Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

TheScott2K posted:

It is honestly a bigger bummer that that thing is delisted and trapped at 1080p30 targeting base Xbone than Forza 4 being trapped on 360. FH2 owns and telling people that just feels pointless.

Every Horizon is a banger and offers compelling reasons to revisit; none of them make earlier versions obsolete (especially with DLC).

Even with a Series X I'm tempted to buy the memory expansion just for the series because collectively they take up half your storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
My impression of D4 is that the gameplay is fun, but when you hit max level, instead of thinking “the real game starts here”, it’s more like “gently caress, the serious grind starts here”.

I think that’s also where the mtx stuff gets more obnoxious. Plus it didn’t help that the first season sucked and the first patch was a disaster (instead of buffing the bad classes, they nerfed the good ones lol)

But I’m still keen to check it out on gamepass! Might have to wait until after the free weekend for cyberpunk and mirage is done tho

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

webmeister posted:

My impression of D4 is that the gameplay is fun, but when you hit max level, instead of thinking “the real game starts here”, it’s more like “gently caress, the serious grind starts here”.

I think that’s also where the mtx stuff gets more obnoxious. Plus it didn’t help that the first season sucked and the first patch was a disaster (instead of buffing the bad classes, they nerfed the good ones lol)

But I’m still keen to check it out on gamepass! Might have to wait until after the free weekend for cyberpunk and mirage is done tho

My issue with the game was that I didn't find an exciting item in like 45 hours of playtime. Yes some of it looked cool, but all the itemisation is so incremental that it feels like you're just riding the gentlest incline possible. I like finding something great and being rewarded with a power spike, but D4 never gave me that.

I'll also never play Diablo more than the main story. Not sure if that's the more common way to go, but it felt very anaemic as an arpg campaign.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

In the alternate scenario the Xbox basically is just a PC. What would be their motivation in that scenario? Why does it even matter that it’s an Xbox anymore?

If they're no longer following the subsidized console model, they can adjust prices to sell hardware at a profit. If they do that there's no reason for the Xbox to not be a PC with a Xbox mode, with the brand finally completing the transition to becoming a software/store ecosystem that's part of a greater whole, offering far more flexibility (with a broader amount of hardware options, desktop PCs, set top boxes, laptops, handhelds) with a much broader library than Sony could possibly offer. The Series consoles become the set top boxes, a way to play PC/Xbox games with a gamepad-oriented interface.

I have zero interest in buying an Xbox as is, but one that runs my Steam games? That'd get me to buy one, but the only way that can practically happen is if the Xbox were updated to run Windows software, since I doubt Valve is as desperate as EGS is to agree to a marketing deal that drives people away from their storefront.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Play Last Epoch if you want a really good action RPG.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Youtube Premium 3 months free is a Game Pass perk now. Is there anything more to it then no commercials? Because my ad blocker takes care of that.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

1glitch0 posted:

Youtube Premium 3 months free is a Game Pass perk now. Is there anything more to it then no commercials? Because my ad blocker takes care of that.

YouTube music. I do most of my YouTube through my xbox so premium is worth it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Woot has refurbished Series X units for $299.99
https://electronics.woot.com/offers/xbox-series-x-console-grade-a-refurbished-9

1glitch0 posted:

If you're watching on a phone or tablet, the ability to put the video in the corner and do something else is a premium feature. I signed up for a trial when my ads started becoming mostly "Hillary did this" "Trump did this" in the lead up to the 2016 election and never looked back.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Premium watches also give more money to content creators than ads would if you did watch them.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I bought one of these from them recently and I got a console that would randomly shut itself off. I was able to return it for little hassle, but I don't really want to try my luck again.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

1glitch0 posted:

If you're watching on anything other than a browser regularly, removing ads is a godsend. Nothing blocks ads on Youtube apps as far as I can tell, not even my pihole that blocks so much stuff I usually have to whitelist something to make store checkouts work properly.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Volte posted:

If you're watching on anything other than a browser regularly, removing ads is a godsend. Nothing blocks ads on Youtube apps as far as I can tell, not even my pihole that blocks so much stuff I usually have to whitelist something to make store checkouts work properly.

Yeah I have premium. I fly a bit so I download stuff to watch on the plane sometimes. No ads on console/tv apps is good too.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

If it were up to me I'd cancel all of our streaming subs except YouTube premium.

And Paramount. Gotta get my Trek.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

ColdPie posted:

If it were up to me I'd cancel all of our streaming subs except YouTube premium.

With how Paramount is going you might be able to buy up the entire company soon.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lammasu posted:

With how Paramount is going you might be able to buy up the entire company soon.

Man it'd be sweet if they fail and go crawling back to Netflix.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

McTimmy posted:

Premium watches also give more money to content creators than ads would if you did watch them.

RLM going to be living large for the next 3 months!

Lammasu posted:

YouTube music. I do most of my YouTube through my xbox so premium is worth it.

I'll check out Youtube music too. I've never looked in that tab.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SCheeseman posted:

If they're no longer following the subsidized console model, they can adjust prices to sell hardware at a profit. If they do that there's no reason for the Xbox to not be a PC with a Xbox mode, with the brand finally completing the transition to becoming a software/store ecosystem that's part of a greater whole, offering far more flexibility (with a broader amount of hardware options, desktop PCs, set top boxes, laptops, handhelds) with a much broader library than Sony could possibly offer. The Series consoles become the set top boxes, a way to play PC/Xbox games with a gamepad-oriented interface.

I have zero interest in buying an Xbox as is, but one that runs my Steam games? That'd get me to buy one, but the only way that can practically happen is if the Xbox were updated to run Windows software, since I doubt Valve is as desperate as EGS is to agree to a marketing deal that drives people away from their storefront.

