Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Adhibhautika posted:

XBOX NT 3.51
XBOX 2000
XBOX Millennium
XBOX XP
XBOX SERVER 2003
XBOX 7
XBOX 8.1
XBOX 10

EDIT: XBOX LONGHORN

Xbox/386

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLuC4yZk7us

Escape Goat fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

ethanol posted:

It’s gonna be a big Xbox

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Wheany posted:

Holy poo poo I completely forgot this

Same here... I forgot "SmartGlass" was a thing.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The joycons are the worst controllers made in the last 20 years

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I figure I'll get a PS5 in a couple years when they do the first design refresh, and hopefully results in a console that doesn't look so loving ugly.

Thought maybe I'd get an XBox this gen to catch up on titles I missed from XBox One... but looks like it's basically just Halo and Rare Replay?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Zerot posted:

Bringing up the Pixel 3a is funny. Apple released the new iPhone SE a few months ago, and it's another example of this new "premium-budget" class of consumer devices that are increasingly popping up.

The SE has a worse battery, worse screen, worse camera... but they're all good enough for most non-enthusiast people and the internals are basically the same as phones triple or quadruple the price. I don't know how I can recommend an 11 or 11 Pro to most people I know. I feel that way about the Series S, too.

I tend to agree with your points here, and I think iPhone SE is (to me) surprisingly analogous to Series S.

I sold my iPhone 11 and bought an iPhone SE because it has updated internals, will get support/os updates for 5+ years, and fits in my child-like presidential hands, while also being what I consider a reasonable price for a smartphone. Fundamentally, I don't care about the additional value-adds of the 11 and 11 Pro in terms of screen/resolution/cameras.

Series S makes sense similarly: get a new device and catch up on all the internals (CPU, ports, bus speeds), get support/compatibility for 5-10 years, but target 1080p and be significantly more affordable. The value add of the Series X is 4K resolution and 4K blu rays, which I am not prepared to upgrade my TV setup since half the time I use it for watching DVD-quality-at-best horror schlock.

And much like Microsoft, Apple called the second iPhone SE the iPhone SE

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

The lack of being able to do One X backwards compatibility mode on the Series S is a huge bummer though. Many (most?) of those Xbone titles can't hit 1080p at all, nevermind the benefits of supersampling. So even for my 1080p TV setup, the Series S is a lot less compelling.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Kind of impressive that Microsoft has now three times failed to line up a Halo game within even six months a new console launch.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Barudak posted:

343 doesnt just make mediocre games, the make mediocre games that don't seem to have any vision for what they should be.

Seems a lot like what happens with EA's acquisitions. They keep the franchise warm for a time, but all of the passion and original ambitions are long gone.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

They should have made XBox Series S stackable like Sega Genesis and 32X

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Storm One posted:

Agreed on all that but the whole point is that the S is not supposed to run at 4K, period. Not BC, not Series titles, it's a 1080p system. Who cares if it's the RAM or the GPU or both limiting it? It's limited by design, to be cheaper and smaller, that's the whole point.

A 1080p system that runs games at 900p

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

D1E posted:

Microsoft has mastered the art of selling new hardware to nostalgic nerds who just want to keep playing their Xbox Live Arcade games at increasingly higher resolutions on their new televisions.

Not gonna lie, this is me. Not that interested in any next-gen Xbox games, but as a platform for upscaling Ninja Gaiden it’s got appeal

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Storm One posted:

Yes, at their native resolution, but with much better performance which I'll take over pixelcount any day. It could be rendering OG Xbox at 480p for all I care, just them running without issues would be good enough.

If I were to complain about the back-compat in the S, the lack of disc drive is the bigger omission, and it would be cheaper to include than more RAM.

I would take that tradeoff too (I have a 144Hz but only 1440p monitor which sums up my preferences for gaming).

