Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Don't think of it as progress, that's my point. Losing rank doesn't magically make your actual, human skill evaporate. Losing rank just means you're going to get easy games for a while afterwards. :toot:

its because they care more about what other people think of them than what they themselves think of them

and id rather just stomp the poo poo out of someone to prove that they are scrubs rather than scream in text chat that i have a higher elo therefore i am better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Wicker Man posted:

For the longest time, I can't remember when it started, strategy game multiplayer maps used to have their own unique design. Like the maps in say, Red Alert 2. Then in C&C3, I saw how virtually every single multiplayer map has that tournament style design to it: a big fat mound of resources dumped next to starting locations, with the map design being a perfect mirror of the other half with no detail in terrain; it's all functionality, no personality to it at all. I swear every map is the exact same.

my favorite RTS is command and conquer generals and the community maps that have been made in line with the official ones are truly fantastic, they do weird things with topography and make you think about positioning aircraft and artillery in weird places and do odd things with resources that give you interesting skirmishes and force you to make meaningful choices even playing the same map over and over again.

but you go online and half of the games are on tournament maps that are flat, with max height walls, no textures, no features or capturables outside of your spawn and the entire meta for those type of maps is starcraft style APM min maxing. like why are you playing a strategy game? there isn't any strategy to that. it's rote memorizing the optimal series of buttons for each faction and seeing how good you compare against other people, roll the dice when you aren't both using the same one. and they all do, somehow, despite there being 16 of them

• Locked thread