Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

univbee posted:

Is this something that was working/better in 2K20?

the last 2K game I played in earnest was 2K15 for Xbox 360 lol, it was definitely a game I played a lot. I think I played a couple games of 2K20 at a friend's house maybe but I don't remember enough to really tell. I did play a bunch of NBA Live 19 for a while because it was on EA Play though, and despite that game's problems it plays a lot better to me personally. I also really like the Court Battles mode in NBA Live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

NFS Hot Pursuit Remastered is now running at 4K60 with a new 'maximum' mode for Series X and it looks pretty great.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laserface posted:

NFS Hot Pursuit Remastered is now running at 4K60 with a new 'maximum' mode for Series X and it looks pretty great.

It has an issue only on xbox consoles One S->Series X where there is a hideous frame drop on one specific part of one course

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

They haven't in a good long while, so now's the perfect time if they fee they're running out of games. I wouldn't mind a repeat, if it meant that some folks that missed out on a game the first time around got a good new game or three each month.

I've got a Series X and never had a One so I was exactly asking in case it never repeats so I could know which I'd never get for free lol

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Oh man, I missed out on all the yakuza games last gen. Starting with 0 and going forward is the move then?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stelio Kontos posted:

Oh man, I missed out on all the yakuza games last gen. Starting with 0 and going forward is the move then?

0->6 or just start at 7 since thats a new protag and style. Be warned though, while 1 and 2 got remakes, 3-5 didn't and they, especially 3, are roooooough after playing through the others so don't feel bad skipping titles you aren't feeling.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Barudak posted:

0->6 or just start at 7 since thats a new protag and style. Be warned though, while 1 and 2 got remakes, 3-5 didn't and they, especially 3, are roooooough after playing through the others so don't feel bad skipping titles you aren't feeling.

Avoid this advice. Start with 0. K1 and k2 are both great as well and tie into 0s plot. If you like 0 then you'll enjoy k1 and k2 and they connect together. If you like the series after playing those it's not so bad to play 3 and 4 on the way towards the more modern titles.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Games with Gold are okay most of the time, but it's obvious they're cutting the big deals for Game Pass now.

As for Yakuza talk, I went 0-2 and hopped up to 7. There's since history and characters you may need background on, but starting with 7 is totally fine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Seltzer posted:

Avoid this advice. Start with 0. K1 and k2 are both great as well and tie into 0s plot. If you like 0 then you'll enjoy k1 and k2 and they connect together. If you like the series after playing those it's not so bad to play 3 and 4 on the way towards the more modern titles.

Huh? im recommending the same thing, start with 0 and work your way sequentially to 6

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol. Ignore this advice. Do this instead. *posts the exact same thing*

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Everyone's experience will vary, but unlike the above posters I recommend the fan-favourite 'Episodes' play order:

Play 0, then skip to 1.
Counter-intuitively, 1 then leads into 2 and then 3.
You can then switch to the 'second trilogy' and play 4-6 in order.
7 is best played after the others.

My credentials: I have played none of these games.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

That's totally backwards. Maybe don't weigh in when you admit you haven't played the games and don't know what you're talking about? The Yakuza games, like the Uncharted series, should be played in sequential order, i.e. 0 -> 1 -> 2 -> etc.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Yakuza games, like the Uncharted series, shouldn't be played

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Yakuza games, like the Uncharted series, shouldn't be played

If they make a turn based RPG Uncharted game they could convince me to play another one

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For sports games I typically just wait until they are $20 - $30. The Series X version of NBA 2k21 hasn't gone on sale yet for some reason, even though the last gen version has been $20 pretty regularly since November. Sports sims though are in a really bad place and have been for a very long time now since competition isn't allowed currently for most of them. Only Sony is allowed baseball, EA is allowed Football, and only 2K Sports makes a basketball sim, so there is no incentive to improve their respective genres since there is no competition. So all three games have stagnated for the last decade.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
The 2k Sports football games used to be so good

