Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Real hurthling! posted:

Anybody make a pic of an s, a 360 e, and an x in a row with like a big poo poo eating grin yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Real hurthling! posted:

Anybody make a pic of an s, a 360 e, and an x in a row with like a big poo poo eating grin yet?

no one would, or should, own any of those, let alone all of them

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xsøeøø?

Ø=null

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does this thing not a have a rest mode?! I could have sworn it did.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

veni veni veni posted:

Does this thing not a have a rest mode?! I could have sworn it did.

It's in the settings. You can set it to power off completely when you turn it off or stay in sleep mode. Sleep mode lets you install games when you're away from the console.

Also I have Game Pass and love it. I played Rise of the Tomb Raider a couple weeks ago which was great, all the DLC was like $3 too. I'm going to play SOD2 on Tuesday when it comes out just to try it because I'm not sure if it's really my thing. I never played the first one. Then I'm going to go back and play Fable 2 again because I haven't played it in years.

Also all of the people complaining that 25 titles are being removed (exactly 1 year after Game Pass came out so pretty safe to assume they were on a 1 year license) are completely ignoring the fact that they always add games every month too. Do you really think they're not going to add stuff in June when it's E3 and Game Pass is literally like one of 5 top priorities for the company right now?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rest mode breaks my connectivity with live. Every time i wake the console up i have wifi and xbl issues that disappear after full power cycle.

Numerous times ive lost game progress because the xb1 is programmed to kick you to title if your profile gets logged out of live.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Game pass is twenty times better than PS Now because its locally downloaded instead of streamed which means no lag and no compression. Now is like playing games through a greasy window.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

at least now isn't an admission that they're only putting 10 dollar budget game level of work into all their games tho

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xbox

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Daric posted:

Do you really think they're not going to add stuff in June when it's E3 and Game Pass is literally like one of 5 top priorities for the company right now?

"Do you really think Microsoft isn't going to do the right thing?" as a sincere question can only end in tears, and I don't mean screen tears.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Rest mode breaks my connectivity with live. Every time i wake the console up i have wifi and xbl issues that disappear after full power cycle.

Numerous times ive lost game progress because the xb1 is programmed to kick you to title if your profile gets logged out of live.

Hell yeah. Me and my friend constantly had voice chat issue in games were we couldn't hear one another or anybody else in game until we power cycled. Now we don't use rest at all which is a shame they haven't fixed that yet.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

RBX posted:

Hell yeah. Me and my friend constantly had voice chat issue in games were we couldn't hear one another or anybody else in game until we power cycled. Now we don't use rest at all which is a shame they haven't fixed that yet.

Rest mode can also glitch achievements too, causing them to not unlock. Makes me wonder if it has some kind of inherent memory leak issue going on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fanatic posted:

Rest mode can also glitch achievements too, causing them to not unlock. Makes me wonder if it has some kind of inherent memory leak issue going on.

There's definitely something going wrong. I couldn't get a stable connection out of my xbox until I turned that poo poo off. Anything that streamed video would glitch, video would stop, audio kept going, then the video would quickly catch up and then resume at 240p until going back to HD and starting over again. Even streaming video from my own media server would constantly buffer. it all went away when I made the xbox completely shut down each time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Active reload seems like a very overhyped mechanic imo, theres no audio feedback when you do it right to make you feel good and you gotta stop paying attention to look in the corner of the screen for each new weapon you get until you learn its timing. It should be a part of the reticule idgi.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's a lot of stuff about Gears that was cool as gently caress a decade ago that range from irrelevant to outright bad now. Keep in mind this is the series that popularized cover shooters. And to it's credit the cover system was actually pretty great, much like active reload in 2006, but I have no idea what that series is supposed to be bringing to the table in tyool 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

There's a lot of stuff about Gears that was cool as gently caress a decade ago that range from irrelevant to outright bad now. Keep in mind this is the series that popularized cover shooters. And to it's credit the cover system was actually pretty great, much like active reload in 2006, but I have no idea what that series is supposed to be bringing to the table in tyool 2018

The cover system being integrated into the run is actually terrible cause u try to get somewhere fast and it starts dragging you into all these sticky walls

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Old stuff ages badly? whoda thunk?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Real hurthling! posted:

The cover system being integrated into the run is actually terrible cause u try to get somewhere fast and it starts dragging you into all these sticky walls

isnt high level gears movement all about bouncing into and out of cover constantly since you move like a slug just running or dodging

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It used to be. They heavily nerfed it and change it every month. It's pissed off what little of us still playing just to appease their failing esports and they don't even like it. Now it's all about team shooting with lancers and corner camping.

I'm not even gonna get into the input lag in the game or the shooting and running delays (that aren't in the PC version, the game has crossplay btw).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Old stuff ages badly? whoda thunk?