Yeah I dunno. I guess only time will tell, but that seems super unlikely to me. I fully expect it to serve as some sort of cross buy feature and nothing more, personally.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I dunno. I guess only time will tell, but that seems super unlikely to me. I fully expect it to serve as some sort of cross buy feature and nothing more, personally.

It's admittedly a long shot, it's a radical move. But if they're going to leave the traditional console model behind they might as well go full hog rather than limp along until the next "generation" (if that even means anything anymore).

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

ColdPie posted:

Why are all the good perks only for US.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
I gave control another chance and this time it clicked, a really good game. Know what I love most? No loving choices that dilute the gameplay story. Loved the fakeout „should I tell Pope about my past“, and then she made the best choice that fit the character. How about that?

Also combat difficulty goes way down if you dump all points into launch.

I usually don‘t play dlc but for this game I gave Foundation a try and it‘s … okay. Caverns simply are not as interesting as cool eerie office building settings.

Neco fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 29, 2024

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SUNKOS posted:

Yeah I like white too but doesn't it discolor/yellow after so long? I'd like to see an Apple-style aluminum console. That would be really nice and probably be handy for thermals as well.

My Xbox360 (my 2nd one) is an arcade model from 2008 and its white is still perfect. I only replaced the front faceplate because the original got a big crack when moving years ago.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

SCheeseman posted:

Presumably the XBox could run Windows software in a similar manner to the way that the Steam Deck does, without running Windows? MS have a lot of expertise in-house on virtualization stuff as well. So it feels feasible, at least.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Xbox One/Series dashboard is already a cut-down version of Windows 11.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I’m tempted to plug a mouse and keyboard in for planet zoo :negative:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

kri kri posted:

I’m tempted to plug a mouse and keyboard in for planet zoo :negative:

Even if you do that, it doesn't use the keyboard shortcuts of the PC version.

I promise it does get better after some practice. After a while, you'll be bouncing through the menus like a pro controller artist.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

The Kins posted:

The Xbox One/Series dashboard is already a cut-down version of Windows 11.

That's not actually correct at all as I recently learned, common misunderstanding. The Xbox OS is it's own branch of the NT core that did originate from what was being built for Windows 8, and does get updated along side Windows, but doesn't share or derive from the actual Windows parts at all.
What it does share is too low level to be relevant, essentially, and nothing gets "stripped down" either.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 29, 2024

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Apparently Mojang managed a successful heist of PS5 dev kits, various entities who poke around the PSN backend have found the groundwork laid for a native PS5 version of Minecraft, likely coming soon. Probably means a proper Series version will come at around the same time, and that Xbox will stay winning.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

Apparently Mojang managed a successful heist of PS5 dev kits, various entities who poke around the PSN backend have found the groundwork laid for a native PS5 version of Minecraft, likely coming soon. Probably means a proper Series version will come at around the same time, and that Xbox will stay winning.

I believe they just recently upgraded Minecraft to actually use 4k on the X.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FunOne posted:

Big if true, although it appears to still be built on Durango with no Series enhancements.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FunOne posted:

Only took them ten years lol

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

Big if true, although it appears to still be built on Durango with no Series enhancements.

https://feedback.minecraft.net/hc/en-us/articles/24797348001037-Minecraft-1-20-70-71-Bedrock

Nope, just 4k. Only took 3 years.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Neco posted:

I usually don‘t play dlc but for this game I gave Foundation a try and it‘s … okay. Caverns simply are not as interesting as cool eerie office building settings.

Yeah agreed, I loved the main game but Foundation didn’t hit the same heights. The new abilities are a bit underwhelming to: create platform which didn’t get used in interesting ways, or shatter which is just smashing crystals with your gun.

Finishing it off for the cheevos, but probably won’t last on my HDD beyond that

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://sellout.woot.com/offers/xbox-series-x-console-grade-a-refurbished-10

They updated it for an employee discount to $150 for whatever was left. All sold out.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I gave Diablo 4 a try, but it's not for me. I don't know why you can't move and attack simultaneously, it feels clunky and antique.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

John F Bennett posted:

I gave Diablo 4 a try, but it's not for me. I don't know why you can't move and attack simultaneously, it feels clunky and antique.
What ARPG lets you move and attack simultaneously (aside from specific attacks that cause you to move)? I mean I also think Diablo 4 sucks, it just seems like pretty much a universal staple of the genre.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

John F Bennett posted:

Most rogue skills let you do this fyi.

Volte posted:

What ARPG lets you move and attack simultaneously (aside from specific attacks that cause you to move)? I mean I also think Diablo 4 sucks, it just seems like pretty much a universal staple of the genre.

Path of Exile 2 will have wasd movement and it's going to work like this. It looks cool as hell. Not sure how it's gonna work with controller but this console streamer guy got to play it last week and said it felt awesome. So apparently it does?

Cool footage of the game in that video.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

External Organs posted:

Most rogue skills let you do this fyi.

Path of Exile 2 will have wasd movement and it's going to work like this. It looks cool as hell. Not sure how it's gonna work with controller but this console streamer guy got to play it last week and said it felt awesome. So apparently it does?

Cool footage of the game in that video.
That looks pretty awesome. It's nice to see fluid movement being a priority.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I get sick of Diablo style games quick, but that dude is really selling me on POE2. I love isometric games but the whole looty diablo style click to win gameplay is so boring to me. I've always wanted to play one with maybe less enemies and more focus on dodging and blocking so if that's what they are going for with POE2 I'm gonna check it out for sure.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It looks fun I agree, but it's definitely gonna be a loot fest.

Free to play though so nothing to lose with trying it. I highly recommend the PoE thread, we have a good time in there. Currently there's no release date for PoE 2. Beta towards the end of the year (hopefully).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
The Quarry is exactly my poo poo, I'm having a lot of fun with these idiots