Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

European kids bought a lot of knack for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Knack is the best game ever made.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Some pretty good deals in this sale. $26.40 US for Wolfenstein 2 AND Doom.

And I finally bought agents of mayhem since it was $2 less than my two hours of parking for dinner tonight. I know I compare games to parking a lot but seriously gently caress this city

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Edit

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

univbee posted:

Sony made a bad combination of mistakes with the PS3 and its launch messaging was heavily marred by greed. Weirdly if they launched it without PS2 BC that might have been enough since it would have shaved $100 off launch unit prices. The $299 360 was pretty useless as-is due to no storage, and you also needed $50/year XBL Gold, so it wasn’t really cheaper overall but it was cheaper to get the base unit so that was enough. At least the PS3 helped Sony win a format war for once.

In 2006 the PS3 was slated to continue the utter dominance that was the PS2. Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy XIII, etc were all exclusive to the console. It was destined to be the PS2 all over again with almost every big franchise being a Playstation exclusive. But once Sony announced the price point, and especially after the so-so launch, all the publishers began porting their games to the Xbox 360. Now to be fair this would have happened anyway, but the PS3 bungle notably accelerated things.

The cheapest PS3 at launch was $624 in todays money. With the "true" model being $750. The fact that the PS3 wasn't dead on arrival is a testament to how much of a powerhouse Sony was at the time. Imagine how the Xbox 360 would fair if Microsoft did the same. I can't really undersell to the younger gamers of how dominate the Playstation brand was in the early a mid-2000s. The only thing that could have killed Sony's dominance was a monumental gently caress up to surpass even Sega's blunders and that's exactly what Sony did.

And poo poo, even at the end of the generation Sony basically caught up as they were only a few millions units behind Microsoft. So what you want about Sony, but they really know how to sell hardware, with the Vita being the only (though glaring) exception.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 19, 2018

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I bought a 360 at launch because my dad was a dev on FIFA at the time and said all the talk about the PS3 being more powerful was horseshit. He ended up being right.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The PS3 system architecture is basically a story of perfecting current day tech despite next year's tech already being out.

PS3 Cell: 1 beefy core plus a number of weaker cores to do specialized things, akin to conventional single core PC and console design

360 cpu: 3 of them Cell main cores running hyperthreaded. Basically the multicore solution we all use in terms of design.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's less Sony selling hardware as it is having all the best exclusives every generation. People are gonna buy the Madden and GTAs but where else are they gonna play Horizon or GoW? MS can keep trying tricks all its wants but I don't see them ever catching up unless they have a drastic change in philosophy.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm not entirely sure where the PS3's processing power is compared to the 360 (and it's probably not a big difference regardless), all I know from a friend who programmed videogames at the time is that the PS3 was more of a pain to code for because with the SDK's of that era (I think this was around 2008-2009?) you had to explicitly tell each core what to do, whereas the 360 SDK would compile intelligently to make the most out of each core.

The bigger differences were in terms of storage, both the fact that games weren't size-limited to 6.8 (later 7.8) gigs, and the fact that from the get-go every PS3 was required to have a hard drive and games could install data. I guess you can also add the fact that there wasn't an effective size limit on patch size on PS3, nor did you have a cut a five-figure flat fee cheque to pay for patches after the first one. The data install was a pretty big deal, too, since from like 2012 onwards quite a few major games started to require at least a USB key to install data to, and in some cases mandated an official internal Microsoft hard drive which also happened to be stupidly overpriced.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

In 2006 the PS3 was slated to continue the utter dominance that was the PS2. Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy XIII, etc were all exclusive to the console. It was destined to be the PS2 all over again with almost every big franchise being a Playstation exclusive. But once Sony announced the price point, and especially after the so-so launch, all the publishers began porting their games to the Xbox 360. Now to be fair this would have happened anyway, but the PS3 bungle notably accelerated things.
When was Assassins Creed ever PS3 exclusive? It ran like poo poo on there compared to 360, and I don’t think it was ever announced as anything but dual platform.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Phil Spencer said there were discussions about Xbox and why it's part of the company some time back. Microsoft has obviously decided against spinning it off/shutting it down and is going to keep it as part of their core business for the foreseeable future. It's pretty apparent they have now put more resources behind it in the hopes of getting Xbox to be a successful and profitable business some time in the future.

univbee posted:

an official internal Microsoft hard drive which also happened to be stupidly overpriced.

Praise hddhackr and cheap enclosures from ebay.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Akuma posted:

When was Assassins Creed ever PS3 exclusive? It ran like poo poo on there compared to 360, and I don’t think it was ever announced as anything but dual platform.

DMC4 wasn't a PS3 exclusive, either. Or Final Fantasy XIII.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

He's alleging that they were exclusive until the devs saw the PS3 backlash. I've never heard that, I'll have to Google it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My knowledge of the start of the last generation is all hosed up because I lived in Japan for most of 2005-2008 and the 360 was just that really weird corner of Yodobashi Camera.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

My knowledge of the start of the last generation is all hosed up because I lived in Japan for most of 2005-2008 and the 360 was just that really weird corner of Yodobashi Camera.

You are the yakuza kiwami to my yakuza 0.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I wish they would do the thing that they are always on the brink of and just make the Xbox a full HTPC/Game System and give it a sort of stripped down version of Windows. Also get rid of physical media already.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

Also get rid of physical media already.

Physical media will never die. Even for games where the disc is a glorified license and the entire game redownloads (e.g. Overwatch), it will never die.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm still holding out for my dream of a physical disc or cartridge just being a physical, transferable license that you can install to a console and then put int a box until you want to sell it to someone else.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm still holding out for my dream of a physical disc or cartridge just being a physical, transferable license that you can install to a console and then put int a box until you want to sell it to someone else.

