Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's okay to be scared by SH1, SH1 was a legit scary game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The use of the fog and the flashlight in Silent Hill is amazing, and one of the biggest things that made it stand out from RE.

Also, the 3' Steel Pipe is the greatest weapon any man can wield against abominations, and SH as a series will continue to bear this out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CJacobs posted:

One thing I have always loved about these games is what the protagonists choose to be frightened or unnerved by. It's so strangely selective. Personally I'd just be sprinting around going AAAAAAAAAHHH at every single thing, so I admire their mental fortitude.

It's the build up, you know? One thing I've always said about SH (especially SH 1) is that the games just feel exhausting to experience. What you see and deal with is so relentlessly awful that it's less moments of big shock and more that playing for a couple hours makes you feel worn down.

So it's fine that Harry's trucking along and keeping his cool until something just happens to slip past his defenses.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That's one thing SH4 has going for it: Henry has the meatiest stomp of any SH hero.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Homecoming had fun to play melee combat and terrible everything else.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Like I said, Homecoming has really fantastic actual gameplay that gets across 'I'm fighting a horrible monster with a steel pipe' real well.

It then has a really bad story that's much too...concrete, if that makes sense? There are a lot of decent ideas that don't hang together because of that, and because the authors thought they needed more 'twists'.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean I'm the weirdo who liked Silent Hill 4 a ton and doesn't like 3 much, so tastes vary a lot in these games.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's also really cool to either play or watch an LP of SH1, and then play or watch an LP of Forbidden Siren, and compare the two, given the same director did both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, the truth was being covered up. Dahlia was lying to Harry the entire game to trick him and there was a terrible secret at the center of everything.

But yeah, in SH1, everything actually has a pretty concrete explanation where you're in someone else's nightmare and there really is a dark, evil god at the center of all of it with a cult.

• Locked thread