Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Stux posted:

constantly looking under my tv at my consoles and getiting insanely mad about how they look

It's impossible to not stare at the PS5's size. It's like a gravity well for your eyes and also the rest of your body.

Because of it's mass, you see.

Stay safe my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
A rock solid 30 fps is fine for NFS Hot Pursuit, IMO. That's how it was made in the first place. 60 at 4k would have been nice, though.

Of course, the only version that matters is Switch and nobody was like "I bet that'll run at 60fps"

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Has any Need for Speed game ran at 60 fps on consoles? I don't think it's a priority for the franchise.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Actually Guess I never thought about it but I thought need for speed ran at whatever frames per second your miles per hour was at? So like, car goes 70mph your fps is 70. I thought it was the only way you could see the lane markers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

Actually Guess I never thought about it but I thought need for speed ran at whatever frames per second your miles per hour was at? So like, car goes 70mph your fps is 70. I thought it was the only way you could see the lane markers.

It's big brain time

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Did you think the game would run smoother when you changed from MPH to KPH?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

This Digital Foundry analysis is some good poo poo.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Blind Rasputin posted:

Found Derek Smarts alt.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

You're thinking Burnout

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Technically that could be a good solution if they only had bicycles, and no steep hills

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Zerot posted:

Did you think the game would run smoother when you changed from MPH to KPH?

It just converts from frames per second to lines per second.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

That would mean one frame is 45 centimeters high. Nolan didn't dream of projection like this!

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/TheMediumGame/status/1314551187245424640

I figured it wasn't a launch game, but I'm really excited to play it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zerot posted:

https://twitter.com/TheMediumGame/status/1314551187245424640

I figured it wasn't a launch game, but I'm really excited to play it.

First confirmed launch window game exclusive to that gen on Xbox, about time.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Digital Foundry has a look at Series X and external storage solutions. The results aren't terribly exciting but I think most people will be relying on cold storage and external drives for a while.

https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/1314566536032641027

quote:

As you might expect, the mechanical hard drive does not fair that well at all, but the difference between the SATA and NVMe units is interesting. In terms of raw write speeds, the NVMe drive is predictably quicker, but more curious is the fact that when it comes to read speeds (where we copied Modern Warfare 2019 back from the external storage to the internal drive), the gap closes significantly.

The NVMe drive is still faster, but not necessarily that much faster bearing in mind that we're transferring across 172.2GB of data, where in context, the difference is vanishingly small. In-game performance will be much more reliant on read speeds, suggesting that excellent loading times may well be within grasp for SATA drives, without the need to spend much more on an NVMe alternative.

quote:

Ultimately, I came away pleasantly surprised by the results. The hype surrounding next generation solid state drives has reached a fever pitch, but the bottom line is that it's going to be low level access via the Xbox Velocity Architecture that really sees the SSD reaching its full potential. With the existing library of Xbox games, we're looking at results similar to what we see on PC - an accelerant, and a wonderful one when paired with the huge leap in CPU decompression performance, but what we're seeing here really does suggest that the internal drive or indeed the bespoke £220/$220 external SSD is not really a must for your current library of Xbox games - you'll do just fine with a USB alternative, be it SATA or USB-based in nature.

All of which makes me wonder just how more performance there is to extract from the internal unit via the Xbox Velocity Architecture - and that's something we hope to be able to show you soon as the focus on backwards compatibility with Xbox Series X shifts to titles actually designed with the new console in mind.

EDIT: Here's the video, which includes some minor details not in the written article:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y-Fy1Q2O2k

Zerot fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 9, 2020

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

oh digitalfoundry...

quote:

You see, there's one disadvantage to the next-gen dream. Storage space on the internal solid state drive is at a premium - Xbox Series X ships with 802 useable gigs on the 1TB drive. On the one hand, that's actually an improvement over the 781GB of Xbox One X's 1TB HDD (my theory: Microsoft uses its hardware decompression engines to reduce the OS footprint, the console decompressing system files on demand).
that would be the hardware decompression engines that only work on textures then? or are they hinting at the simple system-level compression is being used that's been available on the windows platforms for years?

quote:

older Xbox titles cannot access the low level SSD APIs that truly revolutionise storage performance, so it may well be the case that keeping old games on the new drive is actually a sub-optimal use of the space anyway.
it's not really about the lack of access to APIs so much as the back-compat layer will throttle read speed and seek time to minimise race condition bugs

i was thrown off by their focus on the read/write differential when transferring games between drives. sure it's important for cold-storage concerns, but i didn't see anything to indicate they did any qualitative analysis to make sure their benchmarks are comparable. when it gets to the loading time comparison they grab ff15 a title well known for its very bizarre performance characteristics, and rise of the time raider, etc shows why. i still don't get why they're going with what looks to be an average loading time after describing variance rather than putting a box plot together like anyone else does

their final conclusion of interface quality affecting peak performance would be a novel find, except it highlights a lack of experience in testing near the cutting edge and how oyu can't just swap random off-the-shelf components around and call it an analysis.

i'll go watch the video but this article really doesn't sit right with me at all

e: from the video the emphasis on "xbox velocity architecture and low-level ssd apis" not being accessible to back-compat games... doesn't really make much sense to talk about rather than what i mentioned above and clouds the core system transfer examples by implying it has those limitations as well

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 9, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

univbee posted:

First confirmed launch window game exclusive to that gen on Xbox, about time.

