Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Perhaps Microsoft, like most people, doesn't care and wish you'd all take it literally anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrow posted:

I can't wait to see how much the real Anthem looks nothing like what we saw in the gameplay trailer.

To be fair people said the same thing about Horizon Zero Dawn in 2015 and you ended up being able to do basically 100% of what was shown in-game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I'm tentatively excited for Anthem, but I do not dig the gameplay loop of looter shooters and I feel like every game in that genre is missing some key component that makes loot based games fun but I don't know what it is

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grey Fox posted:

I don't think Microsoft did its due diligence on this guy. Period.

Corporations are bad and not as nearly woke as Twitter wants them to be.

Grey Fox posted:

Some people have to hit rock bottom before they can confront thier behavior.

This is the same logic used by Republicans to end drug addiction. It uh... well did y'hear about that opioid crisis? Yeah.

Liberals adopting the rhetoric of the right is never going to accomplish anything.

exquisite tea posted:

To be fair people said the same thing about Horizon Zero Dawn in 2015 and you ended up being able to do basically 100% of what was shown in-game.

The last good Bioware game came out 7 years ago.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Perhaps Microsoft, like most people, doesn't care and wish you'd all take it literally anywhere else.
I guess that's why that Microsoft GM was subtweeting the guy when he vanished for a few hours after posting "1."

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Holding off on any judgement on Anthem because that trailer was pretty much the same as The Division and Destiny and those are kind of slogs. Maybe it'll be different but I'll im picturing is late game Divison enemies where you have to shoot a looter in a beanie 50 times in the head to kill them

There's no way they're going to release this close to Destiny 2 and its tail, that already has an established playerbase

Then again EA did sandwich Titanfall 2 between Battlefield 1 and Infinite Warfare

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Saint Freak posted:

This guy might be onto something

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bad publicity does exist, don't believe the cliche that bad marketers trot out about how any attention is good attention.

Also, I can respect a separation of art and artist philosophy up to the point where the art embodies and upholds the beliefs of the artist at which point the concept falls apart.

Edit: lol I'm SURE Microsoft wishes we'd take it somewhere else but the fact remains that I learned about it on their E3 stage so, um, sorry!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

That's definitely fair. I think I'm just extra skeptical because Anthem has that MMO aspect, a trailer full of classic fake voice chat like The Division's reveal, and, well, it's Bioware.

But you're right. I was absolutely among the "every bit of Horizon gameplay we've seen looks like bullshit and there's no way the game is really like that" people and I was (thankfully) wrong. If Anthem ends up being an actually good third-person shooter Horizon-with-Iron-Man-suits MMO then I'm definitely interested.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Corporations are bad and not as nearly woke as Twitter wants them to be.
Then people don't have to buy their products. It's not hard.

quote:

This is the same logic used by Republicans to end drug addiction. It uh... well did y'hear about that opioid crisis? Yeah.

Liberals adopting the rhetoric of the right is never going to accomplish anything.
Bigotry and drug addiction are the same thing. Okay.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Harrow posted:

I can't wait to see how much the real Anthem looks nothing like what we saw in the gameplay trailer.

I can tell you one thing. If the game have PvP, the particle effects will not be has big has we see in the video. One thing I have learned about FPS games, is that people hate smoke in their competitive games.

Coop and singleplayer games can have "ambient", but people in competitive environments want the arena to be clear and informative, like a sport field.

Also animal interactions will not be has natural as we see in the video. Thats a highly scripted pure bullshit bullshit. Theres bullshit and bullshit. One thing is bullshiting about features that don't exist yet, other thing is bullshitting about features you don't plan, can't and will not implement.

But we can get Wildlands with robots, and that will be fun for 35 hours.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the vast majority of gamers will never hear of this controversy and lol if you think any company is going to give up potential cash for a small population of the internet

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

kill nazis and gamergaters

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

buy guns and shoot bad devs in the head

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

kill nazis and gamergaters

:yeah:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How do people feel about the conferences so far? I know we're only 3 major ones in, but so far this has been an okay e3.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grey Fox posted:

Then people don't have to buy their products. It's not hard.

Good, so you won't be buying any Microsoft products now, right? I mean, these are the kinds of views they support.

quote:

Bigotry and drug addiction are the same thing. Okay.

That phrase is lifted whole-heartedly from right wing talking points about their war on drugs. You know what you said.

Kashuno posted:

How do people feel about the conferences so far? I know we're only 3 major ones in, but so far this has been an okay e3.

I only saw one game I'm excited about, and that's Wolfenstein.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Aside from the baffling new Xbox name and price, it's been pretty ok for me so far!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Well, Guerrilla are magicians. Bioware... not so much. I admit that Inquisition did have its moments but it wasn't that good looking of a game.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Kashuno posted:

the vast majority of gamers will never hear of this controversy and lol if you think any company is going to give up potential cash for a small population of the internet
"You blew millions on making and marketing a manchild 'egalitarian' sci-fi wet dream that failed to break even. How do you explain this?"

"B-b-b-but the potential cash..."

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I predict the nintendo conference will be 30 minutes of a camera looking at a cactus, and the nintendo fans will still claim victory, with the best conference.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Bernie would have Xbox one

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I was surprised that people didn't see a lot of Crysis in Anthem. To me it was Crysis x edition

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrow posted:

That's definitely fair. I think I'm just extra skeptical because Anthem has that MMO aspect, a trailer full of classic fake voice chat like The Division's reveal, and, well, it's Bioware.

