Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Junkfist posted:

For real though how are some of your brains so bad?

I played Life is Strange for all the Tumblr garbo and cringe-lines written for teenage girls by Frenchmen in their 40s. It was great.

You should hope it's more terrible than you can imagine and you have to hack GYNOCORP to disable estrofields and rally the meninist underground or some poo poo but instead you're acting like a little pixel game is going to ruin your life lol.

I'm betting the game itself will be mediocre at best. I'm also betting the messaging will be convoluted and contrived and mostly muddled and confused.

Like, for all I've seen of the dude I'm pretty confident that his ability to effectively communicate his message via video game will be about on par with the debating skills of the average E3 thread poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can someone tell me what all the bitching is about? From what I understand the dev of The Last Night has some lovely views and he shoved them into his game?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
VR doesn't seem to be taking off at all

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

Can someone tell me what all the bitching is about? From what I understand the dev of The Last Night has some lovely views and he shoved them into his game?

Yep!

Edit: VR is still in early adopter territory, it's just that certain Silicon Valley idiots wanted to convince themselves and everyone else that it didn't need to go through the early adopter stage and could cut straight to mainstream which is dumb. Valve has had a healthier outlook, but pretty much everyone else hasn't.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/nonplayercat/status/874287274401333248

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only good esportt is playing old school fighting games on the arcade, not the screaming fat gently caress bullshit that MS pulled yesterday

HEY THIS IS THE OFFICIAL SCREAMING BEARDED IDIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS

oh and this thing cost 499 dollars

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ooblets confirmed to be an eSports title

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

they're really trying to continue pushing it hard

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

s.i.r.e. posted:

Essentially timetravellers from the future have come back to warn us that a pixel indie game on Steam will lead to people electing a literal clone of Hitler.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kashuno posted:

It's getting better as time goes on, Star Trek Bridge Crew has been fantastic and there's a few titles here and there that if you can afford it, make it a fun investment.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Doorknob Slobber posted:

they're really trying to continue pushing it hard

I know a few people who got some form of VR (Vive/Rift/PSVR) and were hyped as gently caress when they bought it and I've heard nothing about it from them or anyone else except big companies since.

Taintrunner posted:

It's getting better as time goes on, Star Trek Bridge Crew has been fantastic and there's a few titles here and there that if you can afford it, make it a fun investment.

Bridge Crew seems fun, but it's just so hard to justify to the mass market WHY they should invest in VR (Because there is no reason to)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's a hard sell because you need people to basically experience it first-hand before they can even think about buying it, and also ain't no one got cash for that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DoctorGonzo posted:

The only good esportt is playing old school fighting games on the arcade, not the screaming fat gently caress bullshit that MS pulled yesterday

I don't even know what that game even was.

My favorite esports thing I've seen was a Halo 4 tournament a few years back. It's Halo esports so it was like two maps and only three or four guns were used; the pistol, the dmr, the concussion rifle, somehow, and the sniper rifle. For some reason they kept displaying stats about the fake space guns on half the screen so you got to know which space company made the space pistol in which space shipyard and the rate of fire of the concussion rifle. Except again it was four weapons and as luck had it it just kept switching between the pistol and the alien gun.

That lasted four hours based on my skimming of the recording.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordja posted:

Essentially timetravellers from the future have come back to warn us that a pixel indie game on Steam will lead to people electing a literal clone of Hitler.

hopefully you are right

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't even know what that game even was.

it wasnt overwatch? the one who died or paladins?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

mutata posted:

Yep!

Edit: VR is still in early adopter territory, it's just that certain Silicon Valley idiots wanted to convince themselves and everyone else that it didn't need to go through the early adopter stage and could cut straight to mainstream which is dumb. Valve has had a healthier outlook, but pretty much everyone else hasn't.

It seems kind of telling that MS's next big platform will explicitly not support VR, and a former Oculus exclusive (Lucky's Tale) has a sequel coming out for traditional consoles instead.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
A Hitler clone leading American would really only last until he tried to invade Canada in the winter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Junkfist posted:

For real though how are some of your brains so bad?

I played Life is Strange for all the Tumblr garbo and cringe-lines written for teenage girls by Frenchmen in their 40s. It was great.

You should hope it's more terrible than you can imagine and you have to hack GYNOCORP to disable estrofields and rally the meninist underground or some poo poo but instead you're acting like a little pixel game is going to ruin your life lol.

I liked alot of the ideas/story, but i hated chloe, she was a rear end in a top hat and a lovely friend/gf and if i got time powers i wouldnt waste it trying to fix some rear end in a top hat's life.

mutata posted:

I'm betting the game itself will be mediocre at best. I'm also betting the messaging will be convoluted and contrived and mostly muddled and confused.

Like, for all I've seen of the dude I'm pretty confident that his ability to effectively communicate his message via video game will be about on par with the debating skills of the average E3 thread poster.

oh, alt right dudes game is going to suck. its another pretentious platformer with a wacky pixel art style. like alot of indie poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordja posted:

It seems kind of telling that MS's next big platform will explicitly not support VR, and a former Oculus exclusive (Lucky's Tale) has a sequel coming out that uses traditional systems.

Speaking of which, rip in piss kinect

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mordja posted:

Pre-ordered.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saint Freak posted:

It's a hard sell because you need people to basically experience it first-hand before they can even think about buying it, and also ain't no one got cash for that.

Yeah, I was sold on it thanks to a free PSVR demo space that Sony had set up in NYC, opening a car door to lean out and shoot a dude behind me on a moving highway was fantastic. Then I went and bought a Rift. Loved it ever since, I use it a few times a week.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

DoctorGonzo posted:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Kashuno posted:

I was thinking maybe I'll check out the PC show but

No thanks

They're debuting the XCOM 2 expansion on there as well.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think it's much too early to call VR much of anything as it's still working it's way through normal new tech adoption phases. We're only just now starting to get anything above "Wii bargain title" quality for it. PSVR helped definitely, though.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

who is the fridge, why he left, why he returned?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Are we expecting anything interesting/worth watching at the PC show? IIRC XCOM 2 and Tyranny are both getting expansions revealed but that's all I'm aware of.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Kashuno posted:

Not on PC that's for certain

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Mordja posted:

It seems kind of telling that MS's next big platform will explicitly not support VR, and a former Oculus exclusive (Lucky's Tale) has a sequel coming out for traditional consoles instead.

There's a lot going wrong with Microsoft's next big platform. Not every platform needs to support VR for it to gradually find its legs, though. Like I said, it's only Silicon Valley types who only talk in hyperbole about changing the world who promised VR would take over all media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823445

okay let's move over here and i think everyone has already beaten last night to death

• Locked thread