I got the sense in 2013 that that was what Microsoft was going for but lacked the ability to clearly articulate.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm pretty sure all the companies are happy with the status quo of "physical copy that needs to be inserted at all times or non-transferable digital copy", it's well known that media companies hate resale with the fury of a thousand suns and do as much as possible to get rid of it (see: online passes, Vernor v. Autodesk, Inc., various other cases revolving around home media formats, especially but not exclusively recordable ones), but it's far too important for the market to allow for proper resale of physical versions which is why the Xbox One launch was so poorly received.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

All digital is a huge problem for a decent part of the USA. Not everyone has the ability to download 80gb 4k games, or even games with day one 20gb patches. Vast majority of this country doesn't have the bandwith to update all of their games every month.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Beastie posted:

All digital is a huge problem for a decent part of the USA. Not everyone has the ability to download 80gb 4k games, or even games with day one 20gb patches. Vast majority of this country doesn't have the bandwith to update all of their games every month.

A physical copy whose build is basically unplayable without a whole game's worth of updates doesn't really solve that problem and that's what we have now.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm setting up newer consoles for use at my dad's place with like sub-1 megabit DSL. I have to meticulously plan everything out in terms of which games are installed on the consoles so that some random-rear end game doesn't decide it needs to redownload entirely, and make sure the 10 or so games with proper "game of the year"-style discs have those versions, stuff like that. It's annoying. It also guarantees I'd only set up an Xbox One S there, since the X downloads are on a whole other level. PS4 Pro is weirdly OK since there's no alternate textures there, it's all delicious mud.

TheScott2K posted:

A physical copy whose build is basically unplayable without a whole game's worth of updates doesn't really solve that problem and that's what we have now.

While internet was part of the issue with Xbox's original 2013 plan, it was mainly the transfer of ownership issue more than anything. We're even at the point where Switch games have giant downloads which require an extra purchase (microSD card) because they can't fit the entire game on the cheaper Nintendo-produced cartridges.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

lovely Internet World seems like a good use of retailers - give them a kiosk and a cut of any sales made through it, give end users their downloads on a reusable thumb drive or something.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

lovely Internet World seems like a good use of retailers - give them a kiosk and a cut of any sales made through it, give end users their downloads on a reusable thumb drive or something.

This only gets you so far. The Witcher 3's day one patch was only a few hundred megs but if you insert a non-GOTY version's disc now it's like an 18+ gig download. Overwatch also keeps redownloading the entire game whenever new content is released, it seems.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

univbee posted:

While internet was part of the issue with Xbox's original 2013 plan, it was mainly the transfer of ownership issue more than anything. We're even at the point where Switch games have giant downloads which require an extra purchase (microSD card) because they can't fit the entire game on the cheaper Nintendo-produced cartridges.

For many games they probably could fit the entire game on a cart but they save money by buying the 8GB cart instead of the larger carts.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Oh I am aware. It's terrible what some devs push on the consumer. I'd like to think there will be a tipping point soon, but it really doesn't affect me as I live in a major city with fantastic internet.

The part of my brain that still lives in 2008 shits its pants every time I download a game that's 70gb, then I download the PUBG patch for 13gb, then I look and see that another game updated for another 5gb. All in one day.

A poo poo load of people just can't do that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

For many games they probably could fit the entire game on a cart but they save money by buying the 8GB cart instead of the larger carts.

Yeah, carts just have a considerable expense when compared to the pennies the more spacious optical discs hold. Right now the issue is we have the same problem on PS4 and XB1 where games are now larger than 50 gigs and then force a content download via patch, because the security on both systems doesn't have any consideration for the possibility of a game spanning more than one disc.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The one month that I went into gamepass and downloaded some games, I went over a terabyte of data and Comcast kept injecting "YOU USED TOO MUCH DATA!!!!" popups into my websites.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Not satisfied with just killing thousands of gamepass subscriptions, SOT has moved on to killing actual people

https://twitter.com/abc13houston/status/1019733629164048385?s=21

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

That's tragic but jesus christ if you have a peanut allergy double check that your cookies don't have peanuts.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'd die for a peanut cookie right about now. Not a chips ahoy tho

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I mean if the red packaging thing had worked as a visual shorthand up until then I kinda see where the mom is coming from.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

I mean if the red packaging thing had worked as a visual shorthand up until then I kinda see where the mom is coming from.

Package color has always indicated texture, not flavor

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did her parents not tell her friend's parents about the deadly peanut allergy?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Package color has always indicated texture, not flavor

That was their stance as well:

https://twitter.com/ChipsAhoy/status/1018772983295479808

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

It is very important that someone - either herself or someone else - be blamed for this girl's death because the alternative is that death can come for any of us at any time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

It is very important that someone - either herself or someone else - be blamed for this girl's death because the alternative is that death can come for any of us at any time.

A french tourist child crashed his bike into me today in the park and luckily euro kids dont weigh anything or i could be in the hospital

An american 10 yearold would have orphaned my kid

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I've been a pedestrian commuter in America for over a decade and have only ever been bumped by a car turning right on a red light. So basically I've been playing with house money for at least like 5 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Akuma posted:

The game was announced only for the PS3 when first revealed. Though that didn't last long.

exquisite tea posted:

DMC4 wasn't a PS3 exclusive, either. Or Final Fantasy XIII.

Same as the above, except Final Fantasy XIII took longer and thus had that infamous E3 moment when the game was unveiled at Microsoft's E3 conference.