Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Real hurthling! posted:

4k blew me away its much sharper and hdr on an oled is amazing

it's loving awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Real hurthling! posted:

4k blew me away its much sharper and hdr on an oled is amazing
RDR2 on Xbox One X and a 65" LG C9 OLED is the best looking video game I've ever seen.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

4K is absolutely a significant bump in resolution even outside of what those loving stupid rear end 'viewing distance' charts on hifi forums will lead you to believe.

Im sitting 1m beyond what is apparently where the human eye can see 4k at and it is night and loving day with my old 1080P panel. Im nearsighted so wear -2.5 contact lenses too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

infraboy posted:

Once you see perfect blacks you can’t go back.
I remember when those first pioneer TVs were 10000$ its pretty amazing that the current lg OLEDs are around 2000-2500$ (65inch)

Its amazing how half the screen can look like its off and half is seering your eyes in like a torchlit cave scene. Its so black it reflects just like if it was unplugged

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I pre ordered a PS5 and I’m not going to pre order the Series X.

I’m just not feeling a real reason to upgrade from my One X especially since I have a gaming PC as well.

I love my One X and would have upgraded but meh. Just not feeling it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

doingitwrong posted:

My recollection is that for a long time 360 was outselling PS3 but then at the end of the generation, PS3 caught up and eventually surpassed. Is that right?

Yes but also the console cost them like a billion dollars due to the RROD issue so even if Sony had sold exactly 1 ps3 they'd have made more profit then MS did from the 360

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

I pre ordered a PS5 and I’m not going to pre order the Series X.

I’m just not feeling a real reason to upgrade from my One X especially since I have a gaming PC as well.

I love my One X and would have upgraded but meh. Just not feeling it.

1x got done so dirty
They should have cut the xb1 loose in 2018, launched the 1x as a non "one" product with a better cpu than jaguarc, had it all backward compat etc and launched with a bunch of big splash games that could only be on that console.

Take the wind out of ps4's last few years a little bit, build hype, and then now release a pro version of that console.

Instead they made it just to start talking about power instead of getting destroyed over it but never really supported it, tied it to the failed "one" line, held it back in cpu, and allowed garbage like pubg's port to define their launch.

And then they just up and kill it.

Idgi at all

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nuts and Gum posted:

Yeah, it took several revisions to get the cost down. Also devs eventually figured out how to hack poo poo together against the atrocity of the CELL PROCESSOR

My dad was a FIFA dev back in 2005-06 and flat out told me to get a 360 instead of PS3 since the cell was such a piece of poo poo. It ended up being the only PS I never bought.

He also hated the Wii too but that sold fine.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Not sure why but PS4 HDR looks much better than Xbox HDR on my LG oled. Lost Legacy blew my mind. May just be a settings/calibration thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did you test with the same game?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Not sure why but PS4 HDR looks much better than Xbox HDR on my LG oled. Lost Legacy blew my mind. May just be a settings/calibration thing.

The xbox crushes blacks

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Xbox Live Arcade was really a pretty incredible thing when it was new, small file size limits aside. It allowed tiny developers to release games into a huge console market and larger devs to port old arcade game and and sell them for 5 bucks each without any overhead of getting them on store shelves.

Then it kept getting worse. Then they segmented the whole idea into Arcade, Games on Demand, and Indies, each with its own specific rules of what could be on it.

It really felt like MS took the 360’s first couple successful years and then did everything in its power to sabotage it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Probably 90% of my 360 era gaming was spent with XBLA games, which is also why I really appreciate and enjoy Microsoft's commitment to back compat.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Cojawfee posted:

lmao

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Stux posted:

why not just wait and buy a console later why does everyone have a rush to buy consoles at their most expensive, before anyone knows if the launch units have some horrible issue, and when there is absolutely nothing to play on them. even if you want a launch title, its not going anywhere.

For anyone with a good memory, when Sony announced new PS3 models would no longer include the PS2 hardware or BC, was it still easy to find a BC-capable PS3 for a while?

The launch PS3 is the only argument in favor of getting a console at launch, since the BC feature was eventually cut out. Still, if you had ample notice it was getting removed and could easily pick one up before they sold out, then even that isn't an argument in favor of buying at launch.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Ray tracing features will be available upon release for the PlayStation®5 version, and will be added to the Xbox Series X version in a downloadable patch post release.

