Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Starman Super DX posted:

It was about chasing that feeling of knowing that you did something that was effective enough to help the team win. Also you didn't die.

This made me laugh a lot more than it should have.

Maybe I'm just :old: and no longer with it, but even the "adding you to friends to queue because you are slightly less terrible than the other random nobodies" mentality is weird when that very same person will immediately turn on you and gets nasty in the following game if things don't go well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That's basically what I was trying to say. I hate the enforced ~50% winrate because you know when you go on a win streak you're going to get a wall of losses to bring it back down. It makes things very grind-y and if I wanted to grind I'd start playing maplestory again.

It really just sounds like you don't like hyper competitive games. Which is probably a normal and sane thing, but these games probably just aren't for you? If you play a competitive game and have no desire to improve, you'll hit a ~50% winrate and never go anywhere. I play them to improve on various things and I have a lot of fun doing so. And there are way more video games that aren't hyper competitive where you will stomp, get stomped, and be in the middle randomly, but you could just as easily end up with a 30% win rate as a 70%.

Also you're a loving scrub at life if you think team work is more important than individual play in any sport, esport or not. Dive into the cutthroat horrifying world of NFL lineman as an example.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Why is it a "grind?" It's not like your ranking is your level in your RPG, all it does is give you fair fights instead of letting you get to the 40th percentile of player skill or so and then spend the rest of your time clowning on bads. Which, I mean, yeah that's fun for a while but you stop improving and it drives away newbies.

It's a grind because if you have a 55% winrate you're better than your MMR but it's going to take a large number of games to go up an appreciable amount. And sometimes you're going to lose 10 games in a row due to variance and that's really frustrating to see your progress wiped out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Don't think of it as progress, that's my point. Losing rank doesn't magically make your actual, human skill evaporate. Losing rank just means you're going to get easy games for a while afterwards. :toot:

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

if I wanted to grind I'd start playing maplestory again.

If I wanted to grind, I'd start playing Ragnarok Online again :grin:
Now there's three months of my life I'll never get back. Talk about your unbelievably pointless grindfests. At least there's some semblance of fun and strategy to a MOBA.
The sprite work is still baller as hell though.

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 13, 2017

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Don't think of it as progress, that's my point. Losing rank doesn't magically make your actual, human skill evaporate. Losing rank just means you're going to get easy games for a while afterwards. :toot:

its because they care more about what other people think of them than what they themselves think of them

and id rather just stomp the poo poo out of someone to prove that they are scrubs rather than scream in text chat that i have a higher elo therefore i am better

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Wicker Man posted:

For the longest time, I can't remember when it started, strategy game multiplayer maps used to have their own unique design. Like the maps in say, Red Alert 2. Then in C&C3, I saw how virtually every single multiplayer map has that tournament style design to it: a big fat mound of resources dumped next to starting locations, with the map design being a perfect mirror of the other half with no detail in terrain; it's all functionality, no personality to it at all. I swear every map is the exact same.

my favorite RTS is command and conquer generals and the community maps that have been made in line with the official ones are truly fantastic, they do weird things with topography and make you think about positioning aircraft and artillery in weird places and do odd things with resources that give you interesting skirmishes and force you to make meaningful choices even playing the same map over and over again.

but you go online and half of the games are on tournament maps that are flat, with max height walls, no textures, no features or capturables outside of your spawn and the entire meta for those type of maps is starcraft style APM min maxing. like why are you playing a strategy game? there isn't any strategy to that. it's rote memorizing the optimal series of buttons for each faction and seeing how good you compare against other people, roll the dice when you aren't both using the same one. and they all do, somehow, despite there being 16 of them

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

nigga crab pollock posted:

my favorite RTS is command and conquer generals and the community maps that have been made in line with the official ones are truly fantastic, they do weird things with topography and make you think about positioning aircraft and artillery in weird places and do odd things with resources that give you interesting skirmishes and force you to make meaningful choices even playing the same map over and over again.

but you go online and half of the games are on tournament maps that are flat, with max height walls, no textures, no features or capturables outside of your spawn and the entire meta for those type of maps is starcraft style APM min maxing. like why are you playing a strategy game? there isn't any strategy to that. it's rote memorizing the optimal series of buttons for each faction and seeing how good you compare against other people, roll the dice when you aren't both using the same one. and they all do, somehow, despite there being 16 of them

no items, final destination, etc. Fun =/= Competitive Play.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The best competitive players are the ones who play only semi-competitively (high-end matchmaking, lower tier tournaments) with sub-optimal but hilarious strats.

*masses ravens*

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
The guy who sat next to me in trigonometry is a esports commentator. He got free poo poo.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Edgar posted:

The guy who sat next to me in trigonometry is a esports commentator. He got free poo poo.

so does every pathetic douche in the game journalism industry. it's so they don't actually have to pay them anything real (and usually with the ultimate goal of selling more poo poo.)

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Esports are........ STUPID

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
My favorite dota international was that one everyone death balled and surrendered after 20 minutes. Wow great show guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

My favorite dota international was that one everyone death balled and surrendered after 20 minutes. Wow great show guys.

:same:

• Locked thread