It isn't even that it's old, just that it never bothered to update. Gears 4 released in 2016, well after it was established that entire games built around wall humping were no longer interesting.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

5 getting announced in 3 weeks per walmart leak

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Boy I hope that Gears 5 had cover, and that chainsaw gun, and *squints at hand* The Lambernt enemies

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lol remember when Gears and Halo were worth buying a console for

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I still play Gears of War 3 multiplayer. :/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol remember when Gears and Halo were worth buying a console for

Not really

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Not really

Halo1 at a lan party with 4 CRT displays, a bunch of beer, and THE DUKE was a drat good time.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
H1 and H3 were worth buying consoles for. I was being nice to Gears.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I don’t remember any GoW game being a big deal outside 1 and 2. 1 was a huge change for 3rd person shooters.

People were stoked to see how 2 panned out and it was exactly the same as the first game.

That’s where they lost me.

And the multiplayer has always been poo poo.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

That’s maybe a bit uncharitable, I mean the enduring name for the new type of mode added in 2 was “horde mode” for a reason, right?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

True, and I’ve never been a fan of horde modes so I never gave more than a few hours so that’s probably why I forgot it.

Never cared for the PvP. Pretty much played through the first two with friends and then never touched them again.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Beastie posted:

I don’t remember any GoW game being a big deal outside 1 and 2. 1 was a huge change for 3rd person shooters.

People were stoked to see how 2 panned out and it was exactly the same as the first game.

That’s where they lost me.

It is in a strange spot because due to the bullet sponge nature of the enemies the shooting is aggressively mediochre without the cover system to break up mobility. The cover *is* the combat, and you don't have a lot of walking fire capability.

I've been replaying Gears recently and it's interesting to compare it against another cover based shooter that came out in 2006, Rainbow Six Vegas. That one wasn't that great either, but it differs because the cover was used to facilitate the combat rather than forcing you into it constantly. You use cover to throw flashbang, breach doors, flank people, and so on. Flanking was more effective because you dont have to dump a mag in every single enemy. It wasn't just stop and pop like Gears is.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont get horde/zombie mode. its fun once or twice but yeh after that Im done.

Gears of War was the game that made me sell my Wii and buy a 360, but the online play for GoW was garbage.

I grabbed a month of gamepass for $1 to try sea of thieves (which is not worth a dollar) and also tried GoW 4 and its the same gameplay with new enemies that are bullet sponges. not even sure why its R18+ classified since all you do is shoot robots who arent real and just shoot sparks instead of blood.

Initially bought an xbone this generation because Halo and Forza and both those series have petered out pretty hard, although Forza not so much.

All i need is a xbone style controller for a PS5 and Im jumping ship unless Xbox really brings something amazing to the table for the xbox two (the 5th xbox)

then again the switch is pretty impressive and the flexibility of something I can play without tying up the TV is really cool, the games are mostly fantastic looking and while its got a lot of shovelware on the store at least the majority of games arent stuffed full of microtransactions.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The later enemies are mutated human pod people so it gets a mature rating

Dnt worry they follow the exact same archetypes as the robots so you didnt miss anything
Rusher, shooter, bigger shooter

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I remember seeing promo clips of Gears 1 and being blown away by the fact that you could see pieces of the locusts’ face as his head exploded.

That’s about all I ever got out of those games.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Gears (like Halo) had a split-screen co-op campaign which was pretty cool. Don't see that feature much anymore.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Fanatic posted:

Gears (like Halo) had a split-screen co-op campaign which was pretty cool. Don't see that feature much anymore.

because the internet exists now

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gears 1 was a pretty milemarker game for it's cover shooting and the graphics were nuts at the time. Like, it was pretty much when 360 era games went from HD Xbox/PS2 games to the next gen. I also thought it was just fun as hell despite how dumb looking the main characters are.

By the time 2 came out cover shooters were already stale and I never even finished it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I liked Peek-A-Boo With Guns up through 3 and still play horde mode 3 online occasionally. Mainly I got trilogy-itis out of it where I’ll easily stick with a series for 3 games and it feels like a natural conclusion, and it’ll take a major compelling change in story or gameplay to bring me back. The Judgement Day prequel was where I gave up.

Same for Halo I guess.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I liked Peek-A-Boo With Guns up through 3 and still play horde mode 3 online occasionally. Mainly I got trilogy-itis out of it where I’ll easily stick with a series for 3 games and it feels like a natural conclusion, and it’ll take a major compelling change in story or gameplay to bring me back. The Judgement Day prequel was where I gave up.

Same for Halo I guess.

Halo 4 had plenty of potential to be an excellent sequel, multiplayer wise, but they hosed that up with randomised weapon drops making the bulk of Halos core gameplay (power weapon and map control, team tactics) useless. They also nerfed the poo poo out of vehicles. the campaign was garbage however. they were like 3 years late to the killstreak/perk stuff and it really showed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Laserface posted:

Halo 4 had plenty of potential to be an excellent sequel, multiplayer wise, but they hosed that up with randomised weapon drops making the bulk of Halos core gameplay (power weapon and map control, team tactics) useless. They also nerfed the poo poo out of vehicles. the campaign was garbage however. they were like 3 years late to the killstreak/perk stuff and it really showed.

And then along came Halo 5 and hoo boy halo 4 seems amazing by comparison