Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

And anyway, there's really not long to go until Tiggum gets his answers (and I hope they're satisfactory!) because there's only a couple episodes of the LP left... or are there?

There was an LP here, it's gone now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

All our friends are dead, dark rituals are being completed as we speak, and we don't have a map of this area. At least things can't possibly get any worse.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Even after everything that's happened to him Harry still speaks to what few people are left with all the enthusiasm and emotion of someone who just rolled out of bed... I'm not sure if that's better or worse than the hammy, over-the-top voice acting of Resident Evil.

I remember the death of our nurse friend seeming tragic, more so because she just seemed so innocent and helpless but by this point in the game you were likely so frustrated by running around in circles you probably didn't care any more.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like how Lisa's transformation is presented. At first it's a simple nosebleed, fine, we did just shove her into the wall in a blind panic, may have hurt her doing that... then she starts bleeding from the eye, then the forehead splits open and you're just like "No... this wasn't our fault. This is her otherworld form finally taking shape..." I do feel really bad for her - her final request was that Harry not leave her alone in her final moments of clarity, and the last thing she sees is him rejecting her and fleeing as she succumbs to the otherworld forever. I know he was panicking, and anyone would have done the same, but still... dick move Harry.

Hell for all he knew she'd just become one of those tumour nurses, an easy kill to end her suffering.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i like the last area, videogames embracing their ability to render non-euclidean spaces is fascinating

also it has a lot of story significance and it's a pretty perfect culmination of the game design before it

lightace
Jul 13, 2016
Cybil on the merry-go-round and Lisa's transformation are two of the most memorable scenes in gaming for me, even after all these years.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I just noticed the puppet nurses have the same death throes as Cybil. Was Cybil taken by the same parasite? I noticed a big stain on her back. And while we're at it, what can she even do once she runs out of bullets? She appears to just shovel around a bit.

Regarding Lisa, that's just such a sad fate. Was this even the real Lisa, or did we interact with something that believed it was her all this time? This does raise the question if she was always an otherworld monster, what makes the monsters? I played the two sequels so I have some solid idea's regarding that, but it remains interesting all the same.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you let Cybil get close she'll push you over and choke you, which requires wiggling to get away and drains your health. Speaking of that fight, I actually really like that being shot almost kills you straight-up even from full health, which no other attack in the game does. Getting clawed or bit by a monster probably hurts but it's whatever, and getting choked by the nurses would slowly choke the life out of you and all, but getting straight up shot is way more serious. Makes the game feel a lot more grounded.

As for exactly what Lisa is, we've seen basically all there is to see of her in this game. She shows up in Silent Hill: Origins and there's a fair bit more backstory to be found on her and Kaufman there (hence the Silent Hill Origins found in Silent Hill: Origins) but for now all we can really do is speculate. She is a pretty special case, she's one of the only characters in these games that talks to you despite technically being a monster. There is no answer to be found on what she is, whether a manifestation of the real Lisa- a memory of Alessa Gillespie's -or a puppet nurse that just hasn't transformed yet. It's really up to personal interpretation.

She also has a really... eerie smile, but that may just be the 90s CGI Of It All. Personally I think they're aware of that because it's used to pretty great effect on the soundtrack album cover which is creepy as all get out:

edit:

Also her twitching eye scared the hell out of me when I was recording

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 5, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I guess that note was cut because gruesome child death?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

I guess that note was cut because gruesome child death?

That would be the natural conclusion to draw, although it's just speculation. You're probably right, though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It'd be kind of strange for the note to be cut for having child death in the only version of the game that doesn't have the dead children censored, and available in the ones that do! But who knows, maybe that is the case.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Relevant more to CJacobs than Silent Hill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu0wLmSslSw

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chitoryu12 posted:

Relevant more to CJacobs than Silent Hill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu0wLmSslSw

Incredible. The best thing about that video is, the game almost actually was like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9uuw9zS1B0

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Does any mod restore that Giant Thug?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
You can certainly tell that The Matrix came out between the first and second trailer. :v:

In fact I seem to recall Max Payne having a tech demo or trailer or something that was a more or less straight-up recreation of the famous lobby scene in The Matrix. Maybe it was a benchmark in 3DMark? That rings a bell.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It reminds me of a PS2 game that I played the first area of, Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat, that seemed like at early attempt at what Assassins Creed 4 would later do re: Pirate Simulator, it just didn't have the technology. It had land combat, exploration, naval combat, it was just all really clunky. The only thing it didn't do was the stealth. I got stuck on the first boss because Blackbeard was an rear end in a top hat but I may give it another go someday.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Antistar01 posted:

In fact I seem to recall Max Payne having a tech demo or trailer or something that was a more or less straight-up recreation of the famous lobby scene in The Matrix. Maybe it was a benchmark in 3DMark? That rings a bell.