But there wouldn't need to be a tradeoff at all if Microsoft didn't make another baffling RAM decision.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Has either company mentioned the possibility of an external disc drive add-on? Guessing a lot of parents are going to buy the cheaper system and physical games.

edit: disc drive

Escape Goat fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 19, 2020

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I meant external "disc" drives but neglected to include that word :)

Thinking specifically about if you can use one to play physical games on the digital-only systems.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Bad Parenting posted:

Going into 'next-gen' I just can't see any rationale for why you would by an Xbox. It has zero games you can't get somewhere else, and multiplat game will realistically run pretty much the same as the PS5 if not worse because devs will target the leading system. Gamepass has less games on it than PSnow. All the studios Microsoft bought up will take years to produce anything.

Meanwhile the PS5 has got a whole new Spider-Man game and demon souls at launch. Why would any sane person buy an Xbox after all the gently caress ups in the last 7-8 years?

Gamepass and cheaper entry. Econo-console (not saying it's gonna do well, but it does at least have a reason to exist this generation, unlike the last go around)

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

It also lets you play Xbox One games in authentic 900p

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

AdmiralViscen posted:

Also the current iPhone uses basically all of the multitasking UI and gestures that people made fun of Palm for introducing

And everybody has all the contact consolidation stuff by default

I remember Palm Pre and WebOS having a very warm reception, but people were reluctant to get onboard because of a (correct) hesitation to buy a company's hail mary product.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Sega did it already:

Hornet is prohibited

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Evil Badman posted:

Nah, let 'em play.

"Hey, we're bringing these to PS5 at the normal prices, or free on gamepass for Xbox!"

This has to be the strategy, unless they think they're going to recoup 7.5b by driving people to Xbox.

I wonder how much ESRAM you can buy with 7.5 billion dollars?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Not to mention "normal prices" now is $69.99 or $89.99 canada bucks

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Microsoft will rebrand GamePass as "XBox" and make it compatible with PS5 (and Switch via xCloud).

You will go to your friend's house and point at their PlayStation and ask if they have Xbox. The flagship console will be "Series X with Xbox."

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Stux posted:

didnt the xbone preorders also sell through lol

I remember the old shark tank thread had pictures of "Day One Edition" xbones on store shelves long after release.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Daric posted:

Yeah hence why Microsoft is working to get internet access to those without with their Airband project.

Daily checkins are innocuous. You wouldn’t even notice it and progress shouldn’t be stopped because a minority don’t have access.

Progress such as ________

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_JVVUnCWnY

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Disposable Scud posted:

Why does this thread get so heated?

The real Xbox was the enemies we made in the shark tank

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

like being able to spend hundreds of dollars on AV equipment with a years-long lifespan occasionally is not the same as accumulating even the most basic levels of wealth how do people not know this

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

univbee posted:

Nice hard drive from 1989 that holds 32 megabytes of data.

It holds 32 megabytes of esram

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

With the proprietary hard drive caddies (versus DIY) and the cheaper (but limited) entry-level SKU, definitely some echoes of the 360/PS3 era.

Somehow I've come around from 2013 era XBone schadenfreude, Don Mattrick dunking, and RAM jokes to considering a Series X that I really, truly don't actually need. Also somehow Microsoft made the more appealing enclosure this time around.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

univbee posted:

I just hope on both consoles they make it even easier. Like if something is in cold storage and I attempt to launch it, it prompts me, I hit a button and it tells me to go take a piss waiting for the data to be moved to internal storage automatically.

That's probably what it'll end up being like. And presumably it might let you select something large enough to shuffle the other way when the SSD is (inevitably) full. Maybe suggest the least recently played game or two.

Or even do some shuffling of unused things automatically like macOS does with its SSD/HDD hybrid drives? Though "surprise! we put the game you want to play in cold storage last week" would probably not go over well.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Last generation was comical because, for once, the two systems were extremely easy to directly compare instead of being two equally unusual multi-core cell/power designs, and the bone was unambiguously worse except for TV and SPORTS (and Kinect!).

