Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
This has taken me from 'maybe dip in when Halo finally drops' to 'gently caress it I'm already subbed for Gamepass, £10 a month gets me a 'next gen' console on top.

So there's my anecdote, I'm guessing Microsoft is banking on a lot of people like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Roman posted:

I didn't say it was okay, I'm explaining why it exists at all

Just looks like I'm seeing people with a shelf full of Halo Funko Pops and a stack of OG Xbox/360 discs complaining that the normie starter kit for babies doesn't meet their heavy duty gaming needs, like no poo poo

Who has that stat for the % of Xbox 360 consoles that were never taken online in any capacity?

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Living in the UK, when do all the games hit Gamepass? I have no new hardware today but want to play some of the 'launch games' on my One S.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

American McGay posted:

IV suffered from the era of brown game disease.

Shout out to Gears 5, the first Gears game in full colour.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
I thought it was interesting that in a press release they emphasised 'this is not a live service game and you can complete it' - like that's more or less the verbatim quote. It me far more interested because the idea of having to start a whole Destiny sized Sisyphus box really puts me off.

How do I get the demo? In the store I could only see an option to buy the full game.
Edit: NVM, figured it out.

Jables88 fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 1, 2021

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Everyone's experience will vary, but unlike the above posters I recommend the fan-favourite 'Episodes' play order:

Play 0, then skip to 1.
Counter-intuitively, 1 then leads into 2 and then 3.
You can then switch to the 'second trilogy' and play 4-6 in order.
7 is best played after the others.

My credentials: I have played none of these games.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Zat posted:

Yeah, LA Noire came to my mind too. There was nothing to do in the open world but just drive between known locations (also you could just fast-travel by letting your partner drive), there were no distractions and nothing to discover. Still, it did give the setting some additional immersion I guess. It is a cool game.

I think this is a hangover from the original scope of the game which had to be abandoned as the final shipped version was hastily stapled together from anything that was even half finished.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
I've been playing Gears 5 on New Game + and I think I'm hitting some bugs. It seems like I can't complete sidequests where you need to loot certain upgrades to do so, possibly because I already got these on my first run through? It's actually preventing me from leaving areas until I complete the quest but there's nothing to pick up/interact with. Specifically I've hit this on the mission where you get a cooling device from an old derrick.

A bit maddening since I'm really enjoying a second run through and it looks amazing on the S|X - I'm wondering if in retrospect pushing Gears5 back to be a launch title would have been a savvy move. Clearly Halo was destined for this originally.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don't think so tbh, like it was ready an entire year before the Series came out and it looked great on the One X. I also don't think Gears 5 would have been a big system seller for the Series.

That's fair I guess - I think Gears 5 has come to most as a pleasant surprise since 4 was so meh, so there wasn't buckets of goodwill towards the franchise.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Barudak posted:

I think, as has been demonstrates, neither console really needs a title to sell it at the moment.

Yeah this is the factor no one predicted in the exclusives/launch titles conversation. It makes the Halo Infinite delay seem wiser and wiser every day - by the time that's actually available there might be consoles to buy.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
I think the word is that FPS boost is going to come for some titles at some point, but none of them support it now.

This all makes sense, until this was all completely rubber-stamped they weren't going to go the extra mile for any of the Bethesda titles so all we have today is just a Game Pass dump of games already available digitally.

Don't get me wrong that's still cool and I'm installing like 4 games from this already.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Started Morrowind again. Enjoying it a surprising amount playing on a console rather than PC, the nostalgia is really hitting home. Might gently caress around and play it for several months.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Blew my mind to find out you could actually become a Vampire in the vanilla game. Never got anything even close to a whiff of this after dozens of hours and completing the main quest.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Arkham Knight tip: Ignore the bits that are poo poo. Most of the game is awesome and well worth playing.

I still think City is the pinnacle but can see people genuinely preferring Asylum as it doesn't have that open-world bloat (City is better than most in this regard with most optional content being unique and some of the best stuff in the game).

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Obviously this is a hot button issue but I'm getting in on the ground floor for Halo Infinite being awesome.

If people have missed them, the Inside Infinite blogs are full of encouraging tidbits https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/inside-infinite-april-2021.

There's a general theme of breaking Halo back down to basics and nailing them, and multiple direct mentions of learning from things people disliked about 4 and 5.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
The Coalition being involved would be excellent news since they bungled taking over a big shooter franchise with Gears 4 and then really turned it around with Gears 5. Post release support for Gears 5 has been strong as well, I wonder if they'll be involved in that too.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Control should be a series of entirely linear segments like Max Payne so I can actually loving play it and see all the cool poo poo without getting lost in corridors because I'm a dumbass.

Edit: Just realised this could be considered sarcastic, please rest assured I mean this 100%.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Resident Evil 4 was so influential in both horror and action that it essentially invented Gears of War, according to the guys who made Gears of War.

It's an absolutely essential game to play, more so than any other RE title.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

teagone posted:

~30 hours now into my OG FF7 playthrough—took a couple detours to get ultimate weapons for Tifa and Yuffie. Also finally got Tifa's lvl 4 limit break :allears: Is it worth it to do the Wutai side quests at this point? I'm about to head back to Midgar.

Inspired by you I'm playing through for the first time as well. I'm on the cargo ship crossing the ocean, so out of Midgar and a little further on. Was surprised how short Midgar was given all the chat about it, I guess without 3x speed it would have taken substantially longer.