That was a mod. Kung Fu or Cinema maybe.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

That was a mod. Kung Fu or Cinema maybe.

I have heard of those mods, though I never tried them - but no, this is what I was thinking of. It was a 3Dmark benchmark, like I thought.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Update on the whole 'can't possibly get any worse' thing. As it turns out, I was wrong. Things got very much worse. Are you a bad enough dude, I mean good enough dad, to stop an evil ritual before it completes?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Sure, Alessa. We'll take this baby of yours, who may or may not be a demon, with us to replace the previous one we lost. What's the worst that could happen, right? :shepface:

And well, if you're going to do the rest of the series, that means I won't have to LP Silent Hill 3! I was planning to do so a while back (before this thread started), but now I can watch someone competent and entertaining play it instead.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Mr. Jacobs, my childhood memories of this game are very disappointed that you failed to use that red goo you bottled in the hospital on Cybil during the fight on the merry-go-round. You completed all the other sidequests!

I still enjoyed the LP though. Are you going to do a follow up video?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I won't lie, there was a lot more devil worship in this game than I was expecting when we first started.

Is the only ending split based on whether or not you did the sidequest for the drug info? Without getting into too much detail, I thought this game was infamous for a particularly bizarre secret ending. Or is that another SH game?

VV Gotcha, thanks. Looking forward to that!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 11, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That would be the second one.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

C-Euro posted:

Is the only ending split based on whether or not you did the sidequest for the drug info?
There's a second trigger that determines your ending, it's mentioned in the spoiler in the post above yours.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cakefarts Carol posted:

Mr. Jacobs, my childhood memories of this game are very disappointed that you failed to use that red goo you bottled in the hospital on Cybil during the fight on the merry-go-round. You completed all the other sidequests!

I still enjoyed the LP though. Are you going to do a follow up video?

The LP's not over yet! :ssh:

I mean I know it may seem that way because I beat the game, talked over the credits, and said "see you in the next let's play" at the end of them, but we're not quite finished yet!

edit: But to defend my decision, for those that have played the game: I wanted to do the canon ending first. Silent Hill 1's Good ending (not the Good+ ending) is the canon one, and so I figured it'd be an appropriate if a bit tragic way to finish my canonical first run of the let's play. After this, though, we're gonna tie things up in a neat little bow.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

CJacobs posted:

Silent Hill 1's Good ending (not the Good+ ending) is the canon one

I didn't actually know this - I've played all the major console releases of the series, but the canon isn't something I'm especially familiar with outside of the broad strokes. Makes sense given some of the events of the sequels.

I really enjoyed the B-reel at the end of the credits. For such a grimdark horror title, seeing the "actors" mess around was a nice touch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cybil's fate remained a mystery until just recently, actually- she's never mentioned at all in Silent Hill 3, and given the determinant nature of the events surrounding her in this game, anything could have happened after Harry got out of dodge. Homecoming unfortunately has the answer:

quote:

In Silent Hill: Homecoming, Deputy Wheeler tells Alex Shepherd and Elle Holloway that a female police officer disappeared when she went to Silent Hill. The only evidence left of her was her motorcycle, which was found crashed on the road to Silent Hill. It is heavily implied this was Cybil.

The developers and designers have been split over the years as to whether the Good or Good+ ending is the canon one, but it's generally agreed on that it's the former because of the conceits that'd have to happen for it to be the latter. Future Silent Hill games avoid this problem by either having no canon ending, or one ending that's explicitly canon.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 11, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Nice of the Homecoming writers to clear things up for us, I for one didn't want anything about these games to be left ambiguous anyway.

