Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Stux posted:

in japan i dunno if its MD cratering, the sms wasnt exactly incredible there. more just a steady upward trend across the three

You're in the UK, right? I think we had a 50/50 split between SNES and MD over here? I remember one friend had a MD and would want to come to my house on the weekend because he loved playing Mario Kart, and I wanted to go to his because I loved playing Streets of Rage. Nicer times :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

Maybe we'll finally get Sonic Mania 2 :D

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah although where iw as it felt mostly MD. my one friend had a snes and i would go round hers to play smw and she'd come over to play golden axe it owned

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

gently caress I forgot about Golden Axe. It was on those 6-in-1 or 3-in-1 cartridges that Sega did, wasn't it? Man that poo poo was awesome. Remember one time playing that and my friends parents went out so we immediately raided the liquor cabinet and found their Aliens VHS :D

Weird reading about the Sega Saturn being successful because it genuinely felt dead over here. It was rare to even find a store selling the console/games for it. Most people I knew had a PlayStation and then a minority who had rich parents or were just plain spoiled had an N64. An independent gaming store in town had a setup where you could go in and pay so much to get 30/60 minutes with any console or game of your choice and that was the first time I got to play Mario 64 and it owned, even though I had no idea what to do against the boss. Still didn't beat the awesomeness of Twisted Metal 2, though. That was such a good splitscreen game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saturn was a success (or at least significantly better than the MD) in Japan, which is what Sega wanted. Turns out, though, getting blown out in all other markets and having terrible business decisions to compound it is real real bad and not worth that improvement.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i had the single cart golden axe, had altered beast and space harrier as well lol

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

MD even had the cooler cases for their games rather than the cardboard boxes Nintendo used. Did you ever upgrade your MD with any add-ons? I saw a pic somewhere with the Sega CD & 32X and then a Game Genie (I think?) and those Sonic cartridges that plugged into each other lol. Think it was probably taller than the Series X when you took it all the way.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I thank God every day my latent homoeroticism was awakened in me by the first stage of transformation into a huge buff dude in Altered Beast on the Sega mega drive without ever turning me into a furry or dragonkin as part of the final step

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The only good Japanese games are Nintendo first party titles. Everything else is Anime rubbish with terrible UIs, worse gameplay and insanely poor story telling. Kojima included. MGS was OK tho

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Laserface posted:

The only good Japanese games are Nintendo first party titles. Everything else is Anime rubbish with terrible UIs, worse gameplay and insanely poor story telling. Kojima included. MGS was OK tho

Platinum Games make really awesome games like Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising & Vanquish. Capcom is hit-or-miss but have put out some great titles such as Monster Hunter World, DMC5 and RE2:Remake. Cave used to make amazing shmups. Suda 51 has sadly lost it but Killer7 is a classic imo. Arc System Works make amazing fighting games and sure Guilty Gear is anime but it owns so hard. From Software blessed the world with Chromehounds, Bloodborne & Dark Souls 3.

Edit: I forgot Katamari what the gently caress :negative:

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 2, 2020

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Barudak posted:

Saturn was a success (or at least significantly better than the MD) in Japan, which is what Sega wanted. Turns out, though, getting blown out in all other markets and having terrible business decisions to compound it is real real bad and not worth that improvement.

The Saturn in Japan had the benefit of launching with Virtua Fighter, which at the time was extremely popular in the region. I don't remember VF being that popular in the US when I was growing up; anecdotally, I recall the VF1 machine at a local arcade barely got any traffic compared to the SF2 and MK2 machines. I don't think people there started caring about 3D fighting games until the first Tekken game. It probably would've done better if Squaresoft or Enix released their big RPGs of the time on the platform, but alas.

If only Sega of Japan and Sega of America weren't so busy fighting each other over direction of their console market. But also I tend to blame Sega of America in most retrospective looks at that era because they refused to bring over a lot of Sega of Japan's arcade ports more unique 2D Saturn games during the Genesis and Saturn eras and those are my jam.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sega of Japan's fighting franchise was Virtua Fighter, Sega of America's was Eternal Champions. Sega of Japan pulled rank and canceled the Saturn sequel to Eternal Champions specifically so that Sega would only have one fighting game franchise on the saturn, Virtua Fighter.

