Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I suspect BC is more driven by publishing companies that want their libraries to remain sellable for longer and to avoid inter-generational issues with the consoles.

Oh, a new one is coming out next year but it'll cost too much for most people? Well we can make the title for THIS one and release a texture pack for the next-gen and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lambert posted:

Edit: Wrong thread

The Xbox beta seems to crash on startup, can't get it to launch on my Bonx. Others are reporting this issue as well.

Guess I'm playing on PS4.

At least you got a code, I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do with my Xbox.com pre-order to get into the beta.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

I eventually found it on Twitter of all places, but that was not intuitive at all.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I have, I think, an original Xbox One. Do I have to get an X to improve load times? Or is there some other upgrade I can do?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

By "Original Xbox One" I'm assuming you mean the third Xbox which launched at $499 and has a Kinect port on the back.

Yeah? Is there another term for it? Its not an S, or an X. I don't have a Kinect but I think there is a spot for it on the back. It won't do 5ghz AC, just A/N, etc.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

Hes making an xbox one, the third xbox joke

Meh. Does the Original Xbox One (OGXBONE?) have enough USB bandwidth for an external SSD to make that much difference?

Or should I wait until I get that 4k and just go all in with an XBOXNXNXNXNX

Edit: And do I need an Xbox special SSD or just any ol' external SSD?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Red Warrior posted:

If you were looking to upgrade to an X might not be a bad time to do it, Gamestop have $200 trade in for an original Xbox One (the third Xbox yadayada). So $300 to upgrade which is in the vicinity of what a 1TB SSD is going to cost you most likely.
https://www.gamestop.com/trade

Remember loading isn't just the speed of the drive, there's also decompressing textures and other stuff going on that an X is going to make faster, on the level of having upgraded to an SSD. And that's before you take everything else into account.

Yeah, but I can get a Crucial 250gb & enclosure (Amazon Basics) for ~75 bucks delivered. That's pretty affordable if it makes a big difference. I pretty much only play ~3 games, so I don't need TBs of space at the moment.

EDIT: Adata 256 for 70, SandDisk 250 for 59, or PNY 240 for 70.

I jumped on the Xbox and my total installed games was maybe 200 gig, so going for 500 doesn't seem worth it.

EDIT2: Just bough the Adata SD600 in 256, Wirecutter had a decent review of it and for 70 bucks it was an easy choice.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 14, 2018

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

lol i bought a 6TB external for my X and am glad I didn't go for less. I only have about 20% available and didn't have a bone before the X.

I pretty much only play the latest COD, GTA, and NHL games. I'm old and busy, so I don't have a library of any size. Add PUBG to that list and you have all the installed games, total, on my Xbox.

I'll most likely grab an X this Christmas when I upgrade the living room TV to 4k. I figure they'll discount the price for the holidays.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

EDIT2: Just bough the Adata SD600 in 256, Wirecutter had a decent review of it and for 70 bucks it was an easy choice.

Quoting myself here. Despite what people say about this dead gay console on this dead gay forum, it feels like a nice upgrade. Loading in COD noticeably improved and PUBG felt a little bit better in play, but loading into the lobby was quicker.

Wish I had known this was an option, I would've done it months ago. God, I can only imagine how much less poo poo I would've dealt with on the COD beta with it last weekend.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Again, I'm sitting here thinking if I had a teenager this would be great. Low out of dollar cost, the "value" is in the whole game catalog attached to it, and I can link the payment to their allowance / part time job.

If you have internet, for 10 more a month than Netflix you can have Xboxgameflix. That is an easy sale.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I think the best part of gaming is all the personal finance considerations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but it got buried by console war nonsense, but buying an External SSD for the Original Xbox One is a nice upgrade. I only play a few games, so it is easy for me to fit on the 256gig, but the speed increase in games like COD and PUBG is significant.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
In dead console shooting game news, PUBG is rolling out a big patch tonight that fixes one of it's biggest weaknesses.

Training mode is finally coming to the console version, so you can go gently caress around with everything or good off anytime. It was a big deal on PC and I've been patiently waiting for them to roll it out on console.

The game has a brutal learning curve, so this it'll make it much easier for people to figure things out and get into the game.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
OG Crackdown is one of the few games I legit beat from start to finish. It was open world, but very easy to gently caress around for a while then drop in and beat a boss or whatever. Very casual.

All the new GTA games are so much work. I don't want to play an interactive story, or go play games with Mike, or whatever is the latest chore.

I've avoided RDR for this reason.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I can think of a ton of suburban households where an Xbox One for cheap + game pass would be a hell of deal.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

By plus do you mean paying for a sub or like getting a free year or something like that?

I think you throw in a 6mo game pass code and that's enough to hook the kids and force mom to keep the subscription.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Blind Rasputin posted:

:stare: that last one..can’t be real.

Right? How do you expect those hats and that book to stay up there? You would've moved them while setting all this up, obviously. I'm saying fake.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

RBX posted:

How is violence implied in the second? It's a dude ignoring his GF for a Game Boy. Partners being tied up on a bed and left there was such a common joke back then.

