Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Does anyone know where Game Pass games are installed to in Windows? Literally cannot find any games I installed and I can't even find a folder for this new Xbox app

e: nevermind I guess they lock it down because it's a subscription

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

any hot tips on when Series X might be back in stock?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Sleng Teng posted:

just noticed these. so maybe in 15 min as of this post

thanks, someone sent me that but I really am hesitant to give Gamestop my email and phone number to set up an account. I get enough spam calls. (plus the bundle thing)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Finally just got a Series X from Walmart.com, April 9 delivery.

Got in at around 2:45 and hit refresh at 2:50 until the Add to Cart button popped up. Had my info already in and it went smoothly, page didn't freeze or spin or anything. I'm shocked it worked.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I just got my Series X and it owns. I wish I had a list of games that upgraded to 60 FPS (either through optimization or just unlocked framerate)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

you can just sort your game library by platform and it will put the ones with series enhancements at the top with a logo on them.

the back compat games with fps boost are just
Dishonored: Definitive Edition
Fallout 4
Fallout 76
Far Cry 4
New Super Lucky's Tale (120fps)
Prey
Sniper Elite 4
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
UFC 4
Watch Dogs 2

Right, but like some games like Monster Hunter and GTA IV apparently(?) take advantage of an unlocked framerate? So also interested in those.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If they released the game that came out on PS4 but at 60fps and better load times, I'd be all over it. It's an amazing game that somehow hobbled through two generations of consoles that couldn't run it that well. That they got it running at all on PS3/Xbox360 is a testament to R*

considering we're more or less past the screenshot era, it would be really great if devs would start prioritizing framerate above all.

seems like it would be in their best interest to look smooth and fast on streams/Youtube

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I picked up Immortals Fenyx Rising on the Series X and man this game is pretty at 60 FPS.

Really liking it, it’s like kind of like BOTW with the edges smoothed out. Filling the itch of “undemanding action game” that I thought Fallen Order was going to be until I found out it’s more like Star Wars Dark Souls

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

120 FPS on OLED has the most instantaneous input response I've ever used on console, it's a game changer. I play a lot of Gears 5 and I'm just noticeably better at getting the shot off first.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

super fart shooter posted:

if you thought that was something you should see what it does when you play through your final cycle

:hai:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Now I feel like I should go back

:hai:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Quake feels so bad on gamepad. They added some awful acceleration and you can't disable it. Yuck.

Feels absolutely perfect with M+KB though, of course. Man this game is cool. I really can't wait to dive into all of these Quakes again.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I played A Way Out with a friend which was fun because co-op is fun, but I didn't actually think the game or writing was that good.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

downloaded Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth and I have no context for Record of Lodoss war but I'm liking it. It's like SOTN with some cool wrinkles.

plus it's freeeeeee

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Its quite good, even if there are multiple achievements were part of unlocking them requires you to jump on the floor in one room 50 times

didn't get those but very quickly got the one that involves getting cleaned out in that rudimentary craps game

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I bought an Elite 2 and I like it. It lets me jump while moving in Halo, basically the reason I bought it. No problems yet but I’ve heard horror stories.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Making my way through Death's Door, probably 2/3 of the way done. I like it a lot! It's well made, beautiful music, good combat. But I wish there was some kinda map. At least a map that fills in where I've already been. Even just general paths so I know I'm not heading for a dead end.

Every time I boot it up I have to reorient where I'm going and how to get there. I usually just stumble around in a general direction until I find what I'm looking for. There's gotta be a better way.

Not a dealbreaker but it would add a little bit of welcome convenience.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Finished Death's Door. Not the "True Ending" :rolleyes: but the achievement said I beat it so I'm calling it for now.

I liked it and recommend it, even though there was too much wandering around until I figured out where I was or got to where I wanted to go. At the end of the day it wasn't TOO hard to navigate without a map, more just annoying.

Another criticism I have is that it felt like my upgrades didn't do much. We're talking extremely extremely gradual increases, so don't expect to turn into some badass crow. Well, you are a badass crow, but you don't become anything close to overpowered.

One more thing - why can't projectile just be mapped to a face button? Why do I have to hold the trigger and THEN hold B? This sounds like a small thing but it caused me much aggravation.

Anyway the music was lovely, the story was light but thoughtful, the characters were charming. Not too long, either. Think it's still on sale.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

SpiderLink posted:

This Record of Lodoss wonder labyrinth game is fantastic, I'm having a blast with it. I love a good Metroidvania and these mechanics work really well in cutting down on some of the tedium those games can engender.

Yup it’s super fun, glad I gave it a shot

Tho honestly I still haven’t beaten the final boss yet and I’m not sure I will, because it seems like it’s going to take a million tries and I don’t actually care about the story. Still liked the rest of it

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for the tips.

