Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Simply Simon posted:

My girlfriend needs me to comment that the hell children look like sloths. Murdersloths. They even have "claws"! It's true!

Can we keep calling them Murderkids because I hate children and don't want sloths ruined?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Rick_Hunter posted:

Can we keep calling them Murderkids because I hate children and don't want sloths ruined?

What if I hate both?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

bman in 2288 posted:

What if I hate both?

:toughguy:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm just going to chime in here to say I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the sign said:

NOTICE
HELL
CUM

When I first saw it. (it shows up again in the bathroom, too)

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I see you found the giant key from Torque at the end there.

Also I thought the notice said "hell is coming", which is less fun but still sort of weird.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

One interesting thing is that, although it is hard to tell due to the low resolution, the image for the fairy tale appears to actually have the same English text as the translation you read on it.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm just going to chime in here to say I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the sign said:

NOTICE
HELL
CUM

You're all perverts.

I just noticed hell. Nothing so lewd as what you're all on about.

lightace
Jul 13, 2016
I thought it said 'hell is coming.' :shrug:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Hmm... note written in blood. Okay.

Children trying to hug and kill me, ho-hum.

Sudden occult symbols on the ground? Oh, that's odd.

Big fan covered in rust and blood and who-knows-what? Probably ought to keep my distance, I guess.

A WHEELCHAIR?! In an elementary school? What horrifying reality is this?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kangra posted:

Hmm... note written in blood. Okay.

Children trying to hug and kill me, ho-hum.

Sudden occult symbols on the ground? Oh, that's odd.

Big fan covered in rust and blood and who-knows-what? Probably ought to keep my distance, I guess.

A WHEELCHAIR?! In an elementary school? What horrifying reality is this?

One thing I have always loved about these games is what the protagonists choose to be frightened or unnerved by. It's so strangely selective. Personally I'd just be sprinting around going AAAAAAAAAHHH at every single thing, so I admire their mental fortitude.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

According to the TCRF.net page for SH1, the Grey Children we see here only appear in the North American release, and both Japan and Europe had the other monster instead. I'm not sure if that is true because I've never seen the Japanese versions of any of the SH games, but TCRF is usually pretty reliable when it comes to this kind of thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is true! I mentioned this in the comments section of the video where I mentioned that for the first time, but uh... get ready for like 10 more episodes of me being wrong about the Grey Children and their replacements in almost every permutation of ways one can be wrong about that subject.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

CJacobs posted:

One thing I have always loved about these games is what the protagonists choose to be frightened or unnerved by. It's so strangely selective. Personally I'd just be sprinting around going AAAAAAAAAHHH at every single thing, so I admire their mental fortitude.

Silent Hill seems to run on something very much like dream logic, which makes things of this sort make more sense. Most of the stuff is the right kind of weird to just seem strange, or fit in with the general oddness, but a few things just stand out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CJacobs posted:

It's the build up, you know? One thing I've always said about SH (especially SH 1) is that the games just feel exhausting to experience. What you see and deal with is so relentlessly awful that it's less moments of big shock and more that playing for a couple hours makes you feel worn down.

So it's fine that Harry's trucking along and keeping his cool until something just happens to slip past his defenses.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Psychotic Weasel posted:

NOTICE
HELL
CUM

The T was pretty faint so I always saw

NO ICE
HELL

and just kinda went "well duh"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gyromancy is a method of divination in which a person spins around inside or walks the circumference of a circle drawn on the ground, the perimeter of which is marked with the letters of an alphabet. The divination is inferred from the letter at the position where the person either stumbles or falls across the circle’s edge. The person would repeat the practice "...till he evolved an intelligible sentence, or till death or madness intervened."[1] The dizziness brought on by spinning or circling is intended to introduce randomness or to facilitate an altered state of consciousness.[2]

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Silent Hill only has the one medical hospital, which is Alchemilla. The other two you briefly mentioned are psychiatric hospitals. Which manages to say a lot about a small town like Silent Hill needing two psychiatric hospitals.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
In Japanese, the word for "4" sounds the same as their word for "death". So yeah, it's low-brow, but this game is supposed to be explicitly spooky.

I do not like the sound of the generator. It sounds like someone's breathing really heavily into a microphone.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I can no longer hear "My name is Harry Mason. I'm in town on vacation." without then hearing in my head this piece of music Generic CAW made for VB's SH LP.

... Seven years ago, are you serious? Ugh. :corsair:

Also, useless trivia; the "concerning generator noise" was part of the soundtrack. I recognise it from having listened to the SH soundtracks a lot over the years.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
You missed the bus, man.

Seriously, there's a bus in front of the school you can enter. It's got a save point and some items.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Antistar01 posted:

I can no longer hear "My name is Harry Mason. I'm in town on vacation." without then hearing in my head this piece of music Generic CAW made for VB's SH LP.

Also, useless trivia; the "concerning generator noise" was part of the soundtrack. I recognise it from having listened to the SH soundtracks a lot over the years.

