Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I'm super glad he confirmed the S is more powerful than the 7 year old hardware (but definitely not as powerful as the 3 year old hardware that costs the same)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Thank you for shedding light on the situation Billy Khan💖🦄✨

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

American McGay posted:

Thank you for shedding light on the situation Billy Khan💖🦄✨

he';s the lead engine dev at iD

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Here's the tail end of another heated gamedev moment.

Another

So yeah, it really sounds like it's PS5 being effectively 2.5 times more powerful power-wise than the Xbox Series, because the lowest spec "wins" in these scenarios.

existential anger
Jun 4, 2012

It really about the different priorities of companies involved in the gaming space. Its clear the Series S, together with things like All Access, is simply a vehicle to lock people in Microsoft subscription services. The Series X honestly seems more of a halo product intended to help make the $300 look like a better deal with how they and Xbox evangelists are advertising it (plays the same games as Series X but $200 less).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xbox stays winning

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I remember the halcyon days when people thought the PC would actually be a bottleneck in next gen performance, without the new blazing fast SSD tech

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

3rd party games all needing to plan around 7.5 gb of ram for the next seven years is a pretty big own on sony.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Microsoft talking a page from Nintendo's book and making a $300 last gen console, but ignoring the more-important pages about having exclusives anyone cares about and having portability as a value-add

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

existential anger posted:

It really about the different priorities of companies involved in the gaming space. Its clear the Series S, together with things like All Access, is simply a vehicle to lock people in Microsoft subscription services. The Series X honestly seems more of a halo product intended to help make the $300 look like a better deal with how they and Xbox evangelists are advertising it (plays the same games as Series X but $200 less).

I mean that's the plan obviously, yes, but what's happening is that devs who normally should be able to whole hog and do absolutely crazy poo poo with video games is now hobbled by a system that's going to require concessions in game design in order to make this work. It at least has the SSD so there's that, but it has less RAM than the console Microsoft launched four years ago. Games have to be designed around the lower amount of RAM, a modern PC game that requires 8 gigs of RAM at 1080p is probably not going to be runnable at all on 4 gigs of RAM even if I lower the res to 640x480, RAM doesn't just power p's and rays and frames.

This is exactly why Sony is fully invested in the concepts of generations and clear break points, instead of still supporting a 7-year-old system that was an embarrassment when it was new and has been an albatross around Microsoft's neck ever since.

Real hurthling! posted:

3rd party games all needing to plan around 7.5 gb of ram for the next seven years is a pretty big own on sony.

It's going to be an interesting console shift, for sure. Xbox is in a pretty weak position going into this gen and how that'll translate to sales (or a lack thereof) is going to have a pretty significant impact on the decisions devs make about how to develop their games.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Don’t forget the part where Series S will only run Xbox One S versions of current gen games because they hosed up the RAM again.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 11, 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Rad Valtar posted:

Don’t forget the part where Series X will only run Xbox One S versions of current gen games because they hosed up the RAM again.

I think that's Series S

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

TheScott2K posted:

I think that's Series S

gently caress this naming bullshit. I fixed it.

Also it’s quite obvious why they discontinued the One X before the new consoles came out.

existential anger
Jun 4, 2012

univbee posted:

I mean that's the plan obviously, yes, but what's happening is that devs who normally should be able to whole hog and do absolutely crazy poo poo with video games is now hobbled by a system that's going to require concessions in game design in order to make this work. It at least has the SSD so there's that, but it has less RAM than the console Microsoft launched four years ago. Games have to be designed around the lower amount of RAM, a modern PC game that requires 8 gigs of RAM at 1080p is probably not going to be runnable at all on 4 gigs of RAM even if I lower the res to 640x480, RAM doesn't just power p's and rays and frames.

This is exactly why Sony is fully invested in the concepts of generations and clear break points, instead of still supporting a 7-year-old system that was an embarrassment when it was new and has been an albatross around Microsoft's neck ever since.

I don't think Microsoft cares about kneecapping games or increasing the rate console refreshes occur. Look at Halo Infinite, they were probably going to release the game in a similar state until the collective internet dunked on them. Services is a simple numbers game and most of the value of Gamepass is giving value through mostly sheer quantity.

