Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

bushisms.txt posted:

It's got to be something with the hardware itself, it's just aux cables. I've never had any popping no matter the headset in my controller. Have folks tried a qtip of alcohol in the jack and wiping the aux connector off? I find a lot of issues are just dust collections.

All my headphones pop except one set, so for me it’s definitely not a dust thing. I didn’t know other people had this issue before, thought I had a dodgy controller.

Hoping those new wireless Xbox ones aren’t sold out for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I've just learned about the game Guilty Gear 2: Overture and I want it to be made backwards compatible so bad.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

man i have had dq11 on autobattle the whole time and now to get this last cheevo i have to kill like 2 superbosses who are hard even at level 99? may not have bothered forging all these other costume if i'd known it was gonna make me do real battles all of a sudden

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lammasu posted:

I've just learned about the game Guilty Gear 2: Overture and I want it to be made backwards compatible so bad.

Its not good and if you have a 360 I think the demo is still up and available. It stinks too because the fighting game/dynasty warriors moba genre is underserved

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

bushisms.txt posted:

It's got to be something with the hardware itself, it's just aux cables. I've never had any popping no matter the headset in my controller. Have folks tried a qtip of alcohol in the jack and wiping the aux connector off? I find a lot of issues are just dust collections.

If that were the case then plugging in the usb cable for the controller theoretically shouldn't fix the problem, and yet... It's one of the most common fixes along with resetting the console so there's definitely something going on that's not strictly hardware and the strongest evidence seems to be for some type of wireless interference from the controller itself, afaict

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Barudak posted:

Its not good and if you have a 360 I think the demo is still up and available. It stinks too because the fighting game/dynasty warriors moba genre is underserved

That genre description just made me cum so hard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lammasu posted:

That genre description just made me cum so hard.

You and me both.

Overture, in addition to just being kind of bare bones and stiff as hell, suffered from coming out in 2007 before a lot of mechanical progress and understanding of how to make games like this permeated and not being a fighting game despite being called Guilty Gear 2

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So I know this is a question about an old console, but I recently picked up a few 4k blurays with hopes of playing them in my xbox one s, put one in and it played then I noticed there was an update for the bluray app but it wasn't updating, so I figured uninstall the app and reinstall, now it just sits at 0% forever and I can't watch poo poo, I noticed the comments section of the app is plagued with people with the same issue, done all the power cycling and store downloading that's recommended by Microsoft's non help team. anyone know any clever tricks or am I just luck out of poo poo?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So I know this is a question about an old console, but I recently picked up a few 4k blurays with hopes of playing them in my xbox one s, put one in and it played then I noticed there was an update for the bluray app but it wasn't updating, so I figured uninstall the app and reinstall, now it just sits at 0% forever and I can't watch poo poo, I noticed the comments section of the app is plagued with people with the same issue, done all the power cycling and store downloading that's recommended by Microsoft's non help team. anyone know any clever tricks or am I just luck out of poo poo?

If nothing else helps, maybe just factory reset the whole dang console. You could move your games to an external HDD first if you want to avoid downloading too much. Your saves are backed up in the cloud.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Why am I only discovering Subnautica now? The gameplay is very much my thing.

It's on game pass btw, if you're not aware.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

American McGay posted:

Remember if you claim a GWG game it's yours for as long as you still have Gold (or GPU).

For some reason I no longer have trials of blood dragon. It was a gwg that I downloaded. I actually just checked on this a few days ago and it says I need to buy it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Why am I only discovering Subnautica now? The gameplay is very much my thing.

It's on game pass btw, if you're not aware.

Theres a sequel exiting early access soon so look forward to that too.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

swims posted:

For some reason I no longer have trials of blood dragon. It was a gwg that I downloaded. I actually just checked on this a few days ago and it says I need to buy it.

I've noticed this happen with other games. For me it was Split/Second.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Tsietisin posted:

I've noticed this happen with other games. For me it was Split/Second.

Split/second was part of the Disney interactive studios that got shut down, so the rights reverted for a bit. It looks like it's back up. If I could be guaranteed people were playing I'd buy it again.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Zat posted:

If nothing else helps, maybe just factory reset the whole dang console. You could move your games to an external HDD first if you want to avoid downloading too much. Your saves are backed up in the cloud.

I guess I'll try this, gotta wait for lost odyssey to finish downloading through the slow af wifi first because I'm betting you can't back up partially downloaded games.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

I feel like warriors games are definitely not underserved right now between dragon quest, persona, legend of Zelda all getting multiple warriors games on top of the dynasty/samurai ones they still make

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

bushisms.txt posted:

Split/second was part of the Disney interactive studios that got shut down, so the rights reverted for a bit. It looks like it's back up. If I could be guaranteed people were playing I'd buy it again.

I installed my old PC version a few weeks ago and hilariously had to crack it to play it because whatever server securom was pinging was alllll the way dead

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just finished mafia definitive edition, which I thought would be a mediocre filler game in this drought, but it was really good and I feel bad for never giving it a shot when it was new. Too bad they apparently didn't put the effort into remastering 2 as much.

Edit: it's basically a whole new game. Holy poo poo. No wonder I slept on the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RARjkBzniNM

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 8, 2021

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

man i have had dq11 on autobattle the whole time and now to get this last cheevo i have to kill like 2 superbosses who are hard even at level 99? may not have bothered forging all these other costume if i'd known it was gonna make me do real battles all of a sudden

Apparently you can do this without defeating the superbosses to get the final costume, if you just need the Hare-Raiser outfit for Jade (which is the last one most people will be unlocking).

