Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm playing Rise of the Ronin in performance mode, and the game is really pretty.The world map is mostly just markers to find cats and dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

I said come in! posted:

I'm playing Rise of the Ronin in performance mode, and the game is really pretty.The world map is mostly just markers to find cats and dogs.

Can’t hold a candle to ghosts of Tsushima, but yeah the petting of cats and dogs is a nice bonus :3

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://www.theverge.com/2024/3/27/24114048/microsoft-xbox-series-x-white-digital-edition-leak-rumor

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Thats not log shaped, pointless

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Devs would rather better performance or more pixels than raytracing, and that's why running a local LLM on the GPU for the game you are playing is a viable thing because

Anyway, Volte summed it up best tbh.

No disc drive, no log, just a useless block that plays games? By god, just like me. I need it.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

syntaxfunction posted:

No disc drive

:sad:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disc drives are for chumps

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I use the disc drive in my series x all the time to watch blurays

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

a big benefit of ray tracing is in theory it simplifies a lot of work (for lazy devs of course) but only if it is the only method of lighting

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

I use the disc drive in my series x extremely rarely to watch blurays

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

lol you'd think they'd make that brick actually physically smaller with the lack of optical drive but they're going full Xbox One SAD.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

univbee posted:

lol you'd think they'd make that brick actually physically smaller with the lack of optical drive but they're going full Xbox One SAD.

Save money on molds

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SCheeseman posted:

So Microsoft expects Epic and other third party stores to port their software to the Xbox? Maybe, but that's a lot of extra money, work and would leave a bunch of gaps where publishers refuse, like anything by Sony. It doesn't really fix anything, it doesn't stop the fleeing of publishers from the ecosystem to PC or solve the inbalance between the PS/XB libraries.

Granted, half-measures are Microsoft's thing so you're probably right.

If I Did It, third party stores would be given their own VM sandbox and limited Windows environment isolated from the Xbox side. Game libraries and store could be brought over relatively easily, while keeping the security of the Xbox intact (though being able to run arbitrary software, even in a VM, is admittedly an attack vector). Microsoft still has control over the stores and can enforce rules, take percentages or whatever. That way, the Xbox can play Spider-Man.

What I was saying is that it's probably only going to work with games that already have Xbox ports. Unless it actually has a mode that runs windows (seems unlikely imo) they are probably just working out a deal where you can own a game on both Xbox and Epic by only buying it once. I doubt any sort of porting will be going on especially with Sony games lol.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

What I was saying is that it's probably only going to work with games that already have Xbox ports. Unless it actually has a mode that runs windows (seems unlikely imo) they are probably just working out a deal where you can own a game on both Xbox and Epic by only buying it once. I doubt any sort of porting will be going on especially with Sony games lol.

What problem does that solve for Microsoft? They get nothing from it. EGS users from PC? Lmao, lol, etc.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

What problem does that solve for Microsoft? They get nothing from it. EGS users from PC? Lmao, lol, etc.

This is covered in the interview w/ Phil that started this whole discussion: https://www.polygon.com/24108670/xbox-epic-games-store-phil-spencer-interview It solves the problem that MS thinks the traditional console model, cheap hardware subsidized by the manufacturer collecting tolls on software sales, doesn't have any room for growth. Whereas they think PC's more open model does have room for growth, and that they can successfully compete in that environment.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Kids do seem to like PCs and tablets these days. Not too much excitement about the PS5 amongst the 9-14 crowd, at least not as much as there was for the PS2 based on what my younger cousins and nephews say.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

acksplode posted:

This is covered in the interview w/ Phil that started this whole discussion: https://www.polygon.com/24108670/xbox-epic-games-store-phil-spencer-interview It solves the problem that MS thinks the traditional console model, cheap hardware subsidized by the manufacturer collecting tolls on software sales, doesn't have any room for growth. Whereas they think PC's more open model does have room for growth, and that they can successfully compete in that environment.