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I wanted to play that NHL94 remix that's up on Games Pass until I learned it's only single player. if I can't put football numbers up on my friends or make Wayne Gretzky bleed for Superfan 99 here, I just can't play it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Barudak posted:

Huh? im recommending the same thing, start with 0 and work your way sequentially to 6

lol, I thought you meant go from 0 straight to 6.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

People buy games? lol

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

John F Bennett posted:

People buy games? lol

Tim Sweeny sure does

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

highme posted:

I wanted to play that NHL94 remix that's up on Games Pass until I learned it's only single player. if I can't put football numbers up on my friends or make Wayne Gretzky bleed for Superfan 99 here, I just can't play it.

It should support multiplayer but maybe it’s local-only. If you have a PS4 you could share play that way.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So microsoft has never fixed or even acknowledged the widespread audio popping when using wired headphones in their controllers huh? Good poo poo!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

silence_kit posted:

The 2k Sports football games used to be so good

After playing the intro to Madden 21 and then starting a game I have found it to be deeply flawed.
The avatar creation seems extremely limited. Why in 2021?
I played the Rams vs the Raiders. First play of the game I was able to pick off Derek Carr (ok, accurate) but then later I sacked him and it told me that Jared Goff got sacked.
If there's no way to cut out all the long drawn out cut scenes and stuff there's no reason to play it for me.
I played the hell out of:
Madden 92 on the Sega Genesis
Quarterback Club on Saturn
NFL 2K on the Dreamcast. My dreamcast is plugged in and looks like the game I will be returning to. EA completely dropped the ball (pun intended) on this one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

People buy games? lol

A few years ago I would have just assumed you're talking about piracy, but game subscription services are mainstream and accessible now. It feels weirder to buy most games nowadays.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Doctor Nutt posted:

So microsoft has never fixed or even acknowledged the widespread audio popping when using wired headphones in their controllers huh? Good poo poo!

Is it widespread? FWIW, I've never encountered this and I only use wired headphones.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

otter posted:

After playing the intro to Madden 21 and then starting a game I have found it to be deeply flawed.
The avatar creation seems extremely limited. Why in 2021?
I played the Rams vs the Raiders. First play of the game I was able to pick off Derek Carr (ok, accurate) but then later I sacked him and it told me that Jared Goff got sacked.
If there's no way to cut out all the long drawn out cut scenes and stuff there's no reason to play it for me.
I played the hell out of:
Madden 92 on the Sega Genesis
Quarterback Club on Saturn
NFL 2K on the Dreamcast. My dreamcast is plugged in and looks like the game I will be returning to. EA completely dropped the ball (pun intended) on this one.

Pretty sure Madden (like the WWE games) always releases a less than stellar entry during the launch of a new console that is always stripped back of features because "LOOK AT THE GRAPHICS, SO SHINY" while slowly re-adding features the following game. I think it's one of those things where the last gen version is usually fine and essentially the previous years game but with a new number slapped on while the next gen version ends up with a bunch of visual bells and whistles while everything else suffers.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the wwe games simply release a worse version every year, it’s not at all correlated to the platform changing

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

King Burgundy posted:

Is it widespread? FWIW, I've never encountered this and I only use wired headphones.

Based on some quick googling it does appear to be. Some solutions I've found include plugging your controller in and not downloading anything while you play games, which suggests its something to do with the wireless stuff interfering. I have never found anything that conclusively fixes the issue for me, so using headphones tends to be a crapshoot now that I don't have a receiver to plug into.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Face of the Franchise in Madden 21 is complete trash but I kinda can't stop playing it

As a rookie QB for the Philadelphia Eagles I accidentally got Zach Ertz—Super Bowl-winning tight end and eight-year Philly veteran—traded, and a year later he came back in A BLOCKBUSTER TRADE and looked to me for guidance because he somehow no longer knew anything about Philadelphia or its playbook

It also apparently doesn't really matter what you do in the games? I've hurdled every challenge the game has put in front of me and it just keeps on introducing adversity for adversity's sake (like the coach of my college team benching me after I lit up the opposing defense for eight touchdowns in a playoff game). Between that and everything just looking like hot dogshit (and what's up with the audio and lighting being wildly inconsistent?), it's incredibly half-baked.

