Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So the Kinect's finally dead right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I know this is the bone thread but it sort of counts, does the Windows 10 store ever have sales? I expected one at E3 like Sony but only saw Gears of War for 30 bucks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow. I'll just glance every now and then, I guess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't have a real problem with MCC any time I was playing it besides some lag and also nobody choosing anything but Halo 2.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This is for the 360, but I went back through my download history to grab a few things I wanted to replay, and I noticed it was light. Super light. Missing half the things I ever had light. Is it just pulling things out of the list or what? I know for a fact I've played Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light but my download history says I never bought it.

e: Also since I got around to playing it Fable Anniversary is loving awful

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 22, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheScott2K posted:

There have been cases of things disappearing from people's purchase history that they've had to solve by making a phone call. Suggest checking your gmail archive for the email confirmation when you bought it. Another possibility: maybe you got it on Steam?

No, I have the 360 cheevos to prove it. It looks like I'm missing most of it after like 2012. I may need to make a call later then. I didn't plan on playing most of those games again but there were a few I was going to grab and some aren't on the store anymore.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Did somebody else buy digital games on your 360? If they bought them on your console you'd have been able to play them with your account even though they're not yours. Almost like the "primary console" thing of this gen but not quite.

Might be that and I simply didn't remember then. Though I thought I was the only one on the console for some of these like Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

On the plus side, I still have Yaris.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Forcing someone to be your robot slave if you want to play 3-player in the campaign in Gears 5 is stupid as hell but I can't stop laughing at it

Especially since half the enemies can just slap it out of the sky and kill it immediately

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Noice, Civ VI is coming to consoles. I think Civ Revolution may have been my most played 360 game, as absurd as that sounds.

I played the hell out of Civ Rev on Nintendo DS. It was pretty easy to break though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It really is impressive how badly 343 botched the Halo franchise and it's also super obvious they didn't really get what Bungie was doing with Halo 1-3 thematically, which is amazing because of how blatantly obvious the games are about it.

Relatedly did you know the Spartan Laser in-game is also known as the Grindell/Galilean Rifle? You know, to really drive the point home?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I know next to nothing about Halo, what are its themes?

It's both pro-religion/faith, as a general concept, and anti-evangelical, which is uncommon at best in America (though it is also boner-poppingly pro-military). It also does not actually give a poo poo about America - most of the fighting on Earth is in Africa, and all you really see or hear of the US is if you glance at Earth from space in 2 and 3 you can see the east coast burning. It takes heavy inspiration (pretty much blatant theft acutally) from Aliens and the Colonial Marines so the soldiers are all oorah troops but in-game it's actually a truly universal force.

Basically with that Spartan Laser weapon I mentioned, at the end of Halo 3, after breaking the Covenant (and after the rebelling alien forces join with humanity against the zealots, whose main force are the savage-ape like gas-guzzling--and-iron-shooting monsters, the Brutes), the man named John literally shoots the Divine Spark with the weapon called the Galilean on the Ark of God before going on to shatter the Halo, the proof of divinity, to turn back God's Flood. Master Chief is a Christ figure but the initial trilogy is more concerned with Christ as a human man, which is also interesting as little really is.

The game is the least subtle thing on Earth and 343 missed it entirely.

quote:

A lot of people here rip on the single player, but I think the focus on that is completely wrong. It's the multiplayer that 343 truly botched hardcore. Turning the game into Call of Duty was a horrible call. Halo no longer stood out from everything else, meaning its multiplayer community tanked very quickly once Halo 4 came out. Poor deathmatch map design, removing most if not all of the weapon placement around maps, and giving it Call of Duty like time to kill, completely ruined what made Halo exciting.

The multiplayer was pretty okay in 4 but I couldn't be bothered with 5's, I just think it's extra obvious how little they really cared or focused on what the series really was with the themes. There's still some Halo in there in multi at the least.

quote:

From what I heard about the development of the Halo series, Bungie do not know anything about its themes either.

lmao

It's not the most consistent thing either but there's a lot there to unpack and its interesting to see how it both evolved them then threw them away.

quote:

Even before that, 343 hosed up the Reach multiplayer when they took it over. I used to play a ton of Reach with my roommates at the time, then suddenly one day we couldn't go into most of the playlists-including basic poo poo like Slayer and big team battle-split screen unless they had their own Live gold accounts. We could only get into a rotating selection of grab bag playlists for wacky custom modes. It sucked rear end.

Reach multi instantly turned to dogshit when they took over and made the new rulesets that were just MLG esport variants but half-assedly so so nobody was happy with it.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 1, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The story and lore of the halo series is you shoot the aliens until they die while rad music plays

This is also correct and 343 hosed that up a lot too

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is ODST single player worth getting for €5 or whatever it is? I only ever played 1 and 2

Yeah it's a fun little campaign for what it is and the silenced variants of stuff are neat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why is it such a loving nightmare to install an update for a game in PC Game Pass, it crashes and fails 9 times out of 10

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

The new flight sim has 1-3cm resolution of object accuracy across the ground for the entire world. They created an AI to map trees, grass, dirt, roads, and street objects using their bing mapping data and a bunch of deep learning. A typical lawn is like a million rendered blades of grass, and every forest has a fairly accurate representation of where the trees are in real life.

