Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The point of any ARPG is to have some kind of goal in mind for your character, play it a whole bunch until you get within the last .1% of that goal, and then find something else to do until the next patch or ladder season. Some people seem to have trouble understanding this concept but the act of continually making numbers go up itself the reward, and it helps when it's attached to some visceral feedback loop like killing monsters in showers of blood. They're not intended to be difficult games, victory isn't supposed to be some hard-fought battle, but instead you're expected to combine your knowledge of the game's inner workings from hours of play with the appropriate gear to completely break the game in satisfying ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I say this charitably but PoE is for the kind of ARPG fan who likes theorycrafting well in advance with spreadsheets and optimized skill + itemization paths, knowledge that can be acquired by having some familiarity with the game but for most simply following a guide. It works off the assumption that you won't get everything perfect your first time through and will be rerolling at the start of each new league to try out a new build. There are ways of respeccing but those also come from drops in the game world. Diablo 3 is on the opposite end of the ARPG spectrum, it's almost impossible to permanently gently caress up your character and you can get powerleveled into a starter endgame set within 30 minutes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think the main market for the Bonx are current Boners in search of an upgrade and aging PC owners who wanna buy a decent midrange gaming system without dropping $500+ on a super hype graphics card.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I do think there is a niche for people who would otherwise enjoy playing games on the PC that don't want to fiddle around with installing new hardware or relentlessly tweaking their settings. A $500 proprietary Win10 machine that can run every current gen title at high to very high settings is good enough for them. I don't think it's a particularly huge slice of the market, but you can't underestimate the people who still prefer convenience to maximum performance. Destiny 2 is one isolated example of a particularly well-optimized PC port, but that is the exception rather than the rule in many cases.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Once you've seen Minecraft running in true native 4k you'll never want to go back.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think anyone sincerely believing the Bonx is going to render native 4k @ 60fps is delusional.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Any current gen title that people actually care about is just not going to be able to render native 4k @ 60fps. High-end commercial PC hardware right now can maintain 30fps for the most graphically demanding games at max settings without some serious sleight of hand or downsampling to 1440p. MS has used weasel words to avoid saying exactly what games are going to target 4k 60fps, but you can bet it's not going to be something like Metro or Assassin's Creed, things that people would actually want to see at the highest performance level. Most likely you're either going to get a downsampled 1080p solution for higher framerates, or a locked 30 FPS at 4k target.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Maybe a year ago but there's virtually no PC game that I can't do 4k/at least close to ultra/60+fps with a 1080ti/i7700k.

I'm really struggling for reasons to keep my pre-order, beyond "I want to try it out because I used to love Xbox."

Seeing that the few true wireless headsets are ugly af and $300+ Cdn may be the final straw.

Cutting edge games hitting 60fps @ 4k max settings just wasn't possible on any commercial card before the 1080ti, which is less than six months old and is an $800 piece of hardware. At which point you have to ask yourself, why am I even thinking about buying a Bonx.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Or just find a partner and don't have kids. Vidya game machines are my children.

Willingly bringing a child into this world is just cruel. Video games on the other hand have been one smash hit after another, and it would be a shame for anybody to miss out just because you needed to buy baby formula or whatever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

univbee posted:

Welp, according to Digital Foundry, Quantum Break on the Xbox One X is 1440p upscaled, and targeting but currently not consistently hitting 30fps.

They said the same thing about Tomb Raider at 4k.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

RBX posted:

Bloodborne does rum slightly better with the Pro's boost mode. Trouble spots are smoother.

You do indeed get higher framerates but the frame timing is still unsteady, which means there's quite a lot of juddery movement especially in area transitions. Then again if these things bother you and/or you even know what frame timing means, you're probably not playing games on console.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

From game sloppy you say?

DS3 would crash my entire PC every time I tried to exit the game before I found out I had to go into advanced settings and uncheck dpi scaling or somesuch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Diablo 3 on Normal difficulty is pretty much the "I have never played a video game before in my life" setting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The DS4 is the smoothest feeling controller I've ever handled, but the 360 Afterglow ain't bad either.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm really disappointed that they named Cuphead's sidekick Mugman instead of Mugmug, it's so freakin obvious omg.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Life is Strange takes place during a week in October and while it isn't particularly spooky, like NITW and Oxenfree it does feature supernatural happenings in a broken down town starring angsty teenagers of ambiguous sexual preference. Very painterly autumnal lighting and color scheme.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've played 1,000 hours combined across the Mass Effect trilogy, it's one of my favorite game franchises ever and I implore you Do Not Buy Andromeda.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

$500 or disable automatic updates. Decisions decisions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

For the most part it looks like the Bonx is just doing the same thing as Pro on most modern titles, you have the option of either 4k locked @ 30fps or a performance mode for 60fps at a downscaled resolution.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

spasticColon posted:

Which games will the XbonX be able to run at 4K60 besides that Forza racing game? It's GPU is about on par with my GTX1070 and yet it can only run older and less demanding games at 4K60.

Pretty much nothing. Most current gen titles are offering 30fps capped at 4k or performance modes @ 60fps with downscaled resolutions between 900-1080, if they even offer 60fps.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think backwards compatibility has become less of a must-have feature for consoles now that 1) the last two generations have each lasted 8 years or more, and 2) publishers have discovered that you can rerelease old games as $20 HD remasters for very little overhead and consumers will mostly be happy to buy them over and over. Or you can simply play on the PC, which has always been backwards compatible and will be for all eternity.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

In general but there's a lot of older PC games that are close to impossible to get to run on modern systems. Including ones that Steam still sells.