Its on game pass, so Ill play Poland Presents: Quiet Mounds

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Is there a good site where I can easily check for places with preorders?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Ouhei posted:

Is there a good site where I can easily check for places with preorders?

If you're in the US, setting up notifications for https://twitter.com/wario64/ is probably going to be your best bet for finding live preorders, honestly. It sounds like people relying on places like https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/microsoftxboxseriesx/ aren't having a ton of luck. I don't have any insight for other regions.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wario sends out links to store pages before they are searchable on the stores themselves. Short of becoming a scalper with a bot army he's your best bet to get a heads up

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

well sony put up a page on their support site on ps5 backwards compatibility and are telling users to that ps4 games will be ps4-only: just deal with it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

well sony put up a page on their support site on ps5 backwards compatibility and are telling users to that ps4 games will be ps4-only: just deal with it

Wrong as a real post, not funny as a joke post!!! The worst combo!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Falconeer offers 120FPS mode which is great, if I owned a TV capable of either the resolution or the framerate on offer.

More interesting is that the loadtime is 13 seconds on X|S versus 42 on the One S

Im gonna end up owning this game I feel it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I have it but am gonna beat hades first before i install it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have been trying really hard to pre-order a PS5, and I keep an eye on Xbox Series X as a result. If you did not pre-order when they first went live at retailers, then you're not getting either system until launch day at the earliest. You'll maybe be able to walk into a retail store, or order online on that day if they have new stock, but chances are you aren't getting either system for awhile. Both companies way over estimated how many systems they'll actually have available this year.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zerot posted:

If you're in the US, setting up notifications for https://twitter.com/wario64/ is probably going to be your best bet for finding live preorders, honestly. It sounds like people relying on places like https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/microsoftxboxseriesx/ aren't having a ton of luck. I don't have any insight for other regions.

Thanks, I'll do that.

I said come in! posted:

I have been trying really hard to pre-order a PS5, and I keep an eye on Xbox Series X as a result. If you did not pre-order when they first went live at retailers, then you're not getting either system until launch day at the earliest. You'll maybe be able to walk into a retail store, or order online on that day if they have new stock, but chances are you aren't getting either system for awhile. Both companies way over estimated how many systems they'll actually have available this year.

I'm not gonna lose my mind if I can' get one right away, but I'm in front of my computer all day for work so if I can easily get an alert/check if there are any that pop up I may as well do that.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got a switch on launch day without preorder, people said the same thing about it being impossible

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ethan hunted a wild switch

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You'll always be able to get a console on launch day. It just depends on how rural of a neighborhood you live in and how long you're willing to wait at the store.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I didn’t get to the part where I waited in line at bestbuy for about 1.5 hours in -10 C and then they came out and gave us sheets of paper that said congrats you get to buy a switch come back in 2 hours (leave). I got Zelda with mine

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah thats what i mean. Ethan lives in nature

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I got mine at Wal-Mart but they ran out of Zeldas so we all hopped in our cars and sped over to the GameStop in the strip mall across the street.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Still can't believe I got a SNES Classic on release day.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I’m sure there will be other waves of availability before launch. If not, then in the days/weeks after launch.

I’ve never seen a console stay sold out for long, except the wii around Christmas time way back when. There were a lot less digital options and stock finding resources back then though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just overpaid for a switch bundle in release which came with ARMS and some useless travel case. I then sold ARMS because it was not a very good game and bought Zelda a much worse game.

At least the Switch has a good copy of Doom and Doom 2 on it.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsKHrWiYu4U

Just wait for the stampedes

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Barudak posted:

I just overpaid for a switch bundle in release which came with ARMS and some useless travel case. I then sold ARMS because it was not a very good game and bought Zelda a much worse game.

At least the Switch has a good copy of Doom and Doom 2 on it.

what the gently caress

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It was bait and you fell for it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
it isnt bait barudak genuinely feels that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So for some reason my Game Pass app can't find my Xbox One S. I can't remotely download games from it. This wouldn't be a problem but the download 5 games quest is worth 100 points this month so it's annoying me. I've done all the trouble shooting suggested in the FAQ to the best of my ability but nothing has worked. This is driving my OCD crazy.