Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I am stoked that my series X is on the delivery vehicle. I wonder if FedEx has trucks that are specifically just delivering xboxes today.
I think i might let go of my PS4. The only games i have on it are:
Uncharted (that they gave out for free months ago and I haven't played)
sonic mania which I also have on xbox
a fortnite account I can bind to my switch.

I wanted to get the wipeout game for it, but it has been a super low priority that I keep forgetting about.
If wipeout and The Show were available for xbox i'd just give the ps4 away at this point.

Can the PS4 even play old playstation games like Wipeout XL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

thats what i hear... 1/2

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Just finished plugging in my Series X and playing a bit of Tetris Effect. Everything about the process felt slick, from the way the console was packaged to the setup. Scrolling through all the Game Pass games was overwhelming. My OG Xbox is directly underneath the Series X, and I'm pretty sure the green circle in the latter's top vent is the same size as the green circle on top of the former.

At the last minute I decided to make Yakuza Like A Dragon my first physical Series X game, so I'm impatiently waiting for that to show up.

If anyone wants an Xbox friend to never play games or communicate with, my gamertag is: LevelUpMyElf

i forgot about tetris effect. woooot. come on fed ex.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Mine arrived to my wife immediately asking, "what the gently caress is that?" followed by a lot of "Why did you buy that? Why do you need it? Send it back."
I thought she wouldn't care because she hates games aside from playing Uno on the xbox in the living room or the occasional Mario Party or Mario Kart back in the day.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

John F Bennett posted:

Bad opinion.

My ps4 is mostly used for Netflix.

You forgot to include “and heat the Great Lakes region all winter.”

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Thanks thread!
I never would have thought to actually look in the manual for my tv and figure out that I have to set hdmi modes manually to 4k60+HDR which it has switched off by default and my Series X was like, "lol, no i cant output that to this cheap tv". I mean, it doesnt do dolbyvision or 4k120 but for a $200 55" tv that I got last year hells yeah.

Now if only the wife wasn't going to hold it against me forever.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I have to say that just the loading speed difference for fortnite is worth it.
So quiet. So slick. No real complaints.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Zachack posted:

Any game made prior to at least 2000 should be public domain. Games from back then are largely valueless except to specific niche interests and the market that preys on that niche. Preservation is almost totally meaningless when it's locked in private collections or behind a legal barrier.
I would love to get Faery Tale Adventure on my Series X. And Wipeout XL/3.
Oh well, I guess until then I have my RetroPie arcade cabinet.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Ive been pretty lukewarm on my PS4 for a long time and after playing on the XsX it's driving me insane to play on the PS4.
The only reason I've even picked up the controller on the PS is because I have a fortnite account on level 96 and helping my brother and his daughter on their playstation accounts to get to level 100 before the end of the season. Im begging him to link xbox accounts just so I can use my XsX to do it. The loading wait times are horrible. I am already so spoiled by the new generation.

Bonus: wife seems to have quit being horrible about my purchase. Yay! (for now)

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

EL BROMANCE posted:

She's now in the "I can buy something frivolous that I want and he can't moan" stage.

She's always buying frivolous things. One time she took my car to Washington to buy $900 worth of christmas decorations and also failed to pay a toll for which I got a ticket in the mail. Just how it is, bro. We only talk about what I do "wrong".

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I was bummed that Gladius didn't work. I played it at my brother in law's house years ago and picked up a copy for $2 at a second hand store a few years back but haven't played it yet.
Good thing I still have my 360 and old school xbox though I don't know the old school will connect to my modern tvs without additional cords.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I dont know about walmart's website but the microsoft's all acess page has (had?) a glitch I found by accident.
I was refreshing the page and the "order" button lights up as available for part of a second. If you clicked it during that very short window it would actually take you into the order form.
From there you can flll out the page, and try to place an order, but it would struggle to get through the order process. That's how I got in, and then I eventually got the letter that says "oh we see you filled out the application but couldn't complete the purchase, we will send you an invite to order" and that's how I got mine on launch day.

I'm sure they have fixed it by now, because I explained it to the Microsoft people and showed them how it works in the chat thing but it might be worth a shot.

frankly I wish major retailers would take the step to put a captcha or something on orders of these things to prevent bot purchases. It's ruining the ability to buy things and fueling the scalper markets for everything from Xboxes to sneakers.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Has anyone tried one of those PS3/4 to Xbox One usb controller adapters?
I want to use my Real Arcade Pro stick on my XsX to play MK11, and don't want to shell out $150+ for a new stick.
So options are $35 for a USB adapter that might work or $55 for a Mayflash F300 stick?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Biodome posted:

I’ve been playing through the fallouts while I wait for the 60 FPS Fallout 4 upgrade and Fallout 3 works amazingly with quick resume. Don’t ever see the start up screen and it loads instantly.

I loaded fallout 4 and went to load my game with 83+ hours on it. It told me that my game would lose stuff because of the add-ons not being available. Freaked me out but you just have to go to the game management and it will let you install the add-ons. Had me stressed.