Is Ender Lilies really that good? I feel like I know nothing about it but looked it up and it got rave reviews.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I did not expect to see Guardians of the Galaxy when I did my periodic Game Pass check. Cool.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

wow yeah, GotG has surprised me. I'm not sure I love the minute-to-minute gameplay or even the battle design, but I'm definitely gonna keep playing because it actually has good writing and I'm enjoying the story.

also like the on-the-fly dialogue choice system.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

GotG keeps reminding me of a Disney ride. It almost plays itself, just pushes you through while fun things happen around you.

Great thing to flip to after beating my head against something in Elden Ring for an hour.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Death's Door had some really wonderful music. I really liked that game a lot.

Tunic looks similar and I am very interested

also Shredders looks cool and I hope it has some inanely complicated button combos to just do basic spins à la 1080 Snowboarding

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 16, 2022

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I am pretty astonished at how awful Redfall looks on Series X. Looks and feels early previous-gen.

I mean it looks terrible for a 60 FPS game, much less 30. Meanwhile 4A got Metro: Exodus running at 60 FPS with ray traced global illumination.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 2, 2023

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

does Redfall have some kind of extra input delay?

I actually still want to play this because I'm just a sucker for Arkane's brand of environmental storytelling but it feels awful to actually play

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Tei posted:

It does feel kinda weird. Like with some innertia, aiming is not has snapping has with many other FPS games. I don't know if is input delay or other thing.
Has a shooter, it feels below average.

There's a setting called "input response preset" that's actually just right stick acceleration, I turned it down to "Low" and it feels better. but the input lag is still horrible and I do suspect it's just the 30 FPS thing.

If they gave you a healthy dose of aim assist it might be bearable but nope. also I hate that I can't pause.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

re: Redfall (Series X)

every shadow in this game is just constantly shimmering. probably due to the realtime day/night cycle but it's so distracting.

also rampant texture pop-in, seemingly no ambient occlusion so everything just kinda "floats". and I've noticed this weird trail effect when I pan the camera past some objects. this is just from playing the very opening part, I'm not even past the fire station yet.

I blew up a car and the... "explosion" was legitimately PS2-quality lol

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 2, 2023

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

LOL. shot my shotgun up close to a wooden crate (which of course did not deform or splinter) and the smoke briefly brought the game to somewhere around 10fps. on Series X.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

the rat fandom posted:

So is redfall irredeemable at its core or will it be decent in a few months?

I would say yes. it still does the Arkane Thing and so far I've enjoyed exploring places and piecing together the story. Still, it's a pretty loving far cry from Talos I.

Ironing the jank out + 60fps will do a lot to make it feel better to play. But I'm not sure there's anything they can do to stop it from looking like a 360-era game in spots.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lol. It's not even a stable 30 on Series X. If I didn't know any better I'd absolutely think it was running on an OG Xbox One.

And I keep running into what appears to be shader compilation stutter, which is unexpected for a console game

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Redfall is a world where everything is glued down and made of metal apparently. Try shooting literally anything and you'll just get a standard bullet hole like you were playing Goldeneye 64. I shot a potted palm leaf on a porch and it didn't move an inch, just gave me a nice silver bullet hole on the leaf.

The only things I noticed that you could actually affect were the pumpkins and the things specifically made to explode, like gas cans.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

You know it kills John to go in on Arkane lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aXo7ZamM04

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It’s a tentpole AAA game released in an almost shockingly terrible state. It’s a full blown spectacle at this point.

Sucks because I like Good Arkane. When Deathloop didn’t land for me I thought maybe it was just a matter of taste but this one objectively blows

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think a few more months to polish out the many, MANY technical issues could have changed it from "full blown disaster spectacle" to just mediocre but forgettable.

And I feel bad for that dev who worked hard on a game that's getting this reception, but I don't think anyone believes it's the rank and file's fault.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

Following the commercially unsuccessful release of its sci-fi shooter Prey a year earlier, leadership across the company wanted to make something more broadly appealing. What eventually emerged was the idea to make a multiplayer game in which users would team up to battle vampires and perhaps pay for occasional cosmetic upgrades.

this whole paragraph is a tremendous bummer

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure it's Alex but I always assumed it was his graphics nerdery that got him on board with it.

on the other hand he also likes PC games that aren't broken so it does surprise me

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

it's very funny that even the mighty Series X can be slayed by this Genesis rear end game

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

For some reason neither God of War and Spiderman really hooked me and it's help me stave off a PS5 purchase.

I will get a one eventually though because I really want to play TLOU2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Wiltsghost posted:

drat, look at that Nintendo line. Also, interesting to see the number of exclusives over the years.

https://twitter.com/Welfare_JBP/status/1674226252587192328

lol @ Nintendo almost completely fumbling the bag with Wii U