If we look at the response from Xbox Evangelists, the response has been of two things. 1) 1080P/60fps is a non-factor because its cheap and has incredible value because of Gamepass and 2) the possibility of the Series S aging badly isn't a problem because you can just buy a Series X when that time comes. That seems to be what Microsoft is banking on.

existential anger fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 11, 2020

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
wrong ram 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

*taps forehead* Can't be hobbled by xbox if you don't develop for it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

the possibility of the Series S aging badly isn't a problem

I mean it objectively is because devs making Xbox games have to make their games compatible with this SKU and that will be the case for the next decade because Microsoft can't kill support for it. You as an individual upgrading to a Series X doesn't fix this core problem.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I don't think Microsoft cares about kneecapping games or increasing the rate console refreshes occur. Look at Halo Infinite, they were probably going to release the game in a similar state until the collective internet dunked on them. Services is a simple numbers game and most of the value of Gamepass is giving value through mostly sheer quantity.

If we look at the response from Xbox Evangelists, the response has been of two things. 1) 1080P/60fps is a non-factor because its cheap and has incredible value because of Gamepass and 2) the possibility of the Series S aging badly isn't a problem because you can just buy a Series X when that time comes. That seems to be what Microsoft is banking on.

They will announce even newer redundant consoles within 2 years anyway if current trends continue. Problem solved!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I guess Halo Infinite looking like it did makes a lot more sense now.

existential anger
Jun 4, 2012

univbee posted:

I mean it objectively is because devs making Xbox games have to make their games compatible with this SKU and that will be the case for the next decade because Microsoft can't kill support for it. You as an individual upgrading to a Series X doesn't fix this core problem.

Oh I absolutely agree but its a serious justification people have given in response to the negative dev response to the Series S specs.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

very excited by microsoft blowing it again except annoyed it will hobble multiplats

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

https://twitter.com/IdleSloth84/status/1304218062275698696

A rumor, but it would be funny if it had truth

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its the fusion dance but buu eats them immediately anyway

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fat_Cow posted:

Looking forward to the mid-mid gens Series T, U, and W.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Needs to be series E, c'mon

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Haha that's the most obvious fake since the Sony PS5 in February full reveal marketing document.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Microsoft is dumb.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The joycons are the worst controllers made in the last 20 years

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Lammasu posted:

I'm halfway seriously asking if you're like a fundamentalist Muslim that thinks they can't get into heaven if they owe money

What in the actual gently caress is wrong with you?

On topic: After reading about the new game pass AND the fact that you can get the console with monthly payments, I'm tempted to switch sides. I like the idea of being able to get the system and the pass/live all in one payment plan. I just want to see how they handle it, as in can you unsubscribe at any time and return the system? Or are you locked into a 24 month contract. I want to know if I can opt out and return the system if I want to switch back to PS5.

Fat_Cow posted:

Aww man, they missed the opportunity to name it the Series IN. Here's hoping someone gets my mid 80's pop/rock joke.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 11, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is your credit above 700? They are charging interest through a creditor if not on those payment plans

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Yeah, but I haven't been able to find any details on contract vs. non-contractual obligations, etc.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Manxome Foe posted:

Yeah, but I haven't been able to find any details on contract vs. non-contractual obligations, etc.

https://www.citizensone.com/XAA

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Is your credit above 700? They are charging interest through a creditor if not on those payment plans

Alienating prominent brick and mortar retailers like Rent-A-Center

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Citizensbox One

^^^
Gamestop will be offering financing for new consoles now also

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

this isnt any different from the buy now pay later that has been on amazon for what like 15 years

dont be late because like any shady credit company they charge a late fee. $27

ethanol fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 11, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ethanol posted:

this isnt any different from the buy now pay later that has been on amazon for what like 15 years

But now games media is hyping it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Manxome Foe posted:

What in the actual gently caress is wrong with you?

On topic: After reading about the new game pass AND the fact that you can get the console with monthly payments, I'm tempted to switch sides. I like the idea of being able to get the system and the pass/live all in one payment plan. I just want to see how they handle it, as in can you unsubscribe at any time and return the system? Or are you locked into a 24 month contract. I want to know if I can opt out and return the system if I want to switch back to PS5.

Aww man, they missed the opportunity to name it the Series IN. Here's hoping someone gets my mid 80's pop/rock joke.

If you aren't sure if you want one, don't enter into a legally binding agreement where you have to have one for 2 years.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Is there anything in EA Play that is Xbox Series X enhanced?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Manxome Foe posted:

It's not a lease, or even really a subscription, it's just plain old 0% APR consumer credit. You're buying the console + 24 months of game pass ultimate for $25*24.

The Grey posted:

Anthem, Battlefields, and the latest Plants vs Zombies branded games, ha.

Whoops, I read this as BoneX enhanced. It’s slim pickings even for that.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Grey posted:

In theory FIFA and Madden as 10-hour trials, but they might get cute and only offer the regular XB1 version this way.

What does EA even have coming out in future other than Squadrons?