Edit: 10-second load times on fallout 4.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

John F Bennett posted:

Coming from the PS4, this controller is very clicky. But I like the haptics in the triggers, that's new for me.

One of my clients called while I was playing fortnite and asked "what's that clicking noise?" and I had to explain that my keyboard was acting up.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Laserface posted:

Front yard lemonade stands have phone lines now?

Oh man, I wish it was a front yard lemonade stand. So much less paperwork, no meetings in Teams where the bosses want to show off that they learned how to display their computer and then have someone else lock them out...

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I don’t really get how the PlayStation is more popular than the Xbox.
I’ve been helping my brother and his daughter level their characters in fortnite and it’s just grueling using the PlayStation controller and the interface pisses me off. I think the ps3 was overall better than the PS4 due to backwards compatibility etc. I was really upset after I got my PS4 that I couldn’t play my PS3 games on it. Had to re-buy toe jam and earl on Xbox and I can play it from my 360, xbo, and xsx.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Never shop online without your glasses on (assuming you are old like me and need them).
I thought I was buying MK 11 Ultimate for a crazy deal the other day and I was actually buying Aftermath Kollection.
So now I have a spare vanilla MK 11 that I don't need. Anyone want it? First person who PMs me can have it for just the cost of shipping.

And it's claimed.

otter fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 24, 2020

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I tried to enable dev mode and could not get it to go. My windows 10 install which seems to be required is in parallels and it was just not allowing it to add the Xbox after signing up for the dev account. Ill have to dust off my windows laptop and try again.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Weird. I had attempted with safari on macOS first and then read the requirement in the enabler app on the Xbox to use windows 10 specifically. Neither system will take me to the activation page.

Pffff. Tried it on my iPad and it worked perfectly fine.

otter fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 25, 2020

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

American McGay posted:

Sending a link for the blue one to my brother and saying "wow this controller sure looks nice" and hoping he'll take the hint for an easy Christmas present.

It’s $39 at Walmart

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

All of this halo talk has me intrigued. I think I bought halo 2 from goodwill and played it for like 5 minutes but had something else I had to do and never went back to it. At the time I couldn’t do shooter games (poor coordination) but then went on to play though fallout 3, new vegas, most of 4, 5 seasons of fortnite etc so I think I’m coordinated enough to give it a shot now. Where is a good place to start in the halo universe?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Get the MCC and just mess around with a few of the games!

I started downloading it but it's going to break my data cap =/ stupid comcast.
133 gb and I don't know if it has updated to include the 25 gb or so updates from Mortal Kombat 11 last night. Looks like I have plans for Dec 1 when it resets.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Evil Robot posted:

Even used X1X's are up in the ~$250 range right now, close to XSS, what's up with that?

Because you can't just walk into a store and buy any of them.
I've considered selling one of my xbox one Ss locally since I could get a few bucks for it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Miles McCloud posted:

I had a weird thing happen the other night with the store - got enough MS Reward points for a $10 credit, and decided to use that credit to get the Xbox 360 version of Soul Calibur II which never seems to go on sale and didn't want to pay $20 for it, but $10 + $10 reward money seemed fair. When I checked out, it hung up and told me that "something went wrong" and that I should try again later. I tried three more times and got the same thing, so I waited a few minutes, tried twice more and decided to wait until morning to try again.

I woke up and my account owns Soul Calibur II, and I still have my $10 credit. :downs:

There is no record of the transaction in my purchases.

My excitement for the apparent free game is tempered a bit by the five pending $10 authorizations on my credit card - let's hope at least three of those go away so I don't have to call customer service with this bizarre story.

Good job, Microsoft?

for real fun i figured out by accident that if you have game pass and download any og xbox or 360 games from game pass and then end your game pass sub you still own the og and 360 games and you can download them to all your consoles as if you bought them from the store. Spend the buck, go hog wild.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I said come in! posted:

What Saturn games have you tried? I miss my Sega Saturn so much.

Best Buy failed me today, they did not have my system ready for pick up like they said they would.

The Saturn is pretty rad. I have a couple of them in my garage and one of them has the memory card thing that lets you play import games. My brother got that thing when he worked at a video game store. I have pretty much everything ancient except a jaguar, turbografx, and lynx. Saturn and Dreamcast stand out to me a some of the best but Im slightly a sega fanboy. i should break it out and teach my kids to play virtual on.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

It just occurred to me that since all of us manchildren (and womanchildren, etc) have our Series X/S now, and the actual kids will mostly get theirs from Christmas Eve through New Years be it from parents / friends /cool as hell grandparents / what have you that downloading anything from gamepass or updates is going to get pretty slow. How many parents do you think crack the box open, carefully unwrap, update, etc the thing and repack it the week or two before for the kids? Nothing says fun for Christmas like waiting for a 40gb fortnite update (or 133 gb halo MCC download) .

