Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i would not be surprised if that's from my city or the city north of us. it look like the kind of houses we have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

grovermantel

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

BiohazrD posted:

i love this image, but for reasons other than the tv

its the most slap shod flip a house in 3 weeks bullshit. the loving fake stone tile, fake marble mantle held on with mortar and no anchors. it pleases me

and the longer you look the worse it gets

door frame different colour from mouldings, white door in lenin-grey room with brown floors, you've probably got a good quarter of a board-width's worth of play in that floor from one side to the other (txt me) , fireplace with no grille or glass doors is almost definitely a code violation, whatever stonework's in front of the fireplace isn't deep enough unless there's a gas insert but if that's the case what's with the bullshit styro-stone, why does a white chair have pink threads and black leather, is the owner yao ming or did the person in the chair stick his neck up at a 40 degree angle to watch tv, and now that i think about it where's the video source for that tv even...

Thanks Ants posted:

grovermantel

needs insulation behind it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it's a recliner and i dont see pink threads. i found a higher res one and the grout is this sandstone color which doesnt match anything

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
where should you mount the tv if the fireplace is the focal point of the room and most people don't use the fireplace anyway?

like, is the super cool hip thing to do to utterly wreck the layout of your room in service to a particular piece of electronics?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

1) not buy a poo poo house with poor layout

or

2) renovate and have the fireplace removed

or, as a last resort

3) actually use a mount and attach it to the wall and run wires on the ground like a animal you piece of poo poo

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

lol indeed

and if you're an architect and design a fake fireplace into your plans, come up with some other ideas for a focal point you lazy gently caress.

if it's not freezing and snowing for like half the year you don't need a fireplace at all

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah, i don't think i'm particularly interested in rearranging my life around a piece of consumer electronics

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
my tv is mounted above my gas fireplace. works for me, wont fix, stymie was right

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dislike button posted:

gas fireplace

lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"heh. just buy a better house! dumbass :smugdog: "

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"heh. just buy a better house! dumbass :smugdog: "

you don't have to do that.

you just have get the fire place removed.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

akadajet posted:

lol at this

i prefer to consume my cathode rays well done and with ketchup

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

and now that i think about it where's the video source for that tv even...

ppl put the receiver and cable box and other ott poo poo in a cupboard thing and have a ir reciever or some poo poo on top of the tv or whaytever ppl do now. idk. idiot

Stymie posted:

where should you mount the tv if the fireplace is the focal point of the room and most people don't use the fireplace anyway?

dont put the tv in the living room (big room with fireplace) and instead put it in the den u loving maroon. christ so drat stupid. lmfao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
greetings in my big arched cielings living room with fireplace im gong to put a tv. the room thats impossible to heat and big and for when i have big parties and theres a piano inside of it. thats where ill sit alone and watch foot ball while i read the newspaper. instead of putting the tv in a little room thats a lot beter for when im watching cinimax at night and sleeping on the couch with the dog on the floor next to me. good thknking. -a big idiot

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Gas fireplaces, much like gas grills, are superior

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Dislike button posted:

Gas fireplaces, much like gas grills, are superior

agreed, I love a real wood fire if someone else gets up early to light it and tidies up at the end of the day. otherwise, I'll just stick to pressing the 'ignite' butan thank you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

akadajet posted:

lol at this

i mean if you are going to have a tv over your fireplace, this doesn't seem too bad. put the tv in front of the hole on an arm and put the av equipment behind it

but lol at putting a tv over a fireplace

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

agreed, I love a real wood fire if someone else gets up early to light it and tidies up at the end of the day. otherwise, I'll just stick to pressing the 'ignite' butan thank you.

yeah it owns waking up on a cold winter morning and pressing a switch and having an instant fire (underneath my television, which is mounted above the fireplace)

So many good things in this picture

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
my brother who has a dog like that had a tv above the fireplace for a while.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

flakeloaf posted:

that's not a load-bearing decoration, dingus

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dislike button posted:

yeah it owns waking up on a cold winter morning and pressing a switch and having an instant fire (underneath my television, which is mounted above the fireplace)

So many good things in this picture

cool dog, but if the tv was lower he could watch the other dogs on tv more comfortably

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

i mean if you are going to have a tv over your fireplace, this doesn't seem too bad. put the tv in front of the hole on an arm and put the av equipment behind it

but lol at putting a tv over a fireplace

the house i grew up in had a fireplace in the center of the living room with the brick chimney going up like a pillar, and for a while we had the tv up against the back of it, and then we made a fire one night and the back of the tv melted :cool:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
look i understand that a lot of folks in this forum center their lives around their consumer electronics but for regular people it's not a concern

the main room in which people relax quite frequently is configured that the fireplace is at the focal point of the room, so it's a natural place to put the tv

if you're willing to upend your life and/or spend thousands of dollars to accommodate a particular piece of consumer electronics good on you, but you must understand that's a very abnormal behavior

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i don't even have a fireplace OP :smugdog:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
put the tv in front of the fireplace and play a fireplace dvd

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

americans spend a lot of time and money justifying that the thing they stare at 4-9 hours a day [or is on next to them as they stare at a second smaller thing] isn't "the focal point" even though it's probably 99% of all time spent in living rooms

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The average retiree spends over 40 hours per week watching television.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

qirex posted:

americans spend a lot of time and money justifying that the thing they stare at 4-9 hours a day [or is on next to them as they stare at a second smaller thing] isn't "the focal point" even though it's probably 99% of all time spent in living rooms

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Stymie posted:

look i understand that a lot of folks in this forum center their lives around their consumer electronics but for regular people it's not a concern

the main room in which people relax quite frequently is configured that the fireplace is at the focal point of the room, so it's a natural place to put the tv

if you're willing to upend your life and/or spend thousands of dollars to accommodate a particular piece of consumer electronics good on you, but you must understand that's a very abnormal behavior

yes i too just stare at an empty fireplace most days, i wouldnt give that up for the world

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fireplaces are dumb

replace your fireplace with a tiny elevator that goes to the roof

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
fireplaces are gr8 just don't put ur tv over them. use a different wall.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My fireplace tv is mounted at a slight angle so I can watch it comfortably reclining on the couch or standing in the kitchen. It's really the best of both worlds.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
fireplaces are cool if you actually use them but i'm also one of those weirdos that doesn't really watch TV and thinks that a communal place like the living room should be filled with conversation rather than sitcoms, so what do I know

death to television

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

fireplaces are cool if you actually use them but i'm also one of those weirdos that doesn't really watch TV and thinks that a communal place like the living room should be filled with conversation rather than sitcoms, so what do I know

death to television

same, my crt television lives in the closet

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

tv party lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have a separate room for my tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

seems like every nerd i work with now collects studio monitor crts for their retro gaming whatever

• Locked thread