Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Any educated guesses on how much of a pain in the rear end its going to be to get one of those official headsets? No available pre-orders anywhere in the US that I can see at the moment, but it looks nice and I'd like to have one for night time gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've been playing a lot of Planet Coaster, it does a pretty good job porting controls from mouse to a gamepad.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

These won’t connect to the Series X either (my first gen one sure didnt).

Every controller going back to the original Xbox One shipping controller works on a Series X. It's true that Bluetooth wasn't added until midway through the One lifecycle.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Doctor Nutt posted:

Any educated guesses on how much of a pain in the rear end its going to be to get one of those official headsets? No available pre-orders anywhere in the US that I can see at the moment, but it looks nice and I'd like to have one for night time gaming.

The availability is super scarce. I'm sure half of them that were made available at pre-order will all end up being resold for 2-3x retail.
I logged into the xbox website and put it on my wish list. so they might email us when it comes back in stock. Worth a shot but otherwise it's going to be a while yet.
I haven't tried to do the out-of-stock glitch on the site for it yet but I think they might have fixed that after the series x pre-order fiasco.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pthighs posted:

Every controller going back to the original Xbox One shipping controller works on a Series X. It's true that Bluetooth wasn't added until midway through the One lifecycle.

I dunno I tried to pair a working first gen controller to my series S and it wouldn’t take for whatever reason.

:shrug:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I dunno I tried to pair a working first gen controller to my series S and it wouldn’t take for whatever reason.

:shrug:

Did you try pairing it with a cable? Most definitely though it should work, so something's up with your stuff.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

otter posted:

The availability is super scarce. I'm sure half of them that were made available at pre-order will all end up being resold for 2-3x retail.
I logged into the xbox website and put it on my wish list. so they might email us when it comes back in stock. Worth a shot but otherwise it's going to be a while yet.
I haven't tried to do the out-of-stock glitch on the site for it yet but I think they might have fixed that after the series x pre-order fiasco.

I tried this when it first came out for pre-order (and I missed the window). They definitely have an "out of stock" gateway once you actually get it into your cart though.

I just tried again to confirm - it confirms as out of stock once you try to checkout.

Then I tried it again and the order went through lol. Just got email confirmation.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

otter posted:

Well that sucks. Why does it look so much better than all the trashy third party alternatives?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Doctor Nutt posted:

Well that sucks. Why does it look so much better than all the trashy third party alternatives?

Try again! I literally just got an order through.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

American McGay posted:

NBA 2K21 coming to Game Pass tomorrow, but I'm guessing it will be the standard One version, which is a shame. Apparently the Series version is pretty impressive visually.

I really need to know this as I just bought the mamba forever version for what I thought was a significant deal ($44 dollarydoos instead of $149). If it's not next gen I'll feel less stupid.

Edit: confirmed it for myself, it is the last gen version

https://twitter.com/XboxGamePass/status/1367210860029108226?s=19

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 3, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zat posted:

Did you try pairing it with a cable? Most definitely though it should work, so something's up with your stuff.

No I did not try it with a cable. I just held the pairing button down like I did with my other controllers.

I’ll see about tying it with a cable later I guess. It’s not a huge deal as I’ve got like 10 bone controllers laying around at this point.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Witcher3 is leaving gamepass in less than 2 weeks. If you start now and quit your jobs it should be doable.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

bushisms.txt posted:

Two point hospital is pretty chill, been playing it coop with my wife.

oh poo poo I had no idea it had coop.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

otter posted:

BonoMan posted:

I tried this when it first came out for pre-order (and I missed the window). They definitely have an "out of stock" gateway once you actually get it into your cart though.

I just tried again to confirm - it confirms as out of stock once you try to checkout.

Then I tried it again and the order went through lol. Just got email confirmation.

BonoMan posted:

Try again! I literally just got an order through.

Okay, I'll bite, what's this glitch?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Decent Activision sale on in the UK/Ireland store at the moment. All the old splinter cell games going cheap.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Doctor Nutt posted:

Okay, I'll bite, what's this glitch?

When you load the original pre-load page: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/headsets/xbox-wireless-headset

For a brief second the pre-order now button pops up before going away. Just try to click it fast enough (or alternatively hit esc at the right time before it goes away) and you'll get it added to your cart.

Now this is where, once you try to go through the checkout process, it'll tell you it's out of stock. But after trying a few times the order went through.

I will say though, now I can't get it to work. I can get the button to pop up but it just links back to itself at the moment. I wonder if me squeezing an order through caught someone's eye or something.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Thom12255 posted:

oh poo poo I had no idea it had coop.