To be fair, when it comes to things I dislike about Homecoming, this little detail barely makes the list. :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Homecoming had fun to play melee combat and terrible everything else.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Book of Lost Memories (the complete edition guide for Silent Hill 3) confirmed it several years earlier, but it wasn't actually mentioned in a game until Homecoming.

Also, Homecoming is great! And bad at the same time. But it's also great!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Like I said, Homecoming has really fantastic actual gameplay that gets across 'I'm fighting a horrible monster with a steel pipe' real well.

It then has a really bad story that's much too...concrete, if that makes sense? There are a lot of decent ideas that don't hang together because of that, and because the authors thought they needed more 'twists'.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Having watched this entire let's play so far, I have no loving idea what the story of this game is. How does any of this make any kind of sense?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I disagree! I think Homecoming's story is really neat and I love the slow unraveling of the town of Shepherd's Glen as you find out more and more of its weird hosed up secrets. The actual quality of the writing varies wildly because it was split between two different guys at Double Helix but overall I think it's very solid and a good addition to the series even in spite of its pyramid-shaped problems.

But we'll see when we eventually get there in like 20 years, won't we!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 11, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean I'm the weirdo who liked Silent Hill 4 a ton and doesn't like 3 much, so tastes vary a lot in these games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tiggum posted:

Having watched this entire let's play so far, I have no loving idea what the story of this game is. How does any of this make any kind of sense?

I wasn't gonna make a story video for this one like I did with The Evil Within, because I feel like the game pretty much spells it all out. But if it's still confusing after this explanation, I guess I can to really clear things up.

In the meantime, basically, Alessa Gillespie was sacrificed by a religious cult (headed by her mother) to birth their God, but they screwed up and she didn't die in the resulting fire. She was imbued with this strange dark energy that allowed her to split her soul in two, creating a little girl who was one day found on the side of the road by our boy Harry. He raises this Road Baby like his own daughter until she's seven-ish years old. They go to Silent Hill on vacation only to end up with their car crashed and trapped in the town which appears to have been swallowed up by darkness. A key point of note is that coming to Silent Hill was Cheryl's idea- Harry goes along with it because he agrees that they need some time away from home to get over the recent death of his wife. That last part is not mentioned in the game outright, though it is mentioned in the manual (lol), but you can still infer it from the splash intro.

Harry spends most of the game trying to find Cheryl, but he's too late- Dahlia Gillespie's plan is to rejoin the two halves of Alessa's soul and try birthing God again now that she's come of age. To stop this, Alessa (now basically a ghost in the system) placed a number of magical seals around the town to stop the Otherworld from breaking out, but Harry unwittingly seals her power away by carrying around the Flauros (the rubik's pyramid) and allows the ritual to succeed.

He puts a stop to it by shooting God many times with a hunting rifle, with the assistance of new friend Doctor Kaufmann, who uses a substance called Aglaophotis to purge the darkness from the creature and render it vulnerable. Then, Alessa reincarnates once again just like when she split her soul in half before, and Harry takes the Baby Of +1 Mysteriousness and absconds.

edit: And underneath all this there's PTV, a drug that circulates around Silent Hill in secret and is distributed to its citizens and enjoyed for its hallucinogenic effects. It was used mostly among members of the fanatical cult, who saw visions of Alessa reborn into God and the Otherworld (the darkness surrounding the town) when they used it. Whether it actually is a gateway into the dark, to allow people to see the hell beneath the surface of Silent Hill, is left ambiguous. What's important is that PTV and the flower used to make it are also the main ingredient in Aglaophotis- it allows people to see the dark world, but also to fight its dark energy.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 11, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's also really cool to either play or watch an LP of SH1, and then play or watch an LP of Forbidden Siren, and compare the two, given the same director did both.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Alessa was way ahead of her time:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Was it mentioned in-game that Harry found baby Cheryl on the side of the road? I don't remember that being mentioned but it could have been episode 1 material and I forgot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's shown in the intro, you see him and his wife picking the child up.

Aside from that, I believe it is mentioned somewhere early on but I can't remember where off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
I think it's mentioned during a conversation with Cybil on the carousel, if you save her.

• Locked thread