The only disappointment I recall was that Microsoft steered the ship so hard toward that entertainment-focused iceberg, that they made a games console that couldn't do 1080p.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

Isn't this exactly what Apple did with the watches? No one seems to have beef with that. Although they were smart enough to not reuse letters of the alphabet after 'series'.

No, not really. It goes series and then a number, which increases. I have a series 4 and they just announced a series 6. And the distinction is far less important because software compatibility is far, far less of an issue.

What Microsoft did would be more akin to the “Apple Watch edition” where they used a word that doesn’t really flow by itself as the naming distinction, and simultaneously not making it clear if it’s newer or older.

With Xbox, “series” itself is the name of the console in terms of actual compatibility. And yet neither of those boxes make it clear that the game also works on the Series S.. (Edited because I somehow forgot Series S doesn't have a disk drive so it's irrelevant. Still, for marking things digitally, I believe they are saying Series S|X which is also incredibly awkward?)

I like just about everything Microsoft is doing with this generation. And in some ways blurring the lines between generation (and mid generation) makes sense with their emphasis on GamePass.

But the naming (and those box labels) is a clusterfuck and makes it confusing to tell what works on what system, which is a massive part of the point of having dedicated consoles at all in the first place.

Escape Goat fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 1, 2020

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Magic Mango posted:

While I think the console naming isn’t good, and the box design is incredibly confusing, you can’t blame them for not putting Series S on them since it doesn’t have a disk drive.

That is a very good point. Okay in this case I’m the moron. Rest of my points I stand by :)

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

American McGay posted:

"There's no way consumers will be able to understand this ridiculous naming scheme!" I type on my Samsung Galaxy Note 20-S Ultra+ 5G.

I’m typing it on my iPhone SE (they named the second iPhone SE the iPhone SE)

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Akuma posted:

Now that Doom Eternal is on GamePass I'm getting around to playing it and what the gently caress is going on with the story of this game. It feels like I've missed a whole game's worth of story between the last one and this one.

I played Doom 64 and that extra episode but to say that told a story is a gross exaggeration

They clearly cut large parts of the game because they ran out of time (or chopped it into DLC?). There's a section where you are handed a new type of gun and it's supposed to be when you get it for the first time. But you've had it for awhile at that point.

Would've been better to keep the story minimal than to do... whatever it is that Eternal did and failed at. It was sloppy/rushed/unfinished and detracted a bit from the game.

Excellent gameplay though. Rush the flaming meathook as soon as you get the super shotgun.

Laserface posted:

Doom eternal is not as good as doom 2016.

And yeah the story in doom 2016 wasn't flashy but it was enough. This just feels unfinished.

Agreed! ... but....

Laserface posted:

It's like a text book example of how to make a lazy sequel (by adding new movement mechanics and brighter colours!)

Out of curiosity, what could they have done for a sequel to Doom 2016 that would not qualify as a "lazy sequel"? Make it an RTS?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

BonoMan posted:

What do people think a 4K menu gets them?

I dunno... maybe a menu that looks good? :iiam:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I've heard of cloud storage but this is ridiculous!

Xbox is about to become the new water vaporizor

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Skipped the bone but finding myself wanting the new obelisk. Microsoft let me change my terrible gamertag that I picked 12 years ago. I guess I'll keep an eye out for stock. Not sure what the best options are in Canada.

How's the Elite 2 controller? I wonder if they're planning on making a 3rd?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I signed up for 3 months of GamePass ultimate for $1, changed my ancient GamerTag, and downloaded the Xbox app.

... now all I need is an Xbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

This whole CP debacle makes me glad that Halo Infinite is delayed for an entire year. I still have high hopes for Halo. I need it to be really good, it's mandatory.

Shigeru Miyamoto posted:

A delayed game might be loving terrible, like Duke Nukem Forever, but a rushed game is forever bad