Yeah, its in bad taste and unnecessarily sexual, but I think nonconsenual is too far. Just like the first one the implication is that you're ignoring them, not distracted halfway through an assault.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Are they really going to launch at that price? I figured that would be MSRP and they'd be 50 bucks cheaper out-the-door, or same price + extra controller.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
If I upgrade to a One X do I still need the SSD for the bonus speeds?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
It's super easy. Just finish this tutorial mode. Mandatory. Then setup your season. After you create a player.

Oh, you just want to play a game? Load up your be a GM deck of cards first. Also, these loot boxes need some attention.

Now we're ready to play a game, but first one of 3 NBC intros needs to be loaded so you get the "broadcast experience."

Don't even get me started on how clunky many of these modes are to get in or out of. Why can't you autosave my season and autoload it when I open the game?!

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Xbox thread pays off, added 2 more years from CDKeys then upgraded. Hundo for Xbox Gold/games covered for 3 years is a good value for me.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Microsoft Flight Sim has me actually excited.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
They take your existing subs and add them together with the ultimate conversion. So if you have 6 of pass and 12 gold you'll have 18 ultimate.

So, load up on gold first then convert. It'll max out at 36 months I think.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Next big thing will be to get those dots up to your face. 120hz+ 4k per eye should make VR much more responsive and visceral.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
So, I now have a OneX and a One. I was going to put the One in the game room for the kiddo to play on and have the OneX on the good TV. However, I only have one Live account (mine).

How does this whole 'home Xbox' nonsense work? Can I be signed into both of them? Can Kiddo play minecraft on the One while I PUBG on the OneX or is there going to be some kind of issue? How does GamePass/Ultimate work?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah, get the One X now and then wait for mid-summer sales post Scarlett release. Win-win.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
It was mentioned explicitly in the announcement video I thought.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lambert posted:

It becomes much more responsive with an SSD, but still doesn't feel particularly fast. You will have to do extra stuff to get it working (run a script to partition the drive, download the Xbox OS to a thumb drive and install it) and the disassembly process is a lot more involved than with PS4.

It's not hard, if you've opened up electronics before you'll be fine. Also, the Xbox only supports 500 GB/1 TB/2 TB partition sizes.

You don't need to do any of this. The Xbone understands USB storage, just get an external USB SSD and plug it in. The Xbox will ask to format it for games, then it'll treat it like another storage location.

I used it to get some extra life out of my Xbone before upgrading to the OneX.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lambert posted:

An external drive won't make your dashboard faster.

Don't play the dashboard?

I dunno, from what I can figure, nothing makes the Dashboard faster. Not better internet, not OneX, nothing.

Any SSD will dramatically improve your in-game load times and reduce hitching. And an external won't cause any warranty/repair concerns.

But yeah, if you're big into Mixer or the other community / connectivity stuff on the XBox then opening it up to replace the SSD might make more sense.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I think even on the One X it's a decent quality of life improvement if you have the funds.

Yeah, it's 10 or 15 seconds on load. But that's the same as skipping a few commercials during a show. And most people consider that a huge deal.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
loving around in sandbox mode can easily burn time here and there. My kid loves the blackhole gun.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Anyone know of a store running a GamePass or Ultimate discount on the physical cards? I want to get a passive-aggressive gift for my friend's kids.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lambert posted:

Don't buy kids gift cards, give them money.

Thanks for the feedback. This is deliberate, my friend tends to help themselves to money I give to the kiddos, so I want something that cannot be taken and generates a huge desire for the kids to play the Xbox. Like I said, its a passive aggressive gift.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
So many people have their TVs over the fireplace (WHY?!) so the new design looks more comfy to fit on the mantle underneath. Makes sense to me. Big entertainment centers are no longer the modern way, and Nintendo has done plenty of work to get away from the pizza box form factor.

However, I loving hate that we can't just use model numbers or versions or revisions or some other normal way of naming things. Everything has a generic, unsearchable name that is not clear at all where it fits in the line of things.

Xbox20? XB20? Nahhhh, "Series X"

You know they're going to give the two versions extra stupid modifiers. You'll have to order an "Xbox Series X Gaming Edition" or an "Xbox Series X Players Edition" or something similarly confusing.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Oh, Untitled Goose Game is available for Game Pass. I'll just install Game Pass app on my phone and tell it to install.

Installs App, requests install.

*Later that day*
Notification GAME PASS GAMES NOW AVAILABLE

Oh yeah, I'm going to play that game. Gets on Xbox, nothing loving installed. God damnit, ok, install Untitled Goose Game.

*Later*
Notification GAME PASS GAMES LEAVING SERVICE

Uninstall Game Pass app again.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I get that Xbox 2020 is suppose to be pretty powerful, and you do kinda need a lot of space for airflow and cooling, but... that size can't be correct. :psyduck:

The photos look like it should be about the width of a controller and maybe 2x-3x taller?

However, every photo that shows it pulled up front next to a slim console is going to make it look huge since your mind assumes it has the same depth, which it wont.

Also, does it in any way matter?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I maintain that they're aiming for a next-to or in-front of the TV setup for TVs mounted on the wall.

Counter point, flat rectangle design isn't friendly for the TV mounted over the fireplace.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Put all the stickers on it you want, someone will still put it on a carpeted floor and throw their laundry on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Sell me the most Xboxy Xbox to play MSFS 2020 through game pass on my TV in 4k.

Also, please make an Xbox that is fast enough to run the loving dashboard.