Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
stux and ethanol, the sony defense squad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ethan has owned more xbones than anyone in this thread other than uni

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i constantly complain about the ps4 to everybody that listens but im also incredibly apathetic about loyalty to any console it just pains me to see such fine posters as yourselves post fake news all the time. im more of an xbox man, i like to see posts about the xbox not sony

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If I had to rate my brand loyalty it would be pepsi - 10, coke - 0, mcdonalds - 6, burger king - 5, sony - 5, microsoft - 5, nintendo - 5

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

ethanol posted:

so you can buy the new console in 2 years when it has games and is $100 cheaper like a normal person

In 2 years there will be maybe one next gen release worth paying for. Coronavirus might make that even worse.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

ethanol posted:

If I had to rate my brand loyalty it would be pepsi - 10, coke - 0, mcdonalds - 6, burger king - 5,

Your taste in soda sucks (unless you're a mountain dew man because coke has nothing to offer against that) and your taste in fast food seems limited. Does your town just not have real fast food? Are the two lovely chains the only ones you have available? Do you have small children who won't eat fast food unless it comes in an ugly cardboard box or with an ugly cardboard crown?

On a more Xbox related note, did the rest of you know that Ascent has 4 player couch co-op? because I found that out today while browsing the official xbox pages of the games from their underwhelming games showcase, and now I'm actually a little excited about it.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/the-ascent

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xbox should try and conquer japan again with some interesting games. Not cause it will work tho, just for me to play them games

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

TheAnomaly posted:

Your taste in soda sucks (unless you're a mountain dew man because coke has nothing to offer against that) and your taste in fast food seems limited. Does your town just not have real fast food? Are the two lovely chains the only ones you have available? Do you have small children who won't eat fast food unless it comes in an ugly cardboard box or with an ugly cardboard crown?

On a more Xbox related note, did the rest of you know that Ascent has 4 player couch co-op? because I found that out today while browsing the official xbox pages of the games from their underwhelming games showcase, and now I'm actually a little excited about it.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/the-ascent

oh u mean like for real, i dont drink soda or eat fast food but ill break for a fast food hot wings pub type deal but the one i like the most rn isnt a chain im way too fuckin gcool for that dont at me at again

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

taco stands are where it's at

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

im sorry, my apologies to in n out burger, you are the best

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Real hurthling! posted:

Xbox should try and conquer japan again with some interesting games. Not cause it will work tho, just for me to play them games

I'm surprised most of Sega's 360/XBLA library is available in XB1 BC. I don't have a 360 anymore, and I didn't get either an XB1 or PS4 this gen, so getting access to my XBLA games again would be nice, especially if VF6 never happens.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

They squandered so much. The Ninja Gaiden games were classics that they allowed to slip through their fingers rather than lock down (but maybe out of their control since that lead guy was a creep and got sacked), they had a solid relationship with From Software from Xbox to the early 360 days that they gave up on (and then they went and made Demon's Souls), they even had one of the best shmup developers (Cave) porting exclusively to Xbox and managed to secure an exclusive from up-and-coming Platinum Games before Sega stepped in and made Bayonetta multiplat.

They had the intuition and were forging good relationships (didn't they even get some respected talent working on JRPGs for them on 360?) with a lot of Japanese devs that didn't matter much in Japan but was definitely having an effect overseas with people who wanted those games. They also managed to get a lot of formerly Sony-exclusive third party devs to bring their franchises to Xbox (Final Fantasy, Tekken, Metal Gear Solid etc.) which was huge. Then there's the unthinkables like getting Sega to make Jet Set Radio Future and Capcom investing in the insanity that was Steel Battalion.

Maybe they assumed since they were on a roll they didn't need to do any more than that but they really should have fostered those working relationships more. I mean the Souls games own but the best game FromSoft ever made imo was Chromehounds shortly after the 360 launch and it's still one of the best online games ever made. Sucks that we'll likely never get a sequel because playing that with goons was ridiculously fun.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'm still so fuckin mad at myself for missing out on chromehounds argh

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of the Xbox in Japan, there was a recent interview with Platinum Games' Atsushi Inaba and Hideki Kamiya:

Hideki Kamiya posted:

Kamiya: I don’t know if I’m really fit to give advice on how somebody should run their platform since only some of my games have sold well. But if I were to share my innocent opinion as a gamer, I would say that ever since the Xbox has been introduced to the Japanese market it’s always felt like something foreign and far away. It doesn’t feel like it’s ever been cultivated for Japanese tastes.

It reminds me of the NES and Super NES days when I had to go to these really niche game stores to get foreign games you could only get through import. They weren’t localised to Japan or anything, they were just imports that you were kind of buying just to have this rare token as a gamer.

I think that Microsoft Japan could do more to market towards actual Japanese gamers’ tastes for their console. If you want a concrete example, when you unlock an Achievement it says ‘Achievement unlocked’ and in Japanese, this phrase is translated extremely literally. Compare that with Sony’s Trophies: that idea is very easy to grasp and even in Japanese the word ‘trophy’ is the same as in English. There’s no awkward translation and it’s easy to understand.

Achievements have been part of Xbox since the 360 days and we’ve just come to expect it at this point, but it’s something that when I really think about it, doesn’t really have any meaning in Japanese. I feel like that could have been localised better. I think maybe someone should tell Phil Spencer that the Japanese translation for Achievement is a little literal [laughs].

