Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

univbee posted:

This we can all agree on. gently caress every idiot whoever suggested PC gaming was more cost-effective than console gaming.

What hosed up the prices was Bitcoin mining. The best option now is to buy a pre-built system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Beastie posted:

One of my all time favorites. 3 was good but drat I could see why Quantum Break turned out the way it did.

The evolutionary step between Max Payne 2 and Quantum Break was Alan Wake, which was a good game.

Max Payne 3 was developed by entirely different folks.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Zat posted:

The evolutionary step between Max Payne 2 and Quantum Break was Alan Wake, which was a good game.

Max Payne 3 was developed by entirely different folks.

Ah, okay. I got Alan Wake free when I bought Quantum Break. I never got around to playing it. Maybe that will be my annual "weather is poo poo let's play a game to scare the pants off my girlfriend."

Last winter it was Until Dawn and I'm super stoked they're working on something for Xbox now.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anybody know what this is or how to get rid of it? Friend of mine got pubg and so we were going to take a break from fortnite, but when he turned one his xbone he had these black boxes all over the screen and didn't know what the gently caress.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

What hosed up the prices was Bitcoin mining. The best option now is to buy a pre-built system.

Even so, you have to pay far too much money to get a system that will do anything above 1080p in a good way on a 4K TV.

1080p - PS4
above 1080p with not-great internet - PS4 Pro
well above 1080p with beefy unlimited internet - Xbox One X

A PC is in a weird place because you can pay like five or six hundred and get a system that'll do 1080p better than the PS4 can (and will do stuff like run Destiny 2 at 60fps), but doing anything with a PC that outputs a signal above 1080p gets really expensive really fast because you often don't have the luxury of doing a halfway or dynamic resolution that'll scale nicely, it has to be built into the game you're playing (or you have to get a native 1440p monitor which is expensive by itself). You can do true native 4K but that is $$$$ especially with the crypto poo poo and tariffs for anyone outside the US (which are usually not really an issue for consoles), and overall the PC experience on a TV with a controller is just kind-of poo poo.

bango skank posted:

Anybody know what this is or how to get rid of it? Friend of mine got pubg and so we were going to take a break from fortnite, but when he turned one his xbone he had these black boxes all over the screen and didn't know what the gently caress.

Pre-emptive get a PS4 instead :v: (in fairness I had a similar issue with my PS4 Pro before following the below steps)

But seriously, do a proper restart of the console. If that still doesn't work, does he have a 4K TV? There may be some output options to change particularly in terms of color range. If he's got something plugged into his "TV in" port on his Xbox, try unplugging it (one of my TV's doesn't like that).

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 30, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does For Honor have Xbox One X support?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Yes, it got a 4K update

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Yes it does.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zat posted:

Yes, it got a 4K update

Nice! That is honestly one of my favorite UBIsoft games.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!
I currently rock a 1080 in a micro-ITX build (for living room purposes) and it struggles with 4k content - much prefer 2k for that particular card.

With the announcement of 2080 and RTX, Nvidia have essentially introduced a new graphic technique still in it's infancy for gaming. Switching on real time ray tracing will drop framerates to below 60 on those new gen cards. Early adaptation means paying a hell of lot for the privilege.

If the next gen of console are on the horizon it is far better to wait with current systems and ride the end tails of this cycle - and what a ride it will be.... now backwards compatibility will have to be a must for the next Xbox and PS in my opinion or viva la revolution.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

univbee posted:

Pre-emptive get a PS4 instead :v: (in fairness I had a similar issue with my PS4 Pro before following the below steps)

But seriously, do a proper restart of the console. If that still doesn't work, does he have a 4K TV? There may be some output options to change particularly in terms of color range. If he's got something plugged into his "TV in" port on his Xbox, try unplugging it (one of my TV's doesn't like that).
He's got all his consoles hooked up to one of his pc monitors and they're all 4k so it could be that, then. We'll try fiddling around with the options later today I guess, thanks for the help.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum

bango skank posted:

This looks like an input issue - at first I thought it might be the GPU in the xbox but it is very uniformal. Check inputs, different HDMI cable and maybe different AV slot. If all else fails reset cache and pray to the silicon gods.

E: Might be PiP mode - Picture in Picture mode on the monitor??

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

ethanol posted:

You know some of us own Xbox ones, some of us own two or three Xbox ones. That doesn’t mean we blindly accept all the loving poo poo Microsoft does like you do

OK - I Don't Think You Idiots Have Any Room To Talk About Whether Or Not The Monthly Payment Plan Is A Good Deal Or A Bad Deal Anymore.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Pewdiepie posted:

OK - I Don't Think You Idiots Have Any Room To Talk About Whether Or Not The Monthly Payment Plan Is A Good Deal Or A Bad Deal Anymore.

he paid 60 dollars for Sea of Thieves when it came out and even he knows what it means when a company offers you a 2 year contract on anything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sea of Thieves is the most underwhelming game of this current console gen.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

I said come in! posted:

No Mans Sky has taught us that all you need to do is saddle Rare with an intense shame spiral and in about 2 years the game will be pretty good.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Sea of Thieves is just as boring as Destiny 2 imho but without all the dazzling swirling colors to distract you.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum

Beastie posted:

Sea of Thieves is just as boring as Destiny 2 imho but without all the dazzling swirling colors to distract you.