I don't really know what I'm doing Materia wise other than trying to keep lots of them equipped so they level up, is there anything I should be doing at this stage? Bearing in mind I'm not struggling with fights at all, just interested in long term success.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Knockout City feels the closest to an Unreal/Quake kind of game I've played in years. Does anyone know what I mean?

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Restarted The Outer Worlds on my Series X, died after 2 hours then my console synced my save games and I lost all progress and was brought back to a file I played back in January of 2020. No Autosave even survived.

I guess I know the answer but is there any possible way of recovering data?

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
So it turns out my old Outer Worlds file is at a very similar place to the one I've lost so I'm just carrying on from there.

I'm really enjoying it on the Series X - apparently the major issues I had with the game were frame rate and loading times, who knew?

It seems to be getting better as I go on, and from the comment above I gather it isn't very long - which is great!

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

hanyolo posted:

The DLCs were pretty enjoyable too if you want more after you finish the main story

Nice try greentext, but that's not the Game Pass way. Credits roll then I'm off on my next adventure.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Bloodroots is really good. A perfect Game Pass game, as I am motivated enough to play through to the credits and then just uninstall.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Death’s door looks very cool but as an Xbox exclusive indie I can’t be wrong in thinking it must come to gamepass right?

No idea, but it's fairly clear that Game Pass is rewarding the patient.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

bushisms.txt posted:

https://youtu.be/Xf6iELuLqM4

Really excited for this. Cool that they got an actual vampire to design the world.

Wow this is really shaping up. It's a shame this didn't cover anything about loot/character progression which is where games like this live and die, but everything else looks brilliant.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Fallout 4 really has so little going for it. It's amazing how much of a drop it is from 3, let alone New Vegas.

Outer Worlds is better than F4 in nearly every way - I've seen it dismissed as 'shallow' but this is better than having a load of mediocre quests and mechanics just to pad out your open world.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Laserface posted:

I installed GTA5 on gamepass not realising that the last time i played it was on 360 and thus dont have a completed save. I wanted to kind of just have a game to gently caress around in for a half hour or so on lunch breaks and stuff.

the opening mission with its weird lovely Rockstar control scheme made me immediately uninstall it. not playing through that rear end again.

High five fellow 'uninstalled during the GTA5 tutorial' guy. I think control schemes for that kind of game have just come on too much, it's honestly baffling to me that so many people continue to play that game to this day. Good for them I guess. I beat it at launch but didn't want to hang around in it.

Edit: Check your inboxes for Halo beta invites! Got mine.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Does anyone know how to use Xbox Cloud Gaming through a browser? I'm in the UK if that is relevant.

I keep getting stuck going round in circles and ending up at a page that says 'Thank You For Your Interest' and shows me the list of countries that supports it, which includes mine. I never actually get to connect.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Do you have an Adblock turned on?

No - I was on a VPN but disabling that didn't make a difference. I'm using Chrome on a Mac, but didn't get anywhere switching to Safari.
Should I try using Edge?

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

I had it working on Chrome and Safari on my Mac, I’m in Ireland. I think I ended up turning off all my adblockers and extensions on the site

Still no luck. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Barudak posted:

All items are non-procedural and fixed drops in fixed locations, enemies, or sidequests.

This makes sense, I think it's more of an actual RPG than a looter-action RPG.

Should we be worried that there are no reviews with the game releasing in 10 hours?

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
I guess it's kind of funny that we're so hyped for a game we actually know very little about. Perhaps that's why.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Bardeh posted:

A review appeared very briefly but was taken down - 8.8 apparently. Embargo is up in around 90 minutes I believe.

As much as I love loot-based ARPGs, I'm happy this is a one and done sort of game because there are so many good games coming out at the moment and I wanna be able to play them all.

Omno is also out today on Game Pass - it's a really chill puzzle/adventure made by one dude and it's really relaxing from the hour or so I've played so far.

8.8 out of 10 one and done game is what I'm on Game Pass for. I really don't need another endless loot grind.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Not sure whether the thread paid much attention but Bloodroots is very good and well worth checking out.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

American McGay posted:

You're probably right. I cancelled the download and checked the "all owned games and games with gold tabs and it didn't show up in either.

How the hell did this get secretly added as a Game With Gold? Disgruntled employee?

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

The Kins posted:

It's not a Game with Gold, it's "Included with Gold", which seems to be used for things they can yank at any time like for free weekends. If I had to guess, either the promo started early due to someone fat-fingering a keyboard, or it didn't get properly cancelled/rescheduled because they're a tad busy ATM.

Ah that makes more sense.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Might as well ask here.

I've got a bug in Tell Me Why that's preventing me from progressing. I'm trying to trigger one of the memory things and it just cuts out part way through, and there's no way forward. I've watched the scene online confirming what I'm seeing is incorrect - what's more, I get the same issue whether I play on Series X or via the cloud.

Any suggestions? I've reinstalled, rebooted, played on completely different hardware - is this game just now broken?

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

American McGay posted:

If it's happening both locally and streaming it means that your save file is messed up in a way that causes the error. You can go into the game management menu in the XboxOS and completely wipe both your local and cloud saves.

Thanks - hope I can somehow pick up at least close to where I left off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Asnorban posted:

Are the tutorials in Flight Simulator all broken? I've tried the first 3 a few times, and each time they have each broken and failed to advance.

From my experience - yes.