It's more that player one and two share the same controls so it's just a lot of splitting duties, but it's a fun time deciding what to do and where to put things together.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Doctor Nutt posted:

I spent the extra $50 for Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2s over the Stealth 600 Gen 2 just because they don't have that atrocious green accent everywhere. They're just black w/ silver, they sound great and since they can pair with a bluetooth source as well as the Xbox I've started using them for work too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I still use 10 year old Astro A40s that plug in. the microphone jack has gone from 'up' to 'talking position' so many times that the pin in the jack has worn a groove in the 3.5mm tip on the microphone in a 90 degree arc.

these things are so god drat good and I will be sad when something finally give out since they are the original version and none of the spare parts available for the current A40s are compatible with them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
After having a series x for like one day: holy gently caress auto HDR is magic

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I'm not on next gen, but the lighting in squadrons is incredible. The light shining into the cockpit revealing the textures inside took my breath away.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I'm looking to get PC Game pass for 3 friends of mine so we can play stuff like Golf With Friends together. I'm going with PC Game pass because they each have Windows 10 PC that can handle the more indie games, but I think only one has a console. But they need Gold as well, right, to make sure we can play multiplayer on PC with games that use XBL as their multiplayer implementation?

Does that conversion thing still work? I think the one with the console might have Gold, so I thought I would look into that. Also, I'm assuming the ones with no prior XBL account should sign up for the $1 trial first, before I give them a redeem code.

This is all probably more complicated than it should be.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I don't know how to help you, but I just wanted to post that Golf With Friends is so much fun.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I tried explaining how to jump through all those hoops for a friend's "gamer" brother in law. The glass eyed look when I got to "VPN" was enough to tell me they were going to continue paying for Gold monthly. My friend just gave me her log in credentials and I did it for her. Though US annual gold passes were the same price as the cheaper regions, so I didn't have to VPN to Brazil.

silence_kit posted:

I don't know how to help you, but I just wanted to post that Golf With Friends is so much fun.

This. We haven't been playing as much of late as we were last spring/summer but it was nightly for awhile.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So my TV can 120hz @ 1440p or 60hz at 4k. Which is generally considered to be the better experience? Does 120hz make a difference if the game isn't 120fps?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Few games will have 120hz support, and that's something you'll be choosing from within the game. It's up to you if you prefer video quality or frame rate, and will probably vary between games.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Does 120hz make a difference if the game isn't 120fps?

None. At most it'll make sure you always have 60 full frames displaying on your screen as playing at a higher resolution might dip down into the low 50's for a few seconds depending on whats happening though this isn't likely to happen much.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So my TV can 120hz @ 1440p or 60hz at 4k. Which is generally considered to be the better experience? Does 120hz make a difference if the game isn't 120fps?

Its all about which games and their modes
Time to get specific
No

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

pthighs posted:

I'm looking to get PC Game pass for 3 friends of mine so we can play stuff like Golf With Friends together. I'm going with PC Game pass because they each have Windows 10 PC that can handle the more indie games, but I think only one has a console. But they need Gold as well, right, to make sure we can play multiplayer on PC with games that use XBL as their multiplayer implementation?

Does that conversion thing still work? I think the one with the console might have Gold, so I thought I would look into that. Also, I'm assuming the ones with no prior XBL account should sign up for the $1 trial first, before I give them a redeem code.

This is all probably more complicated than it should be.

You don't need gold if you're only playing on PC (even for play anywhere games that are also on consoles). Only console players need it for multiplayer.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Do games with gold repeat?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

elf help book posted:

They have in the past

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Remember if you claim a GWG game it's yours for as long as you still have Gold (or GPU).

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

elf help book posted:

They haven't in a good long while, so now's the perfect time if they fee they're running out of games. I wouldn't mind a repeat, if it meant that some folks that missed out on a game the first time around got a good new game or three each month.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Wasn't there a 6 month period where it was the same game over and over?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thom12255 posted:

Wasn't there a 6 month period where it was the same game over and over?

Pool nation

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Not game but xbox related - LOTR blu-ray is on sale if you have GPU. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/middle-earth-extended-editions-6-film-collection/8d6kgwxn7mxs?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
if you care about sports gamez do yourself a favor and don't bother with 2K21. the people who buy this poo poo at retail price are the biggest rubes lol. terrible on-ball defense, the AI can't do simple things like set screens or run pick and rolls or play help in the paint. it's easily one of the worst "AAA" sports titles i've ever played. Madden 21 isn't bad I guess I'm just terrible at Madden

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
yea 2k is the worst sports series on earth. Usually if you only play play now mode with normal teams vs a friend its ok but everything else is trash. I heard Gamepass will only have the XB1 version too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

barnold posted:

if you care about sports gamez do yourself a favor and don't bother with 2K21. the people who buy this poo poo at retail price are the biggest rubes lol. terrible on-ball defense, the AI can't do simple things like set screens or run pick and rolls or play help in the paint. it's easily one of the worst "AAA" sports titles i've ever played. Madden 21 isn't bad I guess I'm just terrible at Madden

Is this something that was working/better in 2K20?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

barnold posted:

Madden 21 isn't bad I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTWXCrM6VXo