Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«106 »
Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Haha, I just upgraded the visuals on my xboxo by... changing the TV to the right setting. I bought a nice 3D LED tv off Craigslist a few months back (not for the 3D stuff, because I looked at the reviews and they all said it had beautiful picture quality and it was $175) and I for a while I thought it was just displaying the xbox more "accurately" and that was the reason things looked a bit more pixelated.

Then I got Watch Dogs 2 (on sale for like $16.00 at Wal-Mart btw) and a lot of the UI was cut off, so I searched online and it said "check your picture settings" and low and behold when the TV's in 16:9 setting (which sounds correct, but turns out it is not) the TV will actually zoom in a bit, which throws things off. So I changed it to 'Screen Fit' and it's like a night and day jump in visual fidelity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I was obsessively manipulating my Bravia's picture settings for my One X for weeks until I caved and set picture mode to Auto and it's 1000 times better.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

~death to capitalism~
Chrome OS is shit
Every DSA is a cop

Tumble posted:

Haha, I just upgraded the visuals on my xboxo by... changing the TV to the right setting. I bought a nice 3D LED tv off Craigslist a few months back (not for the 3D stuff, because I looked at the reviews and they all said it had beautiful picture quality and it was $175) and I for a while I thought it was just displaying the xbox more "accurately" and that was the reason things looked a bit more pixelated.

Then I got Watch Dogs 2 (on sale for like $16.00 at Wal-Mart btw) and a lot of the UI was cut off, so I searched online and it said "check your picture settings" and low and behold when the TV's in 16:9 setting (which sounds correct, but turns out it is not) the TV will actually zoom in a bit, which throws things off. So I changed it to 'Screen Fit' and it's like a night and day jump in visual fidelity.

Yeah a lot of TVs got a lot of things that are set to do overscan for some bizarre reason without outright saying it's overscan, so you have to gently caress around with seemingly unrelated settings to get it to just show the dang image.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Turn off everything that sounds like it requires processing power cause that = delay. Sharpness is a big one.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

fishmech posted:

Yeah a lot of TVs got a lot of things that are set to do overscan for some bizarre reason without outright saying it's overscan, so you have to gently caress around with seemingly unrelated settings to get it to just show the dang image.

Yea, this one has the first option as "16:9" and well, that's what the TV is so it seems like that would be the correct option but for some strange reason that actually zooms it in slightly. "Screen Fit" sounds like the option that would be stretching and zooming the picture but that's actually the correct option.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I would bet money that they still default to overscan because people with VCR's will complain that the bottom of the picture is distorted.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

~death to capitalism~
Chrome OS is shit
Every DSA is a cop

univbee posted:

I would bet money that they still default to overscan because people with VCR's will complain that the bottom of the picture is distorted.

If someone has a VCR around modded for HDMI output, well, I'd be impressed.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

fishmech posted:

There were a few VCR/DVD combo units with HDMI out towards the end of VHS's lifespan.
https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DVR6.../dp/B001TOD3KU/

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

I like the warmth and compression you get from a VCR. Digital just doesn't have that soul.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

Winner of the "Poor Games Poster" avatar.

Do any of you guys have the course dlc for tiger woods 14 that you would let me log on to grab?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Empress Brosephine posted:

Do any of you guys have the course dlc for tiger woods 14 that you would let me log on to grab?

Doesn't Microsoft remove the DLCs entirely? I know for the Forza series, once the license is up for a DLC, you can't even download it anymore.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

Winner of the "Poor Games Poster" avatar.

Thatís lame

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.

Grimey Drawer

Beastie posted:

I was obsessively manipulating my Bravia's picture settings for my One X for weeks until I caved and set picture mode to Auto and it's 1000 times better.

People complain about TV default settings on the internet endlessly so I spent close to an hour meticulously going through a calibration test and ended up with settings that were very slightly different than the defaults. I think all I ended up doing was setting the color temperature to neutral and changing the contrast from 100 to 98.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Monday_ posted:

People complain about TV default settings on the internet endlessly so I spent close to an hour meticulously going through a calibration test and ended up with settings that were very slightly different than the defaults. I think all I ended up doing was setting the color temperature to neutral and changing the contrast from 100 to 98.

I had done the same thing but each game had washouts of white or black. Now on auto it adjusts for HDR and 4K so it looks really loving good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

~~~~~~K.I.D.S.~~~~~~

CLUNK! CLUNK! CLUNK! CLUNK!

If anyone wants a copy of State of Decay complete edition PM me.

E: claimed

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at May 25, 2018 around 02:27

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I already have it on game pass my friend but thank you for the offer of the bad tedium simulator

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

If anyone wants a copy of State of Decay complete edition PM me.

eh sure pm sent

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MFW someone mentions my collection of graphics cards.

Real hurthling! posted:

I already have it on game pass my friend but thank you for the offer of the bad tedium simulator

No thanks Iíll pass games pass

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

ethanol posted:

No thanks Iíll pass games pass

"Guys, I don't play bad games. If you need me, I am playing Sea of Thieves."

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I played some dead rising instead its like state of decay but fun

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

like and subscribe for more passive-aggressive roadway bullshit adventure in Chigcao

What's a decent deal on an XboneX? It looks like there was one that was ~382, once, some kind of sale, but mostly they're about $400 with a game or a gift card. Is this reasonable, is there a better deal, am I missing something?

Also, gently caress advertisers that advertise things like: "Xbox One X...box one haha we just repeated it so you'd think it was an xbox one x in the title".

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Even $400 is $100 lower than the regular price and that's without gift card/game. At this stage you might as well wait for E3 and see if any deals spring up from that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really good penis

Krakkles posted:

What's a decent deal on an XboneX? It looks like there was one that was ~382, once, some kind of sale, but mostly they're about $400 with a game or a gift card. Is this reasonable, is there a better deal, am I missing something?

Also, gently caress advertisers that advertise things like: "Xbox One X...box one haha we just repeated it so you'd think it was an xbox one x in the title".

The best deal on an XBonX is to not buy one

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Krakkles posted:

I got one for $380 a few weeks ago with one of the eBay 20% off coupons and havenít even opened it yet. In retrospect, I should have waited until E3 to see if any kind of special edition/bundle is announced but instead I decided it was a good idea to spend $400 to play Red Dead Redemption 1 in 4K.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at May 25, 2018 around 23:41

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

Anyone know if it’s easy to hack a 360 these days?

My friend did that many years ago, he took it to some local modder he found online who did it for a few bucks. Within a few months though, somehow Microsoft detected it and banned the console from Xbox Live lol so be careful.

fishmech posted:

Well, my Xbox looks like a VCR.

«106 »