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Look some of us celebrate Hanukah and Christmas and are cool parents too. :colbert:

Cool is relative for people who spell it with one k and no c yo. (I kid, I kid.) It also ends a week before the larger-by-population-#s-mass-retail-holiday for which children may receive said xboxen who will already be neck-deep in games by then.

Also, yes. Why on earth is the Playstation 3 and 4 so damned slow to get updates and downloads? I always thought it was my router but upgrading to a nice mesh system didn't help and then I found out my brother (who is a playstation whore) has the same slowness.

Additionally, American McGay wins all winter holidays by driving a monster semi-truck full of so many collectable and rare games to their brother's home.

Come to think of it, all my brothers are shitheels and our sister isn't much better, though mostly she's so self-centered that she runs the daily risk of throwing the earth's orbit out of whack.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Why don’t they just have a family option? Make the requirement be to have everyone connected via the Microsoft family thing. Max of like 5 accounts? It seems like I can be signed in on my series x which is now my home unit and on my one s in the other room.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Game sharing is basically something that's unintended but not policed at all.

The PS3 allowed like 5 people at once and Sony immediately cracked down on that with the PS4 so I wouldn't hold your breath for something better any time soon.

I just think it’s stupid that if I’m dad and if I’m playing uno on the Xbox in the living room (and that’s the home one) with the wife and one of my kids wants to play fortnite on the Xbox in the office it makes someone log in as me to use the game because I “bought” the free game. That logs me out in the living room and ends my game of uno.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

wandler20 posted:

This is why they say it's a bad idea to blow vape into your xbox.

I still can't believe that was a thing for a minute.

Just fire up a PS4. That poo poo will warm your whole house up in no time.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Re: appletv app. I was super disappointed that it’s just for the subscription and won’t allow access like an appletv set top box does. It would simplify life to need one less device plugged in.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

It does if you sign in

presumably that other poster is looking for Airplay

Not AirPlay per se, but being able to access your iTunes library from local Mac/pc. With Comcast’s data caps and 90% of my movies being on the computer in the house vs cloud it would have been lovely to have that work

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Im pretty sure the 2 lines means you're pregnant.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I’d buy a series s in a heartbeat if I could use disks. I have loads of Xbox/360 disks

I bought the 360 edition of la noire a while back and tried to install it on my oneS and it was a no go. So it’s not always a guarantee. Same with You Don’t Know Jack.

What I need to do is build a new entertainment center with cubbies for my 360, oneS, Series X, ps4, ps3 (seriously Sony - why don’t any PS3 games run on PS4? Even the psn games.) Dreamcast, etc. so that I can just fire up any of them at will

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Real hurthling! posted:

Ps3 games dont run on ps4 because ps4 cant emulate a cell processor and sony has not been interested in doing research to make it possible even on the more capable ps5 because they make so much more investing just in new games that break 20 million copies sold
It sucks imo but pc emulation of ps3 is making great progress so gently caress em.
One day they'll need good will and do it along with fixing the 1000 other things they do with their console that pissed me off. But i'll just have to dwi meantimes cause the games keep coming out good
Yeah, and I get that, but specifically what pissed me off was firing up my ps4 when I got it and trying to download the copy of Toejam and Earl that I had purchased to play on the PS4 and finding out it was a no-go. I have spent $0 total in the PSN store since getting my PS4. Between getting Sonic whatever it is and a copy of MLB The Show 15 from goodwill for $5 I have spent $0 on games for my PS4.

I got my series X through the all-access plan so I have game pass ultimate for the next 3 years and I found that I don't have a ton of time to play through stuff so I think at the end of this season I am ratcheting down the amount of fortnite I have been playing and making time for other games. Especially since I can do Remote Play though my ipad from either my Series X or one of my One Ss. I might jump into halo MCC tonight after wifey falls asleep watching garbage tv.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Barudak posted:

This is me except Im wasn't willing to pay 15 bucks for a bad version of Parappa the Rappa

How can parappa be bad?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Barudak posted:

Then I've no idea why everyone said the timing was utterly hosed, but it scared me off from buying it

Kick, punch! It’s all in the mind.

I’m going to try and break out my PlayStation tomorrow and make my kids play parappa.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

My wife and the kids are having a blast with the Lego games. My wife may actually 100% the Lego movie game (I’ve never come close to that ever on any game). Hell when I went to bed last night she was still up and I asked her why (as it was 12:30 am) and she said “trying to get two more golden instructions manuals for our son.” :3:

Really loving this system and Games Pass.

Trade me wives. Mine squaked at me about how much she hates video games and then demanded I come sit in the room with her while she watched Virgin loving River. I sat there going, "ok, who is that? Why is he trying to get with that girl when he impregnated that one?" and she got pissy and insisted I stop asking questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Ha. I had never heard the Body Count version. That's pretty rad.
My wife has a tendency to be way less rational than Coco there. She's just bossy and controlling.

Not sure if you've been subjected to Virgin River but it's some pretty stupid poo poo.