Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So, Microsoft is going to announce new hardware next month. Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm so happy the Madden isn't anywhere near as relevant as it once was, due to EA buying the NFL license and killing Sega's 2K series.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Does Microsoft even a profit from the Xbox division?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I've just heard some people saying that Microsoft may just walk out of the gaming hardware business. But if the Xbox hardware is successful than why would they?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 19, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

They just announced new consoles (plural) in the works at e3 so they arent leaving soon.

Wait WHAT!?!?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

univbee posted:

Sony made a bad combination of mistakes with the PS3 and its launch messaging was heavily marred by greed. Weirdly if they launched it without PS2 BC that might have been enough since it would have shaved $100 off launch unit prices. The $299 360 was pretty useless as-is due to no storage, and you also needed $50/year XBL Gold, so it wasn’t really cheaper overall but it was cheaper to get the base unit so that was enough. At least the PS3 helped Sony win a format war for once.

In 2006 the PS3 was slated to continue the utter dominance that was the PS2. Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy XIII, etc were all exclusive to the console. It was destined to be the PS2 all over again with almost every big franchise being a Playstation exclusive. But once Sony announced the price point, and especially after the so-so launch, all the publishers began porting their games to the Xbox 360. Now to be fair this would have happened anyway, but the PS3 bungle notably accelerated things.

The cheapest PS3 at launch was $624 in todays money. With the "true" model being $750. The fact that the PS3 wasn't dead on arrival is a testament to how much of a powerhouse Sony was at the time. Imagine how the Xbox 360 would fair if Microsoft did the same. I can't really undersell to the younger gamers of how dominate the Playstation brand was in the early a mid-2000s. The only thing that could have killed Sony's dominance was a monumental gently caress up to surpass even Sega's blunders and that's exactly what Sony did.

And poo poo, even at the end of the generation Sony basically caught up as they were only a few millions units behind Microsoft. So what you want about Sony, but they really know how to sell hardware, with the Vita being the only (though glaring) exception.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 19, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Akuma posted:

When was Assassins Creed ever PS3 exclusive? It ran like poo poo on there compared to 360, and I don’t think it was ever announced as anything but dual platform.

The game was announced only for the PS3 when first revealed. Though that didn't last long.

exquisite tea posted:

DMC4 wasn't a PS3 exclusive, either. Or Final Fantasy XIII.

Same as the above, except Final Fantasy XIII took longer and thus had that infamous E3 moment when the game was unveiled at Microsoft's E3 conference.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Do Xbox One X enhanced games often have better textures and effects, or is it usually a simple resolution jump?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What's the general consensus of the best Halo game?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's crazy how Halo used to be Call of Duty levels of megapopular, but now is just another notable game release out of the sea of dozens.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I wonder why Halo has had such a steep drop in popularity over the past decade?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Halo

Seems that the series has sold consistently with Halo 3 being the outlier. Though that means the series has declined in relative popularity.

TheScott2K posted:

The WiiU was Nintendo's most successful launch ever

Successful launches don't mean poo poo because it's all early adopters at that point who are all diehard fans.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0la83Wsh4E

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Game prices make me proud to be an American.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

When's Xbox TWO?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I wonder what route Microsoft will take? Will it just be another well designed powerhouse with x86 architecture?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Barudak posted:

Rumor is there will be a weaker console that uses streaming to do actual graphics and then an expensive high fidelity console.

Im going to go left fielder and say they release the Xbox Cross which is just a switch but has green trim on it

So basically a Switch that doubles as a cloud streaming console. And another system that is powerful enough to run the cloud games natively.

Interesting but I don't think streaming games is that popular.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A cheap Switch like console (Xbone powerful) with Gamepass could be very effective.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

univbee posted:

The main stumbling block with tablets is their lack of electrical power. The Switch runs at like 11 watts while even the basic PS4 and XB1 need like 200 watts. And like 70-80+ gigs of storage just for one game in many cases. And the Switch has pretty low battery life despite its low power consumption.

True, but I'm thinking 2020 more so than 2017.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Lambert posted:

Still seems unrealistic.

I can see why. Though to be fair Holiday 2020 will be almost three years after the Switch which sits in-between PS3 and Xbone in power.

Real hurthling! posted:

They want a stream box because they want to kill consoles

I can see this.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

This is why Netflix is so popular. People often experience something once MAYBE twoce and that's it. This is why Gamepass has so much potential.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

BC is cool and good, but it's less important now due to "remasters" and digital store rereleases.

The reason why BC was such a big deal on the PS2 was because the original PlayStation had a MASSIVE library at the time, so it wasn't uncommon to want to revisit it or picking up a classic you've never played before.