But you're right. I was absolutely among the "every bit of Horizon gameplay we've seen looks like bullshit and there's no way the game is really like that" people and I was (thankfully) wrong. If Anthem ends up being an actually good third-person shooter Horizon-with-Iron-Man-suits MMO then I'm definitely interested.

I'm trying to look at the trailer objectively and there's nothing overtly wrong with it. Anthem succeeds at A) looking good and B) giving you an idea of what the game's going to be about. Were this being developed by any other studio I'd probably just think it was a cool little thing and have kept it on my radar. But knowing it's Bioware and that they basically killed everything that made their games enjoyable for some Destiny clone is just kinda of argh.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Tei posted:

I predict the nintendo conference will be 30 minutes of a camera looking at a cactus, and the nintendo fans will still claim victory, with the best conference.

Please understand.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
So.

If you want to get Devolver's full 10ish hours of stuff.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/151136534

Starts at 10 hours and 2 to 3 minutes roughly. Ends like 5 minutes before the VOD is over, I think.

Just gonna put this out here too: https://github.com/Franiac/TwitchLeecher/releases

It Downloads twitch vods. The temp directory is made on your C drive though so I get to see if 120 gigs on a ssd is enough space for 10 hours of a twitch vod but I am totally grabbing the devolver mess to watch again later at my leisure.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

mutata posted:

Bad publicity does exist, don't believe the cliche that bad marketers trot out about how any attention is good attention.

Also, I can respect a separation of art and artist philosophy up to the point where the art embodies and upholds the beliefs of the artist at which point the concept falls apart.

Edit: lol I'm SURE Microsoft wishes we'd take it somewhere else but the fact remains that I learned about it on their E3 stage so, um, sorry!

Pretty much this. The game plot is apparently about "feminism run amok" or some poo poo, which sounds like an awful plot wrapped up in pixel art. The trailer looked kinda cool, but I'll give this a pass.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grey Fox posted:

"You blew millions on making and marketing a manchild 'egalitarian' sci-fi wet dream that failed to break even. How do you explain this?"

Haha that you think Twitter shaming will stop a one-man pixel adventure game published by Microsoft from breaking even

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Grey Fox posted:

This is a conversation that will literally never happen

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Good, so you won't be buying any Microsoft products now, right? I mean, these are the kinds of views they support.
Do they? I said they failed to do their due diligence here, and Microsoft has not responded yet as far as I know. And I don't own an Xbox, so no, I'm not supporting their gaming division ATM.

quote:

That phrase is lifted whole-heartedly from right wing talking points about their war on drugs. You know what you said.
I do know what I said. I was talking about bigotry, which isn't a treatable disease like drug addiction. You know what YOU'RE saying when you continue to equate the two.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Haha that you think Twitter shaming will stop a one-man pixel adventure game published by Microsoft from breaking even

microsoft stopped themselves from breaking even on the xbone division years ago

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Kashuno posted:

This is a conversation that will literally never happen
You catch on quick

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Morby posted:

Pretty much this. The game plot is apparently about "feminism run amok" or some poo poo, which sounds like an awful plot wrapped up in pixel art. The trailer looked kinda cool, but I'll give this a pass.

It's lost on this page because of all the debate, but which game are we talking about here?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Grey Fox posted:

I do know what I said. I was talking about bigotry, which isn't a treatable disease like drug addiction.

Yeah, certain types of people are just genetically predisposed towards intolerance, poor devils.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grey Fox posted:

I do know what I said. I was talking about bigotry, which isn't a treatable disease like drug addiction. You know what YOU'RE saying when you continue to equate the two.

You are using the rhetoric of the right wing when they push the ideal of ending drug addiction via the horrors of the war on drugs. That ideal failed wholeheartedly and will continue to do so.

The years of yelling at people on Twitter to share your political views have produced the same result - by making everything worse. Whee!

Racism and drug addiction are not the same thing, but it's quite simple to see how "brutalize people into hitting 'rock bottom' until they do what we want" doesn't actually accomplish anything.

Bicyclops posted:

It's lost on this page because of all the debate, but which game are we talking about here?

The Last Night.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Morby posted:

I think your projecting. This is the only thing about the plot on the Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/612400/The_Last_Night/

quote:

Humans first knew the era of survival. Then they knew the era of work. Now they live in the era of leisure. Machines have surpassed human labour not only in strength, but in precision, intellect, and creativity. Stabilised by universal income, people struggle to find their calling or identity, and define themselves by what they consume, rather than what they create.

The Last Night immerses you in the everyday life of Charlie, a second-class citizen living in a city brimming with augmentation and citizens living a gamified existence -- none of which Charlie can experience himself due to a childhood accident. Apathetic and disheartened by the seemingly pointless world around him, Charlie is presented with an opportunity to take matters into his own hands. But at what risk?

The plot looks to be about a world where humans have nothing to do but to consume media (and define themselves by what they consume) and the a person that can't even fit into that life.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Hey guys... how did all these influencers get their Xbox 1 X vid out so quickly... 🤔

]

nobody is in this shot because the guy just shot b-reel at the location than somehow took a xbox 1 x back to his hotel/office and filmed himself there...

seriously though... at least microsoft didn't force these guys onto stage to do something they're not used to.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
The meltdowns everyone so wanted from Farcry 5 we're going to get from a loving pixel-indie game instead lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

The Last Night

• Locked thread