I'm glad I am not the only one who hears that song as well with that voice line.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You know, harry is a pretty trusting guy. Most people when faced with a crazy person dabbling with the occult in the middle of a church would probably back away real fast.

But harry just implicitly trusts her and even grabs her doohickey because it cant be dangerous in the slightest.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Oh man, I had completely forgotten about that gyromancy line. Silent Hill 1 really does get pretty silly at times.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Watching the video back and I just realized I called it a rubik's cube even though it's a pyramid oh man I'm such an idiot

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

It's one of those puzzle pyramid things the Riddler was selling in that one Batman: The Animated Series episode! :pseudo:

edit: Gum Heads were the monkey creatures in Silent Hill 4, I don't remember off the top of my head what the ones in SH1 were called but I think they're "Rompers" or something like that.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 3, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yup! I am determined to be technically-correct-but-wrong-game about the name of every enemy in this drat thing! I almost know what I'm talking about! :shepface:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I've always called them "gently caress gently caress gently caress get away from me"

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Kibayasu posted:

I've always called them "gently caress gently caress gently caress get away from me"
This is a very versatile name for the entire family of creatures you find in Silent Hill.

There's also the "Oh gently caress it's flying" genus and the "getitoffmyleg" genus.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bman in 2288 posted:

In Japanese, the word for "4" sounds the same as their word for "death". So yeah, it's low-brow, but this game is supposed to be explicitly spooky.

I do not like the sound of the generator. It sounds like someone's breathing really heavily into a microphone.

The 4 appearing after you get back in is one of those really subtle things that creeps you out and I love it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really love that little mind trick. It's also a real good way to make you feel like you're being "routed" through the area by some creepy invisible hand. I believe the fourth floor is gone when you return in Origins and Homecoming, as well, so maybe it doesn't even exist at all :tinfoil:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 5, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

CJacobs posted:

I believe the fourth floor is gone when you return in Origins and Homecoming, as well, so maybe it doesn't even exist at all :tinfoil:
Speaking of things that don't (or at least shouldn't) exist... :v:

[e] please don't take this as some sort of "hurr only the glorious Nihonese are allowed to make Silent Hill" nonsense, I just really dislike those two games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Homecoming is just alright, but Origins is one of the best games in the series imo. The gimmick it employs with the mirrors is fantastic, and it streamlines the series' problem with areas actually being twice as large as they first appear (once for the normal world and then check all the doors again for the other world).

edit: Also, chucking TVs at monsters is the dumbest poo poo and I love it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 5, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I thought the mirror gimmick in Origins just cheapened the otherworld transition, because that's supposed to be a Big Deal(tm) when it happens. They did have plot justification for it at least (which I won't spoil here, obviously), but being able to just go in and out of the super hosed up version of Silent Hill at your leisure never sat right with me (well I guess you kinda do that in SH4 as well, but I'm not really a fan of that game either and it has a different take on the otherworld anyway).

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 5, 2017

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

The 4 appearing after you get back in is one of those really subtle things that creeps you out and I love it.

I always thought that the best touch was that it appeared as a normal elevator button. In this series you'd expect a control from out of nowhere to be all bloody or rusty or even just painted on, but the button-out-of-nowhere here just looks like you could have easily missed it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Doc Morbid posted:

I thought the mirror gimmick in Origins just cheapened the otherworld transition, because that's supposed to be a Big Deal(tm) when it happens. They did have plot justification for it at least (which I won't spoil here, obviously), but being able to just go in and out of the super hosed up version of Silent Hill at your leisure never sat right with me (well I guess you kinda do that in SH4 as well, but I'm not really a fan of that game either and it has a different take on the otherworld anyway).

Yeah, that's fair, I also felt that way about it. But they haven't repeated it since, and I think that kinda makes it special in that way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shei-kun posted:

This is a very versatile name for the entire family of creatures you find in Silent Hill.

There's also the "Oh gently caress it's flying" genus and the "getitoffmyleg" genus.

There's actually only ever been a few Silent Hill enemies that set that off in my brain. And honestly I didn't even remember they showed up now, I remember them from a later level which prompted that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think the first appearance of the Otherworld in Downpour was great, but would have been a lot better if the game didn't have so many beforehand that made sure you knew the transition was coming. It's a huge and spectacular thing, but you just know it's coming and you cheer more than get scared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrGt9Eh9VZo

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That boss at the school creeped me the *gently caress* out when I first played this. Enemies with a one-hit kill that involves eating you hit my Nope button (the giant fish in Mario 3 also falls under this).

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Antistar01 posted:

oh hey I didn't know the tindeck upload was still around :neckbeard:

The youtube upload has been a go to of mine for...wow 7 years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss67ho-5obA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

Aces High posted:

oh hey I didn't know the tindeck upload was still around :neckbeard:

The youtube upload has been a go to of mine for...wow 7 years