Very odd. Platform limited graphical upgrades, or issues with Microsoft devkits?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I really doubt it's problems with MS dev kits, it's probably just a case of knowing where their bread's buttered and allocating resource to get PS5 done and locked in first.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Cojawfee posted:

The only game I have on both is rs siege and no HDR there.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

can we not actively lie to other posters about there being no difference between the Series S and Series X? that'd be good

from Series X ($499 big xbox) to Series S ($299 small xbox) they go from:

CPU: 3.8GHz (3.6GHz w/ SMT) -> 3.6GHz (3.4GHz w/ SMT) (so cpu is a bit weaker)
GPU: 52 CUs at 1.825GHz -> 20 CUs at 1.565GHz (majorly gimped gpu)
GPU Power: 12.15 TFlops -> 4 TFlops (dumb measurement but architectural like for like at least)
Storage: 1TB -> 512GB (and removing the disc drive)
RAM: 16GB GDDR6 -> 10GB GGDR6 (significantly cut down)

But the RAM gets complicated now as for the Series X they're running the 16GB at 2 different speeds (10GB at 560GB/s, 6GB at 336GB/s - 2.5GB held on the slower part for the OS). on the Series S it's 8GB at 224GB/s, 2GB at 56GB/s. Not quite sure how if they're just not reserving 2.5GB for the OS on the S model, but they're locking themselves down on feature parity at the OS-layer from the get-go. for context the ps5 has 16GB at 448GB/s with no segmentation

specs are from their announcement: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-series-s-launching-november-10/ (see https://news.xbox.com/en-us/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/09/Tech-Specs-1.jpg)

and yes to clarify the only ps5 difference between skus is the disc drive, as opposed to... the above

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The fact that you can buy 3 years worth of pc Gamepass beta pricing, upgrade it to ultimate for a dollar and then have 3 years of A to Triple A videogames for maybe the cost of 2 or 3 retail games is too insane of a value proposition to ignore for me.

So I'm going to go Series X for the Living Room and PC upstairs. Gamepass plus 3 years of games with gold is basically a steal and given PS5 games are gonna be 125 AUD retail makes the PS5 essentially burning money in comparison unless you specifically care about Souls games.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yeah but none of those gamepass games are Demon Souls or a God of War sequel :smug:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yakuza 0 is better than both those games.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
We all choose the world we live in, I suppose.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Stux posted:

why not just wait and buy a console later why does everyone have a rush to buy consoles at their most expensive, before anyone knows if the launch units have some horrible issue, and when there is absolutely nothing to play on them. even if you want a launch title, its not going anywhere.

Real answer, my OG PS4 is dying, and paying $200ish now for a system at the end of its life when the new one can play the same games seems foolish. My Xbox One X is still relatively new, so I’m holding onto it for awhile.

It doesn’t hurt that I spend my Gamepass time playing indies that are already looking great on the X.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 17, 2020

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
This is the weakness of those "mid generation refresh" consoles. Having a fairly new console like the Xbox One X that is competing directly with the XSS and has access to all the same Gamepass stuff as the higher end XSX means a harder sell to people who have recently (within 2 years or so) purchased an X1X. The PS4 Pro being relatively worse than the X1X and less successful considering userbase sizes ironically probably helps out the PS5, although with some big titles being cross gen with the PS4 anyway we'll see..

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Anidav posted:

Yakuza 0 is better than both those games.

you could just buy that

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Or I could pay 180 dollars for 3 years worth of good games.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Anidav posted:

name one

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Dragon Quest 11

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Anidav posted:

Dragon Quest 11

The 3DS game?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Anidav posted:

LMAO

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I too laugh at people being smart with their money.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Anidav posted:

I too laugh at people being smart with their money.

You're buying a Series X.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The most powerful next-gen console available.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'm just buying a Sega

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

LOL I literally can't think of a single reason to buy an Xbox Series X now, and around six months ago I was actually hyped about it.

I'm more excited about getting new games for my Nintendo Switch.

Good job Microsoft!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

D1E posted:

LOL I literally can't think of a single reason to buy an Xbox Series X now, and around six months ago I was actually hyped about it.

I'm more excited about getting new games for my Nintendo Switch.

Good job Microsoft!

Cannot loving believe I'm looking at my shelf like "if I could just keep one, it would be the nintablet"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Anidav posted:

The fact that you can buy 3 years worth of pc Gamepass beta pricing, upgrade it to ultimate for a dollar and then have 3 years of A to Triple A videogames for maybe the cost of 2 or 3 retail games is too insane of a value proposition to ignore for me.

So I'm going to go Series X for the Living Room and PC upstairs. Gamepass plus 3 years of games with gold is basically a steal and given PS5 games are gonna be 125 AUD retail makes the PS5 essentially burning money in comparison unless you specifically care about Souls games.
Hell yeah brother. Use this to get that Series X (the most powerful gaming console in history btw) for only $450.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1306569334215507968?s=19

Edit; just saw you're down under. Goondolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Euphoriaphone posted:

For anyone with a good memory, when Sony announced new PS3 models would no longer include the PS2 hardware or BC, was it still easy to find a BC-capable PS3 for a while?

The launch PS3 is the only argument in favor of getting a console at launch, since the BC feature was eventually cut out. Still, if you had ample notice it was getting removed and could easily pick one up before they sold out, then even that isn't an argument in favor of buying at launch.

It was easy to get them, that’s when I jumped in. They were on clearance at steep discounts.