Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
So does that permanent height thing work or nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is that the virgin side of the chad meme

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

That’s a real Tweet from their actual account. I didn’t believe it at first. I guess someone there has a sense of humor.

Some of the Xbox brand accounts seem to have people managing them who can get a little out there, which at the very least is a refreshing change from boring serious tweeting. Xbox France can also get a bit oddball. It seems less frequent now than in the past, but here's one where they consider what the French conjugation for "to loot" would be.

https://twitter.com/XboxFR/status/1280819857962020865?s=20

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fly Ricky posted:

That’s a real Tweet from their actual account. I didn’t believe it at first. I guess someone there has a sense of humor.

Looking at that Tweet gets me to the opposite conclusion; this is some real forced marketing humor.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Is that the virgin side of the chad meme

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I just thought of this yesterday, but does anyone remember the Xbox 360 design first being leaked in full, on this very forum?
https://web.archive.org/web/20050424034548/http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000293041091
(archive.org link as the story on Engadget itself doesn't seem to include images anymore).

The first version of that image came from here. You can scroll down in the comments and see a couple of references.

Now there was something a bit different about the first image posted here, and from what I remember was in the image first posted by Engadget before they quickly were able to source an unchanged version of the image.

Anyone else remember what that was?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

😘

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol in no universe would I ever consider PS Now the chad version of anything

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

PS Now, the exclusive streaming home of Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard, Dark Sector, Champion Jockey and Quantum Theory.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Red Warrior posted:

I just thought of this yesterday, but does anyone remember the Xbox 360 design first being leaked in full, on this very forum?
https://web.archive.org/web/20050424034548/http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000293041091
(archive.org link as the story on Engadget itself doesn't seem to include images anymore).

The first version of that image came from here. You can scroll down in the comments and see a couple of references.

Now there was something a bit different about the first image posted here, and from what I remember was in the image first posted by Engadget before they quickly were able to source an unchanged version of the image.

I can't believe I remember this, but I'm 99% sure that the image from here had a massive watermark across the entire thing that said "MY GIRLFRIEND". It was a games meme at the time iirc.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Red Warrior posted:

My girlfriend

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

acksplode posted:

I can't believe I remember this, but I'm 99% sure that the image from here had a massive watermark across the entire thing that said "MY GIRLFRIEND". It was a games meme at the time iirc.

Yep, you got it, glad someone else remembered. What a time.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pretty sure it was qirex himself who leaked it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Fame Douglas posted:

Looking at that Tweet gets me to the opposite conclusion; this is some real forced marketing humor.

Well I didn’t say they had a “good” sense of humor... Even forced wackiness is a step away from the typical lack of self awareness most major gaming brands exhibit (Nintendo being the obvious outlier).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I missed something, what happened that had people ripping on Xbox over this logo?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It used to be Xlogo XBOX GAMEPASS
and now its Xlogo GAMEPASS
But still called "xbox gamepass"

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
More evidence that something is happening in the near future to Xbox Live.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1290726377570803712

Fun Mixer cameo in that paragraph, too.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i have to wonder if they shut down xbox live for the 360 when they make whatever changes they are planning to make

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i have to wonder if they shut down xbox live for the 360 when they make whatever changes they are planning to make

Given that they just redid the 360 BC store backend stuff, that would be a very strange move.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i guess so, and the last few times i played 360 games online there still seemed to be a fair amount of activity so maybe they're still making enough money to make it worth keeping up, or alternatively maybe when they redid the xbox live infrastructure after the original xbox live got taken down they did so in a way to make it completely trivial to keep the 360 servers up. it's just that it's been 15 years so i'm always a bit afraid that it'll be taken down. hopefully it stays running for another 15 years or whatever.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
https://twitter.com/RIPyourfav/status/1288446509567168512?s=20

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The "Xbox Live" branding is way outdated, of course they're changing it.

Free multiplayer on consoles should be the expected baseline, but I'm skeptical MS is willing to give up all that revenue.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

univbee posted:

Comic Sans

yeah that's them memeing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Them outright killing online play on 360 would be a strange move for them. They made a big deal about BC XB1 users playing on the same servers as 360 users with the same experience, I think at least some of their titles still have a decent population playing online (who are still willing to pay $60 a year to do so). Sony would probably have an easier time justifying killing PS3 servers universally because users aren't paying to use those and off the top of my head I don't think any of the PS3 titles on PS Now are doing much for online, they're mostly single player experiences. And all the Naughty Dog PS3 servers are already shut down so there's that too.