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Achievement unlocked is pretty literal what is it in japanese?

Game goal met?
Objective rewards accessed?

This is rhetorical ofc since no one owns a jpn xbox except for the scalebound devs

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Achievement unlocked is pretty literal what is it in japanese?

Maybe they mean "unlocked" as in a door and it doesn't really work when talking about something figurative like that.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

does achievement unlocked mean anything in english either

do we unlock achievements irl

we've just been programmed by xbox live

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xbot hive

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Has anyone said "xbox hive" ye- poo poo.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Has anyone called it the XBox SeX yet?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Real hurthling! posted:

ya know if i really wanted to play high res versions of old xbox games i'd have the current xbox that was advertised as doing that instead of paying another 500 dollars for the same thing with still no new games

I skipped this current gen of Xbox but still have a bunch of classic OG/360 games, I wouldn't want to have to buy a lame-duck console

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its not a lame duck for 2 more years

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Real hurthling! posted:

Its not a lame duck for 2 more years

That's maybe-possibly true for the PS4, but if the XboneseX gets any traction at all I think you'll be surprised how quickly the Xbone disappears.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They're the same thing. If you don't care about 4K60 there's no reason to get an XSX anytime soon.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm pretty sure the plan is to move onto selling Xbox 4s and stop making Xbox 3s asap.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Definitely they are gonna drop the One X.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

That's maybe-possibly true for the PS4, but if the XboneseX gets any traction at all I think you'll be surprised how quickly the Xbone disappears.

Idk the gamepass strategy compels them to deliver content regularly to all units.

Its not like nintendo saying ds is another pillar of their strategy and then killing gba when it hit big.

Its aaron greenburg promising fans that their investment in xbox will be honored into the future in clear language for 1-2 years.

Even the bone s cant go. Its the core of the xcloud project.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

This is rhetorical ofc since no one owns a jpn xbox except for the scalebound devs

Excuse you, I exist.

I dont speak Japanese and am therefore not relevant to your actual point, but dammit

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Yeah my guess is that the old models will continue to be supported, with a significantly degraded experience vs the higher end, for the time they've committed to.

But they're going to push xCloud very, very hard even on lower end consoles. Sure, you can play that game locally, but it'll run kinda poo poo, or you can pay $X/mo for xCloud to "upgrade to the Series X Experience". Which will probably be a pretty compelling value proposition to a lot of people who don't want to shell out $X00 for the new hot console, honestly. I'm still skeptical on game streaming for a few reasons but I can't deny it's a compelling pitch.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
xCloud is running on S hardware though, and I don't see them upgrading it anytime soon. xCloud isn't Stadia. It's not trying to give you the best quality stream. It's just to let you play your Xbox games when you're not at your Xbox.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Definitely they are gonna drop the One X.

i think t heyre going to keep making the one x until they do whatever lower end version exists for the series x

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its unrealistic to stream 4k to a phone sized screen that looks good even at lower res. Xcloud is smart to not care about visuals for that service, but yeah they needed to start at a higher tech spec. The old rear end cpu in even the 1x is not future proof .

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm in the xCloud beta and it was cool for the novelty of playing Forza on my phone while I was home for Thanksgiving but I can't see myself seriously using it ever. I'm not much of a traveler and I like gaming on the big TV.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah im not the market for it either. I even stopped remote playing games when wifes using tv. I'll just wait for optimal experience or grab switch

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

American McGay posted:

xCloud is running on S hardware though, and I don't see them upgrading it anytime soon. xCloud isn't Stadia. It's not trying to give you the best quality stream. It's just to let you play your Xbox games when you're not at your Xbox.

I thought MS officially said they were switching the hardware to a racked version of Series X in 2021/2022

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

As we've seen in the past, what happens with production of the previous gen is mostly predicated on how successful the new system is. Nintendo promised to continue GBA support for a time after the DS' launch but because the DS sold insanely well pretty much out the gate, they dropped the GBA extremely quickly.

If they are going to have a weaker lower-cost version of the Series X that would very easily justify them dropping the One X outright, maybe keeping the One S/SADbone a bit longer for a "lowest cost" solution.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I thought MS officially said they were switching the hardware to a racked version of Series X in 2021/2022

They are, but we dont know the rush or if they'll have inventory for that for the first year

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

As we've seen in the past, what happens with production of the previous gen is mostly predicated on how successful the new system is. Nintendo promised to continue GBA support for a time after the DS' launch but because the DS sold insanely well pretty much out the gate, they dropped the GBA extremely quickly.

If they are going to have a weaker lower-cost version of the Series X that would very easily justify them dropping the One X outright, maybe keeping the One S/SADbone a bit longer for a "lowest cost" solution.

Those nintendo consoles had different game pipelines. Xbox is one fam.

They will certainly stop selling the legacy units soon but they are on record with greater than one year of full software support

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Those nintendo consoles had different game pipelines. Xbox is one fam.

They will certainly stop selling the legacy units soon but they are on record with greater than one year of full software support

Oh I think they'll make good on their 1 year of support, they just might axe the Xbox One X (not the S) sooner than that. Will depend on cost mainly, like if they release this lower-powered Series X and it's the same price or cheaper than an X that makes getting a new X pointless (then they maybe just keep it on the Microsoft Store until their supply runs out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I want to see comparisons between 1x and lockhart. 1x is technically more tflops than the rumor. Should be a good demo of how misleading that stat is as the new 8bit vs 16bit buzzword