Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So I managed to jump on the XBox all access pass recently and have an XBox Series X on the way to me soon. Are there any exclusives for it that I should jump on once it arrives? Keeping in mind I already have a decent gaming PC and would prefer to play games on there if possible.

Thanks to how good the backwards compatibility is, I've already got Rare Replay and Asura's Wrath purchased and ready for when it arrives, and I guess Too Human was available for free so I get to experience that dumpster fire finally, but outside of that is there anything else people would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I was afraid of that. :ohdear:

Ah well, at least it'll be a decent emulation box I can hook up to my TV, and I'll be able to go back and play some of the backwards compatible 360 exclusives I missed out on with that generation.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

You got a few discouraging replies, but I was in the same position as you and I love the Series X. Got it at launch, use it every day, and haven't had a moment of buyer's remorse.

I also prefer to play stuff on PC (especially for strategy and RPGs), but find myself using the Xbox as my default platform more often than I expected. Some genres work better on the couch, and I wouldn't even think to install some games on PC but when I see them in the Xbox library I think "why not" and give them a whirl. Most Game Pass Ultimate titles are on both platforms, but there are some games that are only on Xbox, or that are on Xbox first for a few months.

This is a weird aside, but HBO Max and Hulu also run way better than on Roku (as you'd hope), and the X has solid UHD playback. I love being able to enable/disable HDR on a system level, too, as my tv has lovely HDR but all 4K content forces it on. Now I can actually watch stuff in its highest resolution without the entire screen looking like it's coated with a layer of charcoal dust.

Cojawfee posted:

I mean, it's a valid option if you only want to get games through game pass and don't want to buy them on PC. In that case, there are gamepass games on xbox but not on PC.

Thanks, I hadn't considered this. I forgot there may be some console-only exclusives via game pass that I could take advantage of, and one game I've been keeping my eye on, Outriders, is one of them. That helps sweeten the deal until there are (uh, maybe?) some more exclusives on the console, especially since two years of game pass ultimate are included in the bundle.

I'm trying. :negative:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Got my XBox Series X today. :woop:

Only to find out that now that I have a device that supports it, that my TV can't forward a Dolby Atmos signal through ARC to my soundbar. :sigh:

So next on the list is a TV upgrade or a sound bar that doesn't introduce horrible input lag.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Doctor Nutt posted:

I really like the texture they added to the series x/s version of the controllers. Particularly on the triggers, feels nice.

Oh yeah, the grip texture is really nice, enough that I'm considering buying an extra controller to use on my PC too.

Any recommendations for rechargeable batteries for the controllers? I know Microsoft used to sell a charging kit for controllers that could be charged inside of the controller, but I don't know if they still do or if there are third party alternatives that work fine and won't set my living room on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Looks like I can get a charger and four pack of them for about half the cost of the Microsoft equivalent, so that's sufficient enough to always have a backup pair of batteries ready for my controller. I'll give em a shot, thanks!