Yeah and if they just rereleased those games with a couple quick and dirty fixes any entry-level programmer could make and marketed it as a 20 dollar "remaster" a nonzero amount of people would probably pay for them rather than going through the trouble of downloading all the fan patches.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Before the PC remaster the 360 was the definitive way to play Bayo, it was actually one of the best things about that system.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wasn't MS trying to hire people for a "Horizon-like" project like a couple weeks after Phil Spencer said games like Horizon and Zelda were stuck in the past?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's hard to rationalize a lot of the decisions they made around the XBone launch even if you did assume MS was trying to slowly back out of the console market.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Most enhanced games will support downsampling @ 1080p so that textures will look crisper and less blurry, it's not going to be as wowsers as a true 4k display though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Can one ever truly unbox that which is, in its essence, a box?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hello X-Box fans, Hellblade is getting a digital release on the Bone/Bonx on April 11th!

https://twitter.com/NinjaTheory/status/977945541228290048

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

What is this game Hellblade coming out all about, is it good? It looks like a psychotic version of Horizon Zero Dawn.

It's a difficult game to describe because it's not about one thing. The story: You play as a grieving Celtic warrior who travels into Viking Hell to save the soul of her dead lover. The main conceit is that she also suffers from psychotic episodes that manifest in the form of audiovisual hallucinations, flashbacks, and finding hidden meaning in everything she sees. The gameplay is about 1/3 puzzle solving, 1/3 hack 'n slash combat, and 1/3 wandering through a creepy and desolate landscape. All of these elements are competently done on their own, but not particularly remarkable in any way. The reason why Hellblade gets a lot of praise is for how it integrates all of these elements into a unified artistic vision to create a uniquely empathetic relationship with the main character. The game tells you almost nothing about how to play it, there are no video gamey elements like skill trees, items or even a UI. For 8 hours you're completely drawn into Senua's mind and the hauntingly beautiful world it creates. It's one of the most affecting and involving stories I've ever played. You must wear headphones.

For all these reasons Hellblade is definitely not a game for everyone, but I would say if you've enjoyed artsy psychological games like Shadow of the Colossus, Silent Hill 2, SOMA, or SpecOps, you'd probably like it. One of my favorite games of 2017 and it's cool to support something that a AAA publisher would never greenlight in a million years.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Pretty cool that a TVIV poster gets to star in a videogame

lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Monday_ posted:

FC5 is great in that it has a fantastic setting and pretty much no plot. Video game stories are universally terrible so that's about the best you can hope for.

Oh how I wish this were true.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There's a little bit more complexity to the combat than the game lets on since they never tell you anything about how to play it. So for example you can use Senua's melee (B) as a guard break but also as a combo extender, so you could do something like X X B X Y Y for a fancy-looking string that's usually enough to 100% the basic mooks. You also get a different attack from each of the three face buttons following either a run or a perfect parry that combos into any normal attack string. Besides just being tremendously satisfying, perfect parries fill up your focus mirror faster and usually let you get in a full string without having to guard. Run attacks don't actually require you to be running, you can just hit L1 at the same time as any of the three face buttons and you'll get an achilles stab (X), a big overhead slash (Y) or a flying leg kick (B). Hellblade is not meant to be a particularly challenging game but the swordplay can be kinda neat once you figure out there's a lot more than you can do than just mash X or Y. I wish you well on your journey into Hel!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The focus mirror is a slow time effect that you trigger with R2, although if you haven't yet faced one of the bosses it won't be available. The combat accelerates throughout the first two boss chapters, there's a middle chapter with almost no combat (but some of the tensest sequences) and the final third of the game is very combat-heavy.

Hellblade was built in Unreal Engine 4, Horizon uses its own in-house engine Decima.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is Life is Strange: Before the Storm any good? It's getting really cheap.

I don't think it's quite as good as the original but I also think Life is Strange is the greatest video game ever made so... It's about the most thoughtful and loving fan adaptation you could hope for, given all the ways it could have been terrible. Despite being made by a totally different developer Deck Nine "gets" Life is Strange and for the most part delivers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Not sure how that will be possible without some dynamic scaling trickery. You need pretty drat good PC hardware just to get a constant 60fps @ 4k with Rise.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'd imagine the console versions won't have the full range of effects fuckery and will just look Pretty Decent

Seems like there was a misunderstanding and the new Tomb Raider will offer either 4K or a 60fps performance mode on the Bonx, in line with most enhanced games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I had a feeling it was some kind of miscommunication because unless you're running Minecraft native 4k @ 60fps is really only something you can presently get from a beastly PC with a 1080ti, and not the world's most powerful console.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Halo and many other popular game franchises at that point in time were heavily, heavily inspired by the Matrix and all sought to establish that deep lore universe within their own IPs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If the XBox 420 is anything more than a proprietary Win10 machine then I will be shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'd be really surprised if any next-gen console targets 4k 60fps. The hardware needed for that level of performance is limited + hella expensive on PC and most console owners are used to the locked 30fps standard by now. Sony and MS would have to actually spend money on a halfway-decent CPU this time around.