If Microsoft was going to shut down the 360 servers I think they'd have to give a far more generous lead time than the 3-4 months OG Xbox users got.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

univbee posted:

If Microsoft was going to shut down the 360 servers I think they'd have to give a far more generous lead time than the 3-4 months OG Xbox users got.

I can't imagine a company running their own serious AWS competitor fretting over the cost of a relatively small population of legacy console servers, but what do I know.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Smugworth posted:

I can't imagine a company running their own serious AWS competitor fretting over the cost of a relatively small population of legacy console servers, but what do I know.

I think it’s not so much the server costs as it is the cost of the support personnel. Running a game server means needing to do tech support and all sorts of other things (e.g. managing an official forum) that start to get impractical when your active population is a double-digit number of broke-brains who never got a new console or even a different game.

univbee fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 5, 2020

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Since my PS3 was ready to go I fired up Black Ops 3 on it and got into a full match right away. Only 4 playlists had anyone in them, mind you.

There are 2701 people playing PS3 Black Ops2 right now too. Almost all playing Team Deathmatch, though.

EDIT there are nearly 200K people playing MW3 PS3, whoa. If the XB360 numbers are similar that’s 12 million US dollars annually for XBLG for those players. I guess the neat thing is that MS likely has loads of historical activity data and could get an exact number of how many people are exclusively playing that and nothing else, that could be enough money that they don’t want to kill those servers anytime soon.

I guess there’s also the 360 Halo games. Even though MCC exists I think they’d have a hard time killing the 360 Halo 3 servers, that game alone caused so many XBLG sign-ups by itself that they can probably keep those servers going forever.

univbee fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 5, 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
360 Live will never die because 360 is still the high water mark for Xbox and Microsoft will never let that happen.

PS3 online will probably get axed in 2021.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1291054286235938816?s=20
:shrug:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zerot posted:

More evidence that something is happening in the near future to Xbox Live.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1290726377570803712

Fun Mixer cameo in that paragraph, too.

Won't this essentially bump the price of multiplayer on Xbox from $60 a year to as much as $120 a year for the default pricing of Gamepass?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

360 Live will never die because 360 is still the high water mark for Xbox and Microsoft will never let that happen.

PS3 online will probably get axed in 2021.

My understanding is that PS3/Vita/PS4 are all the same online service, so this might not happen.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That's assuming that Live is being rolled into Game Pass and not being made free.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My guess is that they're going to go the PS4 route and allow some things to be free, namely F2P games and demo/beta access of stuff. Given there are a number of people who probably are subbed to Gold exclusively to play Fortnite they are probably trying to avoid scenarios where someone tops up on a year of Gold and then almost immediately no longer needs it.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Won't this essentially bump the price of multiplayer on Xbox from $60 a year to as much as $120 a year for the default pricing of Gamepass?

I think it's more likely that online play will be free in the future than online play being part of Game Pass.

univbee posted:

My guess is that they're going to go the PS4 route and allow some things to be free, namely F2P games and demo/beta access of stuff. Given there are a number of people who probably are subbed to Gold exclusively to play Fortnite they are probably trying to avoid scenarios where someone tops up on a year of Gold and then almost immediately no longer needs it.

There have been enough insiders say that this isn't likely to happen that I doubt that this is the case. But who knows? We might find out this month!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zerot posted:

I think it's more likely that online play will be free in the future than online play being part of Game Pass.

There have been enough insiders say that this isn't likely to happen that I doubt that this is the case. But who knows? We might find out this month!

I would like that more, push Game Pass really hard instead as the best way to play Microsofts AAA games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zerot posted:

I mean Xbox Insiders said the same thing about Kinect, always-online DRM, and Gold being required for Netflix and Internet Explorer, which was the case until it very suddenly wasn't.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

I mean Xbox Insiders said the same thing about Kinect, always-online DRM, and Gold being required for Netflix and Internet Explorer, which was the case until it very suddenly wasn't.

At least the first two things were reported in the press before Microsoft announced it.

Insiders can be wrong, they can have faulty sources, or can have incomplete or out of date information. It does seem like Xbox Live Gold is going to go through a shake-up of some kind, and free online play makes a lot of sense with Play Anywhere being a major initiative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe they just dont want to sell gold at that long term 12 month rate anymore.