I could have told them this when they made the original Xbox.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

acksplode posted:

I know and I agree, I just think that going with half measures like veni veni veni suggests doesn't do anything to spur growth, but rather creates facade storefronts that sit in front of the Microsoft storefront. It's a minor win for people who got a bunch of free games on EGS over the years, many of which have Xbox versions, but I struggle to see how it achieves Microsoft (apparent) goals of unification.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

hatty posted:

Kids do seem to like PCs and tablets these days. Not too much excitement about the PS5 amongst the 9-14 crowd, at least not as much as there was for the PS2 based on what my younger cousins and nephews say.

There's also the problem that PCs are becoming more like consoles (and vice versa), and that shrinking gap could erode the console market. Not only do console manufacturers have to onboard new players, they have to worry about current players with a wandering eye dropping out. Sony should really be terrified of handheld PCs.

SCheeseman posted:

I know and I agree, I just think that going with half measures like veni veni veni suggests doesn't do anything to spur growth, but rather creates facade storefronts that sit in front of the Microsoft storefront. It's a minor win for people who got a bunch of free games on EGS over the years, many of which have Xbox versions, but I struggle to see how it achieves Microsoft (apparent) goals of unification.

If they can get multiple alternative storefronts on Xbox then they'll have nullified a significant disadvantage vs PCs. It gives people a reason to stick with MS instead of jumping to a Steam Deck and exiting their ecosystem.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

acksplode posted:

If they can get multiple alternative storefronts on Xbox then they'll have nullified a significant disadvantage vs PCs. It gives people a reason to stick with MS instead of jumping to a Steam Deck and exiting their ecosystem.

I agree, but only if they're storefronts and not marketing deals.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the incentive for Microsoft would be that PC players would have more motivation to choose Xbox if they were in the market for a console and also I’m sure they would take part of epics cut for games bought or played on Xbox.

In the alternate scenario the Xbox basically is just a PC. What would be their motivation in that scenario? Why does it even matter that it’s an Xbox anymore?

The third scenario is that every PC game in the epic store gets ported to Xbox and…that ain’t happening.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that’s it’s mostly a marketing move but could also mean that you buy a game once and get to play it on either platform, which might be pretty appealing to some people so imo not a terrible idea.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Jesus, a white fridge is ugly as hell. I hope that's just a test unit and they did something to it to not look that... boring. White Series S looks so much better.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Guillermus posted:

Jesus, a white fridge is ugly as hell. I hope that's just a test unit and they did something to it to not look that... boring. White Series S looks so much better.

White is just a stupid color for something that's going to sit in an entertainment center where everything else is black.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

White is just a stupid color for something that's going to sit in an entertainment center where everything else is black.

The ps5 isn’t all black

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

I do like my consoles to stand out a bit. I'm not going to buy gold faceplates or skins but white isn't bad at all.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

https://x.com/XboxWire/status/1773365572236919252?s=20

Maybe I'll give Asscreed Mirage a shot this weekend.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I loving love Cyberpunk, give it a shot if you’re curious. It’s been a hell of a ride and I haven’t even done the DLC

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If you chose correctly and got a series X, Cyberpunk has been marked down to $5 at Walmart for a while now. Pretty sure it's in-store only because clearance.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

John F Bennett posted:

it's a glorious return to form and nobody knows because folks are rightfully tired of the walk in a straight line on an open plain and collect resources asscreeds

smaller map, tighter plot, environmental puzzles. all the series needed

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

Its a good game! And is a return to classic Assassin's Creed, its not part of the RPG series.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I loving love Cyberpunk, give it a shot if you’re curious. It’s been a hell of a ride and I haven’t even done the DLC

Cyberpunk has gone from pure disappointment, to one of my favorite open world RPGs ever, and giving me what I always wanted in a cyberpunk sci-fi RPG. The DLC is really great.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Other storefronts on Xbox seems technically feasible (e.g. all the emulators running on dev mode as an example) and having store icons for Steam/Epic/GOG etc. on the dashboard next to the Microsoft store icon for buying Xbox games would be a dream. Xbox has me staying with them in the future given their commitment to BC being so solid (and going above and beyond with the improvements to older titles e.g. SSX3 on Xbox, Red Dead Redemption on 360 and Titanfall on XB1 showing every generation gets attention) and if I could access my Steam library on Xbox as well that would be incredible. I think it would be fairly trivial for Xbox to set that up on a technical level and I doubt they'd run into many issues, and Valve may even opt for SteamOS which would be more suitable for console but also more difficult to implement imo, but regardless I suspect they'd jump at the opportunity to have their store on a home console since Steambox didn't take off and this would be a lot of easy money for them with minimal technical hurdles.

