Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Xbox: 8.2%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

It's weird, I'm edging towards a Series S to get a chance to play this gen's exclusive Xbox games, which I've completely missed out on.

That said, if they upgrade the frame rates for all the PS4 games from 30 to 60 for free, the 399 PS5 sounds like a good deal?

Gaming on the PS4 honestly hasn't been the best experience with the slow HD and lower image quality (compared to PC at least)

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 17, 2020

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tezzeract posted:

It's weird, I'm edging towards a Series S to get a chance to play this gen's exclusive Xbox games, which I've completely missed out on.

What Xbox exclusives? They're pretty much all on PC too, incidentally.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

PS5DE makes the Series S look like a joke

A joke that will unfortunately bottleneck all third party games for the next 7 years

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tezzeract posted:

That said, if they upgrade the frame rates for all the PS4 games from 30 to 60 for free

that seems unlikely. for most titles, anyway.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

AdmiralViscen posted:

A joke that will unfortunately bottleneck all third party games for the next 7 years

devs need to just not support it and tell microsoft to gently caress off. nobody is gonna buy it anyway

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Super No Vacancy posted:

devs need to just not support it and tell microsoft to gently caress off. nobody is gonna buy it anyway

yes i'm sure sony would continue being the good guy when there's zero competition lmao

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

My name is Michael X. Box and I am going to be buying the Playstation 45

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

yes i'm sure sony would continue being the good guy when there's zero competition lmao

- The Switch still exists.
- Some of the best gaming years were when Sony had an effective monopoly with the PS2.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Nuts and Gum posted:

they can still put a series x version out

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i mean what genuine competition is microsoft now??

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

univbee posted:

- The Switch still exists.
- Some of the best gaming years were when Sony had an effective monopoly with the PS2.

Nintendo isn't competing with anyone else.

Reminder the second Sony felt they owned the gaming landscape they released a 600 dollar console to push their proprietary bluray format.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

to push their proprietary bluray format.

And that's why movies aren't still put out on the worse HD-DVD format, a.k.a. the horse Microsoft backed.

You're welcome.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

Reminder the second Sony felt they owned the gaming landscape they released a 600 dollar console to push their proprietary bluray format.

and it worked, killed HD-DVD didn't it?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
My point is they were motivated by self interest and hosed up the second they got near complete control over the market.

Yeah the strategy worked, it just took 6 years of lovely cross gen ports compared to the 360 and by then everyone was streaming anyway.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

AdmiralViscen posted:

Series S is just like Series X, but without 4k and without a disk drive. How is that a joke?

I am considering getting it since I don't have a 4k TV.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

The Grey posted:

Series S is just like Series X, but without 4k and without a disk drive. How is that a joke?

Oh you poor boy.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Grey posted:

Don't listen to the trolls. Enjoy your budget next-gen gaming system. Xbox and Game Pass ftw.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
If you dont' plan on upgrading the Series S is a fantastic value.

But you should probably upgrade.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Xbox hosed up by not having preorders earlier. I'm an Xbox guy but have now secured a ps5 and may hold off on a series X.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Nintendo has strong first party games, Microsoft has Halo which wont be out until 2021 and maybe another gears game. I dusted off xbone recenty and god their interface is awful compared to the PS4s

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Spiderman and Horizon will have PS4 versions.

Is everyone going to rip Sony like they did Microsoft now?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Xbox hosed up by not having preorders earlier. I'm an Xbox guy but have now secured a ps5 and may hold off on a series X.
Xbox hosed up because you have bad impulse control?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The Grey posted:

Because that will almost certainly not be the only downgrade performed to get games to run on it, especially in two years when the cross gen stuff dries up.

And paying $100 more for a fully functional future-proof 4K device that will also have more games is enough to make it a joke even if they somehow keep their “just the resolution” promise

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

The Grey posted:

Yeah, I think that's really stupid.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I mean it's not stupid, but you know what I mean.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Nuts and Gum posted:

this one?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

American McGay posted:

Xbox hosed up because you have bad impulse control?

No, and if you can't understand why not having preorders available is bad when their competition does and people are trying to decide which to get that's on your poor reasoning skills.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

AdmiralViscen posted:

Because that will almost certainly not be the only downgrade performed to get games to run on it, especially in two years when the cross gen stuff dries up.

And paying $100 more for a fully functional future-proof 4K device that will also have more games is enough to make it a joke even if they somehow keep their “just the resolution” promise

Series X is $200 more then Series S.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Yeah that one. What's your point?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Notice how PS2 is at the top of the list, Xbox is at the bottom of the list?
Now notice how PS3 and Xbox 360 are right next to each other?

That is how you properly read that chart.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Grey posted:

Will it be possible to convert them into PS5 versions?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Grey posted:

They at least have the option to stop for future releases or just not do it with other games. Microsoft is forced to make everything for Series S for the long haul.

Also the PS4 is a good console.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

No, and if you can't understand why not having preorders available is bad when their competition does and people are trying to decide which to get that's on your poor reasoning skills.
Nah it just sounds like impulse control. If you're making purchasing decisions based on what's currently available for you to preorder right now and not which one has the games you want to play or even which one comes out first (hint: it's not the PS5) then you're definitely a slave to the moment.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, they all upgrade for free.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
yeah I'm not getting the hate for releasing new games that work on the previous existing hardware with like 80 million user base. Oh nooo how could they!?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Grey posted:

Series X is $200 more then Series S.

They meant the Digital PS5 (since it will do proper next gen games without compromises)

Cojawfee posted:

Spider-Man: Miles Morales upgrades free. Horizon is far off and they haven't laid out specifics on that yet I don't think.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

yeah I'm not getting the hate for releasing new games that work on the previous existing hardware with like 80 million user base. Oh nooo how could they!?

I don't think anyone hates it, I just would prefer to have a clean break and for them to make the most of the new consoles.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Nuts and Gum posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

I think it's that Sony pitched them as being built from the ground up for PS5, and now we find out that PS4 can handle them.