That seems like overkill

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ChocNitty posted:

Dont know why Dead Rising 5 got such poor reviews. I thought it was fun, and the combat is satisfying, plus it has some good online co-op.

I played it with the Capcom Heroes stuff and it was okay

I looked up the regular gameplay later and it looked like I didn't miss much though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DR3 ran at 2 frames a second on my pc with a single zombie on screen, so it's forever the worst one. DR1 is a classic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The super zombies in 2 suck until you make the BFG sonic weapons or whatever then they don't matter at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I said come in! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTveV4Yfh2I XO19 is going now. Apparently Halo Reach for PC and Xbox One will go live right after this event.

loving finally lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Master Chief Collection is both available for pre-install on PC and broken lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why is installing anything at all such a huge goddamn ordeal on game pass. I had to dance around two apps to get Outer Worlds to install at all and MCC just doesn't

uvar posted:

How does Game Pass work with DLC? I assume they aren't generous enough to bundle everything in.

Sometimes they do, sometimes not, something you get a few free goodies

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Disposable Scud posted:

Talos Principal is great. Gamepass not being a good service is one hell of a take.

The value you get out of Game Pass is great. Game Pass the app is loving awful

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Kins posted:

loving around with this Game Pass PC thing since Discord thrust a code at me. I'm assuming nobody plays Gears 1 Ultimate online anymore and I should just jump straight to Gears 5, right? I want to shoot a weird alien man and only have so much HDD space at the moment.

I recall reading that Gears 1 Ultimate straight up doesn't work on Windows 10

quote:

Is anybody getting an error when trying to download Halo MCC on the very well designed Xbox app? I'm able to download everything else on the store.

It's busted yeah

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's not a matter of knowing how to use a computer, the app objectively sucks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I unlocked the Warthog in my first super spin through sheer luck, followed by the horn, and I spent literally my entire time in Forza driving badly in it and it was a lot of fun except for the multiplayer group stuff that you can't accomplish anything in with it lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BonoMan posted:

Horizon 4 as weirdly become my most played game. I was never a driving guy but it's just beautiful (on the X at least) and fun as hell to gently caress around in. I'm like level 122 right now I think.

I want a version of FH4 with destructable cars and then maybe a Flight Simulator Horizons in the future so I can do all the cool poo poo in that game without the learning curve.

The PC version lets you turn on damage modeling; the cosmetics get really beat to poo poo but physically they just start listing and going slower. The F2P one had your tires burst if you hosed up though lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BonoMan posted:

Wait why is PC version different? I mean on the XBOX you can get some cosmetic damage but as far as I can tell no performance loss. I assume it's all a licensing agreement thing...right?

It's one of the difficulty modifiers there, is it not on the bone?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Some Munchkin game is on PC Game Pass now

e: It's just lovely gauntlet I'm p sure

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What the gently caress is Gears 5 doing with its matchmaking

Teams are five players, but you can only bring a party of 3 into quickplay. You can bring any number into ranked and then lose because probably the other team had a full party. Also it takes loving forever. Just let me bring four or five people into the gently caress Around mode!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 21, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cojawfee posted:

I installed it and tried out a a level where I built a track over to a station but then I forgot to change the direction on a junction and the train went of the tracks and I couldn't find an option to put the train back on the track. One menu has a reset button that's greyed out. And there's a reset level option, but I think that just deletes all the track. Also, pressing B on the pause menu (you know, to go back to the game) instead opens their twitter page. No thanks.

Exactly my experience lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RBX posted:

Can't play the Gears 5 I actually own on disc because I played it previously while I still had gamepass. It's a "glitch" and makes me hate this dumb gamepass poo poo all the more.

Own your games.

I don't really see a reason to spend sixty dollars on Gears Five

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

John Romero posted:

look me in the eye and tell me game pass doesn't stomp

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1202231955594477569?s=19

Wandersong was on pc game pass and it's very twee looking but I really had fun with it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ethanol posted:

y do u guys keep saying game of the generation but then talk about something thats not bloodborne??

Badbore

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pathologic 2 is on Xbox game pass now, go play it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm going to call it the xsex

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpFQLw5_N2o

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xsex Slim lookin good

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PC Game Pass is good, except the app which is bad, and I have no reason to even consider buying the next x-box one x series x scorpio x

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol, Gears 5's matchmaking is non-existant. It threw five randos together on one team, then put me and another player on another with some bots

We didn't win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barudak posted:

The weirdest part of Gears 5 is that Gears 4, while in no way great, has the bones of a concept for a more fun
main enemy type that could be more dynamic and interesting and nope heres more gears except now with dull open world zones

The open world parts are so incredibly pointless lol. I still enjoy horde though and escape is fun for the ten minutes it takes.

Also goddamn this game crashes a lot