I mean, whatever, people aren't coming to Madden for the story. I get it. But holy poo poo is it bad.

And maybe I'm just looking back with rose-tinted glasses but I feel as though the animation hasn't gotten any better in the past, like, ten years.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have never heard or read anything about wired headphone problems on the Xbox.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I had that issue with wired headphones on my one S but haven't noticed it happening since I got a series X.

My big long-running gripe is that the Prime Video app is missing whatever code every other video app uses to modify the power saving features, so it turns your controller off every 10-15 minutes even if you're using headphones.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Doctor Nutt posted:

I have never had this problem on any of my Xbox consoles however I use the chat adapter or the plantronics RIG Chat adapter since I like physical controls for audio.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have never heard or read anything about wired headphone problems on the Xbox.

I hadn't either, until I started having these issues and googled it and found a bunch of other people with the same problem dating back years and zero permanent solutions/explanations.

Laserface posted:

I have never had this problem on any of my Xbox consoles however I use the chat adapter or the plantronics RIG Chat adapter since I like physical controls for audio.

I wonder if I should consider trying this then. I'm using my headphones pretty much just for night gaming when other people in the house are trying to sleep but the audio popping is driving me nuts.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

i get static and pop in every one of my 7 xbox one controllers with a wired headset.
edit: tried the series x controller and I only get a little bit of static breakup when the game is launching. no issues with the wired headset port.
Using a plantronics rig and one of these cables.

otter fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 6, 2021

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Thanks to whoever hosted the Wreckfest goon server tonight. It was hilarious.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
On the audio popping: I’ve tried about 8 different sets of headphones over the years with mixed results and finally found one pair that definitely has zero pop (bowers and Wilkins p7). I just tested this on two controllers to make sure I wasn’t imagining it, and there’s no pop on either.

I don’t use headphones a lot, but it’s completely unbearable if you have a pair that pops - very jarring. I feel like part of the problem might be the mic rubbing against clothes when the mic is on the cable. I definitely noticed there’s a cutout in sound any time that happens with my in ear pair. Somethings definitely not right with the experience for most headphones/earphones.

Unfortunately I use the p7s for everything else wirelessly, and they have the dumbest design I’ve ever seen for turning them from wireless to wired. You have to pull the ear up off and pop the audio-in out, then replace the cup. It’s fiddly and annoying, and ruins the leather so I’m going to buy that wireless Xbox headset when it comes out.

Well done M$ you win.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Crafty posted:

I feel like part of the problem might be the mic rubbing against clothes when the mic is on the cable.

I know it’s not the mic, because I strictly use headphones sans mics and have it.

It’s annoying as hell, seemingly random across games/media, and a real shame because Xbox supports Dolby Atmos for Headphones through the controller. So you’ve got this amazing soundstage hosed over by popping.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Fly Ricky posted:

I know it’s not the mic, because I strictly use headphones sans mics and have it.

It’s annoying as hell, seemingly random across games/media, and a real shame because Xbox supports Dolby Atmos for Headphones through the controller. So you’ve got this amazing soundstage hosed over by popping.

Ah, guess not then. I have some headphones that just refuse to play any any sound at all through xbox controllers.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Crafty posted:

Ah, guess not then. I have some headphones that just refuse to play any any sound at all through xbox controllers.

So many problems I almost wish they’d remove the jack and not tempt me to use it. I know it’s a luxury that they even have the option, but as a grumpy old man I feel like “...we can send a man to the moon but we can’t...”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

It's got to be something with the hardware itself, it's just aux cables. I've never had any popping no matter the headset in my controller. Have folks tried a qtip of alcohol in the jack and wiping the aux connector off? I find a lot of issues are just dust collections.