Today, you can just sell your old system library and pick up cheap remasters of your favorite games and download older titles you want to try out.

Edit - as contradictory as it seems though, I still think a Gamepass focused Switch-like Xbox system would clean house if executed right.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 8, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Barudak posted:

The PSP Go had no subscription system and was the third revision to a handheld that was already on its way out.

People have to realize execution and context are everything to an idea's success.

A console/portable hybrid was seen as not feasible as the Nomad, Turbo Express, and PSP Go bombed, yet the Switch has performed very well due to ironing out the problems and faults of the former hardware.

A Gameflix hybrid has some real potential if done right.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The PSP being a flop is probably the most insane gaming revisionism I've seen that has gotten traction. The system was a smash success that was selling more than any other Nintendo handheld besides the DS. The issue was that the system ran out of steam after five years.

The Vita had a long list of issues, but the most critical was that it promised console quality games on the go, but didn't deliver. It was clear that people were hungry for such a device a, that the Borderlands 2 bundle resulted in the system having reasonable sales for a month. This is despite the game being a two year old lovely port.

If the Vita had reasonable ports of Call of Duty, Fallout, and similar titles it wouldn't have light up the charts but it likely wouldn't have failed either.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

univbee posted:

There's a console for those who want to pay $499 for 4K graphics. It's called

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Qdc9Vf1HY

Where'd they get 500 million from? Did they include handhelds?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

without shelling out tens of thousands of dollars to sketchy cryptotards to get enough parts to build a semi-decent PC that’ll be obsolete in a year so I can download trojans and monitoring programs from poo poo rear end Steam, and also not on the loser PS4 Slo that looks and runs worse with just about every multiplat and its system interface and download speeds and store layout make me want to barf chunks all over Kaz Hirai’s face- instead, I’ll be playing on the most powerful game console ever created... Yeah, I’m thinking I’m back.

This is fatcious right?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 17, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Typo from cell phone meant to put "fatcious".

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

No, either way.

PC parts are more or less back down to normal, the cyrptoprices are over.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Oh, I was solely focused on video cards. But yeah RAM has gone down (though still a bit high), and RAM is like the cheapest core component.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

RBX posted:

Comparing the entire Xbox library to the PS2 or GBA is hilarious. I'm pretty sure every Xbox exclusive ever won't add up the PS2. It's a little different. The only Xbox Games people might care about next gen is MCC and I'm struggling to think of another.

Rare Replay.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

univbee posted:

But the NES Classic exists now.

I can play Conker's Bad Fur Day and Banjo Kazooie on the NES Classic?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i don't see why you'd want to play those on the nes classic or anywhere else
They're good games.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So with Xbox One X, only resolution and framerate are improved? Is actual texture quality improved the same way with say messing with PC settings of a game?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm just curious if it would be accurate to say that the XBox One X is the most powerful system out now, if it doesn't utilize its power under its hood.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I mean to further establish what I mean, a game on the Xbox One X has to be designed to work well with the Xbox One. So while things like resolution and framerates can be improved, developers can't do something like say take out a setpiece that didn't work on the Xbox One, but add in for Xbox One X players.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Monday_ posted:

They're not allowed to do that.

Exactly my point.

univbee posted:

I don't know if Microsoft has a hard rule about this but Sony definitely does for the PS4 and PS4 Pro, in that developers are not allowed to hold off features other than graphics/framerate from base console users. No "upgraded console only" games or gameplay features, no segregated multiplayer servers, nothing like that.

At the end of the day the core CPU doesn't undergo much of a jump on the Xbox One X compared to the original Xbox One so there isn't much in terms of "under the hood" improvements you can make to a game. It's like if you upgraded from an i5-6500 to an i5-6600K, it's not going to be making some incredible difference, so stuff like Destiny 2 is still 30fps because of the CPU but they were able to boost the resolution.

A small selection of games do have texture packs on Xbox One X and get enhancements that way. Some of the games with these nicer textures include Fallout 4, Rise of Tomb Raider, Middle Earth Shadow of War, and Quantum Break. It's not hugely common. I do believe some games do some more minor tweaks like how on PC you'll get benefits bumping some settings from "medium" or "high" to "ultra high", but I'm not sure how prevalent this is.

I see. This helps a lot, thanks.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Almost all PC games are tethered to the weakest link console as well.

I agree and it sucks.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I feel that some people didn't get the point I was trying to make, but I'm afraid if I further explain I'll wink the thread even further.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Xbox One X is killing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The last good sports game was ESPN 2K5.

Fite me.