I dunno the HDR is pretty sweet on sea of Thieves... also did you check out that big puddle...I mean ocean??

E: /s

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 30, 2018

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I said come in! posted:

i agree i basically bought it because iw as dared to, also i do have a unnatural fascination with lite ship realism games involving wind or submarines such as silent hunter 3

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

univbee posted:

This we can all agree on. gently caress every idiot whoever suggested PC gaming was more cost-effective than console gaming.

Then there's the issue of choosing parts, assembling the machine and installing software. Every step makes me lmao a little bit when I think about some of the gamers in my family trying to accomplish them.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm enjoying the once every week or two I've played Sea of Thieves since getting game pass. I've only played with other people though. It would be awful solo.

But, it certainly isn't a 60 dollar game.

I think for the amount of content it has/etc, it is more like a 20 dollar game.

It is very pretty though.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

King Burgundy posted:

I'm enjoying the once every week or two I've played Sea of Thieves since getting game pass. I've only played with other people though. It would be awful solo.

But, it certainly isn't a 60 dollar game.

I think for the amount of content it has/etc, it is more like a 20 dollar game.

It is very pretty though.

It’s fun going through a massive storm with friends. It’s a nice game to relax to for sure, especially if you have a team of 4.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I said come in! posted:

Yeah a prebuilt system called

The Xbox One X.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

PC part prices are coming down and are actually stable again for the 3rd time. A 1070 is below 400. A 580 is under 300. Stop spreading misinformation to defend the dumb bad loser console.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

RBX posted:

PC part prices are coming down and are actually stable again for the 3rd time. A 1070 is below 400. A 580 is under 300. Stop spreading misinformation to defend the dumb bad loser console.

i got my 1050Ti for 150 bucks. Beautiful card for 1080 gaming. High/Ultra everything 60fps no problems.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

he paid 60 dollars for Sea of Thieves when it came out and even he knows what it means when a company offers you a 2 year contract on anything.

I Get It. The Guy Hasn't Made A Single Wise Financial Decision In His Life. Remind Me Why He Is Advising Anyone?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ethan posts more when you want him to stop.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Guys just remember that no price is too high for :worship: The World's Most Powerful Console (tm) :worship:

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bango skank posted:

lmao it ended up being his monitor's picture in picture option, i guess he hit the remote or something

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

I said come in! posted:

actually, it was ethereum mining. GPU's haven't been useful for bitcoin mining for a very long time. The bubble on crypto has kind of popped, though, and even ethereum is a lot less interesting to GPU miners and a lot of them are switching to ASIC-based miners from China. There are probably a bunch of altcoins that are GPU-accessible but their volumes and value are pretty low. GPU prices should hopefully be coming down even more than they have in the past 6-12 months as more and more miners are forced to dump their stock.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Pewdiepie posted:

I Get It. The Guy Hasn't Made A Single Wise Financial Decision In His Life. Remind Me Why He Is Advising Anyone?

Remind Why I Should Open A Credit Line To Buy An Xbox One X

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If You Took My Advice You Would Have Had An Xbox One X For One Hundred Dollars

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Finster Dexter posted:

actually, it was ethereum mining. GPU's haven't been useful for bitcoin mining for a very long time. The bubble on crypto has kind of popped, though, and even ethereum is a lot less interesting to GPU miners and a lot of them are switching to ASIC-based miners from China. There are probably a bunch of altcoins that are GPU-accessible but their volumes and value are pretty low. GPU prices should hopefully be coming down even more than they have in the past 6-12 months as more and more miners are forced to dump their stock.

Buttcoin

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The $2 for 2 months of Game Pass offer expires after today, so it's time to grab it if you haven't.

I think it requires that you don't have a current subscription but you can have subbed previously.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-game-pass/cfq7ttc0k6l8/0001

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Zat posted:

The $2 for 2 months of Game Pass offer expires after today, so it's time to grab it if you haven't.

I think it requires that you don't have a current subscription but you can have subbed previously.

loving sweet, gives me 29 days to maybe play Forza Horizon 4 for 2bux

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Zat posted:

Just a heads up, don't know if Microsoft are having payment processing trouble right now or I was just unlucky, but I now have five $2 pending charges on my credit card. Waiting to see if that clears up. And yes it still expires on October 31 so I didn't somehow luck into getting any extra cheap months.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

The store wasn't working at all for me last night so something must be going on.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
It says I only have a 1-month sub and it said it’d charge full price after, is it messed up for canadians or does it just like add another one month after for free or somethin

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

heeheex2 posted:

It says I only have a 1-month sub and it said it’d charge full price after, is it messed up for canadians or does it just like add another one month after for free or somethin

Check your expiration or renewal date here: https://account.microsoft.com/services/ - it should be 10/30/2018

You can also turn off the auto-renewal immediately. Or at least I could, but I live in Europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Zat posted:

Thanks for the reminder. Looking forward to playing through Quantum Break finally and finishing ONRUSH, which I played when it had a free weekend a few weeks ago.

And of course, FH4 for 29 days. :D