Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

8 billion for the games they already were getting and had gotten is a big ms energy move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's nice to know these consoles are much better comparatively than the current gen systems were at launch. I know the Xbox One was always considered underpowered, and 10% of its GPU was reserved for Kinect, but was the PS4 also considered a disappointing showing in 2013, or was that just in relation to the Jaguar CPUs?

As a primarily PC guy at the time that the last gen launched, and a half-console gamer now:

My PC in 2013 was solidly midrange and more powerful than the consoles in every way. Nothing in it was very expensive, neither console had any BC so it wasn't like buying either would let me play the big 360/PS3 libraries. 2500K, R9-290, SSD. The only thing that I've changed in the last 7 years is a GPU side-grade to a 1060 and faster RAM, heh.

Now, it takes a WAY more expensive GPU than mine was comparatively back then to match the consoles, and the backwards compat on both of them is incredibly valuable.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

8 billion for the games they already were getting and had gotten is a big ms energy move

Bethesda games have, generally, not stayed on the service for very long. They tend to cycle in and out.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm just so tired of all these cloud wars.

Begun the Cloud Wars has

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Do not play Fallout 76.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
The annoying one for me is Pillars of Eternity 2. The first one is on GP and I just finished it and now I want to play #2.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I completely forgot that fallout 76 was on gamepass.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

univbee posted:

Oh yeah, apparently it was a 20:1 pre-order ratio between the Series X and Series S. Glad next gen is getting hosed by like 12 people.

I said it before that the PS4\Xbox were designed during a recession and it showed then. S is truly a product of that anticipation hit. The financial state of people are far more perilous than american are admitting to themselves and even going out on a limb for a S with the all in package is probably those 12 people most extravagant purchase of the year even if its just 25 dollars a month.

I'm sure S will eventually disappear and be replaced by some sort of V tier to finally bring some type of VR to xbox. Without a drive, naturally.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 25, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's nice to know these consoles are much better comparatively than the current gen systems were at launch. I know the Xbox One was always considered underpowered, and 10% of its GPU was reserved for Kinect, but was the PS4 also considered a disappointing showing in 2013, or was that just in relation to the Jaguar CPUs?

no, unless you only looked at raw specs without any other understanding the spec was fine, the CPUs were completely nullified by the gpgpu implementation which is why there were tons of particle systems not being matched by PCs at the time and in some cases still arent, and the memory architecture still isnt something you can get close to on pc and is being carried over to the series x and ps5. the xbone was only underpowered because it was in comparison to a console that was cheaper than it while having some extra gpu power, and because of the weird memory situation.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Safe to assume fallout 76 is coming to gamepass soon too? Bethesda is perfect for it because most of their recent games are too lovely to buy but I'm always curious about them. Didn't even give doom eternal a shot since doom 2016 didn't grab my interest for long.

fallout 76 has had free weekends, its utter garbage. idk what to say about doom bcos both 2016 and eternal are incredible.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Stux posted:

no, unless you only looked at raw specs without any other understanding the spec was fine, the CPUs were completely nullified by the gpgpu implementation which is why there were tons of particle systems not being matched by PCs at the time and in some cases still arent, and the memory architecture still isnt something you can get close to on pc and is being carried over to the series x and ps5. the xbone was only underpowered because it was in comparison to a console that was cheaper than it while having some extra gpu power, and because of the weird memory situation.

fallout 76 has had free weekends, its utter garbage. idk what to say about doom bcos both 2016 and eternal are incredible.

You mean ESRAM?

Seconding Doom + Eternal by the way, wife got it for me, it owns bones. It's fecking lethal in parts though. Maybe I'm just getting :corsair:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Eternal basically requires a KB+M. Its total lack of regard for gamepad users is a rare joy.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Stux posted:

For doom I just found it a bit too repetitive and no compelling plot to experience. I appreciate a plot generally. Doesn't help that I struggle with hectic games due to nerve damage in my hands.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You mean ESRAM?

Seconding Doom + Eternal by the way, wife got it for me, it owns bones. It's fecking lethal in parts though. Maybe I'm just getting :corsair:

yeah the esram caused issues with fitting in a 1080p frame buffer, and it existed because ms werent willing to just go for gddr5 like sony and used regular ddr3. it was an extremely short term view, it saved them money in the first 12 months and then once gddr5 dropped in price it ended up costing more than just using the faster memory because the esram made the die gigantic and hard to manufacture.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

TheScott2K posted:

Eternal basically requires a KB+M. Its total lack of regard for gamepad users is a rare joy.

