Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Oblivion was both my first open world and bethesda game. Exiting the imperial sewer for the first time and seeing all of cyrodil blew my little mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Oblivion was also the harbinger of the eventual "consolification" of game development, where advanced systems and mechanics were dumped due to accessibility via controllers. We're just recovering from this, mainly due to indie devs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hmmm sounds like a good thing to me, the person playing on a console

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

bushisms.txt posted:

Oblivion was also the harbinger of the eventual "consolification" of game development, where advanced systems and mechanics were dumped due to accessibility via controllers. We're just recovering from this, mainly due to indie devs.

laugh my rear end off no it was not, unless you're specifically talking about TES and nothing else.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

bushisms.txt posted:

How dare they make games for devices specifically for playing games instead of a device that was designed to type words badly

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Imagine the keyboard shortcuts we could have developed by this point in history if Oblivion hadn't come along to cuckify gaming

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'd say Skyrim did way more to lean controller-friendly than Oblivion ever did. Obviously though revamping controls to better work for consoles wasn't a huge issue when Morrorwind got ported over to Xbox, a couple things about it sucked on controller but it played well enough for me to sink 1,000 hours or whatever.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

bushisms.txt posted:

Lmao what a fuckin nerd

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

TES should learn from FFXIV and give me 1,000 keybinds!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Ya'll seem to be focusing too hard on him complaining about oblivion and not mentioning how wrong he was. If you're going to point out "consolification", I guess Halo would be a much better candidate, and Halo 2 brought legions of n-word shrieking rednecks into online gaming. Mechassault basically took Mechwarrior and said "eh, gently caress you" to the complicated simmy gameplay and turned Battletech games into a powerup grabbing shooter, KOTOR was the "consolification" for RPGs, but Bioware also began to start developing different, better technology with how they handled interpersonal character interaction. For awhile there, Bioware was basically kicking everyone's rear end at storytelling in RPGs due to how much you could choose your own dialogue, and affect outcomes. So you couldn't do fun poo poo like cast cloudkill into a room without revealing the enemies and laugh as they all die or spam a million buffs before the battle started and get stronk as gently caress and break the game, but it worked out better.

Consoles also brought old and dead PC franchises back to life, Fallout is one of the biggest game franchises ever and it was most certainly not before Fallout 3.

I really don't have an issue with "consolification" I guess. I generally consider games having better controls to be a decent tradeoff for the insane bump in production value and storytelling quality. The Witcher is what you get when you want to make a big PC game, and the Witcher 2 and 3 are what you get when you take cues from "console" style games.

Also blah blah gamergate boys club gatekeeping master race nazi rhetoric etc etc.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Also blah blah gamergate boys club gatekeeping master race nazi rhetoric etc etc.

:kstare:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just looking at games that are traditionally PC, strategy stuff such as Stellaris and Civilization 6, they did a fantastic job with the console versions of those. It's the exact games but they just reworked the control system for controllers. And as a lifelong Civ player who bought all Civ games for PC, I actually prefer the console edition. The controls are great and PC nerds thought it couldn't be done. Can't wait until Microsoft finally ports Excel to Xbox.

Also, next up will be Crusader Kings 3, can't wait for that one!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yeah civ 6 on console owns

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

one game i really wanted to wait to play on PC was Prey because the console port ran so poorly and then Xbox just went "60fps 1440p baby" and then I paid 500 euro to play it on series x. hell yeah

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

bushisms.txt posted:

If I was going to point a finger in blame at bad consolification in design, I'd probably be more privvy to point it at Deus Ex: Invisible War. Boy, some decisions were made there!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

The Kins posted:

If I was going to point a finger in blame at bad consolification in design, I'd probably be more privvy to point it at Deus Ex: Invisible War. Boy, some decisions were made there!

Lets be honest, gaming was permanently ruined forever when they put Mechwarrior 2 on the PS1

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I blame Ultima on the NES

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Wolf 3D having joystick support was the beginning of the end.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
arcades were the original ‘consolfication’ and the real beginning of the end

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
It’s all been downhill since Pong anyway.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
tv’s inventing knobs to control the volume and change channels was the swan song for PC gaming

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

skipmyseashells posted:

arcades were the original ‘consolfication’ and the real beginning of the end

Curse ye, Sega!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

bushisms.txt posted:

John F Bennett posted:

Just looking at games that are traditionally PC, strategy stuff such as Stellaris and Civilization 6, they did a fantastic job with the console versions of those. It's the exact games but they just reworked the control system for controllers. And as a lifelong Civ player who bought all Civ games for PC, I actually prefer the console edition. The controls are great and PC nerds thought it couldn't be done. Can't wait until Microsoft finally ports Excel to Xbox.