Sega was run by some absurdly petty people.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Platinum Games make really awesome games like Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising & Vanquish. Capcom is hit-or-miss but have put out some great titles such as Monster Hunter World, DMC5 and RE2:Remake. Cave used to make amazing shmups. Suda 51 has sadly lost it but Killer7 is a classic imo. Arc System Works make amazing fighting games and sure Guilty Gear is anime but it owns so hard. From Software blessed the world with Chromehounds, Bloodborne & Dark Souls 3.

Edit: I forgot Katamari what the gently caress :negative:

DMC on PS2 was pretty chill yeah.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sega japan rejected the sonic bible. Monsters

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I don’t think there’s any existing brand that could actually enter the Japanese market as a viable third option unless it was something like Game Freak busting out and limiting Pokémon to their own console or something insane like that.

Microsoft had their shot and blew it. Nobody here is clamoring for a new player in the game. Cell phones are already eroding the player base. Nintendo struck gold and has the IPs, PlayStation will always have the hardcores. There’s no more room until we see another technological revolution like cell phone gaming.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

PS4s aren't exactly flying off the shelves in Japan so I'm not sure what market there is for Xboxes.

Probably a good idea to get devs on board for games that make it out of Japan though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

Sega japan rejected the sonic bible. Monsters

Not anime enough.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

univbee posted:

Someone under NDA talked a little about SEGA’s news and confirmed it didn’t involve Microsoft.
https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/status/1268029643392778242

I really hope this isn't actually what everyone was waiting for lol.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SEGA took one look at Sony's fuckup with the PS1 Classic and decided to outdo them spectacularly.

The console is available in four different colors, around $50 each.

Each color has its own exclusive set of 4 games.

If you buy all four, you get the magnifier attachment free.

There are two collector's sets: one comes with all four consoles and I think some mini-boxes of all the games to look at. The other comes with all four consoles and a fifth "smoke" console color but it's non-working, it's just a display model. The sets are in the realm of $300 each.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
gamegear smol
xbox hueg

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Who even has nostalgia for a Game Gear, I had that thing as young teenager and it loving sucked except for the novelty of the TV tuner.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Healbot posted:

Who even has nostalgia for a Game Gear, I had that thing as young teenager and it loving sucked except for the novelty of the TV tuner.

I especially loved the batteries lasting all of 8 minutes

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's nice that the finally built a console for ants.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sega's actual big announcement was a cloud gaming service with arcade machines as the servers, lmfao. Cool.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Healbot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n3BMeLZr-A

Barudak
May 7, 2007

American McGay posted:

Sega's actual big announcement was a cloud gaming service with arcade machines as the servers, lmfao. Cool.

Its sillier than that, its a way to play open arcade machines at home against only other arcade machine users, not console users. It is the most Japanese of scoops

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So Sega japan is still self defeating and stupid after all these years.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

BonoMan posted:

I especially loved the batteries lasting all of 8 minutes

6 AAAs that I had to have in constant rotation. Eventually gave up and just played it tethered to a power plug. And then used my allowance to get a game boy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

So Sega japan is still self defeating and stupid after all these years.

Kind of, but in a "why would consumers want this" sort of way. For arcade owners its an additional revenue stream when units are not in use and for Sega its a reason to buy Sega machines since operators know theres some additional income. The issue is as a consumer you are paying for the worst of both worlds since you get the small player pool of arcade users with the cheaper hardware of whatever you have at home.

I also guarantee its netcode is only built and tested for Tokyo and Osaka and will work like absolute dogshit unless you are also in those places.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
How is that minuscule Game Gear not a joke? You couldn’t dream up a worse gaming idea. I dare you.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fly Ricky posted:

How is that minuscule Game Gear not a joke? You couldn’t dream up a worse gaming idea. I dare you.

how about naming the third xbox, xbox one

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

This isnt even Sega's worst hardware launch

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Barudak posted:

Yeah where's the competing product from Sega of America

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Imagine doing game gear before Dreamcast.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Veib posted:

Yeah where's the competing product from Sega of America

Seriously, this game gear might only be the fourth worst hardware launch by Sega and thats giving them a pass on tbe Sega CD as the launch wasnt its issue

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

how about naming the third xbox, xbox one

I concede.

Barudak posted:

And have a short memory.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Anyway their actual "big news" was leveraging the power of the cloud fog, by letting arcade owners have their arcade hardware leveraged after hours.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Smart

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
A failing videogames division propped up by a failing cloud computing scheme?

I thought they said this wasn't Microsoft related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Microsoft is a cloud company thanks to Azure and Windows/Office are a side business