While it's certainly easier w/KB+M I played it on my XboneX with not much issue (on Hurt Me Plenty). But there is an adjustment period, and it likely turns into a true struggle on the harder difficulties.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Now, it takes a WAY more expensive GPU than mine was comparatively back then to match the consoles

this probably wouldve been true before the 3000 series but not so much now

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Last generation was comical because, for once, the two systems were extremely easy to directly compare instead of being two equally unusual multi-core cell/power designs, and the bone was unambiguously worse except for TV and SPORTS (and Kinect!).

The only disappointment I recall was that Microsoft steered the ship so hard toward that entertainment-focused iceberg, that they made a games console that couldn't do 1080p.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Ok Comboomer posted:

The solution there is to not get Assassin’s Creed

But I want to be a viking that dual wields shields and fucks everything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom 5 is definitely in contention for my game of the generation its just so ding dang good.

I hardly ever replay games but I did two runs including Ultraviolence and its just so good. Difficulty being tied to enemies ability to attack you and nothing else just makes it so dang satisfying to improve skill wise.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Xbox Wire: Will all Storage Expansion Cards come from Seagate or could we see them from other companies as well?

Jason Ronald: Seagate, with a storied history as a critical innovator in the storage industry, was our first choice to collaborate with to provide expandable storage solutions for the Xbox Velocity Architecture. Xbox is continuing to invest in the Expandable Storage category on Xbox Series X|S with goal of offering choice for Xbox fans, including additional capacities and implementations in the future.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah that means nothing, and youre just not going to hit the same scale on special xbox drives as you will on normal computer components everyone will be using

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zerot posted:

It's on Game Pass for both console and PC right now.

I tried playing FO76 in the last month and bounced off it after the tutorial. It was beyond boring and pointless.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I mean they also can’t say ‘don’t buy from the people we’ve partnered with because there’ll be choice in 6 months’, so just kind of a pointless question to ask as they’re just going to talk themselves out of it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I tried playing FO76 in the last month and bounced off it after the tutorial. It was beyond boring and pointless.

It was a packin with by BoneX and yeah, I got to the very first place outside the tutorial vault and never turned it back on

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/xenosaga7/status/1309103698455470080?s=19

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I could buy a $350AUD 1TB SSD or I can continue to use my 1TB 970evo in USB caddy connected to my xbox one X as cold storage.

moving games from an SSD to the internal Velocity SSD is not going to take huge amounts of time unless MS has done something loving stupid again like how they only used SATAII ports on the Xbones HDD interface (which is why games load faster from external drives)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

uh if you cant afford a $350 1tb ssd add on i think you have bigger worries than playing freaking video games

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Stux posted:

uh if you cant afford a $350 1tb ssd add on i think you have bigger worries than playing freaking video games

Sometimes people can afford things but will still choose not to buy them. In fact, this happens quite often.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Sometimes people can afford things but will still choose not to buy them. In fact, this happens quite often.

cmon u were here for it right

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

i think that's a callback to mr 'buy it all' mc richie pants.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

it's okay i'll put it on my koala kard.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

They're called dollarydoos, seppo

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

hambeet posted:

i think that's a callback to mr 'buy it all' mc richie pants.

Not sure if this is me but I only have money because I had the misfortune of growing up in a corrupt money laundering hub and sold my lovely apartment for 200% profit in 2018. Have never made more than $55k salary and I'm 40.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I was using rewards points to pay for my gamepass, which I let lapse.
I instantly put another $25 into the account by using points for a MS card as usual.
But now it refuses to let me pay unless I give it a credit card.
Don't want it charging my card when I could be using points.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Not sure if this is me but I only have money because I had the misfortune of growing up in a corrupt money laundering hub and sold my lovely apartment for 200% profit in 2018. Have never made more than $55k salary and I'm 40.

i have no idea if it was you either.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Stux posted:

I can afford it i just dont see the point of buying 1TB additional storage at launch when i'll probably have like 3 games that need the internal drive and ALL OF MY GAMES are on that 1TB external drive.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it was the person above,2 day sago, thhat was the point. youve allr uined it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can't believe they went with Seagate for their expandable storage. I mean, I can because they probably offered the cheapest drives.

I have had nothing but issues with Seagate drives over the years. They are the one brand I tell people to avoid at all costs and all the other editors I know won't touch their products.