This was recently posted in a TrueAchievements comment, hidden deep in a guide:

quote:

If people are struggling to get the Jade outfit from the final boss (which is completely understandable). There is a much easier way to do so using 2D mode.
Collect all other costumes available first (this is important as you cannot switch back).
Switch to 2D mode and chapter select to the chapter just after the Party splits up after the events of Yggdrasil. You will know it is correct as you will end up starting with the scene of the Luminary as a boy talking to his mum. Then falling into the water.
From here you will play as Slyvando, simply play through this section to gain control of Jade.
After doing this you can just play through as Jade until the point where you are given the Hare Raiser costume as part of the story and the achievement will unlock as long as you have all other costumes.

I hope this helps some people.

Other posters have confirmed it works. Have yet to try it myself, I found it just now because I've also been frustrated with those superbosses for a while.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I feel like warriors games are definitely not underserved right now between dragon quest, persona, legend of Zelda all getting multiple warriors games on top of the dynasty/samurai ones they still make

No no, not warriors games, Warriors MOBAs

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ErrEff posted:

Apparently you can do this without defeating the superbosses to get the final costume, if you just need the Hare-Raiser outfit for Jade (which is the last one most people will be unlocking).

This was recently posted in a TrueAchievements comment, hidden deep in a guide:

Other posters have confirmed it works. Have yet to try it myself, I found it just now because I've also been frustrated with those superbosses for a while.

this would be big. i still gotta beat the final two book levels though i think

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Edit: it's basically a whole new game. Holy poo poo. No wonder I slept on the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RARjkBzniNM
:eyepop:

Why the hell did they name it "Definitive Edition" ("resolution bump and higher settings, don't expect different assets") when it's remade from the ground up? Probably to fit with 2's rerelease, but poo poo, I almost missed this completely

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

this would be big. i still gotta beat the final two book levels though i think

The last 2D book fights suck because the mechanics are so completely different and it's a pain to do it manually.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ruffian Price posted:

Why the hell did they name it "Definitive Edition" ("resolution bump and higher settings, don't expect different assets") when it's remade from the ground up? Probably to fit with 2's rerelease, but poo poo, I almost missed this completely

Yeah it feels like a new release. Cut scenes are on par with the best in games, and the gameplay is not mind-blowing but better than say GTA V or RDR 2. On par with most games like it.

I started 2 and it's so disappointing by comparison. Mafia 3 is good too, played that at launch, also great cut scenes but gameplay is too repetitive. Mafia 1 definitive edition is the best of the 3.

Looking forward to what they do for 4. The half black Vietnam vet coming back to New Orleans was an original enough concept to get me interested in the franchise - didnt think I'd care about yet another rote Italian gangster thing.

Edit: Mafia definitive edition has as good fake ray tracing as the real poo poo in true next gen games as well. First time I saw it I could have sworn it was real, but DF etc say otherwise.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 8, 2021

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i have never played any game in my life in which having an open world felt less necessary than mafia 2

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Ruffian Price posted:

Wow, this looks fantastic. Especially those rainy night action scenes. I've never played a Mafia game before but now i'm interested in this one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i have never played any game in my life in which having an open world felt less necessary than mafia 2

Godfather the video game had its open world side activities behind paid dlc and I could not tell you what the point of any of the open world in LA Noire was but at least it was free

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Barudak posted:

Godfather the video game had its open world side activities behind paid dlc and I could not tell you what the point of any of the open world in LA Noire was but at least it was free

Yeah, LA Noire came to my mind too. There was nothing to do in the open world but just drive between known locations (also you could just fast-travel by letting your partner drive), there were no distractions and nothing to discover. Still, it did give the setting some additional immersion I guess. It is a cool game.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Zat posted:

Yeah, LA Noire came to my mind too. There was nothing to do in the open world but just drive between known locations (also you could just fast-travel by letting your partner drive), there were no distractions and nothing to discover. Still, it did give the setting some additional immersion I guess. It is a cool game.

I think this is a hangover from the original scope of the game which had to be abandoned as the final shipped version was hastily stapled together from anything that was even half finished.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1368931562415255556

Xbox event on Thursday?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Mario.... I'll miss you....

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

American McGay posted:

[Xbox event on Thursday?

Probably be a bit more corporate-y based around how the deal has been officially approved by regulators and is final. Maybe they'll put up more of the back catalog on Gamepass or something. Wouldn't expect any particular details on any of their new stuff. But who knows.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Microsoft to announce intent to purchase Trent Reznor, restore the Quake soundtrack

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Barudak posted:

Microsoft to announce intent to purchase Trent Reznor, restore the Quake soundtrack

I’m sure Apple made him sign a non-compete agreement during his brief tenure there

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Seriously though give us Quake

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

Unapologetic Quake at that. I don’t want loadouts or characters. Gimme DM and CTF you loving cowards!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't really understand why boring rear end team-based objectives became popular over just indiscriminately shooting everyone, which is what video games were made for.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

exquisite tea posted:

I don't really understand why boring rear end team-based objectives became popular over just indiscriminately shooting everyone, which is what video games were made for.
Because only a few people were good at shooting everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

It's more that kill stealing is a thing and objective based combat spreads the fights out so it's not just one team fighting themselves to finish someone off. Plus a lot more strategy can be had if there's something more than just shooting and spawn camping powerups.