I think the big reason why it would probably never happen however is because it would be a nightmare to reach agreements on cuts for sales of games along with licenses and who gets what, especially with the added complications of the same games being available on multiple storefronts in this scenario. It would be comical to see Sony absolutely lose their poo poo at the majority of their first party titles suddenly being on Xbox but realistically they'd just say Valve only has a license to sell those games on PC or something. It would be interesting to see what happens with third party games that Sony paid to keep off Xbox in that scenario though, such as the Final Fantasy 7 Remake as an example, I think Square would be more than happy to open that up to another huge audience without having to put the time and effort into porting to another SKU.

Just a nice thought though imo, coming up with agreements on revenue shares etc. would be a complete nightmare and that's what would stop it.

Guillermus posted:

I do like my consoles to stand out a bit. I'm not going to buy gold faceplates or skins but white isn't bad at all.

Yeah I like white too but doesn't it discolor/yellow after so long? I'd like to see an Apple-style aluminum console. That would be really nice and probably be handy for thermals as well.

TheScott2K posted:

I use the disc drive in my series x all the time to watch blurays

Never used mine but have big cravings to play Forza Horizon 2 which was delisted years ago and I was a dummy that didn't get it digital when it was available :(

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Kinda wild nobody seems to give a gently caress about Diablo 4 on GamePass. Is it even out? I didn’t get any ads or notifications. I did notice the loading image for the Xbox pc app changed from black to a reddish color, but it could be for any other game really

Mean while I’ve been asked to preinstall Senua 2 for months, and it releases late May

Is D4 really that bad

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Is D4 really that bad

There's been a few folks asking about it over in the D4 thread. My take: its pretty, works great with a controller, has good music, has some cool boss fights. The campaign is obviously superior to Diablo 3. You'll have a really fun 15 hours with it but after that it's kind of up to how broken your brain is.

In short, on gamepass, definitely worth playing. Especially couch co-op is with friends.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
screw diablo, hot wheels unleashed 2 is on gp now!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

Never used mine but have big cravings to play Forza Horizon 2 which was delisted years ago and I was a dummy that didn't get it digital when it was available :(

It is honestly a bigger bummer that that thing is delisted and trapped at 1080p30 targeting base Xbone than Forza 4 being trapped on 360. FH2 owns and telling people that just feels pointless.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Kinda wild nobody seems to give a gently caress about Diablo 4 on GamePass. Is it even out? I didn’t get any ads or notifications. I did notice the loading image for the Xbox pc app changed from black to a reddish color, but it could be for any other game really

Mean while I’ve been asked to preinstall Senua 2 for months, and it releases late May

Is D4 really that bad

I think it drops tonight. I'll definitely give it a spin but I'm not super hopeful.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
D4 is a good ARPG, I don't think I have any obvious bad things to say about it, but it didn't hook me into hundreds of hours like the previous Diablos. Something about it didn't tickle my brainworms. Worth trying for free, and I've been thinking about going back in for achievements.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Is D4 really that bad

I was dumb enough to buy it on release and I had a lot of fun with it and finished the main quest. Piddled around with the first season of the live service, got bored, didn't finish the battle pass, haven't wanted to play it since.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I'll mess around with it again because I think they're adding ray tracing to it, at least the pc version. I still have it installed so might as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Playing the opening, just finished the first small dungeon as the game tries to do a slow, impactful sequence with suspenseful music and quotes appearing on the screen...

NETWORK ERROR
The game connection has been lost: your client has been disconnected from the server.