Also, next up will be Crusader Kings 3, can't wait for that one!

this is an interesting subject because bushisms might be onto something as far as broad industry trends, but that being said i think it all had more to do with a lack of controller layout standardization in the early 00s and the general trend of making GBS threads out bad ports with no thought for adapting to interfaces. by the time we reached 2010 not only were there a fuckton more people using controllers on PC but you also find devs porting PC games to console and reworking their interfaces entirely to work smoothly (ie XCOM). nowadays it feels like bad controller support or bad menu design and integration is more of a rarity. i think of Diablo 2 Resurrected ofr example, where yeah the PC menu interface is still slightly more flexible and speedy, but the console controller shortcuts and overall controller interface design is well thought out and extremely comfortable and convenient. on some level i think this would've been unthinkable in 2005-2006.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
oblivion was the first and only elder scrolls game i've played. i made a character with the widest possible head, named fathead. right off the bat i found a dungeon with a lich or something and when i killed him i got a lightning staff. i found another dungeon with a badass in it and i stood in a spot where she couldn't reach me and zapped her to death with lightning. she dropped some really great armor and a 1h weapon and i was so overpowered that the game wasn't fun. i remember doing the colosseum questline and one of the oblivion gates and then quitting

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

the first time i ever saw oblivion was at my friend's house, his flatmate was playing it on a big tv in the next room and i think the first words out of my mouth were "that looks like poo poo" i then went back into the main room and continued playing shadow of the colossus on a PS2 at 15fps

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bushisms.txt posted:

this happened earlier. i think Deus Ex Invisible War set console/PC relations back a generation

i think a big part was that all the game's technical problems like how it couldn't handle a hub map larger than a closet without loading screen exits got blamed on consoles

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

My wife had a good time laughing at all the Oblivion jank when I played it this weekend.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zurtilik posted:

My wife had a good time laughing at all the Oblivion jank when I played it this weekend.

Thank you, kind lady!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Ya'll seem to be focusing too hard on him complaining about oblivion and not mentioning how wrong he was. If you're going to point out "consolification", I guess Halo would be a much better candidate, and Halo 2 brought legions of n-word shrieking rednecks into online gaming. Mechassault basically took Mechwarrior and said "eh, gently caress you" to the complicated simmy gameplay and turned Battletech games into a powerup grabbing shooter, KOTOR was the "consolification" for RPGs, but Bioware also began to start developing different, better technology with how they handled interpersonal character interaction. For awhile there, Bioware was basically kicking everyone's rear end at storytelling in RPGs due to how much you could choose your own dialogue, and affect outcomes. So you couldn't do fun poo poo like cast cloudkill into a room without revealing the enemies and laugh as they all die or spam a million buffs before the battle started and get stronk as gently caress and break the game, but it worked out better.

Consoles also brought old and dead PC franchises back to life, Fallout is one of the biggest game franchises ever and it was most certainly not before Fallout 3.

I really don't have an issue with "consolification" I guess. I generally consider games having better controls to be a decent tradeoff for the insane bump in production value and storytelling quality. The Witcher is what you get when you want to make a big PC game, and the Witcher 2 and 3 are what you get when you take cues from "console" style games.

Mechassault was great you fuckin nerd

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a lot of people confused "complex" with "good"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

a lot of people confused "complex" with "good"
Complex and Complicated are two very different things.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I will try Oblivion tonight

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seltzer posted:

I will try Oblivion tonight

:hai:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Daggerfall!

I can speak harpy!

Daggerfall!

It doesn't matter.

Daggerfall!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

McTimmy posted:

Daggerfall!

I can speak harpy!

Daggerfall!

It doesn't matter.

Daggerfall!

Speaking of

https://twitter.com/gav_clayton/status/1432839620891328517?s=21

This dude has put a lot of work into bringing the game forward.

https://www.thegamer.com/the-elder-scrolls-daggerfall-unity-interview-gavin-clayton/amp/

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Does Oblivion still have that busted level scaling or did they patch that out?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wish there was a way to filter out Xbox One players from Halo Infinite matches.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escape Goat posted:

Does Oblivion still have that busted level scaling

sure does.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wish there was a way to filter out Xbox One players from Halo Infinite matches.

Some of the loading times are so long that they have to be PC players with 5400rpm HDDs or something. Not even a launch model Xbone takes 5 minutes to load a map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bardeh posted:

Some of the loading times are so long that they have to be PC players with 5400rpm HDDs or something. Not even a launch model Xbone takes 5 minutes to load a map.

I get Microsoft's vision of everyone playing together but there needs to be a point where they say "no this isn't going to work out."