that instead of 20 something's it's 30 something's (So far, admit it is in no way scientific ) but the fact that it seems to be that age group explains alot of the cartoons/memes that I just don't get. Anyway, cool to hear when people came AND WHAT MADE THEM STAY.

Prester Jane (on meds) is a far better poster than we deserve.

Incidentally, did you, by any chance, accidentally put your password where your username should be when you registered this account?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

boner confessor posted:

Offsites have a tendency to be very focused on whatever posting style or philosophy that was the reason for leaving. SA at least has decent moderation and many interesting(and crazy) personalities.
Though far fewer than 10 years ago. :(

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

Garrand posted:

I think the overall age of posters is increasing because most of the people who are sticking around have been here for many years but new blood still comes in from time to time. Or the occasional poster who started here near the beginning but were like 12 at the time.

Years ago there was some big poll that determined the average age of posters to be around 19 or so. I was 19 then, too. Now I'm 34. So, yeah. D&D has always seemed to skew a bit higher than the rest of the forums, so I feel comfortable lurking amongst the other stodgy old fucks here. I do miss when there was a greater span of political opinions represented here but not enough to want to deal with the level of shitposting that often included.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Prester Jane (on meds) is a far better poster than we deserve.

Incidentally, did you, by any chance, accidentally put your password where your username should be when you registered this account?

Yup, I'm a cavewoman when it comes to technology. But oh well if I try to change it I could screw it up. I've already reregged twice due to losing passwords....
It's pronounced terry-kah-zah....lol

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I remember reading SA in like 2000 with the jeffk and thinking of how edgy it was when The Onion was too PC. I occasionally checked the forums for years before finally registering and posting. You can probably do a pretty good job guessing how old I am from that.

It's kind of funny to see all the rehashed comedy goldmines about lol vigrin SEX HAVer etc etc all fell away now that the average forum poster is like 35 and has children. Except FYAD which ???? if anyone there is older than like 20, I imagine they must have some sort of mental disorder.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

26 years old. I'm old enough to remember seeing stuff coming out of early SA and not being able to join because I didn't have access to a credit/debit card.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

I miss the prodomal schizophrenia of LF.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Old enough that my girlfriend keeps finding grey hairs and no matter how much I tell her to stop she won't stop pointing them out.

:smith:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'll add that the turning point for me actually joining SA was reading LF at just the right point in my teenage years to go full commie. Its really sad to think that today's kids are getting their memes from internet fascists instead of gay Maoists.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Mantis42 posted:

I'll add that the turning point for me actually joining SA was reading LF at just the right point in my teenage years to go full commie. Its really sad to think that today's kids are getting their memes from internet fascists instead of gay Maoists.

Fortunately, we have tumblr

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Jesus old LF was good. There'll never be posting like that again friends.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

As somebody who missed it, what made the posting good? Perhaps I need to dig through the archives.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

this is a shockingly succinct summary of the evolution of my political views

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

I came to watch an LP of Psychonauts back in '08.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Lampsacus posted:

As somebody who missed it, what made the posting good? Perhaps I need to dig through the archives.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3061381

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2936192

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2949506

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2962175

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3099961

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3212733&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

29, been reading since 2003 because of games, first subbed in 08 for LF

Similar but I'm ten years older than you. I was introduced to SA because to read (to my eternal shame) Fark. There was once upon a time a SA vs Fark photoshop contest judged by Wil Wheaton. I lurked the forums until I finally registered for LF.

I've been posting in some flavor going back to BBSs in the late 80s. My first internet experience was finding USENET through a portal at the local university library. I used to sneak out at night to go to the university computer lab and read usenet and play MUDs.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 14, 2017

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

this is a shockingly succinct summary of the evolution of my political views

:same:

Lampsacus posted:

LF was 95% lovely white noise posting that was just repeating the same catchphrases, lots of people catching early onset irony poisoning but there was genuinely some of the funniest poo poo I've seen on this website there, too.

Obama The First 100 Days, Let's Play Victoria (serbia), the groverhaus saga, that thread posting security clearance comments come to mind. A lot of the stuff FSAD posted.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 14, 2017

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
LF at its best was a magical combination of political discussion and madcap nuttery, the likes of which I've never seen as frequently elsewhere,

LF at its worst...was something else entirely.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Lampsacus posted:

this sounds so fuckin weird to say because it's a topic that is kinda obnoxious to talk about and is also maybe overly praising of SA in the way people fawn about groundlings and second city in relation to comedians--but like, the whole "weird twitter" or "funny twitter" or just general shitposting (no caps, little punctuation, "hell, same", "cool and good" etc etc etc) style came from a combo of LF and FYAD

FYAD/LF will probably literally wind up in anthropology textbooks someday

oh and also the FBI talked to lowtax a few times because of LF

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Ogmius815 posted:

Jesus old LF was good. There'll never be posting like that again friends.

Yes. I read LF religiously, and the high point where it was a terrible balance of effort threads on history and political theory and poo poo posting and real political activism and fake assassination plots cannot be described. You had to be there.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

shirunei posted:

22. I'm way too young to be anywhere near this dead, gay comedy forum.

:hf: fellow '95/'94 goon

my introduction to this wretched place was as a pre-pubescent kid in a World of Warcraft guild where most of the members were goons

RIP LF, the dozens of aborted MMO subforums, vilerat (god should have taken caro in his stead)

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 15, 2017

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan
I'm 28, but I got that Benjamin Button disease so I look like I'm 70.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

22 but I lurked for a few years before I could orchestrate the registration of an account. This website fundamentally influenced my becoming a person

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I assume everyone here is half my age but still old enough to gently caress legally, so that should give you some indication.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Mid 30's, been shitposting since 2001 or 2 I think, this is a different account, because I got banned. For being a lovely poster.

I read all the words in DnD, now but I used to argue in here for months in end.

Oof. I just realised I've been gooning it up here for 1/3 of my life. I don't know how I feel about this.

Oh well. It's better than reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

ONLY A COUPLE MORE MONTHS TILL THE END OF MY LIFE WOOOOOOO

This me too

• Locked thread